Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 23rd November 2020, 11:09   #526
BHPian

Re: Mahindra Thar : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pancham View Post
This has been shared in the previous page. See the video to check what this poor was subjected to. Maybe the owner was checking the radiator strength.

https://Youtu.be/FzFSF7JG90I
Is he driving too aggressive. It felt as if the car will bottom out even if it has double the ground clearance.

Again one does need to be careful as some thing hitting is always there
Old 23rd November 2020, 11:33   #527
Senior - BHPian

Okay, so I finally got a chance to see the new Thar in person at one of the nearby Mahindra showrooms last evening. Was driving back from an errand when I chanced to pass by the showroom and seeing zilch crowd, took the opportunity to check the beast out in person. It was the usual display vehicle - Diesel M/T hard-top in Napoli Black. Since there was absolutely no one else (surprising on a Sunday evening), not even the sales advisor, I got a good 20-25 minutes to check the car out at leisure. Enough and more has been said about almost all aspects of the Thar, not to mention the impeccable official review - so, I will not get into any detailed observations. Few things that stood out for me:
  • Looks smashing! Period! Mahindra has got the proportions spot on. It looked absolutely stunning in black. This will be the color for my Thar, whenever I choose to get one home.
  • View from driver's seat is absolutely amazing to say the least. Almost at par with my Pajero SFX, which has one of the best driver's view amongst all SUVs I've driven till date. The A-pillar is not as thick as I had thought it to be.
  • Paint finish was very good!
  • Quality of interiors was top-notch, given the fact that we are talking about a Mahindra jeep here! Miles ahead of the old Thar as well as my Gypsy. I could easily imagine spending hours with these interiors. The quality of plastic all around was more than acceptable and switches/stalks had a solid feel to them. Steering wheel had a nice grip and was just the right size. Driver's seat was very comfortable.
  • Clutch was super-light for a diesel SUV, should be very easy to use in city traffic

Could not manage to get a test drive as the TD jeep was out for service. Will plan to get one some time.

All in all, one of the best looking vehicles on road today. If Mahindra can ensure a niggle-free experience as well as high standards of service, they have a winner here!

Last edited by cool_dube : 23rd November 2020 at 11:37.
cool_dube is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2020, 14:28   #528
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by discoverwild View Post
https://Youtu.be/FdXJ9j6sCiY

Probably the third Thar to be damaged after the one that went into a lake and the other rolled off the road. Looks like someone drove into a deep ditch while off-roading. The bumper seems to be have been shorn off, and the damage to the AC condensor.

Was shared on Whatsapp. No idea from where.

An attempt like this perhaps?

https://www.instagram.com/p/CDcv-ANhTsO/
I know this car, because it happens to be mine. There was no problem with the car, and it indeed set a really great time, for a first timer.

Bumper was removed prior to the event, to avoid getting hit. At most of the places, the car indeed had easily 1 - 2+ inch of clearance which can be seen from the second video.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pancham View Post
This has been shared in the previous page. See the video to check what this poor thing was subjected to. Maybe the owner was checking the radiator strength.

https://Youtu.be/FzFSF7JG90I
I wouldn't blame the car here. First time, taking to an event, you can expect some hiccups. and M&M and the dealer has been pretty helpful in getting the parts quickly. Should get the car back shortly.

On hindsights, could have been more careful, but nevertheless, the time was in the top 5 for the day (for a new person in the first event, awesome. Good credit to the car and the transmission. I was originally sceptical if the Automatic was a good choice, and it indeed stood up)

Best part, most if not all on the event was on M/T tyres, against this one being totally on stock A/T tyres
scuderiaferrari is offline   (19) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2020, 14:40   #529
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by scuderiaferrari View Post
I know this car, because it happens to be mine. There was no problem with the car, and it indeed set a really great time, for a first timer.

Bumper was removed prior to the event, to avoid getting hit. At most of the places, the car indeed had easily 1 - 2+ inch of clearance which can be seen from the second video.

I wouldn't blame the car here. First time, taking to an event, you can expect some hiccups. and M&M and the dealer has been pretty helpful in getting the parts quickly. Should get the car back shortly.

On hindsights, could have been more careful, but nevertheless, the time was in the top 5 for the day (for a new person in the first event, awesome. Good credit to the car and the transmission. I was originally sceptical if the Automatic was a good choice, and it indeed stood up)

Best part, most if not all on the event was on M/T tyres, against this one being totally on stock A/T tyres
That's really something good directly coming from an owner. I intend getting into dirt n trail with mine when it finally comes. Though I am not new to driving off road partly due to my job profile but will be doing so first time in my own vehicle.

What do you suggest, it's better to get an aftermarket Bumper if one plans to off road often? What other mods do you suggest from your experience?
Old 23rd November 2020, 15:28   #530
BHPian

In light of the recent (heavy) crackdown by the MVD on any customization on all vehicles, by any chance, does anyone have any idea what's the situation if we get the Thar modified by the Mahindra Customization team?

I know it's not really the best option, but still, I was actually considering a watered down version of the erstwhile Bison pack from the Mahindra team, as shown in their brochure and that too, only if the MVD stays happy when we get the vehicle customized from the manufacturers themselves.

The Mahindra customization site is currently down, so not really sure about the availability of similar packs for the new-gen Thar.

Would love to hear everyone's opinions!
Old 23rd November 2020, 16:30   #531
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Like the saying goes, hindsight is always 20/20. Good to know the owner. Wishing you many more years of fun!
Old 23rd November 2020, 16:55   #532
BHPian

Quote:
I know this car, because it happens to be mine.
The loud thud on the 50 sec mark, was that the rear end bottoming?
Old 23rd November 2020, 19:55   #533
Senior - BHPian

2020 Mahindra Thar gets Keyless Fuel Lid opening for just Rs.1000/- by a local mechanic

Link to the news (https://gaadiwaadi.com/2020-mahindra...rom%20%251%24s)

Quote:
Here, we have an aftermarket keyless fuel-lid opener for the Thar, which was installed by a local mechanic using Maruti spare parts. These pictures were shared by Prem Lal, and show the entire mechanism in great detail.

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-mahindratharaftermarketkeylessfuellidopener740x493.jpg

This aftermarket mechanism consists of a fuel-lid opener cable, and a fuel-lid opening lever. The installation was done by a local workshop, and the total expense for the same was Rs. 1,000. This is quite an affordable solution, which improves the convenience factor of the SUV.
AdityaDeane is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2020, 20:09   #534
udy
BHPian

Just saw this tires upgrade video on YouTube. What imoressed me more than the tires was the seven slatted grill and how much it improve the way the new Thar looks. Going by the comments on the video, this surely is going to be the most sought after accessory on the new Thar.

udy is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2020, 20:13   #535
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by techfreak View Post
That's really something good directly coming from an owner. I intend getting into dirt n trail with mine when it finally comes. Though I am not new to driving off road partly due to my job profile but will be doing so first time in my own vehicle.

What do you suggest, it's better to get an aftermarket Bumper if one plans to off road often? What other mods do you suggest from your experience?
The car without any modifications should be good enough for trails. Take it slow and steady and should be good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by discoverwild View Post
Like the saying goes, hindsight is always 20/20. Good to know the owner. Wishing you many more years of fun!
Thank you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slipstream11 View Post
The loud thud on the 50 sec mark, was that the rear end bottoming?
That was the rear dummy fog lamps hitting on departure. On hindsight, i should have gotten these removed.

As it goes, everything comes with a learning. and a good one is the spare part prices are very much manageable.
scuderiaferrari is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 24th November 2020, 09:05   #536
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SportsMedicine View Post
I feel the radiator part is vulnerable to rocks and mud.
Attachment 2083633
This is something I've mentioned a couple of times before. If one starts treating this new age SUV like a jeep, expenses will pile up. Just because the company made jeeps before and the grille in this vehicle looks inspired from Jeep, does not make it a jeep.

The platform is just too loaded to be bashed around like the rugged vehicles that came before it. It will of course bomb right through but it could also make one pay dearly for it. This wasn't the case with jeeps. Go easy on it.
SandyX is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 24th November 2020, 16:26   #537
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vkochar View Post
So just got my Thar delivered to me. .
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneLivingLife View Post
Finally, I got to see my Thar in flesh at NR Autos, Kolkata
It arrived on 16th November and bears a serial no of 1752

Can you please shed some light on the final invoicing and the components of the pricing? The pricing sheet that was shared by my dealer has the following components which I would request your inputs on:

1. Rs. 4720 as incidental charges
2. Rs. 12950 as Extended Warranty for 1 year
3. Rs. 2030 as RSA

Did 1. apply to you as well?
Did you opt for 2 and 3? If yes, what do they include?

Also:

1. Did you take the insurance from your respective dealers or from outside. If from outside what was the difference?

2. Did you opt for any kind of coating (underbody/ceramic/teflon etc.)?

Thanks.
Old 24th November 2020, 18:51   #538
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slipstream11 View Post
Can you please shed some light on the final invoicing and the components of the pricing? The pricing sheet that was shared by my dealer has the following components which I would request your inputs on:

1. Rs. 4720 as incidental charges
2. Rs. 12950 as Extended Warranty for 1 year
3. Rs. 2030 as RSA

Did 1. apply to you as well?
Did you opt for 2 and 3? If yes, what do they include?

Also:

1. Did you take the insurance from your respective dealers or from outside. If from outside what was the difference?

2. Did you opt for any kind of coating (underbody/ceramic/teflon etc.)?

Thanks.
Yes 1,2,& 3 all applied and I checked it is all valid. I have no idea what they include. The dealers are family friends. Let's say I have not even bothered to check. Insurance was from Dealer and discounted. IFFCO was the insurer. With a new vehicle like this try taking the full pack as in case of any problem at all you just need to call the showroom and they do literally everything.

No I have not opted for anything. I think this will happen when the car goes for the 1st Service on 1000 Km's.

It cost me just about 16 Lacs OTR ( No accessories included )
vkochar is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th November 2020, 22:04   #539

2020 Mahindra Thar gets its first set of accessories from Bimbra

Link to the article
https://indianauto.com/stories/new-m...bimbra-nid8045

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-mahindratharmodifiedbimbra8a0b.jpeg
ZaZeR24 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 25th November 2020, 13:40   #540
Senior - BHPian

Timeless Mahindra Drive held in Mumbai on Sunday with the Mahindra Classics to meet and listen to Adil Jal Darukhanawala, author of the book Timeless Mahindra.

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-20201125_133457.jpg

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-20201125_133500.jpg

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-20201125_133503.jpg

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-20201125_133449.jpg

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-20201125_133447.jpg

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-20201125_133444.jpg

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-20201125_133442.jpg

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-20201125_133431.jpg

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-20201125_133428.jpg

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-20201125_133426.jpg

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-20201125_133507.jpg

https://twitter.com/Mahindra_Thar/st...272460290?s=19