Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 1st January 2021, 07:11   #871
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Nissan Magnite Review

We need to ensure its India spec Magnite before celebrating this crash test rating.

As far as I remember, even Ciaz scored 4 stars in ASEAN NCAP. If it's the same spec as Indian Ciaz is anyone's guess
PrasannaDhana is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 1st January 2021, 09:09   #872
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrasannaDhana View Post
We need to ensure its India spec Magnite before celebrating this crash test rating.

As far as I remember, even Ciaz scored 4 stars in ASEAN NCAP. If it's the same spec as Indian Ciaz is anyone's guess
Nissan has produced Magnite only for India at the moment. So there is certainly doubt in the authenticity. This only goes to show the engineering prowess of Nissan to keep high standards at a tight cost under a low volume base. Wake up call to Korean gizmo loving masses!
ganadrive16 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st January 2021, 09:41   #873
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm2.0 View Post
Wow what a great news to begin the new year with. That'll be a tight slap on the faces of Hyundai, Kia and Maruti if it's the India made Magnite for Indian markets.
Also wishing all the members a very Happy New year.
As of now, now, no info on if the test is done on magnite for Indian market. As of today, only GNCAP test india specific model. For example, the current gen Swift got 4 star in ASEAN Ncap. The specs and kerb weight etc are similar to indian swift, but indian swift got 2 stars by GNCAP. So trust only GNCA
P for India specific model rating.

Last edited by sreejithkk : 1st January 2021 at 09:44. Reason: Updated
sreejithkk is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st January 2021, 10:12   #874
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganadrive16 View Post
Nissan has produced Magnite only for India at the moment. So there is certainly doubt in the authenticity. This only goes to show the engineering prowess of Nissan to keep high standards at a tight cost under a low volume base. Wake up call to Korean gizmo loving masses!
Well, Nissan Magnite Indonesia

Quoting the relevant portion:
Quote:
Today, Nissan Indonesia unveils the all-new Nissan Magnite compact SUV, combining powerful performance, a striking exterior and advanced technologies to help Indonesian customers tackle any urban environment.
While it would be amazing if this rating is for the Indian version, I sincerely hope Nissan doesn't try to pull what Renault did with the Captur Renault Captur Misleading add (The Renault Captur's new ad is ethically wrong & deceiving! Blatantly fooling the Indian customer)

Last edited by JithinR : 1st January 2021 at 10:37.
JithinR is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 1st January 2021, 10:14   #875
Senior - BHPian

Its good to hear that the Magnite received four stars by ASEAN NCAP.

But, we are not sure whether its the same spec that the average Indian buyer gets.

Nissan is known to offer differently specced versions of the same car (see video below), so I would still wait for Global NCAP to test one.

ashutoshb is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 1st January 2021, 11:02   #876
BHPian

Happy New Year dear fellow BHPians!

I took a test drive of the Turbo Manual yesterday.
Few pointers:

Stunning Looks - Good proportions, the car looks like it was designed to be a sub 4m car right from the start, not a chop job. Special mention to the XV premium with all LED headlamps, looks very sharp.

Space - When you see the car from outside you wouldn't think it will be very spacious, but it is truly a pleasant surprise once you step in. Three of us sat in the back seat and we found it comfortable & spacious. (In terms of back seat, the XUV300 is still top of the class). The boot too has a good shape and capacity.

Quality- The interior quality is definitely & noticeably better than the Brezza though not as good as the Koreans. Padded doors, neatly designed dash, everything felt good to touch. Chunky steering wheel is nice to hold. Lambo-esque AC vents look and feel special.

Safety & Build - We all are waiting for the NCAP results of the India spec car so no comments on that front. But the doors shut with a good thud. Point to note - doors are not light, neither are they heavy. Same story with the bonnet. Minimal flexing on body panels. So initial impressions are pretty good.

Engine & gearbox - Punchy mid range is a joy to drive. Even below the power bracket, it doesn't feel sluggish by any means. Car feels stable and gearshifts are engaging. Go for the turbo variant - highly recommended.

Negatives:
1. Vibrations. At idle there are Vibrations on the floor & some felt on the pedals. Once on the move these vibrations disappear. No vibes felt on the gear lever. Could be a deal breaker for some users.

2. Dealer reach - this is self explanatory. For a service interval of 10k kms or 1 year driving far once a year shouldn't deter someone from buying a capable car. Not a deal breaker.

Overall it is an impressive package at a reasonable price.
Good job Nissan.
John316_WRC is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 1st January 2021, 12:48   #877
BHPian

My friend brougth over a Magnite CVT that he was test driving. One word its a “looker”. He was happy with it, mentioned he might book.

Doesnt look small, has it proportions: not too small nor too large either. ( i felt it looks larger than Venue)

The bonnet has a nice heft to it, even heavier than my Terrano.(as I wanted to see how the engine bay looked like)

Couple of pics that I took:

Nissan Magnite Review-42180b7ce03a4c3186b6d3cf8eee64db.jpeg

Nissan Magnite Review-279da624914147d2a5967dd989ae901b.jpeg
SideView is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 1st January 2021, 13:00   #878
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SideView View Post
Doesnt look small, has it proportions: not too small nor too large either. ( i felt it looks larger than Venue)
The front looks decent and all, but the sides....those quirky plastic claddings over the wheel arches and those alloys just do not gel well together.
Old 1st January 2021, 13:08   #879
KPR
BANNED

For my eyes Venue, Sonet & Magnite looks like how a sub4m pseudo SUV look like. In that front Ecosport has masked the 4m length well and tick the look from various angles. Just my opinion and I don't prefer sub 4m SUV.

Last edited by KPR : 1st January 2021 at 13:09.
KPR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st January 2021, 13:36   #880
Senior - BHPian

Well done Nissan ! This is great news, Nissan & Renault Kiger will be giving serious competition to all the other sub compacts SUV's. On another note I heard from a dealer that Magnite has now over 25K bookings and wait time may go up further.
tj123 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st January 2021, 13:57   #881
BHPian

Let us welcome this encouraging news ! Nissan Magnite has scored a respectable 4 star in ASEAN NCAP.

https://www.rushlane.com/amp/nissan-...kSavxOnpBzH0lQ

It's really difficult to ignore Nissan Magnite in CSUV segment.

Now so called premium cars or "Tablets on Wheels" with their dismal safety scores look pale in front of Magnite.

Kudos to Nissan!

Last edited by Subby : 1st January 2021 at 14:11.
Subby is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 1st January 2021, 14:02   #882
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby View Post
Let us welcome this encouraging news ! Nissan Magnite has scored a respectable 4 star in ASEAN NCAP.

https://www.rushlane.com/amp/nissan-...kSavxOnpBzH0lQ

While variant wise results and confirmation that it was the India spec Nissan Magnite that was actually tested are still awaited, the news itself is great and encouraging considering we have cars costing 4 times Magnite's price scoring barely 3 star ratings.
sarav100 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 1st January 2021, 14:25   #883
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarav100 View Post
While variant wise results and confirmation that it was the India spec Nissan Magnite that was actually tested are still awaited, the news itself is great and encouraging considering we have cars costing 4 times Magnite's price scoring barely 3 star ratings.
"Considering that Nissan is exclusively manufacturing the Magnite in India as of now, and no exports have started, it is highly likely that this is the India-spec Magnite that has been crash tested. It is to be noted that the ASEAN NCAP crash test speeds are comparable to that of the Global NCAP."

From the article quoted. While the variant is unknown, it does look to be India spec Magnite. This is awesome news if it checks out. Build quality becomes the question of personal preference rather than a benchmark for safety, if a "lightly built" car can score well on safety.
RoadMonkey is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st January 2021, 14:41   #884
BHPian

Sorry I forgot to add this pic in my earlier post. Car looks chunky and well proportioned. This is my favourite angle.
Silver suits the Magnite a lot!
Attached Thumbnails
Nissan Magnite Review-20201231_140022.jpg  

John316_WRC is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 1st January 2021, 15:05   #885
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHelix0202 View Post
The front looks decent and all, but the sides....those quirky plastic claddings over the wheel arches and those alloys just do not gel well together.
Maybe it is the pics (i dont have an issue, seeing with pics either), but I did not find any issue when seeing it in Flesh.

Everyone has his own taste I guess.

Most Viewed