Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th July 2022, 07:03   #3316
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)
Re: New Thar Convertible Top - Accessory Suggestions Please!

Quote:
Originally Posted by batish View Post
I
Did you try adjusting the fog lamp beam before swapping them?
My stock foglamp bulbs worked fine right from Day 1. The very fact that Ive driven this car 15000 odd kms before making this OEM fog lamp bulb swap and adding the big Hellas, shows this.
I wanted the big hellas because while they are excellently functional as per my experiences earlier, they also look very good. And last week when I saw this three colour foglamp plug and play set I just wanted them so I bought and fitted them too.
With these additions and changes, I achieve some cosmetic appeal and in varying conditions of visibility I now atleast have the option of switching from white to warm white to Amber, thus giving me a chance at improving the visibility as and when required.
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra Thar : Official Review-3a57d47d3a36468b9ed2ac592aabd9ff.jpeg  

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-88a051afd93549f3bec74b605d6e2322.jpeg  

shankar.balan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th July 2022, 08:07   #3317
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navpreet318 View Post
Could you please share some details or a link for this halogen fog lamp setup. This seems a very good plug and play setup.
So finally inferred that the 3 colour fog lamp is NOT a halogen setup.
Infact it is a LED bulb which goes into the stock fog lamp assembly.
I think I'll just stick to the stock fog lamp setup as of now. There is simply nothing which comes close to the reliability of a stock fitment when it comes to electricals.
I've swapped the Headlight bulbs to Osram ones which give a decent throw.
I have a set of Lightforce which I've taken off. They were just too powerful for the oncoming traffic.
navpreet318 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th July 2022, 09:05   #3318
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
My stock foglamp bulbs worked fine right from Day 1. The very fact that Ive driven this car 15000 odd kms before making this OEM fog lamp bulb swap and adding the big Hellas, shows this.
I wanted the big hellas because while they are excellently functional as per my experiences earlier, they also look very good. And last week when I saw this three colour foglamp plug and play set I just wanted them so I bought and fitted them too.
With these additions and changes, I achieve some cosmetic appeal and in varying conditions of visibility I now atleast have the option of switching from white to warm white to Amber, thus giving me a chance at improving the visibility as and when required.
The Stock lights are not adequate, that is what I have felt too and might go for an upgrade next month. Out of 10k Kms that I have driven, 4000 kms would be night driving especially on highways.

Did you get the Hella's yourself and found a local shop for the installation or did they help you with everything. Can you please share the details of the shop.

I know from your previous posts that the Stock Headlight bulbs were swapped with Xtreme Vision from Philips. I have those in my Alto K10 and the different was over 50% from stock. My plan is to test these -

Philips RacingVision H4 - https://www.amazon.in/Philips-Racing...7CPTR1F9&psc=1
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra Thar : Official Review-philips.jpg  

Old 25th July 2022, 09:35   #3319
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by swunkjyn View Post
The Stock lights are not adequate, that is what I have felt too and might go for an upgrade next month.
Did you get the Hella's yourself and found a local shop for the installation or did they help you with everything. Can you please share the details of the shop.
Stock Headlight bulbs were swapped with Xtreme Vision from Philips. I have those in my Alto K10 and the different was over 50% from stock. My plan is to test these -Philips RacingVision H4 ]
Quote:
Originally Posted by navpreet318 View Post
So finally inferred that the 3 colour fog lamp is NOT a halogen setup.
Infact it is a LED bulb which goes into the stock fog lamp assembly.
There is simply nothing which comes close to the reliability of a stock fitment when it comes to electricals.
I've swapped the Headlight bulbs to Osram ones which give a decent throw.
I have a set of Lightforce which I've taken off. They were just too powerful for the oncoming traffic.
Replying to each point above.
@swunkjyn
1. Stock headlamp bulbs are fine for normal use where there are city lights. Yes it is true that the Philips Extreme Vision G Force bulbs are fantastic. Yes also to the fact that the positive difference is more than 50% over the stock ones. So it is Rs 1700-1800 well spent.
2. I bought the Hella 700FF’s at AutoStyle in Koramangala Bangalore and their Electricians fitted them neatly to my Thar. I paid Rs 7417/- for them - same price as was available on Amazon as well.
3. I have no experience of these Racing Vision bulbs. But for a Jeepy thing like a Thar I personally will prefer the Philips G Force or Osram Nightbreakers of stock wattage as tried and tested by many on the forum.

@navpreet318
1. Apologies for the mistake. Yes they are LEDs and not halogens.
2. I wouldn't always agree to this and would definitely move to experiment with better lighting options and test them. Provided of course they come properly recommended by experts and are of a high quality, which I may add, these seem to be. However, I shall update further once I experience these three coloured LED bumper mounted fog lamps in misty conditions. Whether they are actually effective or not, will soon become known. If they work then Im ok. If not, then Ive just burnt 7000 Rs. (the price sticker shows 7690 but I paid 7000)
3. Ive anyway also put the Hella 700FF Foglamps with Yellow light as shown. The covers of these will only be removed at night in the hills when encountering grey and rainy and misty conditions and tested accordingly. At that time I do believe the combo of my sharp white Philips 55W H4 Extreme vision G Force Halogen headlamps plus these LED bumper mounted foglamps plus the Hella 700FFs ought to be able to cut through most of the mist and fog that I am likely to encounter.

At least, I shall keep fingers crossed and hope so.
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra Thar : Official Review-11d8187224a04d669f52d4f290834875.jpeg  

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-1c3fe78de69248b7af2d02492d4c88ae.jpeg  

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-67934a88a68d4f38b6bcb3028efcf07f.jpeg  

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-a5f7834804dc40fc8f79354abf770c67.jpeg  

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-849262c316094f449e45fe171d11bc83.jpeg  

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-4cf3b90537694f4f87b5123161aea4aa.jpeg  

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-eb94b03d8d3d4d11940c547cab44fd3b.jpeg  

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-e0a3a0a3c34d4dcd8081debeeb51b67c.jpeg  

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-c620fd67f7534371a84d4a961da12b72.jpeg  

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-84c6496a124f42af9fe3dc10b07c32c8.jpeg  

Last edited by shankar.balan : 25th July 2022 at 09:36. Reason: Price
shankar.balan is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 25th July 2022, 14:58   #3320
BHPian

Quote:
Replying to each point above.
@swunkjyn
1. Stock headlamp bulbs are fine for normal use where there are city lights. Yes it is true that the Philips Extreme Vision G Force bulbs are fantastic. Yes also to the fact that the positive difference is more than 50% over the stock ones. So it is Rs 1700-1800 well spent.
2. I bought the Hella 700FF’s at AutoStyle in Koramangala Bangalore and their Electricians fitted them neatly to my Thar. I paid Rs 7417/- for them - same price as was available on Amazon as well.
3. I have no experience of these Racing Vision bulbs. But for a Jeepy thing like a Thar I personally will prefer the Philips G Force or Osram Nightbreakers of stock wattage as tried and tested by many on the forum.
I was anyways planning a trip to Autostyle for the roofrack from Bimbra. Will check with them for upgrading the lighting. Thanks for the inputs and this seems like a reasonable upgrade in terms of cost.
Old 25th July 2022, 18:32   #3321
BHPian

Re: Mahindra Thar : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkerThanBlack View Post
Has anyone tried putting LED Bulbs in Thar's Headlights?

I have seen many members and some YouTubers not recommending LED bulbs for reflector housing. But, after watching many videos on LED Bulbs for Wrangler, I am thinking of giving it a try, as the problem is with their alignment and not with the bulbs themselves.

Link - LED bulbs for Wrangler's Reflector Housing
https://www.Youtube.com/watch?v=vXJVLbzgsZw

Link - Alignment of H4 LED bulb in 7inch Headlight
https://www.Youtube.com/watch?v=R_dLGPqP2Ws

Any Thoughts?

Thanks
Hi there, was sailing the same boat for past few weeks. Could not land on any reliable reviews online for Thar, so took the bait and picked up a pair of OSRAM H4 25W LEDs. It seemed like a DIY, but the stock clip was very hard to lock with the LEDs. Finally took it a professional and he managed to lock them in place. The O rings + dustcaps are in place and I am hoping they would be good enough to save me from dust issues.

Unfortunately, have not hit the city roads or highway, or in rain or fog as yet. I did test them in my neighborhood and my impressions are from few minutes of static testing. The low beam cut off and spread is better than stock halogens, with negligible scattering or blinding for incoming traffic. High beam throw seemed okie, nothing impressive. Not very happy with spread though.

Am happy with low beams, hoping i have not burnt my fingers when it comes to highway drives
dr.dre is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th July 2022, 19:12   #3322
BHPian

Quote:
Hi Shankar,

Keenly looking forward to your feedback on the Hella 700s. I have always been worried on the quality of install, very hard to come by a professional install. Can you please throw some light on the installation process of these Hellas. Also, did you explore other Hella/Lightforce models? Thank you.
Old 25th July 2022, 19:38   #3323
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr.dre View Post
feedback on the Hella 700s. I have always been worried on the quality of install, very hard to come by a professional installer. Also, did you explore other Hella/Lightforce models.
1. So far, from what I have seen and experienced over many years from the time I was a kid, Hellas are great fog lamps. We had Hella 500s on our Amby and MM540 and Esteem and I’ve had them on several of my Gypsys too in the past. I will post more about these 700FFs after I try them in the dark rainy misty conditions.

2. AutoStyle Koramangala - RobiMahanta had spoken well about them, so I went there. They are very good. No unnecessary cutting and chopping. Good clean fuss-free, professional work. No time wasting either.

3. Yes I saw some Lightforce Models at AutoStyle. But they were seriously expensive compared to the Hellas. I saw 4 models of Lightforce, priced respectively at Rs. 21000, Rs. 23000, Rs. 25000 and Rs. 1.25 Lac for a pair, while the Hellas cost Rs. 7417. Lightforce does not come with OEM opaque plastic covers like the Hellas do, which means that I will become a fair target here for any policeman. My usage does not require KC and Lightforce foglamps.

I’ve put out some pics of some of the Lightforce foglamps I saw and of the AutoStyle shop facade. They are on 80 ft. Road, Koramangala, Bangalore opposite the Indian Oil Petrol Pump.
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra Thar : Official Review-b92697662d6d4527afd136a2c7bb6f31.jpeg  

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-44fb3f52719f4eaca57dbd3c40ffaa9d.jpeg  

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-a743bb56eaad49ea9eeefc1f4173c6ed.jpeg  

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-b3da6d285f134cf48f8a6f9fdc40d80e.jpeg  

Last edited by Aditya : 26th July 2022 at 06:40. Reason: Spacing, spelling, punctuation
shankar.balan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th July 2022, 22:43   #3324
BHPian

Here is the problem I faced today. It was drizzling outside when I went for a drive. Switched on the AC and this is what I experienced.

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-20220725_211459.jpg

Can anybody please tell me what is the solution for this? I had to drive all the way by using wipers every 10 seconds when it wasn't even raining. I do get fogging can be a issue sometimes but this one didn't go away at all. I tried various AC temperatures, air direction to the windshield, recirculation/fresh air mode, everything failed.

It's severely hinders the visibility. Any solutions?

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-20220725_223416.jpg
batish is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 26th July 2022, 02:04   #3325
BHPian

The solution for the AC vents fogging/misting up the glass is circular 03212 issued March 2022.

Take this info to any MASS for a free replacement of the entire HVAC unit. Mine is going in for this next Monday. The parts have been ordered. Will report once this is done. As per my MASS, they've not done this for anyone yet..

Speak up, people. Be heard.

Short term solution - run the heater full blast on the front glass for a few minutes until it's hot. Then go back to regular AC mode - easy 30 minute relief. Also avoid mixed upper and lower vents - leads to more air Leakage via the glass ducts. Lastly, turn off air exchange with the environment as much as possible.

Generally speaking, never use an AC mode to defog the front windshield. This will result in condensation on the outside! Always use heat as soon as the engine allows (the engine must be hot to use latent heat from the coolant.)

Last edited by wooka : 26th July 2022 at 02:08. Reason: Fogging *and* misting - two keywords that will make it easier to find the post.
wooka is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 26th July 2022, 10:46   #3326
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wooka View Post
The solution for the AC vents fogging/misting up the glass is circular 03212 issued March 2022.

*SNIP*
May I trouble you to kindly link to this circular or post a copy here (if you have access to either)?

Thank you and cheers
Old 26th July 2022, 11:57   #3327
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr.dre View Post
Hi there, was sailing the same boat for past few weeks. Could not land on any reliable reviews online for Thar, so took the bait and picked up a pair of OSRAM H4 25W LEDs. It seemed like a DIY, but the stock clip was very hard to lock with the LEDs. Finally took it a professional and he managed to lock them in place. The O rings + dustcaps are in place and I am hoping they would be good enough to save me from dust issues.

Unfortunately, have not hit the city roads or highway, or in rain or fog as yet. I did test them in my neighborhood and my impressions are from few minutes of static testing. The low beam cut off and spread is better than stock halogens, with negligible scattering or blinding for incoming traffic. High beam throw seemed okie, nothing impressive. Not very happy with spread though.

Am happy with low beams, hoping I have not burnt my fingers when it comes to highway drives
+ This video should help with putting stock clips over new LED bulbs.
- Link -

+ Can you share Pictures of LowBeam and HighBeam performance of OSRAM LEDs on Thar?

+ Would you recommend any other Brand over OSRAM?
- Philips is very costly.
- I recently came to know about an Indian LED Brand - AutoBahn. Do you know anything about it?

+ How about using dual color projectors in fog lights to counter problems with rain, fog and mist?
Old 26th July 2022, 16:03   #3328
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tilt View Post
May I trouble you to kindly link to this circular or post a copy here (if you have access to either)?

Thank you and cheers
I'd like to, but I'm afraid, it's a confidential system. The circular # is the best I can do =)

However, the DEF dosing valve has been swapped. Don't let them just 'unclog' it.
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra Thar : Official Review-img20220725wa0030.jpg  

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-img20220725wa0031.jpg  

Last edited by wooka : 26th July 2022 at 16:16.
wooka is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th July 2022, 22:55   #3329
BHPian

Any reccomendations for boot organizer for thar? Also apart from punture kit and type pump anything else that you guys have found useful as a replacement or new item in the kit?
Old 27th July 2022, 07:50   #3330
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by vellatechie View Post
Any reccomendations for boot organizer for thar?
I have a couple of those long and narrow trunk organizers from Amazon. They fit into the narrow boot area of the Thar and carry what I deem to be necessary as permanent vehicle kit comprising;
1. Heavy Duty Tyre inflator
2. Battery Jumper cable
3. Bottle Jack plus the OEM Jack and wheel spanner and tyre iron.
4. Umbrella
5. Torch
6. Tool Kit (nose pliers, wire stripper, screwdrivers, spanners etc)
7. Mahindra Warning triangles
8. Multi-tool Penknife
9. Various microfibre cloths
10. Protective workmans gloves
11. Pack of surgical gloves
12. 1 litre of Mahindra Coolant
13. 1 litre of Distilled Water
14. 1 litre of Mahindra engine oil
15. Tow/ snatch strap
16. Roll of paracord rope
17. Emergency medical kit
18. Emergency ‘Survival’ kit including a set of foldable camping spoon knife and fork
19. Matches/ Lighter (very carefully wrapped up and stored)
20. Fire Extinguisher
21. MSeal, Duct Tape, Insulation Tape and a tube of Fevibond.
22. Other small odds and ends and bits and pieces like allen keys and bits of rubber tubing and so on.
23. Decathlon camping stools
24. Emergency sleeping bag
25. Always keep some bottles of water and hand sanitiser, charging wires, tissues, disinfectant wet wipes.

This is a bit of overkill for an urban commuter and highway cruiser I know, but it keeps me psychologically happy.

All of this comes from a time when we lived on the tea estates and in those days the whole area was less inhabited and vehicles were fewer and further between so it was always nice to have an emergency kit. The emergency kit itself has expanded and become more complex now, that is all.
shankar.balan is offline   (9) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks