Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th September 2021, 17:39   #2161

Re: Mahindra Thar : Official Review

Hi all,
So the day has finally arrived. I am going to get my Thar tomorrow . Have been waiting since 7 months for this day. I booked a Rocky Beige Petrol HT Auto LX earlier this year on 30th Jan(38-40 weeks waiting period) with a CPD of 22nd October initially which was later pushed to 11th November.
After waiting for nearly 7 months I tweeted to the Mahindra team about my Thar delivery being continuously pushed forward and they promised me that they would resolve my issue on priority basis. 2 days after the tweet i get a call from my SA saying that a similar configuration Thar was available in black color and asked me if i wanted it. I went to the showroom, saw the vehicle and finalized the deal. Eagerly waiting to get my hands on the vehicle now. I brought the Extended Warranty and the dealer was able to reduce the insurance quotation as well to match with what i was getting online. Getting floor mats and rear camera as an accessory at the moment. Planning on getting BFG KO2 upgrade later this month. Will post photos once i get the vehicle.
Kelvinator is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th September 2021, 19:53   #2162
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by highwaypatrol View Post
Bangalore folks who got any info on the same can enlighten us here.
I've been following up actively with my sales person. the SM (sales manager) at the dealership has not shared the number and I'll have to ask sales person if I want to talk to SM or I have to visit the dealership in person.
in the last couple of months, my CPD is pushed further by almost 45+ days it seems but they have not mentioned what challenge they are facing at this point in time. I'll keep this thread posted on the status and if they mention what challenge they are going through.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelvinator View Post
Hi all,
So the day has finally arrived. I am going to get my Thar tomorrow . Have been waiting since 7 months for this day. I booked a Rocky Beige Petrol HT Auto LX earlier this year on 30th Jan(38-40 weeks waiting period) with a CPD of 22nd October initially which was later pushed to 11th November.
2 days after the tweet i get a call from my SA saying that a similar configuration Thar was available in black color and asked me if i wanted it.
Congratulations! Wish you many happy miles with the new companion.
Could you please share whom have you been contacting over twitter? I have been contacting MahindraCustomerCare, initially they committed that they'd follow up with ASM and I can expect to receive a call, it's been more than a couple months but none from M&M or dealer contacted me yet. I've almost lost the hope and in impression that they don't care about their credibility here and they highly rely on dealer network that is in unethical processes certain times.
The black color that you've got, is it on the same booking that you made back in January this year or is it a new booking? if its a new booking, I guess you may not be protected by the price hike introduced a few months back, share your experience on that if you have found out details worth sharing on that.
Old 8th September 2021, 20:11   #2163
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourer View Post
Thank you sir. This will be very helpful. I am anyways visiting the service centre next week for an ac vent replacement and usb port replacement. In case the observation is different for you, I will ask them to find a solution for me.
No movement. Slotted the Thar in Neutral N on the ramp. Pulled the hand brake. Does not move. All clear. Please have your hand brake checked.
navpreet318 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th September 2021, 20:57   #2164
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navpreet318 View Post
No movement. Slotted the Thar in Neutral N on the ramp. Pulled the hand brake. Does not move. All clear. Please have your hand brake checked.
Thanks, so I assume, you used the brakes while moving from D to N and then released it only after engaging the handbrake. Correct me if that understanding of mine is wrong? Do we even have any role of HHC during these steps!!
Old 8th September 2021, 21:49   #2165
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketan View Post
Thanks, so I assume, you used the brakes while moving from D to N and then released it only after engaging the handbrake. Correct me if that understanding of mine is wrong? Do we even have any role of HHC during these steps!!
For this testing yes. Ofcourse. But see I live in the valley of dehradun. I use HHC daily about 3 to 4 times when I'm heading up a slope and someone wants to block my way.
Or when I'm making a 5 point turn on a steep concrete incline which has been blocked by some tourist who thought it was a piece of cake.
HHC during these 3 point and 5 point turns on steep inclined roads is a boon.
Just today the HHC got active when I had to reverse my jeep into the parking of a Cafe which was up a good incline. And I had to do 3 forward and backward movements for getting into the parking.

What exactly are you wanting to know from the post? Whether HHC is useful? Well in my case it's very useful. Try doing the steep incline 5 point turn in a Safari storme where the clutch, accelerator and brake have to be used together. I bet not even 20% of the motorists here can do heel toe scenario of going up inclines. And then also risk burning the clutch.

The HHC combined with the AT is such a boon. I can now relax and enjoy the drive and not fret if someone comes from the opposite side on the steep road opposite Jaypee Residency Manor which we take.

If anyone is ever around Mussoorie, do take the Steep road opposite the main gate of Jaypee. It is an experience I tell you!!
navpreet318 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 9th September 2021, 09:12   #2166
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bibendum90949 View Post
I was just trying to book the Thar via their website and upon selecting the state and district it returned with the following message.

Is there an option to select the dealer when we book it online? Kochi(Ernakulam as in their drop down list) is the city I was looking for. The city list is not even alphabetically sorted. Kochi is not found either.
Yes, you need to select a particular dealer when booking online. This will be the dealer who will engage with you for all future dealings with regards to your booking and delivery formalities. Do remember to follow-up with your selected dealer on the booking - apparently a booking made online is punched in the M&M system by the dealer - only then does the booking reflect in the M&M Order Book.

Quote:
Originally Posted by navpreet318 View Post
For this testing yes. Ofcourse. But see I live in the valley of dehradun. I use HHC daily about 3 to 4 times when I'm heading up a slope and someone wants to block my way.
Or when I'm making a 5 point turn on a steep concrete incline which has been blocked by some tourist who thought it was a piece of cake.
HHC during these 3 point and 5 point turns on steep inclined roads is a boon.
Just today the HHC got active when I had to reverse my jeep into the parking of a Cafe which was up a good incline. And I had to do 3 forward and backward movements for getting into the parking.

What exactly are you wanting to know from the post? Whether HHC is useful? Well in my case it's very useful. Try doing the steep incline 5 point turn in a Safari storme where the clutch, accelerator and brake have to be used together. I bet not even 20% of the motorists here can do heel toe scenario of going up inclines. And then also risk burning the clutch.

The HHC combined with the AT is such a boon. I can now relax and enjoy the drive and not fret if someone comes from the opposite side on the steep road opposite Jaypee Residency Manor which we take.

If anyone is ever around Mussoorie, do take the Steep road opposite the main gate of Jaypee. It is an experience I tell you!!
Imagine a situation where one has to reverse up a slope. Will HHC/HDC kick-in? A crude visualization to explain the sticky predicament!
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra Thar : Official Review-pic.jpg  

Last edited by Slipstream11 : 9th September 2021 at 09:17.
Slipstream11 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th September 2021, 11:07   #2167
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slipstream11 View Post

Imagine a situation where one has to reverse up a slope. Will HHC/HDC kick-in? A crude visualization to explain the sticky predicament!

Yes it does. Do it nearly everyday.
HDC is a different thing. It is not automatic. It has to be actuated. In any and every car.
navpreet318 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th September 2021, 07:09   #2168
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sid_deb View Post
Are fellow Thar owners using any lock/chain for the spare tyre? With the tyre thefts increasing in NCR, wondering if it makes sense to go ahead with this
Hi Sid,

Please check out Farad India and they do have locking nuts for Thar at a great price. A couple of pictures of my enquiry for Thar are attached. I'm using them on the wheels of my Fortuner 2021 model as I have BFG KO2s on them, and as you know the price of BFGs is appreciating much better than the share market now
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra Thar : Official Review-videocapture_20210911070709.jpg  

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-videocapture_20210911070649.jpg  

getsurya is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th September 2021, 17:38   #2169
BHPian

Has anyone here installed a winch? I have been trying to get a synthetic rope one preferably Warn or Superwinch. But most of the dealers does not have stock.
Please PM me if any pointers.
Old 12th September 2021, 21:00   #2170
BHPian

Hello Thar enthusiasts and owners, I have booked a Mahindra Thar Diesel HT AT, but I considered it cause I decided to sell off my other car (Ecosport AT). But with Ford's exit announcement, I have left all hopes of being able to sell the Ecosport AT.

So now, I am considering a Thar Manual for its lower price, although I need your suggestions on this. Will it be a sensible decision to make or I stick to a Thar AT Diesel or Petrol albeit with some delays to arrange the funds? Cause Ecosport AT will be the other car for city commutes and Thar as the weekend fun car, Although will eventually let go off the Ecosport AT whenever it is possible.

Fuel choice is not a big concern for me (Can't predict the Monthly running cause of the pandemic situation) but I do need a reliable engine and gearbox combo.

I am also worried about the Diesel DPF issues on new BS6 cars, and the Petrol SUVs have low resale.
Lots of confusion.
Awaiting your suggestions.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by dr_TJ : 12th September 2021 at 21:08.
Old 12th September 2021, 21:34   #2171
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr_TJ View Post
So now, I am considering a Thar Manual for its lower price, although I need your suggestions on this. Will it be a sensible decision to make or I stick to a Thar AT Diesel or Petrol albeit with some delays to arrange the funds? Cause Ecosport AT will be the other car for city commutes and Thar as the weekend fun car, Although will eventually let go off the Ecosport AT whenever it is possible
Stick to your booking for now, don’t make any hasty decision. There must be lots of time for the Thar delivery (meaning payment time) relax and let things unfold. Even if your booking comes up and you are not prepared to commit the funds, let go of the vehicle for a later date. Meanwhile keep looking to sell the Ecosport.

Since you are eventually going to let go of the Ecosport which is an automatic, you will never be happy with the manual Thar.

All the best, hope things get sorted to your satisfaction.

Cheers
Cyborg is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th September 2021, 21:42   #2172

Hi all,
There seems to be some issue in my thar when it comes to engaging 4H gear. When the car is not moving and i try to engage 4H from 2H everything works flawlessly but when it is moving and i try to do the same thing there is a very loud sound which comes out of the car sometimes and I could also smell something burning near the radiator when that sound comes but no smoke whatsoever. Has anyone else experienced this? My car is just 2 days old and it’s crazy to think a new car having such an issue. Planning on taking it back to the showroom tomorrow to get it inspected. Anything specific that I should get tested with regards to this?
Old 12th September 2021, 21:48   #2173
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyborg View Post
Stick to your booking for now, don’t make any hasty decision. There must be lots of time for the Thar delivery (meaning payment time) relax and let things unfold. Even if your booking comes up and you are not prepared to commit the funds, let go of the vehicle for a later date. Meanwhile keep looking to sell the Ecosport.

Since you are eventually going to let go of the Ecosport which is an automatic, you will never be happy with the manual Thar.

All the best, hope things get sorted to your satisfaction.

Cheers

Thanks for the suggestion.
I already got a offer from the Mahindra Dealership for a Thar Diesel HT AT about a month after my booking cause of a booking cancellation but I had to reject that.
So, will stick to the Diesel HT AT.
Even before Ford's exit announcement, It was really hard to get a genuine buyer here in Assam. Cause my Ecosport is a Petrol car with automatic transmission. Automatic is still not a popular choice out here. Current petrol prices not helping either.
Still, I am trying to find buyers at a digestible price. Or I might need to offer the buyer parts and service assurance
dr_TJ is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th September 2021, 23:35   #2174
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelvinator View Post
Hi all,
There seems to be some issue in my thar when it comes to engaging 4H gear. When the car is not moving and i try to engage 4H from 2H everything works flawlessly but when it is moving and i try to do the same thing there is a very loud sound which comes out of the car sometimes and I could also smell something burning near the radiator when that sound comes but no smoke whatsoever. Has anyone else experienced this? My car is just 2 days old and it’s crazy to think a new car having such an issue. Planning on taking it back to the showroom tomorrow to get it inspected. Anything specific that I should get tested with regards to this?
What speeds were you doing while engaging 4H? I shift to 4H while rolling at ~5 KMPH without any issues. And you shouldn't be engaging it at any high a speed.
Old 13th September 2021, 11:03   #2175
BHPian

Who says one can't do off-roading or river rafting within Delhi itself

Got a chance to experience Thar's magic this weekend while going to the airport. It was raining quite heavily in NCR since Friday and by Saturday morning, all under-passes roads had turned into swimming pools.

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-whatsapp-image-20210913-10.54.10-am.jpeg

This pic was taken near aero-city. While other cars were thinking multiple times if they should go ahead, I didn't have even one inch of doubt and the mighty Thar just got through without any fuss.

Post this stretch, the water logging was even deeper and only the Thar got out of it. Had engaged 4H just for the mental peace but I think 2H would have also worked well. Other cars had to take a de-tour and got stuck in the jam. Many would have missed the flight I think

Also getting around 11.2Kmpl in the city now with AC. Pretty satisfied with the mileage of Petrol MT. The car has run 1040 kms and will be taking it for first service. Also planning to get the rear-cam installed from ASS. Had ordered via M2All. Can anyone please let me know how much the ASS charges for the installation of the rear-cam?
sid_deb is offline   (13) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks