Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Old 23rd November 2020, 18:25   #436
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harpreetsubhi View Post
I have a basic question, why are the companies mating 3 cylinder petrol engine with Turbo options? Is it not possible to add Turbo for 4 cylinder engines?
It's more of a cost saving measure nowadays, especially in the sub-4 metre category. Renault Duster & Nissan Kicks do come with 4-cylinder Turbo petrol engines but those are above 4-metres in length and a segment above. Tata used to offer 4-cylinder Turbo petrol engines in the Zest & Bolt but chose to develop a 3-cyl unit later on for the Nexon.
ATRONIX is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2020, 19:17   #437
BHPian

Default Re: Nissan Magnite Review

Thumbs up to Nissan for bringing such a cohesive and inoffensive design to the market.

I've gone through numerous videos of the Magnite and it appears to be a livable product (adequate, in other words) in most aspects. Renault Triber was based on a similar formula but its lousy powertrain was a deal-breaker. This one seems to tick a majority of boxes in an informed buyer's checklist apart from safety (although it's too early to say).

It will be a worthy contender if Nissan can price the top-end CVT in Tata Nexon XMA territory (~8.5 lakh ex-showroom). Anything more than that and no buyer would be willing to settle for a "livable" product. Most cars in this segment offer one or the other USP and are already successful in the market. Nissan Magnite is going nowhere if expected upper price of 9/9.5 lakh ex- showroom turns out to be true.

Last edited by self_driven : 23rd November 2020 at 19:24.
self_driven is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2020, 19:43   #438
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard View Post
This doesn't align too well with the pretty good review from Overdrive. There they have specifically mentioned that the car has a pronounced and unsettling nose-dive on braking. Car loses stability especially if not fully loaded & doesn't stop in a straight line. Whats worse - there is a nose-dive skewed towards the right of the car - i.e. towards on-coming traffic the way I see it.

I really hope these problems don't stay as standard in all Magnites sold.

Below.
(P.S. - ODMag - if you are reading this - I like the way Rohit Paradkar covers reviews. His presentation & details are good. His persona is also very friendly on the screen. Just please fix the opening narrations in your reviews. They tend to be rather lame. Just a chain of some lines with references of no significance & adjectives that just don't fit the context.)

These so called experts like Rohit convieniently seems NOT to notice important safety features that are standard on Nissan such as ESP, Traction control, Hillhold assist. There are only a few cars under 10 lakhs to offer these life saving features.

It feels to me that this is an intentional marketing material from Kia and Hyundai group that is carefully penned. I guess he was told to keep repeating the word low cost, add words like squeaky suspension and unnerving to fear monger the audience about dynamics and reliability and he also compares it with e-spresso and Ignis? IMHO this is pure agmark BS.

Last edited by Godzilla : 23rd November 2020 at 20:13.
Godzilla is offline   (19) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2020, 20:01   #439
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godzilla View Post
It looks to me that this is an intentional marketing material from Kia and Hyundai. I guess he was told to keep repeating the word low cost and fear monger the audience about dynamics, reliability and compare with espresso and Ignis. IMHO this is pure agmark BS.
Completely agree on this, because most of the reviewers are so biased when it came to this particular vehicle. Either they didn't get paid well from Nissan India or got paid enough from the competitors. Easily, none talked about electronics safety features Magnite is offering, but all repeatedly buff about cheap especially the recent Skoda-Twitter fame vlogger's review was the worst, apart from his rogue driving, he kept saying Magnite failed to provide features what its rivals couldn't in this price segment without even naming one single feature. He ended the video by saying Nissan disappointed on Magnite

Hope Nissan do the GNCAP for this vehicle and hit right at the Koreans and MSIL's dominance.
starke is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2020, 20:49   #440
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by starke View Post
Completely agree on this, because most of the reviewers are so biased when it came to this particular vehicle. Either they didn't get paid well from Nissan India or got paid enough from the competitors. Easily, none talked about electronics safety features Magnite is offering, but all repeatedly buff about cheap especially the recent Skoda-Twitter fame vlogger's review was the worst, apart from his rogue driving, he kept saying Magnite failed to provide features what its rivals couldn't in this price segment without even naming one single feature. He ended the video by saying Nissan disappointed on Magnite

Hope Nissan do the GNCAP for this vehicle and hit right at the Koreans and MSIL's dominance.
I do feel the same, however I may be wrong. He is either a fan boy or a paid jouralist, I find it difficult to believe he is Neutral by viewing this piece of journalism below.

Watching his Kia Sonet review, it is possible to write a quick 101 guidelines for penning a paid review.

Convert all negatives into something that can be aspirational

Trash ride quality: "The taut suspension of this platform certainly helps the sporty intentions by giving it a good body control”.
Poor brakes: The brake feel is spongy, but it is predictable nonetheless.

Use words such as fun to drive, Fancy features, sophisticated, 'I mean I love it', Keeps repeating premium, Looks butch, SUVish.

Last edited by Godzilla : 23rd November 2020 at 20:55.
Godzilla is offline   (22) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2020, 21:54   #441
BHPian

Quote:
.... he also compares it with e-spresso and Ignis? IMHO this is pure agmark BS.
True, a few comments in the OD review are actually to confuse people who are looking forward to buy this. Like "sub-4 metre (pseudo) SUVs do not have to worry as Magnite will not be a competition for them". "People who would otherwise upgrade to a premium hatchback or compact sedan from cars like S-Presso will consider this". The most damaging comment according to me was "This is more like a Datsun, not a Nissan" (as we have a Datsun GO in our family), even though the statement is sort of correct.

I am planning to buy an automatic vehicle which is not an AMT, which is not a sedan/hatchback within a budget of 12.5 L. A crossover/ sub 4 metre SUV is what I am looking for. I tried hard, but failed miserably in making wifey drive the S-cross manual we own now. Now a days she is the one who needs a car and keeping 2 cars is not practical - economically and to park.

The first car came to my mind was S-Cross Auto, since the one I currently drive is a S-Cross (1.3 Zeta). S-Cross Delta Auto is the variant which fits within my budget, but Brezza Zxi would me more practical considering the features I get for the money, though it is not as spacious as S-cross (we all are below 5'6", so we can live with that). Also it's a 4 speed torque converter and it does not look good on paper even though it is not so bad to drive.

Then I started looking for other options and I almost finalized on Sonet HTK+ Diesel Auto. Having a diesel auto option was the biggest plus point. The moment I sat on the back seat of Sonet, I dropped the idea of buying it. I know I cannot compare a sub 4 metre vehicle with S-Cross, but it was far behind my expectations. Other things that influenced the decision of rejecting Sonet are lack of features such as Hill Hold Assist, rear windshield wiper, Alloy wheels etc.

I never considered Magnite because of its dimensions; but once I was left with no cars to my liking, I considered THE MAGNITE. It actually met all my expectations though I am still not ok with the width, height and weight.
It offers all necessary feature like good ground clearance, has rear wiper, Hill assist, keyless entry, alloy wheels to name a few.

It does lack some features like Sun roof - which I am sure I am never going to use after initial days of flaunting it, Auto headlamps/wipers - which I am not keen on; but most important thing is the price, if the leaked prices are correct I will have some savings after buying the XV Premium - to feed her.

Most of the reviewers mentioned that space is better or at least on par with most of the C-SUVs and from the pictures and videos it looks like having adequate space and thigh support.
I have booked Magnite last week, however I am waiting to see the car physically and test drive it before taking a final decision. Also need to sell my darling S-Cross which is actually a difficult decision.
dudevarkey is online now   (9) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2020, 22:34   #442
BHPian

Quote:
I do feel the same, however I may be wrong. He is either a fan boy or a paid jouralist, I find it difficult to believe he is Neutral by viewing this piece of journalism below.

Funny thing are the comments on the video, calling out the reviewers for the biased reviews.

A VFM (hopefully) offering from Nissan to keep overpriced Koreans in check. Lets see how the market reacts to this.

My only gripe is that they didnt go for the true Nissan grill but the Datsun one. Can someone photoshop to just to get a comparison.(maybe the datsun in is better)
SideView is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2020, 22:45   #443
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dudevarkey View Post
It offers all necessary feature like good ground clearance, has rear wiper, Hill assist, keyless entry, alloy wheels to name a few.
Oh! Missed a couple of features which was not there in the Sonet variant I was considering and became an advantage for Magnite.

Features sorted on weightage
60:40 folding rear seats, adjustable rear head rests, almost flat floor, 360 degree camera (which is icing on the cake considering the fact that a driver without much experience will be using it more often) and all LEDs (at least in front).

I must say the biggest turn off was rear seat of Sonet, lets see how Magnet scores here
dudevarkey is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2020, 22:52   #444
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SideView View Post
My only gripe is that they didnt go for the true Nissan grill but the Datsun one. Can someone photoshop to just to get a comparison.(maybe the datsun in is better)
Yes, on the first glance I felt "Eh.. another Datsun". But for me Magnite looks better than its Kwid faced twin, Kiger.

Last edited by dudevarkey : 23rd November 2020 at 22:53. Reason: wrote Triber instead of Kiger
dudevarkey is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 24th November 2020, 00:03   #445
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SideView View Post
Here's one with Nissan grille and a bonus Nismo concept render.

Source: Instagram
Nissan Magnite Review-img_20201123_234908.jpg

Nissan Magnite Review-img_20201123_234938.jpg
ATRONIX is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 24th November 2020, 00:36   #446
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATRONIX View Post
Here's one with Nissan grille and a bonus Nismo concept render.

Source: Instagram
Attachment 2084505

Attachment 2084506
Datsun Grill definitely appeals to me. I feel it suits the Magnite better than V grill.

Please note the bigger the grill better the macho appeal. Example BMW and Rolls Royce. The V shaped Nissan grill generally makes cars looks puny IMO. I wish Nissan India adopts Datsun grille for all future products.
Old 24th November 2020, 00:39   #447
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATRONIX View Post

+Chrome delete treatment
+Red badging for Nissan logos
+Slightly chunkier tyres
+A remap and some performance upgrades?

=A proper crossover sleeper
Old 24th November 2020, 11:46   #448
BHPian

Quote:
It feels to me that this is an intentional marketing material from Kia and Hyundai group that is carefully penned. I guess he was told to keep repeating the word low cost, add words like squeaky suspension and unnerving to fear monger the audience about dynamics and reliability and he also compares it with e-spresso and Ignis? IMHO this is pure agmark BS.
What's the good news is that it won't matter a lot even if Kia pay reviewers to slander the Magnite and other competitor and praise theirs, because Kia can't buy GlobalNCAP and they've already done some damage on the Kia image with the recent crash test failure ( which is what I would prefer to call it ). This is fantastic news as far as I'm concerned, all that money spent to buy mainstream yt reviewers to build some sort of posh image gone to the drain in just one day

They can try all they want but they can't bury that 2 star score ( which is what it actually is, to be honest, rather than 3 star ).

Last edited by SaiSW : 24th November 2020 at 11:49.
SaiSW is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 24th November 2020, 12:39   #449
BHPian

As per the bbsr dealer only the Turbo Manual version is getting produced and will be available for sale initially. The CVT version production will commence in the month of January and the delivery will be scheduled accordingly. No concrete words on NA engine either.
Old 24th November 2020, 16:29   #450
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaiSW View Post
What's the good news is that it won't matter a lot even if Kia pay reviewers to slander the Magnite and other competitor and praise theirs, because Kia can't buy GlobalNCAP and they've already done some damage on the Kia image with the recent crash test failure ( which is what I would prefer to call it ). This is fantastic news as far as I'm concerned, all that money spent to buy mainstream yt reviewers to build some sort of posh image gone to the drain in just one day

They can try all they want but they can't bury that 2 star score ( which is what it actually is, to be honest, rather than 3 star ).
We haven't seen magnite ncap either. And to be honest after duster and those Datsun ratings I don't have any high hopes. But if they prove me wrong they would receive my checque.

Any insider heard about 6 airbag version in near future??
Gurgaon_lyon is online now   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed