Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 19th February 2021, 00:43   #1231
BHPian

Re: Mahindra Thar : Official Review

Today i drove my friend's new Thar diesel automatic hard top. I loved the car and did not expect it to impress me this much. The throttle response was too good and the car felt sprightly. The 4 cylinder engine is smooth even at 4000 rpms. I could not believe that a Mahindra 4 cylinder diesel could be so smooth. The hydraulic steering was light although i would have appreciated a little more heft to it but it is still ok, considerably more fun than an EPS. I also liked the ride quality and the Thar tackles bad roads very well. I found the ride quality to be better than my 2018 Fortuner. The gearbox was also butter smooth. One thing i noticed was that although both Fortuner and Thar use an Aisin torque converter but in the latter, the gearbox does not drop revs to 800 rpm when lifting off the throttle and provides good engine braking.

Last edited by asm3899_CHD : 19th February 2021 at 00:48.
asm3899_CHD is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 19th February 2021, 09:47   #1232
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by justwheels View Post
The call has come. Yes it has, finally.

Dealer called that my car allotment should be done by first week of March. So hopefully another month to own the beast. This will be LX HT AT Diesel Red Rage.
If I may ask, which dealer at Bangalore?
Old 19th February 2021, 17:24   #1233
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkrishnakj View Post
If I may ask, which dealer at Bangalore?
It is Sireesh Auto, silk board, Bangalore

I had my CPD of 8th April and since Jan i did not even inquire once, kind of had left it to fate.

3 days back, the SA called and said the allotment is about to happen soon.
justwheels is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th February 2021, 17:46   #1234
Senior - BHPian

Thank you JW.

If you hear anything more, please do keep us posted. The call I got from my dealer Ananth motors was two days back, and its back to the previous normal. No details yet on dispatches or engine/VIN number etc..nothing yet.

By the way, the RSM who manages Sireesh Auto is a lot more responsive than the one for Ananth.
Old 19th February 2021, 18:22   #1235
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkrishnakj View Post
Thank you JW.

If you hear anything more, please do keep us posted. The call I got from my dealer Ananth motors was two days back, and its back to the previous normal. No details yet on dispatches or engine/VIN number etc..nothing yet.

By the way, the RSM who manages Sireesh Auto is a lot more responsive than the one for Ananth.
Sure, will keep you updated. I just had a chat with Balachandra, who leads the sales team. He said he is expecting the allotment to happen next week and he will give me the VIN once he has it. He confirmed no more dispatches without infotainment. But yes, he did agree dispatches are very limited and hardly any Thars are getting delivered.

His finance guys are already in touch with me to work on the finance options. And also, his people will come over next week for my Ecosports evaluation.

That's all of my updates.
Old 19th February 2021, 20:20   #1236
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lurker View Post
How is the front seat comfort on long drives
It is pretty damn comfortable. Having drove from Kolkata to Gangtok in a day, I can't complain. Even my friend (tall and well-built, 125 kgs) has been in my car multiple times for long drives and he hasn't complained much, except the under thigh support, which he feels should have been better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fine69 View Post
After a lot of drama he ended up buying the rear camera (around 4k I think) and the deal was done.
That rear camera has a few software niggles. Also, in the long run, due to the position of the spare wheel mount and the passenger backrests, the IRVM visibility is too poor. One would want to get a live rearview camera like 70mai / Akaso / DDPai Mola E3.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.U View Post
To the members who have got their Thars, did the dealer force you too get the extended warranty and MGP kit worth ₹25k?
The same happened to me when I went to book in Kolkata. On 2nd Oct, at 2 of their dealerships they said, 25k worth accessories are a must. One of them even quoted 5k extra, if I wanted to change the color! Later, at NR Autos, they did not mention anything as such.

Last edited by OneLivingLife : 19th February 2021 at 20:20. Reason: typo
Old 19th February 2021, 23:57   #1237
BHPian

So while I prepare for the Thar delivery in a month, I am now looking to finalize the accesories.

I have shortlisted the following:

1. Under body armour from Prad - not sure to go with mild steel or aluminum? Please advise.

2. Live rear view cam - while a reversing cam is ok, I am looking for an always on live rear view cam which can replace the irvm functionality. Any idea of best options and if anyone has fitted one. I plan to build multilevel boot organizer and hence a live view rear cam will become a must.

3. Interiors - need to get the wheel wells utilised better. Have seen few builds by bimbra and others which have foldable arm rests and cup holders built in with 12v charging socket. I will surely explore the options as it will increase the utility.

4. 5 or 7 slat grill. If I own a Jeep, I better own it looking like a jeep. Any recommendations here?

Please do advise on the above and if anything else will be useful. Will space these out if needed based on quotes.
Old 20th February 2021, 04:12   #1238
BHPian

Quote:
So while I prepare for the Thar delivery in a month, I am now looking to finalize the accesories.

I have shortlisted the following:

1. Under body armour from Prad - not sure to go with mild steel or aluminum? Please advise.

2. Live rear view cam - while a reversing cam is ok, I am looking for an always on live rear view cam which can replace the irvm functionality. Any idea of best options and if anyone has fitted one. I plan to build multilevel boot organizer and hence a live view rear cam will become a must.

3. Interiors - need to get the wheel wells utilised better. Have seen few builds by bimbra and others which have foldable arm rests and cup holders built in with 12v charging socket. I will surely explore the options as it will increase the utility.

4. 5 or 7 slat grill. If I own a Jeep, I better own it looking like a jeep. Any recommendations here?

Please do advise on the above and if anything else will be useful. Will space these out if needed based on quotes.
Congratulations justwheels. Lucky you..!!

1. I will suggest going for aluminum (full underbody or under-radiator - either way)

2. 70mai seems to be the best one around. However, availability maybe an issue. I have been tracking it on Amazon for quite a while now.

On the multilevel boot organizer - Is it a plywood box/chest with drawers that you have in mind? Do share your idea, even a rough sketch would be helpful.

4. I will personally go for the bimbra made 7-slat (sans the angry bird look) grill. I am pretty certain prad has a neat one themselves.

From the OEM, the mud flaps, door sill protector, magnetic sun shades, bug deflector and seat covers. Floor mats - DIY noddle mats
Slipstream11 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th February 2021, 19:59   #1239
BANNED

Did the jump break the glass? What happened here?

Sankar is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st February 2021, 09:59   #1240
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneLivingLife View Post
That rear camera has a few software niggles. Also, in the long run, due to the position of the spare wheel mount and the passenger backrests, the IRVM visibility is too poor. One would want to get a live rearview camera like 70mai / Akaso / DDPai Mola E3.

Quick question on the live rear view cam. Do you use it as a live rear view or only as a reversing view cam. If the former, does it create any issues in the night when looking at the screen like a mobile, causing irritation to eyes, especially when doing long distances. Also does it help reducing night glare from behind? I am keen to get one as a live rear view replacing the IRVM completely, hence asking.

Bangalore folks:

Has anyone in Bangalore done any mods on the Thar yet, especially from Prad4x4. Prad shared their catalogue yesterday and the spread is very limited as compared to bimbra from North. Understand they might not be in the same league but I was expecting few things.

They don't have an inhouse 7slat grill replacement also and when asked they said they can get from other dealers. I like their maching and finishing so an inhouse built one would be much better.
Also, I guess they dont do interior mods, as it's not in their catalogue.

I was looking to get the wild boar grab handles, as shown in bimbra mods for easy ingress/egress. One question on that, since the grab handles are screwed into the body needing 2 holes on the A pillar, does it effect warranty?

Anyone done any mods in Bangalore, any references, links please.
Old 21st February 2021, 10:33   #1241
Senior - BHPian

I haven’t thought through yet just wheels. But what I certainly will take from dealer on day of delivery will be:
a) floor mats - the cheapest one they have
b) mud flaps

What I would buy from outside in order of priority will be:
a) A good quality floor mat
b) A rear view Camera that I want mainly for reversing purpose

What I’m looking for and can’t find anywhere at Bangalore is the one that Bimbra showcased for the seats - Front Arm rests , Rear seat arm rests and cup holders. I found those super useful, but not sure where we can install those.
Old 21st February 2021, 10:52   #1242
Senior - BHPian

Talk to Taran Bimbra, I'm sure he will have some tie ups with local workshops in South India. That way you'll have a install as per bimbra ensuring peace of mind and also support from Bimbra in case anything goes wrong.
navpreet318 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st February 2021, 11:20   #1243
BHPian

Folks, Iam thinking of booking Thar tomorrow. Just one question - Is it worth for the money we spend on it (17 lakhs) ?

I guess there is no other 4*4 available in that price range out there in the market presently.

Last edited by GTO : 22nd February 2021 at 06:44. Reason: Removing the unwanted bits.
highwaypatrol is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st February 2021, 14:48   #1244
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by highwaypatrol View Post
Folks, Iam thinking of booking Thar tomorrow. Just one question - Is it worth for the money we spend on it (17 big lakhs) ?

I guess there is no other 4*4 available in that price range out there in the market presently.
To be honest, unless you are a hardcore offroader or have other cars to fulfill the material pleasures of people movers, rationality will always say DO NOT BUY THAR.
But then if rationality was the only thing driving such interests, world would be an assembly line.

What worked for me are the below things:
1. For me it was now or never, and I chose now
2. Are any of the limitations of owning a Jeep, like 2 doors, ingress to back seats, low luggage capacity, high stance ingress for older people, a deal breaker or do you have a way around. I found workarounds for few that bothered me.
3. Inspite of all issues, will it put a smile on my face, if yes, is that smile more imp than postponing the dream forever
4. What do you want the Thar to be for you?

Hope that helps.
justwheels is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st February 2021, 15:26   #1245
BHPian

Quote:
To be honest, unless you are a hardcore offroader or have other cars to fulfill the material pleasures of people movers, rationality will always say DO NOT BUY THAR.
But then if rationality was the only thing driving such interests, world would be an assembly line.

What worked for me are the below things:
1. For me it was now or never, and I chose now
2. Are any of the limitations of owning a Jeep, like 2 doors, ingress to back seats, low luggage capacity, high stance ingress for older people, a deal breaker or do you have a way around. I found workarounds for few that bothered me.
3. Inspite of all issues, will it put a smile on my face, if yes, is that smile more imp than postponing the dream forever
4. What do you want the Thar to be for you?

Hope that helps.
Very true. Its a 'now or never' kind of situation for me too. I know, I am not getting what I spend for. But still its a great passion which I can fulfill without compromising much on comforts and other features.

Points which worked out for me are as listed below.

1. Great looks. I don't think any other vehicle in this price range can give you that kind of masculine looks on Indian roads at the moment.
2. A proper 4x4 Machine with history of manufacturing reliable SUVs barring all typical Indian company's niggles.
3. As a previous owner of Bolero, I know it won't put a big hole on my pocket as far as Mahindra after sales service goes for at least next 5 years.
3. Winning heart over mind. At times, I believe we all need to follow what the heart says, irrespective of all the shortcomings which pops up in our head.
4. This is an evergreen vehicle. Its charm remains the same at least for many years ahead. It never grows old with times.
5. Unavailability of any proper 4x4 vehicle in this price category at the moment in Indian market.
6. A small family of 2 who loves to go out for long trips too often.

Being said that, I took the plunge and booked mine today online through M&M portal with PPS Church street branch Bangalore. Paid 21K advance through online and will wait for further updates from dealer.

Model booked - LX AT Diesel Hard Top in Napoli Black.

The long wait has begun !

Cheers!

Last edited by highwaypatrol : 21st February 2021 at 15:28.
highwaypatrol is offline   (5) Thanks

Most Viewed