Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th November 2021, 13:03   #2611
BHPian

Re: Mahindra Thar : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by highwaypatrol View Post
Grinding noise from the right front tire - When do you have this sound coming up? I have the similiar sound at times, especially when it rains and going at slow speed while braking. Sound is clearly audible especially when I engage hill decent control and metal clanking sound which I believe is either from the disc brakes or from HDC system. I got no clue how to resolve this as at times it can get a bit annoying.
Yes, the noise is very similar to the sound emitted when HDC is engaged. However, I get that sound only on bad roads which makes me doubt that it is something related with the suspension.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sridhar-v View Post
Regarding the grinding noise - get the front caliper pins cleaned and grease. Also grease the contact between the brake pad edges and the retaining vlips. This should solve the problem.
If not you will have to get a complete check to see if the front bearing is running dry.
It shouldn't be the bearing but I can give a try cleaning and lubricating the break system. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by swunkjyn View Post
Yours is a Diesel or Petrol. I was keen to know if other members on this forum have faced this issue. Could it be confined to Diesel only or Petrol is also having the same issues.
Mine is a diesel. Just to clarify, I am enjoying the vehicle thoroughly and it has become my daily drive. If i be totally honest, the refinement of the engine and the smoothness of the ride makes me suspicious of it because after all it is a Mahindra product. Mahindra's are supposed to loud and crude, right? Or maybe I am still living in a cave. But hey, both the rear shocks in my thar have oil seepage so I might not be completely wrong.
Malhi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th November 2021, 20:24   #2612
Senior - BHPian

An unexpected and pleasant gesture by my dealership's CRM Team on my Thar's first birthday - a nice bouquet and a big box of sweets!

We have a few cars, owned some more in the past, but I haven't heard of a dealership celebrating a vehicle's first birthday

Thank you M&M, and thank you CAI Mahindra!! If only all dealerships of M&M are like you...!

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-img_20211127_1706002.jpg

I'll post a detailed one-year update in my ownership thread soon!
ph03n!x is online now   (43) Thanks
Old 28th November 2021, 00:00   #2613
BHPian

A question to the diesel Thar owners. I got a "dpf is clogged" alert on the MID but for a fraction of a second, after that the alert went off. Not sure if it is a bug or dpf is really clogged. The warning log showed nothing. Also no regen alerts have popped up. As per my knowledge in the worst case the regen alert should come up. Has anyone else faced this?
Old 28th November 2021, 04:23   #2614
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourer View Post
A question to the diesel Thar owners. I got a "dpf is clogged" alert on the MID but for a fraction of a second, after that the alert went off. Not sure if it is a bug or dpf is really clogged. The warning log showed nothing. Also no regen alerts have popped up. As per my knowledge in the worst case the regen alert should come up. Has anyone else faced this?
This is normal, and happens once in a while in my Thar too - it's a blink-and-you-miss kinda alert that happens when the exhaust system is doing its work through passive regen automatically.

Don't worry about it unless you get an alert prompt to take action - and read this thread (All your questions about DPF & BS6 Diesel answered by a Diesel Calibration Engineer) in case you already have not
ph03n!x is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 28th November 2021, 08:30   #2615
BHPian

I was thinking of upgrading my fog lights to 3 inch iPHcar Bi-Beam LED Fog lights, but worried about the fog light mounting situation cause I won't be able to get any custom mounting brackets fabricated here.
Why LED over HIDs?
Because I want to use the stock fog light wiring.

The LED Projector light has 4 wires, + and - of the LED chip and + and - for the solenoid for High-low.
Can I use a H16 female connector to connect the projector led to the stock H16 fog light plug?
Old 28th November 2021, 22:12   #2616
Senior - BHPian

For those interested in real-world FE figures of the mStallion mill, here is what I got on my 280 km run from Bangalore to south Coorg, drive being a mix of NH, SH, and interior narrow hilly roads. Of course, I was a tad gentle on the pedal as the Thar is yet to touch the 1000 km mark on its odo. Decent figures nonetheless, for a 2 lit turbo petrol with AT.
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra Thar : Official Review-img_20211128_151504332.jpg  

cool_dube is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 29th November 2021, 06:35   #2617
Senior - BHPian

Hi Folks,

Yesterday Amigo got adorned with 7D mats. The mats feel durable and are made to last. They also are a snug fit with contoured shape to suit the Thar's footwells.

Some pictures for your viewing pleasure!
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra Thar : Official Review-videocapture_20211129063221.jpg  

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-screenshot_20211129063332_gallery.jpg  

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-videocapture_20211129063449.jpg  

getsurya is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 29th November 2021, 10:15   #2618
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cool_dube View Post
For those interested in real-world FE figures of the mStallion mill, here is what I got on my 280 km run from Bangalore to south Coorg, drive being a mix of NH, SH, and interior narrow hilly roads. Of course, I was a tad gentle on the pedal as the Thar is yet to touch the 1000 km mark on its odo. Decent figures nonetheless, for a 2 lit turbo petrol with AT.
To be honest your mileage figures look really good. I got roughly 14-14.5 kmpl on my drive from Bombay to Hyderabad, most of it was at cruise control on 90 kmph though. This was in diesel mHawk though.
Turbolove is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th November 2021, 12:14   #2619
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbolove View Post
To be honest your mileage figures look really good. I got roughly 14-14.5 kmpl on my drive from Bombay to Hyderabad, most of it was at cruise control on 90 kmph though. This was in diesel mHawk though.
Its a good mileage for a Diesel.

Quote:
This is what is going to inspire many members over here for a Petrol Automatic. I am myself considering one as have driven a Petrol Automatic and its a very silent engine plus that power band is always available. I would say anything over 10 km/L is a good mileage for Petrol, considering the power of the Engine and the size of the vehicle.
swunkjyn is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th November 2021, 16:19   #2620
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I am myself considering one as have driven a Petrol Automatic and its a very silent engine plus that power band is always available.
Oh, absolutely! It is an amazing engine, to say the least. The power is addictive and the engine is silent & refined to the extent of being surreal. I love the punch, even while being gentle with the throttle. One can only imagine the thrill of aggressive driving with this motor. This, coupled with the lovely gearbox - which shifts as seamlessly as an EV - makes for a deadly concoction. Net net, I am super happy that I chose petrol over diesel.
cool_dube is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 29th November 2021, 21:28   #2621
BHPian

Quote:
Net net, I am super happy that I chose petrol over diesel.
Totally agree. I moved to petrol because of DPF issues and so glad I did. I have driven close to 700 kms and have not used the full throttle yet. Waiting to use it once first servicing done.
Old 30th November 2021, 06:21   #2622
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Its a good mileage for a Diesel.
My Amigo is a Diesel AT and it does return good mileage. The least I have got so far is 10.5 kmpl when I pushed it hard and throttled heavy. The best I have got is 17.2 kmpl when driven sedately at 70 kmph and keeping the revv band below 1800 rpm.
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra Thar : Official Review-videocapture_20211130061649.jpg  

getsurya is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th November 2021, 11:33   #2623
Distinguished - BHPian

We spent 7 days in dunes, pushing to limit 16 different cars, out of those 3 were new Thars, 2 Diesel Auto and a Petrol Manual.

The engines both Diesel and Petrol are well tuned, and put out good performance.

But Petrol had a huge disadvantage, upon being pushed, the car starts overheating within every 10-15 minutes, it needs a break to cool down, while driving hard in boggy sand the driver has to keep an eye on temperature gauge. In fact we kept the OBD reader permanently plugged to the petrol Thar. To reduce damage to engine, we used to initiate cooldown process once temp went one notch up.

This issue doesnt occur on roads, no matter how hard you drive, but only offroading in boggy sand where are lot of constant power has to be put down continously.

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-img_20211121_173628.jpg

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-screenshot_20211121173623.jpg

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-img_4305.jpg

Diesel Thars on the other end were perfectly alright.

Last edited by .anshuman : 30th November 2021 at 11:34.
.anshuman is offline   (27) Thanks
Old 1st December 2021, 22:22   #2624
BHPian

An update about an upgrade of speakers. I got the stock speakers replaced with JL C1 650 components in the front and JL C1 650 coaxials on the top.

The work was done at EVO audio at Bangalore and was quite satisfactory.

Overall, I would say it is a worthy upgrade but an amplifier might be needed to really use the speakers to their fullest. This is something I might do later (if ever).

The speakers were a straight fit, as opposed to the Morel Maximo which I originally wanted which needed a little too much manipulation than I was comfortable with.

Pics of the tweeters on the A-pillars attached. Audio is a slippery slope to go down. You can spend a lakh and still be on the lookout of making it richer/warmer/etc!
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra Thar : Official Review-whatsapp-image-20211201-10.13.06-pm.jpeg  

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-whatsapp-image-20211201-10.13.07-pm.jpeg  

Kapany is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd December 2021, 09:55   #2625
BHPian

Any Thar owner who have opted for aftermarket headlights?
How is the result?
I would like to upgrade to Projector Headlights and retain the Stock foglamps for foggy conditions.
Orelse have to opt for Bi-Xenon or Bi-LED Projector Fog lamps.

Which of these combination will be good for everyday use?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks