Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 11th November 2020, 22:10   #271
BHPian

re: Nissan Magnite Review

Found these from OLX (lol, the dealer advertised it there).

The behind is really a stunner
looks bolder than some of the 1 MINR+ csuv

Nissan Magnite Review-image-1.jpg

Nissan Magnite Review-image-5.jpg

Nissan Magnite Review-image-2.jpg

Nissan Magnite Review-image-3.jpg

Nissan Magnite Review-image-4.jpg

Nissan Magnite Review-1image.jpg

Last edited by starke : 11th November 2020 at 22:16.
starke is offline   (20) Thanks
Old 11th November 2020, 22:30   #272
BHPian

Any comments on the Nissan CVT?
This website paints a gruesome picture - http://www.nissanproblems.com/cvt/ (I understand it should be taken with a pinch of salt.)
Old 11th November 2020, 22:52   #273
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComicCharcoal View Post
This website paints a gruesome picture - http://www.nissanproblems.com/cvt/ (I understand it should be taken with a pinch of salt.)
Nissan brand has got the maximum awards for 2020 from JD power. One of the most trusted surveys.

Nissan secured mutiple awards related to quality and reliability and if you see most of those cars have Xtronic CVT.

https://www.jdpower.com/cars/ratings
Attached Thumbnails
Nissan Magnite Review-718b19a1a80a4e7a8d5f5cc1798b4b2b.png  

Nissan Magnite Review-b9672755ea6d4070887e584ccaceb535.png  

Nissan Magnite Review-e44bc4ffce7040a895f2b4a0cf3c06ab.png  

Godzilla is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 12th November 2020, 00:00   #274
BHPian

While the potential pricing is awesome, and the styling is great, I would only decide on Nissan Magnite based on NCAP crash tests. Seltos results have shocked one and all , and I have a sneaky feeling this will be even worse.
JishD is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th November 2020, 01:44   #275
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godzilla View Post
It is not a pity, no other car in Indian market apart from Ford freestyle under 10 Lakhs offer more than 2 air bags. On the plus side Magnite is one of the few cars which offer ESP, TC and Hill hold at this price. Please check previous pages we have discussed this.
Well I believe the top end Renault Triber offers 4 airbags in about 8 Lacs.
armaan_singh is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th November 2020, 08:47   #276
Senior - BHPian

I am very suspicious about Magnite after seeing latest KIA Seltos poor GNCAP crash test reports. Hope they test Magnite before the launch!
Latheesh is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 12th November 2020, 09:00   #277
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComicCharcoal View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Godzilla View Post
Nissan brand has got the maximum awards for 2020 from JD power. One of the most trusted surveys.
Okay I need to clear the air regarding Nissan’s Jatco CVT.

Please don’t blindly trust JD Power as they are just another biased survey like most of the rest.

Nissan CVTs, while smooth & fuel efficient, have a major draw back and that’s longevity. However, for the Indian context, that longevity is relative. They usually start slipping & breaking down post 200,000kms. A figure which most private owners in India won’t cross.

Nissan’s CVT (Jatco) is still much, much inferior to the Toyota (Aisin) & Honda CVTs. However, it’s still leagues ahead of some of the others.

Abroad however, transmissions are expected to last well over 1,000,000kms, over the life of the vehicle. Hence the label of unreliable transmissions as 200,000kms is well short of the typical expected life of the transmission.

So, for the Indian use case, the Nissan CVT may be sufficiently reliable for a typical ownership period of 10yrs/100,000kms. However please don’t go by surveys as they are mostly clueless.

You can’t label a 2020 technology reliable, because frankly, it’s way too early to tell. Give it 5-10yrs, and feedback from thousands of owners. If it still holds up well, then sure, its reliable.

My own 2010 Micra CVT is still going strong at 170,000kms with the original engine & transmission. But I’m well aware of what to expect after 200,000kms.

Again, don’t believe everything you read on the internet, blindly.

Last edited by ChoosetoCruze : 12th November 2020 at 09:07.
ChoosetoCruze is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 12th November 2020, 10:16   #278
Senior - BHPian

Nissan dealers have unofficially begun accepting bookings for the Magnite, amount ranging from Rs 11,000 to Rs 25,000. Deliveries are expected to start by early December.

https://www.autocarindia.com/car-new...s-11000-419163
Venkatesh is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th November 2020, 10:29   #279
Senior - BHPian

Given the crash ratings of the Renault Duster, I don't have much expectations from the Magnite. Consider it a bonus if it gets anything above a two star rating. At least they have priced it pretty well unlike the Koreans. But then again we have only ourselves to blame, because the general public in India gives more importance to bling than safety.
longhorn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th November 2020, 14:39   #280
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by longhorn View Post
Given the crash ratings of the Renault Duster, I don't have much expectations from the Magnite. Consider it a bonus if it gets anything above a two star rating
Duster and Magnite is from entirely different platforms from different timelines.

Duster lies on the B0 platform, which is old but proven to be 3 stars on the airbag version.

Where as Magnite is based on their new CMFA+ platform which is developed for global usage among the Alliance companies. Till the time they test the car, we can not claim anything, but considering the global development it should score better.
starke is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th November 2020, 15:33   #281
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by starke View Post
Where as Magnite is based on their new CMFA+ platform which is developed for global usage among the Alliance companies. Till the time they test the car, we can not claim anything, but considering the global development it should score better.
No offense. But platforms like these built for developing countries are almost always structurally compromised simply because our successive governments have not put in place rules and regulations to ensure passenger safety and of course our general public doesn't much care about it.

If Nissan/Renault want the public to believe their cars are going to be safe then let them come out with a statement saying that are going to get that 4/5 star in GNCAP and then go actually do it.

I can understand that lot of users online are genuinely waiting for this car as prospective customers (also it would be foolish for Nissan to not have it's PR guys drum up anticipation for their do or die product) but as responsible Team-BHP members we need to highlight a manufacturer track record in safety not obfuscate it.
JithinR is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th November 2020, 15:40   #282
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by starke View Post
Duster lies on the B0 platform, which is old but proven to be 3 stars on the airbag version.

Where as Magnite is based on their new CMFA+ platform which is developed for global usage among the Alliance companies.
All this comes from management intent and company ethics. Renault India had the galls to reduce the size of the airbag in the Indian variant of the Duster as compared to the one sold in international markets. We all know how the Redigo fared. The Magnite sits below the Duster. Similar to Hyundai-Kia and Maruti, I don't have any expectations from this group with respect to safety.

As mentioned in the Sonet thread, platform is the most abused word in car talk nowadays. The platform in isolation doesn't mean anything at all. The quality and strength of steel used and reinforcements at critical points is as important as engineering prowess.

It's not that they don't know how to do it, its just that they decided not to, because Indian lives don't matter and the Indian public and the clowns that govern this country couldn't care less.
longhorn is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 12th November 2020, 16:46   #283
Senior - BHPian

Nice, Magnite promises what Kicks could not

Compact SUV(sub-4m) seem to be overcrowded and Nissan better do well here. Seems to be a better strategy than aiming for a share of entry level hatch which their dealerships can't support.

I hope Nissan does not goof up this opportunity with after sales and support now. This can sell if nissan offers us service assurance along with the price advantage.

I also had a look at their website. 360 view of interior/exterior for all the colour combination as well as the trims(XL,XV etc) for full visualisation is very neat. Not sure if other makers provide(barring say Maruti which offers online configurator).

I finally see "intent" by Nissan management. Please don't ruin this opportunity

Last edited by rajshenoy : 12th November 2020 at 16:52.
rajshenoy is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 12th November 2020, 17:26   #284
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by longhorn View Post
It's not that they don't know how to do it, its just that they decided not to, because Indian lives don't matter and the Indian public and the clowns that govern this country couldn't care less.
True, I completely agree to your point, unless the government takes mature decision to implement higher safety regulations than the extra-ordinary sub-4 meter rules

But from what your point, if Duster would've added extra airbags, will it sells better? No. Not only the government, but the majority of the buyers are more interested in an air purifier/sunroof than safety.

Replace the ADAS safety systems from the Magnite and put a sunroof to it? It will get more attention

Quote:
Originally Posted by JithinR View Post
No offense. But platforms like these built for developing countries are almost always structurally compromised simply because our successive governments have not put in place rules and regulations to ensure passenger safety and of course our general public doesn't much care about it.
This is where my slight hope lies, this platform was not developed for India, but for the entire globe including EU. US, PRC & JPN. Considering their current condition(Nissan isn't doing great), they can't spend too much of CAPEX on redesigning something for India since again it is a do or die game for NMIPL.

Again as TBHPian, unless there is xNCAP report, the car is unknown safety standard.

Most of the times, these OEMs will send their vehicle for NCAP at the beginning of launch only if they are so confident that a min of 4 or 5 stars is expected, otherwise as the Koreans did, they will wait for the market to accept and then spend on the testing.
starke is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 12th November 2020, 19:16   #285
Distinguished - BHPian

Nissan Magnite Likely To Be Launched On November 26:

Link
volkman10 is offline   (11) Thanks

Most Viewed