Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th October 2021, 12:34   #2401
BHPian

Re: Mahindra Thar : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slipstream11 View Post
Do keep us posted on the details of your second service.
So got the second service done at Royal Motors workshop, off EM bypass in Kolkata. Thanks to fellow tbhpian @Slipstream for the contacts.
Was attended by a service advisor Avijit Singha, who helped me all along.

For the service, it was standard 2nd service, but still set me back by 13k

Got the usual Engine oil change (drank 6 litres), got the Diff Oil changed too (2 litres - this was just my requirement to make sure all oils are changed so that all initial debris is out, may be an overkill).

My Thar drank 12litres of DEF, wow, at an ODO reading of 9,700kms. Not sure what the DEF consumption rate is, but I have heard people reporting 8 litres DEF top up on second service. Mine is 95% highway driven stretching across the national highways from south to north. Can it be that, or high speeds or fuel quality that varies.

Additional cost was interior and exterior cleaning and polishing (no smelly dashboard polish) that I know was a rip off but the vehicle was in bad shape due to long running in rains and another long leg coming next weekend. So took the bite. It was a bomb pricing of ~4k but I didn't have an option or time or resources to do this on my own this time.

The plastic cup type device that Mahindra is fixing in harness to avoid water ingress during water wading was found not required for mine, I didnt understand the reason, was too late already so just left it. Any comments from fellow owners.

Overall, a busy day but happy with the work overall. Now the red beast looks gleaming back to glory, ready to munch another 1700kms from "sasural" (inlaws place kolkata) to "mayeka" (my hometown dehradun)

Looking forward fellow tbphians in Doon if possible.
justwheels is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 24th October 2021, 14:05   #2402
BHPian

Still thinking about Petrol vs Diesel decision: diesel is DPF issues whereas petrol has the upcoming 20 Ethanol blend issue.
Difficult time for car buyers I think.

Also, does Thar diesel effective efficiency go down if manual stationary regeneration is to be used frequently for city drives in Bangalore? How much diesel would such a 30 min thing consume?
Sidban85 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th October 2021, 15:04   #2403
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidban85 View Post
Still thinking about Petrol vs Diesel decision: diesel is DPF issues whereas petrol has the upcoming 20 Ethanol blend issue.

Also, does Thar diesel effective efficiency go down if manual stationary regeneration is to be used frequently for city drives in Bangalore? How much diesel would such a 30 min thing consume?
Difficult time indeed. I changed my variant from Diesel to Petrol after multiple discussions with service center folks as well as current owners. I live in pune and there would be times when my vehicle would be driven mostly in ghats for extended period of time without hitting the highway. Thought of getting stranded even if it is for 30 mins in ghats made me rethink my decision.

Having said that, only time will tell whether my decision was correct!!
alokk0912 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th October 2021, 15:29   #2404
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

I have a Diesel Thar. 16k KM done. Zero DPF issues. I have not seen anyone else report the same - except one, which is possibly a wiring issue than DPF.
ph03n!x is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 24th October 2021, 16:10   #2405
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Still thinking about Petrol vs Diesel decision
Here are a few factors influencing one's choice of one over the other:
  • Running - this is the most important one, I reckon, given the higher cost of petrol (compared to diesel) and lower FE of the mStallion engine (compared to the mHawk). Folks with high running (say, more than 1,000 km a month) should go with diesel, unless fuel expense is not an issue.
  • Refinement - while the mHawk mill is quite refined, the mStallion unit takes thing to another level. Drive one to believe it! The power delivery is just addictive.
  • Resale - it might matter to some. A diesel SUV is bound to have higher resale value compared to petrol.
  • BS6 diesels - DPF related issues, though sporadic, are being reported. Moreover, the dependency on AdBlue, while not a big deal, is very much a reality.

Take your pick based on the weightage you'd give to each of the above factors.
cool_dube is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 25th October 2021, 06:58   #2406
BHPian

Hello Thar owners,
I went for a 500 km long trip yesterday.
Total odo reading after the trip stands at 650 kms. Fuel efficiency as per MID is 14.3 kmpl.
Running in the engine so mostly cruised at 80 kmph only crossing 80 kmph for some overtaking.

During the trip, with the blower off and no music playing, I heard some knocking sound from the rear.
Mostly on hard to moderate braking.
I think there is some issue with the rear drum brakes.
Any idea what this could be?

Also, windshield fogging was observed during the evening driving phase, daytime it was fine. Although not worried about it as much as the knocking sound.

I will get this checked at the service center as soon as I can manage some time. This upcoming week is scheduled to be hectic

Last edited by dr_TJ : 25th October 2021 at 07:01.
dr_TJ is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th October 2021, 07:50   #2407
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr_TJ View Post
During the trip, with the blower off and no music playing, I heard some knocking sound from the rear.
Mostly on hard to moderate braking.
I think there is some issue with the rear drum brakes.
Any idea what this could be?
Refer post #2367 from bhargav_dave for a similar issue and a possible resolution.

Link - https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offic...ml#post5176295 (Mahindra Thar : Official Review)
Slipstream11 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th October 2021, 08:46   #2408
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhargav_dave View Post
I've already taken it to Polo forrest over the weekend (on a 300km trip) and it has been an absolute pleasure to drive. However, while returning from the trip I heard a knocking sound from the rear of the Thar every time I put on the brakes (especially over 50km speed). I took it to the service station and the mechanic informed me that it needs the rear drums changing. He said it in a way that indicated that this could be a wider issue (he said they are receiving 16 drums on Wednesday).

Has anyone else faced the same issue? Hope there are no further quality related issues with the vehicle.

Thanks.
I think I am facing a similar issue as you have described. Knocking sound from the rear.
I will get it checked at the service center soon.
Please update on your issue and solution.
Old 25th October 2021, 10:48   #2409
BHPian

Quote:
I think I am facing a similar issue as you have described. Knocking sound from the rear.
I will get it checked at the service center soon.
Please update on your issue and solution.
Hi. Mine has literally just gone to the service station for replacement. I will let you know once I get the car back. It was supposed to be last week but they screwed up as the "parts were in transport".
bhargav_dave is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th October 2021, 11:19   #2410
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhargav_dave View Post
Hi. Mine has literally just gone to the service station for replacement.
Seems to be an issue with a certain batch of supplier parts, most probably brake drums in this case. Can you guys connect on serial nos. for your respective Thar's? Most probably they'll be very close to each other.
cool_dube is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th October 2021, 11:25   #2411
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cool_dube View Post
Seems to be an issue with a certain batch of supplier parts, most probably brake drums in this case. Can you guys connect on serial nos. for your respective Thar's? Most probably they'll be very close to each other.
Mine is July manufactured. And reached Dealership stockyard on August
dr_TJ is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th October 2021, 11:52   #2412
BHPian

Mine is October make. Manufactured and delivered in Oct.
bhargav_dave is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th October 2021, 12:31   #2413
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeoMachine View Post
Hoping for a Dusshera delivery. Fingers crossed.
So finally took delivery of Petrol LX HT AT in Napoli Black on Dusshera. The showroom was quite busy with 23 deliveries lined up for the day. Had to be in queue for delivery formalities to be completed.

Delivery experience was good. Nothing much to talk about. All procedures followed and paperwork explained. Have opted for below accessories from Mahindra.

1) Rear camera
2) Piano Black Taillamp Appliques
3) Piano Black Headlamp Appliques
4) Piano Black side mirror Appliques
5) Steering wheel cover
6) Radiator protection kit
7) Fuel Tank protection

Accessories # 5 - 7 are out of stock hence pending to be installed. Hope to get it done this week. In addition, have also installed front centre arm rest with storage and cup holders and rear seat side armrest with storage and cup holders from outside.

The drive experience so far has been super. Still getting to learn/unlearn few things. Dead pedal is sorely missed. Planning for aftermarket install.
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra Thar : Official Review-thar1.jpg  

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-thar2.jpg  

LeoMachine is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 25th October 2021, 13:43   #2414
BHPian

Thank you all for answering my earlier question on Petrol vs Diesel.

Also, do any of the HT owners in the forum have dogs? If so, how do you make your pet get in? By folding the rear seats and making them stay there or through front door? Getting in through front door and then back seats looks like a chore and possibility of getting hurt, unless you train them to jump back between the front seats.

Any help or suggestions will be useful.
Old 25th October 2021, 16:57   #2415
Senior - BHPian

I recently completed 12 days driving across 7-8 states especially remote areas of Kashmir, Ladakh and Zanskar valley. Many of these places did not have telephone network or much civilization. I must admit that I had constant fear of driving electronic laden BSVI vehicle with DEF. Furthermore, manual says DEF freezes at -11C. Whereas we reached minimum temperature of -13C overnight.
My only saving grace was another non BSVI vehicle with 4WD and enough space to accommodate me if something would have gone wrong. Luckily, I didnt face single issue throughout the trip. Even many locals had warned me about DEF issue but i followed a simple routine of manually driving Thar above 2000 RPM for 20-25 minutes (few places anyways needed such RPMs) every few hours to avoid DEF issue.
The only issues after 12500 kms is increased buffeting noise between hardtop and windscreen and rear door making noise.
To be fair with Mahindra, Thar first gives you indication for REGEN and this is something you SHOULD NOT ignore. At this stage you can manually do the Re-generation.
Heard stories of locals rejecting BSVI vehicles or opting for petrol vehicles wherever possible. But these are hearsays and not first hand experiences. Most of the new Thars are petrol in Ladakh region as per my observation.
Conclusion: Will most probably take my non Scorpio, Pajero etc, next time to avoid anxiety. As more people travel to these remote areas with BSVI diesel vehicles over next few months, things will be more clear.

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-1634802240310.jpg

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-1634802240316.jpg

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-1634802240322.jpg

Last edited by Shubhendra : 25th October 2021 at 16:59.
Shubhendra is offline   (21) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks