Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 16th November 2020, 11:43   #316
BHPian

re: Nissan Magnite Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolboy007 View Post
cvt poses no issue in the hilly terrain. I took my Baleno cvt to Manali/Rohtang last month and did not face
I respectfully disagree with you I had issues with the old City CVT and my cousin has issues with his Yaris CVT. We extensively used the cars for Shimla/Theog and we had similar issues of slipping and overheating.

Do you know what happens when you are climbing a steep mud road and the powertrain starts slipping?
ajaiD is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th November 2020, 12:09   #317
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajaiD View Post
I respectfully disagree with you I had issues with the old City CVT and my cousin has issues with his Yaris CVT.
No offence taken, depends on the car and every one's driving style. I drove my car all the way to Manali Rohtang, encountered multiple steep ascents but never faced any issues in climbing up. I had to use the L mode only a couple of times.
Had taken my car to Dalhousie also, am a Himachali and have over 10 years of driving experience so it is not like i wont know when some thing is wrong with the transmission.
Cvt is not meant for enthusiastic driving, do not know about City or Yaris but i can guarantee that Baleno cvt would not be facing any issue all the way till Rohtang, car's overheating in today's times is unheard of.
What needs to be seen is how Nissan tunes the cvt but generalising that all cvt cars would slip and overheat in hills is some thing i would respectfully disagree to.

Last edited by coolboy007 : 16th November 2020 at 12:21.
coolboy007 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 16th November 2020, 12:30   #318
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinod_nair View Post
Please don't go overboard with this vintage CVT, it doesn't even have an 'S' and manual mode.

The CVT used here could be as old or older than the TC 4 speed used by Maruti from Esteem era, in their present days cars.
I will be happy to know from you the fact lying behind the vintage CVT perception towards the Magnite CVT. Nissan has been cursed with defective CVT in the US market which literally impacted their huge dominance in the market. Learning from these, they now offer a stable and better CVTs(You could test drive the new Kicks/Duster 1.3T CVT).

And from few media leaks, magnite will be offering a L mode in their xtronic CVT systems.
starke is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th November 2020, 14:53   #319
BHPian

I beleive the CVT that is used in Nissan Magnite is the same unit used in Maruti Baleno. It is the JATCO CVT7 (JF015E).

https://www.marklines.com/en/report_all/wsw0012_201408

Read how it performs in real world here.

https://www.autocarindia.com/car-com...parison-409712

Last edited by Godzilla : 16th November 2020 at 14:56.
Godzilla is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th November 2020, 20:24   #320
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harpreetsubhi View Post
Can it be big issue when driving on the hills and as I read CVT does not give a very enthusiastic response? Though Nissan and City are using this technology since the start, but initial response from the CVT is pretty lull. Is this just a fear without any basis?
In Magnite, Nissan is using XTRONIC CVT which is newer technology over conventional CVT.
As per their claim, they have improved the electronic control system and the hydraulic system components. Apart from it, inclusion of a high-performance ATF (Automatic Transmission Fluid) enhances response and stability which is resulting 30% faster shifts ratios than the previous version.

With this, Nissan's XTRONIC CVT technology provides instantaneous response to the driver's intention, in addition to a natural feeling of powerful acceleration.

Name:  f4c4d80fb9a41e.gif
Views: 5615
Size:  13.9 KB

Two cents from my own experience. I had driven Nissan Altima(rented) in the hilly terrain for a weekend trip during my stay in USA. Never I had to go to L mode. Even if you face any issue in uphill climbing with fully loaded Magnite, the L mode will be enough to give you peace of mind.
Deadpool is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 17th November 2020, 09:53   #321
Distinguished - BHPian

Nissan Magnite’s Media Drive have started. The car can be spotted in blue in the distance.

Nissan Magnite Review-4d140c6342b04345942087cfe0573017.jpeg

As seen here according to this auto journalist from Autocar India.

Last edited by CEF_Beasts : 17th November 2020 at 09:55.
CEF_Beasts is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 17th November 2020, 10:30   #322
BHPian

Yes media drives are underway and we soon may get video reviews once the embargo is lifted.

Source: https://www.instagram.com/p/CHrV7yxA...=1pqae5zx4uck8
Attached Thumbnails
Nissan Magnite Review-1605589150904.jpg  

Nissan Magnite Review-1605589164767.jpg  

ATRONIX is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 17th November 2020, 10:52   #323
BHPian

The embargo on reviews of Nissan Magnite lifts on 20th November. At least according to this journalist, Hormazd Sorabjee, on Instagram. Take a look at the caption of the Instagram image in the screenshot below. We have to wait for three more days to get a clearer picture of the Magnite.

Nissan Magnite Review-screenshot_20201117104654.jpg
AbidIqbalShaik is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 18th November 2020, 12:33   #324
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolboy007 View Post
Cvt is not meant for enthusiastic driving, do not know about City or Yaris but i can guarantee that Baleno cvt would not be facing any issue all the way till Rohtang, car's overheating in today's times is unheard of.
What needs to be seen is how Nissan tunes the cvt but generalising that all cvt cars would slip and overheat in hills is some thing i would respectfully disagree to.
Car does not overheat the gearbox does. Also the slipping is due to the belt in the gearbox due to which the whole car jitters. These issue came with age and were not pre-existing. Honda showroom "Bypass" had tried to fix the gearbox twice with a new belt among other bits but it lasted me two-three months.

The whining sound from the gearbox returned and soon after other same old issues. On top of this I was advised not to park the car in open so as to avoid snow collection on the car but that was never a possibility for me since in winters the car gets parked by the road side.
Old 18th November 2020, 12:42   #325
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CEF_Beasts View Post
Nissan Magnite’s Media Drive have started. The car can be spotted in blue in the distance.
As seen here according to this auto journalist from Autocar India.
So this person could have held up the camera near windshield and clicked a way better photo but instead he chose to show the steering wheel of Land Rover that too with a filter applied on top of it. The Magnite appearing smaller than the magnet.

Even auto journalists do this? Darn! This reminds me of the meme where a person comments on someone's photo as "Dude I don't want to constantly see pics of your hand on the steering wheel"
RavSam is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 18th November 2020, 12:47   #326
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavSam View Post
So this person could have held up the camera near windshield and clicked a way better photo but instead he chose to show the steering wheel of Land Rover that too with a filter applied on top of it. The Magnite appearing smaller than the magnet.

Even auto journalists do this? Darn! This reminds me of the meme where a person comments on someone's photo as "Dude I don't want to constantly see pics of your hand on the steering wheel"
He had got the Land Rover Discovery Sport test car (maybe long-termer) the same day, hence the excitement I guess!

He didn’t want to reveal the car he was going to drive (Magnite) hence chose to focus on the steering wheel . But you expect car enthusiasts to have keen eyes and it can be seen in the distance!
CEF_Beasts is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 19th November 2020, 00:38   #327
BHPian

Looks like they have started the media drive and review is about to come by 20th. Few shots from social media sitesNissan Magnite Review-fb_img_1605726321757.jpg

Nissan Magnite Review-fb_img_1605726021505.jpg

Nissan Magnite Review-fb_img_1605725983636.jpg

Nissan Magnite Review-fb_img_1605725980331.jpg

Nissan Magnite Review-fb_img_1605725721513.jpg
starke is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 19th November 2020, 12:26   #328
BHPian

Saw magnite in Flesh on 17 November while on a Ride to Neemrana Fort, got it confirmed by some people that there was a launch event there.

The car looks really sharp and good.

One thing to say is that it seems smaller than an ecosport, more of a slightly bigger hatchback than a compact SUV.

Attaching two pictures I was able to snap.
Nissan Magnite Review-img_20201117_100716.jpg

Nissan Magnite Review-img_20201117_101933.jpg
lancia_fanboy is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th November 2020, 12:40   #329
BHPian

While all these new car designs look cool, but I see that the bumper is now disappearing completely! It was getting thinner and thinner and now it's gone.

Here in the Magnite even on a slight fender bender this is sure to damage the grille and cost more.

A little bit of protruding design which is not a part of the grille would be so much pocket friendly.
RavSam is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th November 2020, 13:01   #330
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCEite View Post
Some interior shots. Notice the weird position of the push button start stop.
The centre console is a lift off from the Renault Triber parts bin, and slightly redesigned for the Magnite. The Gear Lever, Handbrake, Cup Holders and Start-Stop button positions are the same as in the Triber. The cooled rear glove box of the Triber has been replaced with Rear AC Vents and the base of the Arm Rest. Likewise the parcel tray above the Start-Stop Button incorporates a Wireless Charger in the Magnite, while it is just a shelf in the Triber. Even the Tail Lamp design is an improved and futuristic version of the Triber's tail lamps.

Being a Triber owner myself, I just love what the Magnite looks like inside and out. Maybe I can swap my tail lamps from the ones of the Magnite some time next year, as a 2nd birthday gift for my car.
AdityaDeane is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed