Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th October 2020, 10:40   #136
Senior - BHPian

Re: Mahindra Thar : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1.2TSI7DSG View Post
For me the more the sales the more the preowned markert in 3 years
Those who are waiting for a Thar tsunami in the used car market 2-3 years down the line do consider the usual trend with these vehicles. They wont be cheap.
The old Thar was always over-priced in the used market and so will be the new one. That's just my guess. So, I am keeping my expectations low.
Moreover, this is a full blown SUV and it will be abused. Not sure if good clean examples will be available.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAHR View Post
Almost 60% of prospective Thar buyers are first-time car buyers.l
Not sure if this number is correct. Did they mean first time SUV / 4X4 buyers? or are they really saying 9000 of those never ever owned a car?
Old 20th October 2020, 10:51   #137
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by amol4184 View Post
I have a hunch that all the complaints that people have with Thar, will be applicable to Jimny too just more severely. Your choices at that point will boil down to hard core or harder core.
Having seen the Jimny, I totally agree with you. Will be fun when and if Jimny actually comes out. :control

Those looking forward to the Jimny shouldn't miss this post from which I'm sharing below pics -

Thar has no practical luggage space for the weekend luggage for four? Jimmy has space for 4 wallets.

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-jimny-02.jpg

Thar has a tight rear space? Below is the BHPian sitting in passenger seat with the driver seat attached to his position.

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-jimny-04.jpg

Thar has a bad ride quality? Here's Jimny dancing around in the moose test -

It doesn't hit you till you see the Jimny in person - it's a tiny car. The dimensions of Jimny fall between SPresso and Alto. Such a car is not going to solve the issues with the Thar, except in tight off-road scenarios. If Thar is getting compared to Sonet for practicality and price purposes, Jimny will have a hard time against the humble WagonR.

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-images-1.jpeg
Pic source

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 20th October 2020 at 10:59. Reason: Added ride point.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (39) Thanks
Old 20th October 2020, 11:10   #138
srh
BHPian

Re: 15,000 Mahindra Thars booked till date!

Quote:
Originally Posted by greendream View Post
57% of buyers being first time car buyers, sounds exaggerating. Even if it’s true it looks like those first timers got their priorities wrong. With its limitation set as a primary vehicle, Thar should be lower down on their consideration list. Don’t think off roading where Thar is competent, suddenly is on all those buyers itinerary.

It’s painful to see customers treated like this. Reminds me of license raj days. Being an Indian manufacturer it is better Mahindra learns to respect its countrymen. After all it might be a different and VFM offering but not a steal at those prices. It’s quite foolish on their part to say this level of demand is unexpected.
They designed the product, gave it a wider appeal, publicised strongly, so its silly not to look at the supply logistics. Why create demand when such confusion exists concerning supply.
I wish the Thar was sold by some other maker. It looks and feels very little like jeeps people know off.

First timers or others like that presence, engines and AT. I would wish the Jimny to arrive earlier or Some other maker to benefit from this craze. Even without 4*4, such cars will taste success.
My family would buy the Thar. Sorry to say Mahindra with this confusing sales experience, doesn’t deserve the Thar.
The patronizing tone towards 'first timers' is amusing

And the diatribe against Mahindra is highly misplaced. No one can accurately predict demand before a product is actually launched - everything works on forecasts. And forecasts are mostly an extrapolation of past experience.

And to expect a 2x/ 3x scaling in capacity at the switch of a button is (to put it mildly) ridiculous. Automotive supply chains are incredibly complex with a few thousand individual parts included in the bill of materials with hundreds of vendors providing various parts, systems & sub-systems. The whole system has to work synchronously - a single delayed part can leave the final vehicle stranded in PDI for days.
srh is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 20th October 2020, 11:13   #139
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Having seen the Jimny, I totally agree with you. Will be fun when and if Jimny actually comes out. :control

Thar has no practical luggage space for the weekend luggage for four? Jimmy has space for 4 wallets.
Thanks for resetting the reality man. I guess I woke up wrong side of the bed when I was thinking it will be comparable.

Reality has set in, Thar will be the first to enter the garage.
Old 20th October 2020, 13:37   #140
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post

It doesn't hit you till you see the Jimny in person - it's a tiny car. The dimensions of Jimny fall between SPresso and Alto. Such a car is not going to solve the issues with the Thar, except in tight off-road scenarios. If Thar is getting compared to Sonet for practicality and price purposes, Jimny will have a hard time against the humble WagonR.

Attachment 2069970
Pic source
Oh boy I was purely getting by the dimensions on Australian website but these pics are reality checks. Many thanks! I had never seen these pics.

The one showing rear legroom is making me nervous. It's 2 people + a dog car. I doubt if anyone will want to put their kids there?

It has to be a 5 door version to battle 3 door Thar. But then 5D Thar is in the plan too. So all in all, current 3D Thar should remain more "accessible" choice in SWB enthusiast vehicle, especially over 3D Jimny.
And then there's the question of MS watering down 5D Jimny. What's stopping them to subtract 4x4 altogether to keep costs down. It's not like they have their ear to the ground.
amol4184 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th October 2020, 14:00   #141
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinod_nair View Post
Just with 2 days sighting of Suzuki Jimney Sierra on the roads, and interest on the Thar thread has dropped down to a trickle, and footfall at showroom, SA following up with prospective buyers.
Love this, interesting times ahead.
It's a strange co-incidence , nothing else IMHO. The hype was going to die someday and things would have been back to normal like XUV500 days. I feel the long waiting time is also playing a crucial role here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAHR View Post
Almost 60% of prospective Thar buyers are first-time car buyers Now that's a scary thought, with regard to uncontrolled acceleration, high-speed cornering, parking on crowded streets and ill-advised use of 4-wheel drive transmission.
Also I hope it doesn’t deter the new timers from buying a simpler car later in their life. I know it can scar some people and turn them off completely towards cars in general.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1.2TSI7DSG View Post
Seriously scary. I have seen newbies topple the old one at the first flick of the steering wheel. This beast needs a license in itself.

For me the more the sales the more the preowned markert in 3 years
Only thing to see would be how much abuse the car can handle by the newbies, but yes, the market will be flooded in 2-3 years with 2020 Thars going by the numbers.
turbowhistle is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th October 2020, 15:03   #142
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srh View Post
The patronizing tone towards 'first timers' is amusing

And the diatribe against Mahindra is highly misplaced. No one can accurately predict demand before a product is actually launched - everything works on forecasts. And forecasts are mostly an extrapolation of past experience.

And to expect a 2x/ 3x scaling in capacity at the switch of a button is (to put it mildly) ridiculous. Automotive supply chains are incredibly complex with a few thousand individual parts included in the bill of materials with hundreds of vendors providing various parts, systems & sub-systems. The whole system has to work synchronously - a single delayed part can leave the final vehicle stranded in PDI for days.
Don’t see how I was patronising first timers in my post. The Thar not meeting their requirements was my opinion.
When the forecasting is done, the important parameters like customer preferences for AT, modern Suv looks, newer engines had to be incorporated in the forecast models. If that’s the case, it’s a given that Mahindra should expect healthy sales. Further, how can one look at old Thar and it’s reception and extrapolate. This is a substantially different product when compared.
Mahindra anticipating demand is what I talked about, not scaling up. Agreed Auto supply chains are complex indeed.
3.5 years back new Thar development was officially announced. Certainly much long before that development would have begun. Don’t you think it’s long enough to calibrate supply chain logistics?

Last edited by greendream : 20th October 2020 at 15:07. Reason: Spacing
Old 20th October 2020, 16:04   #143
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by greendream View Post
Mahindra anticipating demand is what I talked about, not scaling up. Agreed Auto supply chains are complex indeed.
3.5 years back new Thar development was officially announced. Certainly much long before that development would have begun. Don’t you think it’s long enough to calibrate supply chain logistics?
Sorry I'm not the person you tagged your post for. But I don't think MM expected these many bookings themselves because a) it's not a mainstream product. 15k in 15 days is a huge number for such niche vehicle b) it's not cheap either c) previous Thar didn't set charts on fire d) with Corona still rampaging, economy in the swamp, who could have thought car sales to go through the roof, leave alone that of a a lifestyle vehicle
amol4184 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 20th October 2020, 16:25   #144

We will see the used car market flooded with new Thars in the later half of 2021 with these many bookings. I am sure people have overestimated the practicality this SUV offers. But with no other distant contender pitted against the Thar we could only see this going up !

Why cant tata work on a contender soon which I guess Beharam Sir were working on - a Tata Sumo ?
Old 20th October 2020, 16:47   #145
BHPian

Well all the talk of used car market being flooded with Thars is only going to happen if they first start delivering.

My dealer just called and confirmed the promise delivery date as 17th March for my booking done on 10th Oct. What can I say?
How much I wished to drive this soon enough, but this is crazy waiting period. I am sure it will come down as booking cancellations happen, but don't think by much.

Also, many have booked and waiting for longer TDs later to make up their mind and many will fall of the list surely. Let's see where this beings the actual delivery, but surely not in 2020. Huh!!! Sad!!!
Old 20th October 2020, 17:09   #146
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by justwheels View Post
Well all the talk of used car market being flooded with Thars is only going to happen if they first start delivering.

My dealer just called and confirmed the promise delivery date as 17th March for my booking done on 10th Oct. What can I say?
How much I wished to drive this soon enough, but this is crazy waiting period. I am sure it will come down as booking cancellations happen, but don't think by much.

!
Woah thats a long wait time,i somehow get the feeling that maybe dealers might cash in on this predicament by charging an unofficial premium fee from customers to give them delivery earlier,at the cost of some other unsuspecting customer.

My dealer is still to get back to me on the delivery time, have my fingers crossed and if its Feb Or march its bye bye Thar for me!
Old 20th October 2020, 17:13   #147
Senior - BHPian

I don't know why we're taking that 57% first timers number and savouring it like this. The order form, IIRC, asked about the current vehicles I own - and I left it blank. That doesn't mean I don't own any, I just don't want to disclose it out.

I'm sure a major chunk of that 57% will be like me. Relax guys, we shouldn't forget that pinch of salt whenever we see any "official" stat
ph03n!x is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 20th October 2020, 18:02   #148
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by yrwagh View Post
We will see the used car market flooded with new Thars in the later half of 2021 with these many bookings. I am sure people have overestimated the practicality this SUV offers. But with no other distant contender pitted against the Thar we could only see this going up !

Why cant tata work on a contender soon which I guess Beharam Sir were working on - a Tata Sumo ?
I wish Behram sir was still around and working his magic on the Sierra!!!1
1.2TSI7DSG is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 20th October 2020, 18:32   #149
BHPian

Checked the delivery schedule for Thar, with 1 dealer in Kanpur, he gave me a maximum time of 2-3 months, again solely on the variants available.
Old 20th October 2020, 21:10   #150
BHPian

Quote:
Certainly a valid point. Another reason perhaps why many Indian automobile manufacturers are caught like rabbits in the headlights in the event of unprecedented demand could be shared assembly lines.

I read somewhere on this thread that the new Thar shares the assembly line with the Scorpio. Quite logical, since the two new models share the same platform. In that case, it's the company that is left holding the baby - an unfulfilled order book.

Yet another reason could be the cautious and conservative approach by manufacturers in order to avoid stockpiling inventories at the dealer end. None of this is exceptionally unusual and has happened many times in the past in the case of popular models, but it cannot be denied that it almost invariably results in a PR disaster for the brand.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks