Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th October 2020, 16:50   #76
BHPian

Re: Mahindra Thar : Official Review

I did it..I did it.. what? Managed to get into the 2020 Thar.
My vital stats:
Height : 5' 9/10" (whatever)
Weight : 90 (liar)

Thar is intimidating, like climbing a horse, nothing to hold on to excepting prayers, (the sales girl kept encouraging me).

I did enter the backseat, but it was a task, side facing seats will be better, I presume.

Not much backward movement of the seat, I needed 1 or 2 more notch to be absolutely comfortable, (not a deal breaker, but cramped situation, what will happen in 5/7 years is another story) I'm coming from a Wagon R, Nano and Nexon.

Interiors are dark and dingy, top down a must.

Multiple TD is on the cards, for as many variants as possible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Born 2 Be Wild View Post
In delhi The insurance quote is 85K Approx from dealer,

Your sales rep is scaring you that is all, in case of any mishap claim is covered by the insurance provider not the Car co.
I got insurance quote Zero Dep. from 2 dealers in Kanpur
36k for base AX P FST. To max
45k for LX D HT.
Why is there so much difference?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankar View Post
This will probably....so short wheelbase.
Excellent observation, and reasoning
Vinod_nair is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 17th October 2020, 17:01   #77
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinod_nair View Post

I got insurance quote Zero Dep. from 2 dealers in Kanpur
36k for base AX P FST. To max
45k for LX D HT.
Why is there so much difference?

Well Sir the dealer in kanpur must be a very honest businessman if the dealership has offered you a quote of 45k for insurance cover, wondering how that is possible as its lower then 99% quotes i have come across,if you do not mind could you please share the details of that insurance quotation.
Usually dealerships get incentives on all insurances and loans done through them for loans its a flat 2% on disbursal amount.
Born 2 Be Wild is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th October 2020, 17:24   #78
BHPian

Quote:
Well Sir the dealer in kanpur must be a very honest businessman...if you do not mind could you please share the details of that insurance quotation.
Here it is.
Mahindra Thar : Official Review-img20201017wa0014.jpg
Hope this helps
Vinod_nair is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th October 2020, 17:57   #79
Senior - BHPian

Just for information for fellow BHP’ians - My booking was done on the 4th October. Today , the dealer tells me that delivery will be End of Jam 2021. It was a verbal ‘End Nov’ before I pulled out the cheque book now moved right by 2 months.
Old 17th October 2020, 18:14   #80
VRJ
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinod_nair View Post
Here it is.
Wow, the insurance quote is shocking to be honest. 45k is a decent amount. Here in vizag, Neon motors is charging 91k for a diesel AT Hard-top. They’re shamelessly even charging logistic charges of 5900 and a minimum accessory kit for 25k (not sure if this is compulsory). Following is the price list I received:

Cheers!
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Neon Price List oct-2020.pdf (914.5 KB, 277 views)

Last edited by aah78 : 17th October 2020 at 19:49. Reason: EDIT: Removed ATTACH tags.
VRJ is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th October 2020, 18:15   #81
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by indian21r View Post
That is very dealer specific. The dealers in Hyderabad said that they will try to match the outside insurance quote. As I was not looking for any other discounts per se, I was very clear insurance will be my choice. Tell the dealer straight you are will to take the risk with cashless claims etc. Support maybe a little less from SA's in these instances but that is about it.
I was ok to take the risk but then he says its not possible also what i worry is they will delay in delivery intentionally if questioned more right now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slipstream11 View Post
The insurance is as per the whims of the dealer. You will get a much cheaper quote from outside. Push the dealer to accept it. My dealer is okay with the arrangement. In fact they have asked me to share the quote (from outside) and they have promised to match it.
I pushed him to accept but then he showed me a post accident XUV300 whose insurance was taken from outside and was lying since 15 days as no surveyor for inspection.

Quote:
In delhi The insurance quote is 85K Approx from dealer, I told my mahindra sales rep i am not ready to pay that much,Mahindra sales rep said he will give me a competitive rate, i have clearly mentioned to him if the quote is not as per market pricing for a new policy i will get the insurance from my own agent who has quoted 58K for a Zero depp policy with engine cover! He said its ok with them if i get the policy from outside.

Your sales rep is scaring you that is all, in case of any mishap claim is covered by the insurance provider not the Car co.
There are couple of companies attached to the dealer here (HDFC Ergo/ Tata AIG). My question is it ok to take policy outside from the same companies and if yes, would there there be any problem or difference in claim process in-case of any mishap?

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamjoelj View Post
Have booked the Thar Diesel AT HT, and was quoted Rs.99543 at Pothens Kochi. Since delivery is going to take a while, decided to negotiate later on it.
I am too waiting for the same as if intervened now they may delay delivery as no customer booking number given or expected date of delivery promised.
Old 17th October 2020, 18:25   #82
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkrishnakj View Post
Just for information for fellow BHP’ians - My booking was done on the 4th October. Today , the dealer tells me that delivery will be End of Jam 2021. It was a verbal ‘End Nov’ before I pulled out the cheque book now moved right by 2 months.
I can confirm that. I got a call from the dealer this morning, was informed that the delivery date would be around 13th Jan. I had booked the Thar LX AT HT (too many acronyms) online and within minutes of launch on 2nd Oct.

Now if Thar had the riding characteristics to my liking, I would have been disappointed with this news. After about 50kms of test riding over different terrains, I am unsure, if I want to take the plunge. Hence this wait actually helps.

I have conveyed my (and possibly this community’s) sentiment regarding the poor ride quality to the ASM and Mahindra customer care. I will only convert the booking only if there’s noticeable improvement in street/ highway ride quality by the time of delivery.

I know, in some sense, this means that my booking amount will be stuck with M&M for another 3 months (or more) but I see no other way to persuade them to do like a v1.5 before deliveries begin. I would urge all those who're unhappy with the ride quality to communicate this feedback to Mahindra CC or ASM.
Rajiv0909 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 17th October 2020, 18:46   #83
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkrishnakj View Post
If my dealer does this i am dead sure i will cancel the booking and wait an year, booked in first week october and delivery in january is a big no no for me! Have my fingers crossed lets see if the dealer here sticks to his verbal confirmation.
Old 17th October 2020, 20:07   #84
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajiv0909 View Post
I have conveyed my (and possibly this community’s) sentiment regarding the poor ride quality to the ASM and Mahindra customer care. I will only convert the booking only if there’s noticeable improvement in street/ highway ride quality by the time of delivery.
Don't expect much of a change. Even after 20 years and many changes (including a new chassis), the Scorpio still rides all bumpy & jiggly. Strange how Mahindra tunes one body-on-frame so well (Marazzo), and then others not so well.
GTO is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 17th October 2020, 20:27   #85
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SportsMedicine View Post

I pushed him to accept but then he showed me a post accident XUV300 whose insurance was taken from outside and was lying since 15 days as no surveyor for inspection.

There are couple of companies attached to the dealer here (HDFC Ergo/ Tata AIG). My question is it ok to take policy outside from the same companies and if yes, would there there be any problem or difference in claim process in-case of any mishap?
There must be something else underlying the example quoted to you by your advisor.

Neither the vehicle manufacturer nor the dealer has any say in this. Once you are insured by an insurer, the servicing will be done and taken care of by the insurer - the dealer has no part to play in the claim servicing process. The claim settlement and servicing is the same irrespective of who your insurer is and the source through which you initiated the buying process.

Moreover, most private insurers are service oriented. Majority of the insurers provide digitally enabled damage assessment process and the overall settlement experience is pretty seamless (unless of course there is an exception).

I think you should be firm with your dealer and clarify this. They cannot force you to buy insurance through them, nor can they rightfully delay the claim servicing and repairs in case of a mishap (assuming that you approach the ASS for repairs).

The difference in quotes is no small amount.

Last edited by Slipstream11 : 17th October 2020 at 20:37.
Slipstream11 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 17th October 2020, 20:42   #86
BHPian

Very good review and product both. Almost full marks to build, fit and finish.

My 2 queries are: wont front facing seat in 2nd row better option than current one considering ingress from front row is very difficult?

Why bumper/fender job looks like half done with uneven gaps, length, height and even colors? Or is it ok since this is primarily off-roader?

From product and marketing point of view, I believe front face has 50% weightage in selection of any car. Majority of people buy cars based on this front face impression which is otherwise very good except bumper.
Old 17th October 2020, 20:51   #87
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Strange how Mahindra tunes one body-on-frame so well (Marazzo), and then others not so well.
I have never seen one in person, only pictures; isn’t the Marazzo more of a minivan like a sienna or odyssey though, vs a 4Runner or FJ (or in this case the mahindra counterparts)? And if so, would this be a fair comparison?

Also, are there any other real trucks out here that ride better, that the Thar can be compared with?

I ask because I have never personally driven any car in India ever and booked the Thar, without a test drive even, based solely on reviews, and expecting this puppy drives not too bad compared to the Tacoma/FJ trucks that am familiar with.

I’d hate to be disappointed; your input is much appreciated.
Old 17th October 2020, 22:31   #88
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SportsMedicine View Post
I was ok to take the risk but then he says its not possible also what i worry is they will delay in delivery intentionally if questioned more right now.

I am too waiting for the same as if intervened now they may delay delivery as no customer booking number given or expected date of delivery promised.
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamjoelj View Post
Have booked the Thar Diesel AT HT, and was quoted Rs.99543 at Pothens Kochi. Since delivery is going to take a while, decided to negotiate later on it.
You are planning to negotiate later but then,
what are the chances that during delivery you can buy insurance from outside?
They will delay the sale saying it’s compulsory to buy from them. Might as well allot the car to obliging customers.
30k is big money for them to lose. Seeing the demand we can safely assume that latecomers will be happy to oblige, be it pricey insurance or unwanted kits/accessories.
Maybe escalate now. Hopefully Mahindra takes note. The dealership might avoid delaying delivery too.
greendream is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th October 2020, 22:59   #89
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by greendream View Post
You are planning to negotiate later but then,
what are the chances that during delivery you can buy insurance from outside?
They will delay the sale saying it’s compulsory to buy from them. Might as well allot the car to obliging customers.
30k is big money for them to lose. Seeing the demand we can safely assume that latecomers will be happy to oblige, be it pricey insurance or unwanted kits/accessories.
Maybe escalate now. Hopefully Mahindra takes note. The dealership might avoid delaying delivery too.
I have mailed Mahindra on 08 Oct 20 asking if it's compulsory to take insurance through the dealer....sadly no response to today i.e 17 Oct 20.
Shall again shoot a mail and wait. Booking done on 06 October 20...till now no tentative date of delivery.
techfreak is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th October 2020, 23:05   #90
BHPian

Mod Note : Please do NOT post messages that add little or no informational value to the thread. We need your co-operation to maintain the quality of this forum. We advise you to read the Forum Rules before proceeding any further. Request to post ONLY when you have something substantial to add to a discussion.

Last edited by GTO : 18th October 2020 at 10:13.
RollinWheels is offline   Received Infraction

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks