Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th July 2021, 23:38   #1846
BHPian

Re: Mahindra Thar : Official Review

I have booked my Thar on Feb 22, and as per the latest report I shall get my hands on the vehicle by Dec 15th. However its a bit hard to comprehend the weird delivery timelines, it is what it is and can't do much about it as well. Hence I have decided to purchase some accessories which I believe of major use by the time I get my car.

Auto dimming rear view mirror - I have brought one from Aliexpress way back in 2018 for my Abarth and I felt it as a worthy investment. Hence I decided to find my ways to source it through alternate ways (no more Aliexpress in India) and started interacting with a vendor on Alibaba site. Luckily at Rs. 4800, one vendor agreed and got it in sharp 10 days. Anyone who wants to buy this should order the bracket as shown in the picture below.

Seat mounted arm rests - I believe the best (read OEM looking) armrest for the Thar is the one which can be mounted from the seats. This will help us not to mess with center consoles, no drilling on the floor or plastic parts and gives a clean and elegant look to the interior. Hence I was in look out for one and stumbled on to this particular model. After some negotiation in Alibaba, I got a deal for 1 pair at Rs. 3900/- and it is on its way. Mounting accessories are included, however I got no clue if this can be mounted on to the Thar seat frame. I took the plunge and ordered the part as it will take minimum 1 month to reach me. I have seen all these youtubers installing armrests and other stuff, honestly none can give the OE looks as these models can provide. Any Thar owners can check and confirm if these can be mounted, it will be of great help to many in waiting list like me. Few pictures are also attached and are taken from Alibaba site for better understanding.

(Mods - I wish to put mirror pictures under second para and armrest pictures in the last. But I have no idea how to do it. Please help.)

Highwaypatrol
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra Thar : Official Review-mirror-1-.jpg  

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-mirror-2-.jpg  

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-handrest-1.jpg  

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-handrest-3.jpg  

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-handrest-2.jpg  

Last edited by highwaypatrol : 7th July 2021 at 23:58.
highwaypatrol is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th July 2021, 06:36   #1847
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelvinator View Post

If we were to follow this model linearly, someone who is booking their vehicles now will theoretically have waiting time of 18-19 months(40k backlogs). Now a case can be made that production has been decreased due to the second wave of Covid (in the month of May and June) and in case there is no third wave production will probably increase..
I do not believe the drop in June is due to Covid. Industries have been functioning since early June without major interruptions. I think the real reason is the global semiconductor shortage which is hitting the industry hard now. JLR had warned of a 50% fall in production in the current quarter due to this. Customers who had cut back orders sharply in 2020 due to Covid and now trying to ramp back up are being prioritised lower by suppliers as compared to those who kept a healthy order books going. This is causing those companies like M&M who were too Lean and aggressive with their inventory management policies to suffer the most, as they have lost some prioritisation leverage with chip and electronics suppliers.

Last edited by 84.monsoon : 8th July 2021 at 06:38.
Old 8th July 2021, 14:03   #1848
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iabhishekkumar View Post
I recently booked a new Thar (Petrol, Automatic, Hard Top) and got informed today by the dealer that the ex showroom prices have increased for Thar and it is quite a big increase ~ 85-90K. Is this news confirmed?
Seems to be accurate, rate hike w.e.f July 6th.

" Mahindra Thar variants costlier Thar variants are now costlier in the range of 32k to 92k. Thar is currently the most in demand Mahindra. Waiting period has crossed 12 months in select cases. Despite of that, new bookings continue to come in at record pace. Mahindra is trying to increase production, but due to supply constraints, is stuck at the current pace of production. Mahindra XUV300 price revision is in the range of 1-2 percent. This makes the vehicle costlier by Rs 3,606 to Rs 24,029. XUV500 is costlier by upto Rs 3,068. Mahindra Bolero Max truck and its pick up camper too is costlier by 1-2 percent."

Copyright (C) 'RUSH LANE' Read more at... https://www.rushlane.com/mahindra-pr...-12406188.html .
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra Thar : Official Review-mahindrapricehikejuly2021417x450.jpg  

Cavityavenger is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th July 2021, 16:12   #1849
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by highwaypatrol View Post

Seat mounted arm rests - I believe the best (read OEM looking) armrest for the Thar is the one which can be mounted from the seats. This will help us not to mess with center consoles, no drilling on the floor or plastic parts and gives a clean and elegant look to the interior. Hence I was in look out for one and stumbled on to this particular model. After some negotiation in Alibaba, I got a deal for 1 pair at Rs. 3900/- and it is on its way. Mounting accessories are included, however I got no clue if this can be mounted on to the Thar seat frame.

Highwaypatrol
Couldn't agree more, I have been on the lookout for similar armrests. The only challenge I foresee in installation is the lumbar adjuster, which incidentally is placed exactly where the mounting for armrests should be. One can try replacing the adjuster knob with the armrest pivot that way when you move the armrest down, lumbar gets adjusted to the position of your liking.. far fetched

Can you share details of the supplier?
Old 8th July 2021, 16:35   #1850
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavityavenger View Post
Thar variants are now costlier in the range of 32k to 92k
This is ridiculous! The hike translates to more than a lac rupees on road at the higher end (diesel AT HT, I believe). Now Mahindra is getting greedy for sure. What about folks who have already booked and waiting for delivery? Will they get price protection or will prices at the time of delivery prevail? I'd be driven up the wall if I were waiting for my Thar for a good part of the year and end up paying a lac more than what I originally budgeted for
Old 8th July 2021, 18:08   #1851
Senior - BHPian

Re price hike,

I think the message here is that Mahindra have reached their production limit with regard to Thar and they are in for a major embarassment in future in fulfilling bookings which they want to avoid by transferring thar booking to xuv 700 and so on as well as dissuading potential new booking for Thar which further increase potential for Mahindra's embarassment in future. This much is proven by nominal price hike of xuv which have almost same engine gearbox combo as Thar.
Old 8th July 2021, 18:34   #1852
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lurker View Post
Re price hike.
What is the need for all this? Just stop taking bookings altogether. A much more dignified way for M&M, also giving the owners a sense of exclusivity.
Pancham is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th July 2021, 20:08   #1853
BHPian

Will this price hike affects the already booked customers as well? I feel M&M should apply this price hike for new bookings from now on and already booked customers should get the same price as per their committed prices. That is a bare minimum decency to be shown by M&M. They have already goofed up the deliveries time lines and this price hike will add to all the existing woes.

Unorganised approach to almost everything they do is the major reason why Indian brands are struggling globally !
Old 8th July 2021, 20:46   #1854

I came across a pdf on one of the thar ownership groups on a social media platform, which talks about the SOP which Mahindra dealers have to keep in check while the delivering vehicles, it talks about the pricing structure as well. Although I’m not sure about the genuineness of this I’m still attaching it along for everyone’s reference.
Old 8th July 2021, 21:22   #1855
BHPian

Spoke to Mahindra dealer @chandigarh and was informed:

Price hike of Manual transmission (irrespective of petrol/diesel/HT/CT) - Rs 32000

Price hike of Automatic transmission (irrespective of petrol/diesel/HT/CT) - Rs. 92000

Will have to wait for a formal announcement by Mahindra in the next few days, but this is what the dealer here is telling us.

In addition, there is no clarity yet on whether the pricing at the time of booking will be honored or not. So let's wait and see as this unfolds.
Cavityavenger is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th July 2021, 21:41   #1856
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
In addition, there is no clarity yet on whether the pricing at the time of booking will be honored or not. So let's wait and see as this unfolds.
Well Mahindra was quite clear about this. There was a cut off date (January 8?) before which if you book you will be subject to price protection.

So they could have been referring to this price hike.

Let’s see if Mahindra comes up with something similar again. Although I feel they would have announced the price protection cut off date by now if they had to.

Last edited by Pancham : 8th July 2021 at 21:49.
Old 8th July 2021, 22:08   #1857
BHPian

Quote:

Price hike of Manual transmission (irrespective of petrol/diesel/HT/CT) - Rs 32000

Price hike of Automatic transmission (irrespective of petrol/diesel/HT/CT) - Rs. 92000
Oh Man! This is quite steep. It'd translate to more than a Lakh in on-road price. Usually this amount of increase is in 3-4 years with increments annually. This one is a bit much at this point. A really bad way to downscale the bookings.

Mahindra, if you're reading this atleast provide price protection to existing customers who took the plunge to wait for 10 months.
batish is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th July 2021, 03:02   #1858
BHPian

This steep price hike may also be a part of creating space for the rumoured 2wd thar with the 1.5L engine.
Mr.U is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th July 2021, 06:44   #1859
NIP
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.U View Post
This steep price hike may also be a part of creating space for the rumoured 2wd thar with the 1.5L engine.
What rumour ?! 2wd Thar ?! Sounds ridiculous, why would they dilute their brand so badly, especially when there's a one year waiting period ??!! Besides, where's the assembly line for this '2wd Thar' !?? I don't think Mahindra will ever consider this !! They have enough on their plates already...
NIP is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th July 2021, 11:55   #1860
Senior - BHPian

The wait continues. Its been 8 months of waiting and yesterday I got a chance to test drive the Petrol AT for the first time. I was mighty impressed. Beautiful engine with amazing levels of refinement. Here is a picture of the dirty demo car which looked amazing in red.

Just look at the height difference vis-a-vis the XUV 5OO parked beside.

P.S: I love dirty cars.
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra Thar : Official Review-whatsapp-image-20210708-6.35.15-pm.jpeg  

Last edited by Pancham : 9th July 2021 at 11:56.
Pancham is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks