Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th October 2020, 19:51   #256
BHPian

Re: Accessories for the Thar

Quote:
Originally Posted by ph03n!x View Post
While the wait for delivery is killing (my delivery date is tentatively Dec 3rd), I looked up some accessories that I'd want for the Thar.[list][*]Front & Rear Mud Protector - Rs. 300
==========
So a reversing camera is a must for this car.
On this just want to highlight that M&M has a OE accessory rearview camera also at some Rs.2650 which integrates with the infotainment screen.

Last edited by Jaggu : 30th October 2020 at 12:31. Reason: Please avoid quoting entire large post for short replies. Affects readability. Thanks.
techfreak is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 29th October 2020, 21:23   #257
BHPian

Re: Mahindra Thar : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by CEF_Beasts View Post
DC has released images of the latest gen Thar they have modified and boy oh boy what a disaster. What a mess!
This is the most disgusting thing I've ever seen on TeamBHP. How could they do this monstrosity to the Thar's perfect design.

Vanity vans is what DC should stick to and not produce such eyesores
abhinavsureka is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 29th October 2020, 23:49   #258
BHPian

Quote:
DC has released images of the latest gen Thar they have modified and boy oh boy what a disaster. What a mess!
I seriously can't understand what goes at DC's HQ. Do they purposefully make atrocious designs to stay in the news or they seriously think people would like this?
pranavmichael is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th October 2020, 01:17   #259
BHPian

Do you guys think Mahindra is providing vehicles to different customisation houses like prad4x4 (based out of Bangalore), bimbra 4x4 (based out of Gurgaon) etc to develop aftermarket products for the Thar?

Prad4x4 seem to claim so in one of their posts on Instagram. They already have a red Thar in their workshop. Off-road bumpers with winch mounts and grills are first on the list and also a roof rack solution for the hardtop is on the cards.

Screenshot of the said post - Mahindra Thar : Official Review-screenshot_20201029203520.jpg
Mr.U is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th October 2020, 09:24   #260
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I think they tried to make it look like the Hummer, which was an iconic SUV in the early 2000s due to its prominent use in the Iraq wars. Chrysler put a 5.7 litre Hemi-Magnum V8 petrol (Hemispherical combustion chamber engine construction) in it and sold the t in the US. It was considered as cool as the latest Tesla model is these days. No one cared about the fact that the engine would drink a litre of petrol every 2-3 kms, petrol prices were so abysmally low after the war.
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra Thar : Official Review-220f3d2238954aa8bf655d4e0515424d.jpeg  

84.monsoon is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 30th October 2020, 11:33   #261
BHPian

Found another video explaining about Thar's offroad capabilities.

This one is a Diesel AT + LX Trim

(Request to mods: I hope this video hasn't been shared yet in this thread, if so, please remove this entry.)
Kannan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th October 2020, 12:53   #262
BHPian

(Request to mods: I don't have the option to edit my previous post, so mods please merge this entry with the previous one and delete this line.)

Off-topic
Meanwhile, I came across the Mercedes EQC video where it climbs a steep slope and I was wondering what if Mahindra comes with Thar electric version. The off-road experience should be more exciting with instant torque capabilities of the electric motor!.

(The above video link is time marked at 13:40)
Kannan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th October 2020, 13:02   #263
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kannan View Post
...I was wondering what if Mahindra comes with Thar electric version. The off-road experience should be more exciting....
Sir, please.. Let them first start delivering the all new Thar as committed which is already very exciting.
balenoed_ is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 30th October 2020, 13:52   #264
BHPian

The Dc kit is shockingly priced upwards of 6.45 lacs plus taxes, I mean for just the exterior mods not even any (dare I say) interior modifications, its quite a bold move by DC.
TRANSAM is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th October 2020, 17:38   #265
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pelican90 View Post
I went into the showroom looking for the LX variant, looking for a comfortable car with off-roading capabilities.
I am sure this is the expectation of majority of the early birds who've booked the new Thar. Unfortunately, couldn't be further from the truth.

Quote:
But it turned out to be an off roader with some comfort capabilities thrown in.
However, this is exactly what the Thar is! Ever wonder why all variants of the Thar come with 4WD as standard?

Last edited by cool_dube : 30th October 2020 at 17:45.
cool_dube is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 30th October 2020, 19:42   #266
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

OVERALL – I went into the showroom looking for the LX variant, looking for a comfortable car with off-roading capabilities. But it turned out to be an off roader with some comfort capabilities thrown in. I didn’t see value in making this my primary car, as there are way too many sacrifices that one needs to make for the looks and the off-roading capabilities. If you’re a hardcore off-roader and you want this to take you to office on Monday to Friday, it will just about do the job. But it will fail to delight on weekdays by any stretch of imagination.
The over excited and ill informed youtubers as well as media in general have made an SUV out of a Jeep (Aka - An offroad vehicle that can just about manage to stay upright on the road), your disappointment is understandable.

Just look at the vehicle from a distance - 2 doors, Tall, small cabin, big tyres. Does it resemble a primary vehicle for a normal use? Nope!

The way to include a Jeep in your family as a non-utility vehicle is like this.

If you need only one car in the family, this is the second one.

If you need two cars in the family, this is the third one.
Kosfactor is online now   (11) Thanks
Old 31st October 2020, 15:16   #267
BHPian

I got the chance to experience the 2020 Thar a few days back. I'm lucky to have one of my neighbours (who prefers to remain anonymous) as a prominent auto journalist, and he's sweet enough to let me try out a few of the cars that are brought in for review.

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-img_0446.jpg

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-img_0449.jpg

First off, let us start with the exteriors - This was the first time I was seeing the new Thar in person and let me say, I was absolutely smitten by the looks of this vehicle. It is a very handsome looking car and looks like a proper beast (especially in this shade of black).

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-img_0448.jpg

The Thar is a very wide car - more so with those flared out fenders and bumper extensions. It's got a very stout stance (wide and short) and almost looks like a little tank when viewed from certain angles.

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-img_0447.jpg

Moving to the interiors, it's quite a step up to get into the Thar. The cabin is at a height and you'll definitely need to use the side steps to climb in. I wish there were grab handles provided on the A-pillars (like the Fortuner and Endeavour).

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-img_0451.jpg

Once seated inside, the first thing I noticed is how narrow the front seats seats felt though the lumbar support was quite good. They almost felt like racing seats (maybe I'm exaggerating a little) after having being used to the wide and comfy seats on my Honda city. These seats might not be the best choice for people with a heavier build. However, I could see how they could help save you from being tossed around during off-road driving (as the Thar is a very jumpy car).

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-img_0458.jpg

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-img_0457.jpg

Getting into the rear needs to be done from the passenger side. There is a little pull tab that allows the seat to tumble forward. However, the seat needs to be pushed all the way forward in order to create enough space for a person to fit in through the gap. This is definitely not a place for elders!
Also, I had a strange observation - for someone of my build (5'8" and fairly fit), it's probably just easier to get into rear seats using the massive gap between the front seats (the Thar is a wide car after all and there are no centre armrests )

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-img_0454.jpg

I also checked out the boot and as expected, it was really tiny. Good enough for just a small bag or two and you'll have to definitely fold down the rear seats to carry even medium sized suitcases (an aftermarket roof carrier will be popular accessory for the Thar in my opinion). Though I have to admit, the general build quality of the car has improved vastly and it feels so much better than the Mahindras of yesteryears. Even the doors shut with a nice "Thud" instead of the mechanical "Clunk" heard on older Jeeps and Boleros.

The rear tail-gate felt solid and the glass also had a good heft to it. However, I'm a bit apprehensive about the long term water proofing (leakage) of this hard-top cabin. Let's see if it holds up well in the harsh Indian weather conditions.

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-img_0453.jpg

This particular model was the top of the line Diesel LX - MT (which I feel will be also be the most popular variant) and the engine was everything we've come to expect from modern Mahindra diesels - Fast, punchy, great drivability and decent NVH levels (can't say it was great, but wasn't bad either). With regards to fuel efficiency, I'm guessing the petrol MT/AT Thar will be heavy drinkers - considering the fact that this diesel manual gives around 9-10Kmpl in the city and maybe around 12Kpmpl on the highway (this is if you're a sedate driver).

Most people who buy the Thar will seldom worry about the fuel efficiency. However, what will annoy them is the dynamics of this car. Heavy body roll, nose-dive on breaking, extremely bouncy ride are standard. Though to be completely honest, tarmac is not really the Thar's forte - take it off the road and that is where this car really starts to shine. It'll be very hard to use this as an everyday car (inspite of what Mahindra might try to tell you) and you should definitely spend a good amount of time trying out the car before spending 15-17 big ones on it.

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-img_0455.jpg

All in all, the Thar is a purpose built machine that has become a lot better with it's latest incarnation. Mahindra has taken all the years of feedback and delivered a car that improves upon it's predecessor in every single way possible. Then there is this feeling about driving a car like Thar that you just can't explain in words. This car has the ability to make you feel like the king of the road. It's an attention magnet and people always turn around to give it a second look. I think that's the charm of having a Thar. It can give you sportscar like feel (imagine a red convertible with the top down) along with go-anywhere ability at 1/5th of the price.

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-img_0456.jpg

I must say that I really liked the new Thar, but would I buy it? Not right away. I would wait for a few years and let the initial QC issues pass (that Mahinda and Tata are infamous) and probably pick up a well maintained pre-owned Petrol AT Thar as my weekend/fun ride 2-3 years down the line. The Thar will be that kind of a vehicle for me.

Signing off with some pictures I took with the beast :

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-b0132c1ac5024fe09ff94787272136e3.jpg

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-f88bf8e5a4d54be8a4ead32a2ad6ddea.jpg

Last edited by khan_sultan : 31st October 2020 at 17:45. Reason: as requested
kunalsingh is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 31st October 2020, 15:47   #268
BHPian

Some serious production issue at Mahindra regarding Thar or my dealer playing up. Last week my expected delivery date was 14 Dec 20, today as on 31 October the date has changed to 5 May 21.

Is there such a change of delivery date for anyone else?
I had booked online on 06 October 20 a Red Rage Hard Top Diesel Manual LX version.
techfreak is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st October 2020, 17:12   #269
BHPian

Re: Accessories for the Thar

Quote:
Originally Posted by ph03n!x View Post
While the wait for delivery is killing (my delivery date is tentatively Dec 3rd), I looked up some accessories that I'd want for the Thar.

=================

So, BHPians who have booked the Thar, have you given a thought about the accessories?
This is my priority wise list for now and my delivery date being promised as 3rd December via Mahindra Dealer's mail, I wonder how many of them would actually be available:
1. Reverse camera - 3360
2. Front n Rear Mudflap - 400 + 465
3. Door sill protector -
4. Side Body cladding - 8840
5. Full body cover

Now, the ones I am pondering upon / will get aftermarket:
Bushranger Mud Blocka Mats - Price seems too high, maybe because of the quality. I might wait for aftermarket tray mats.
Seat Cover - After market
I saw Gopro and other stuff being sold as accessories at much higher prices. I also wonder how the roof top tent would serve its purpose on a fiber hard top!

For the rest of the accessories like center armrest, rear seat armrests and cupholders etc. I am sure a lot of wonderful modifications would be coming up and its better to wait for that.

Last edited by khan_sultan : 31st October 2020 at 17:46. Reason: trimmed quoted post
OneLivingLife is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 31st October 2020, 20:40   #270
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by techfreak View Post
On this just want to highlight that M&M has a OE accessory rearview camera also at some Rs.2650 which integrates with the infotainment screen.
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneLivingLife View Post
1. Reverse camera - 3360
I chose the DVR+Rear-view camera over the OE accessory because even the rear-view during normal driving is also hindered by the spare-wheel, and this give the flexibility of having a IRVM that gives me unhindered view.
Quote:
Originally Posted by techfreak View Post
Some serious production issue at Mahindra regarding Thar or my dealer playing up. Last week my expected delivery date was 14 Dec 20, today as on 31 October the date has changed to 5 May 21.

Is there such a change of delivery date for anyone else?
I had booked online on 06 October 20 a Red Rage Hard Top Diesel Manual LX version.
My CPD (Customer Promise Date) is now Dec 31st - it was Dec 3rd earlier. My booking is on 3rd Oct, for LX Convertible Diesel AT in Black.

I have informed my sales advisor that I am not taking a 2020 manufactured car, and don't have an issue postponing it to June/ July next year, or cancelling the booking.

M&M Team - if you are reading this, you have messed this up. Big time.
ph03n!x is offline   (7) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks