Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 4th July 2021, 18:49   #1201
BHPian

Re: Nissan Magnite Review

As a Magnite Turbo XL owner, I am really satisfied with the performance of the car. The turbo petrol engine is very peppy as well as efficient too. The car is very comfortable and has oodles of space. Magnite has tremendous road presence and turns eyes wherever I take it. So much so, that my neighbour, who owns a Mercedes Benz GLC among other cars, regularly peeps into my Magnite.
swiftvxi06 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th July 2021, 12:42   #1202
Distinguished - BHPian

I'm advising my brother-in-law as he prepares to sell his 2008 Swift Vxi (bought second-hand in 2011). He needs a powerful car since his main usage is occasional and on the highways. He needs a car that can seat 4 definitely, but he'll value a proper 5 seater (not sure of the Magnite's 5th passenger's comfort/chagrin).

He was of the impression that the Magnite is cheap at 6.5 lacs and good and I had to remind him that the Turbo (which suits his performance requirements) isn't cheap. And I did tell him that Nissan's future in India is a bit iffy, even though the Magnite has transformed the company's fortunes here...

Any thoughts from our members here?
locusjag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th July 2021, 14:32   #1203
Senior - BHPian

over 15,000 units of the New Nissan Magnite have been delivered since launch. Almost 93% of Nissan India's volumes came from Magnite in June 2021

Nissan Magnite Review-20210705_142805.jpg

On the strength of the New Nissan Magnite, Nissan Motor India announced a total wholesale of 3,503 vehicles in June 2021 and registered a growth of 508% in June 2021 against 576 units in June 2020.

Source
Venkatesh is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th July 2021, 16:18   #1204
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by locusjag View Post
I'm advising my brother-in-law as he prepares to sell his 2008 Swift Vxi (bought second-hand in 2011) ... I had to remind him that the Turbo (which suits his performance requirements) isn't cheap. And I did tell him that Nissan's future in India is a bit iffy, even though the Magnite has transformed the company's fortunes here...

Any thoughts from our members here?
Having looked at nearly every vehicle in the 5-13L range, I am pretty certain about this: if you look only at the vehicle and what it offers (and forget whose it is), each of the Magnite trims is VFM.

As someone who bought the barebones Ritz LXi for 5L OTR in 2011, if I simply wanted a like-for-like replacement, the base-variant of Magnite isn't too bad a choice. I might pay 1.5L more in 2021, but I am getting a BS6 engine, decent interiors (for the price point) and a brand new vehicle.

If I were looking for an SUVish automatic, the CVT trims are excellent VFMs too. Their competitions are all priced above them for the same set of features. If you look at build quality, with the Seltos (and by guilt of association if nothing else, the Sonet) now looking like a , the Magnite seems to be .

All that aside, however, your point about Nissan's long-term commitment to their sales future in the country is definitely worth being worried about. A poor sales network cannot stand up to the service networks of Tata, Maruti and Mahindra that dot most highways or major urban centers. They've averaged just about 3.5K units per month, which, given the hype the Magnite commanded, is too low to keep their dealers excited. My SA told me they are expecting no CVT deliveries at all this month - for a - and while I do think he was just fobbing me off, a delay of 6+ months is enough to drive most people to other models. I can already hear the SA's oh-great-another-delayed-delivery sigh in his voice. Magnite has neither the cult following of Thar nor the guarantee of Ford to keep its customers waiting interminably.

What if Nissan pulls the plug and does a Fiat/Chevrolet? I suspect Renault will pick up the pieces. Cosmetics aside, the vehicles are the same under the hood, and the plant in Chennai is unlikely to shut shop (unless there is serious Union trouble), so spares won't be an issue. There is no downside there as far as I can see.

TLDR: Magnite is a great vehicle with an excellent value proposition, and the dependence on the branded network is not insurmountably high. But getting a vehicle before you lose interest, that's the biggest challenge with this vehicle.
ChevyTeddy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th July 2021, 17:40   #1205
BHPian

As per my dealership SA, Nissan India has increased supply of Magnite since June end. It is expected to increase even further in upcoming months. An average of 100+ cars will be supplied to all dealerships in July. Hopefully the waiting period will reduce considerably. As per my source in Nissan India, left hand drive Magnite cars are currently being developed. It will be launched in probably Eastern European & Latin American markets.
Old 9th July 2021, 19:53   #1206
BHPian

Has anyone here cancelled their booking for Nissan Magnite in Bengaluru (I guess we would all be dealing with just one dealer - Surya Nissan).

I am planning to cancel my Magnite booking (it now shows the Delivery Date as Dec and I am not interested in the car anymore) and would appreciate any heads up on any underhanded tactics the SA might try to delay the cancellation or charge a cancellation fee (I had specifically asked Nissan earlier on Twitter if there were cancellation charges and they had assured me that none existed).
Old 11th July 2021, 06:28   #1207
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JithinR View Post

I am planning to cancel my Magnite booking (it now shows the Delivery Date as Dec and I am not interested in the car anymore)
I went down to the showroom yesterday to understand what's the likelihood of getting the vehicle before the date published online (mine's November). Looks like Nissan is still struggling to meet the demand or ramp up its production, given the wait times officially posted (see attachment).

Apparently, each dealer in Bengaluru is expecting a hundred cars or so next month ('promised by Nissan'), but there's no clarity on what the trim spread will be. Apparently, even the staff are frustrated because they have no concrete answers, and my own SA has put in his papers for this reason. Have decided to wait it out because there is no other vfm offering at this price range (which, I suppose, is what Nissan is betting on). In the meantime, you have the TUV/Neo and the Hornbill launching by then... Something to check out during the wait.
Attached Thumbnails
Nissan Magnite Review-img_20210710_131433671.jpg  

ChevyTeddy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th July 2021, 13:09   #1208
BHPian

Not sure if those waiting period mentioned above on the board are even realistic. We booked a Nissan Magnite XV Premium Turbo MT on March 6 and the SA told us that the waiting period will be three months but the TrackMyCar page shows us the estimated delivery date "TO BE CONFIRMED." Looking at those timelines on that board, the estimated delivery should be August but that doesn't even seem to be the case and I'm not sure if the long waiting period has anything to do with the Vivid Blue and Storm White color that we booked.
Old 11th July 2021, 13:21   #1209
BHPian

I talked to the showroom (surya in Bangalore) last week and was told about a month more before they will know delivery dates for sure. I don't think they have any idea right now.
Old 13th July 2021, 16:45   #1210
BHPian

Took a long TD of the CVT model today on a mix of good and bad roads. Here are some of the observations:

1. Steering return issue: some of the reviewers on Youtube had complained of the steering not returning to zero position after a turn. I tested this on multiple turns and there was no such issue. Perhaps it is due to the linear acceleration of the CVT - there is enough time for the steering column to straighten out on its own.

2. The ride quality is not smooth. With the suspension on the stiffer side, there is no body roll - but you will also always know what the terrain under you is like. Between the NVH and the vibration from the ride, it reduces the plush feeling the cabin creates.

Is it because the default PSI setting for the tires (the TPMS said the tires all had the right pressure) is too high? Will better tires help? Can anyone who's swapped stock tires on the Magnite shed some light on this?
ChevyTeddy is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th July 2021, 11:09   #1211
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevyTeddy View Post
I went down to the showroom yesterday to understand what's the likelihood of getting the vehicle before the date published online (mine's November). Looks like Nissan is still struggling to meet the demand or ramp up its production, given the wait times officially posted (see attachment).
Thank you for the update. As far as I remember we do get occasional press releases which state that Nissan has upped its production capacity Nissan ups shift to manufacture more Magnites.

However, I suspect that most of this increased capacity is going to benefit the export markets Made-in-India Nissan Magnite exports commence.

At the end of the day, it seems the waiting period is about the same as the initial estimate that I was given (4 to 6 months). I have gone ahead and cancelled the booking by sending a mail to Nissan customer car, the CRM and Sales manager for Surya Nissan.

Now the wait begins, I need to see how long these guys hold the booking amount and how many escalations I would need to do before getting my money back.
Old 19th July 2021, 06:10   #1212

I had booked XE variant in mid December and the car is alloted finally....had asked SA to change the variant to XL non turbo which initially didn't agree as it had to be at the old price but obliged later. Now after reading the posts here and unreliability of their service networks, I have decided to cancel the booking. Anyone wants can replace my name at release date prices.
Old 19th July 2021, 10:25   #1213
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JithinR View Post
At the end of the day, it seems the waiting period is about the same as the initial estimate that I was given (4 to 6 months). I have gone ahead and cancelled the booking by sending a mail to Nissan customer car, the CRM and Sales manager for Surya Nissan.
Quote:
Originally Posted by edges View Post
Now after reading the posts here and unreliability of their service networks, I have decided to cancel the booking. Anyone wants can replace my name at release date prices.
Pity such a well placed car is seeing this treatment. I also had to cancel my booking and switch to Kiger CVT. Though its a little costlier and loses some electronic safety features.
The Renault showroom in JP Nagar was swanky and I have been promised delivery in a week.
Old 19th July 2021, 16:08   #1214
BHPian

I recently bought a Kiger CVT & going through intermittent battery drain concerns.
The thread for the same - https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techn...ml#post5104025 (Brand new Renault Kiger | Battery dead in 2 days | Battery drain problem)

I am posting this here because my father's friend also took delivery of Magnite a few weeks back, and he is also facing issues with his brand new car.
His car is kaput, and the dealer is saying issues with the turbocharger & they want to replace it. The car is brand new & barely used as of now.

Since both cars share the same platform & manufactured at the same plant, I feel there is something terribly wrong with these two cars. I hope these are just one-of-a-case scenario and to date, I haven't come across anyone reporting severe issues with these two models.

Last edited by redbaron91 : 19th July 2021 at 16:18. Reason: punctuations
redbaron91 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th July 2021, 23:33   #1215
BHPian

Review from South African channel on Magnite CVT

Most Viewed