Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd November 2020, 12:22   #166
BHPian

re: Nissan Magnite Review

The feature list and distribution is almost perfect. Nissan is nudging people to get to the higher variants if they want their favourite colors. Only silver, black and brown in XL. I think the Brown, Red, Blue would sell well - and Black may be the black horse here. Magnite looks better in darker shades.

There were a few concerns about build quality. And our own Team-BHP comment confirmed the panel bending with thumb press. The weight of only 1039kg for the Turbo CVT is a real concern here. This is in hatch-back territory. For reference, Jazz CVT is 1035kg. The biggest worry is the NA petrol weight of only 939kg. That means the basic body is very very light. The additional weight in Turbo CVT is entirely from the Engine/Gearbox combination, that may be masking the spec sheet a bit. This is nowhere in the leagues of Nexon / XUV300 (>1300kg), not even close to Venue / Brezza (~1200kg). Not sure how the structural rigidity is, if that is also compromised in terms of HSS percentage. So this is one of the proverbial "cut corners".

Would Nissan have an NCAP rating for this? At least the ASEAN one?

Nissan Magnite Review-capture.png

Last edited by cuboid : 3rd November 2020 at 12:31.
cuboid is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2020, 12:23   #167
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JithinR View Post
Wow! Rear wash and wipe and adjustable rear headrest in all variants. Then i see that the CVT is actually available from the XL variant onwards (though I am not sure why it's mentioned as 5CVT here instead of just CVT against the other variants..probably a small mistake).
The 5CVT is termed as 5 step cvt to mimic the presence of gears. CVT is tend to have infinite gears as there are no actual gears, so Nissan programmed such a way that the belt would stay at a stable 5 point position to mimic the gears. Esp the L mode with low gears.
jeganatu is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2020, 12:25   #168
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeganatu View Post
The 5CVT is termed as 5 step cvt to mimic the presence of gears. CVT is tend to have infinite gears as there are no actual gears, so Nissan programmed such a way that the belt would stay at a stable 5 point position to mimic the gears. Esp the L mode with low gears.
Thanks. But my question was why do the other variants mention just CVT rather than 5CVT?
JithinR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2020, 12:28   #169
BHPian

Looks like a good product. I am happy they are offering 360' camera instead of sunroof. It would be a boon in urban environment.

The interiors will need to be touched in person to get an idea. I am not a fan of the digital cluster. Hope the ride quality is Good like Nissan and Renaults other products.

Overall a nice product and might do well for Nissan.
tazmaan is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2020, 12:31   #170
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks. But my question was why do the other variants mention just CVT rather than 5CVT?
Ahh! Just noticed the mistake, Sure its a typo.
Old 3rd November 2020, 12:49   #171
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComicCharcoal View Post
Looks very promising. If the rumours are true, then this car will under-cut the price in its class.
Two questions,
1. How are Nissan engines in general ? (Long term usability-wise and reliability wise.)
2. How is the after sale services of Nissan?
1. They will run as long as you want them to run (obvious conditions apply).

2. Service quality? They are as good or as bad as any of the others around (barring Toyota).
Nalin1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2020, 12:55   #172
BHPian

One thing always to look forward to in the Nissan/renault cars, is the comfort and toughness over rough roads.. This is something that has impressed me right from the basic kwid (Very good ride quality over bad roads, and nice comfortable seats). Hope that carries over here with the magnite too.
Turrrb0 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2020, 13:05   #173
BHPian

Quote:
I just had a confirmation with Nissan's PR support and they have acknowledged that " 5CVT" should be mentioned for all the variants and the correction is under way.

This clears the confusion.

Last edited by moralfibre : 3rd November 2020 at 13:51. Reason: Typo
jeganatu is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2020, 13:23   #174
S2K
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuboid View Post
There were a few concerns about build quality. And our own Team-BHP comment confirmed the panel bending with thumb press. The weight of only 1039kg for the Turbo CVT is a real concern here. This is in hatch-back territory. For reference, Jazz CVT is 1035kg. The biggest worry is the NA petrol weight of only 939kg. That means the basic body is very very light. The additional weight in Turbo CVT is entirely from the Engine/Gearbox combination, that may be masking the spec sheet a bit. This is nowhere in the leagues of Nexon / XUV300 (>1300kg), not even close to Venue / Brezza (~1200kg). Not sure how the structural rigidity is, if that is also compromised in terms of HSS percentage. So this is one of the proverbial "cut corners".

Attachment 2075798
This is my only gripe with the car. At least the top end with 6 airbags would have made me feel safer.
Also not sure, how sure footed the car will feel at high speeds given the low weight and high ground clearance.
Old 3rd November 2020, 15:07   #175
BHPian

Quote:
The feature list and distribution is almost perfect. Nissan is nudging people to get to the higher variants if they want their favourite colors. Only silver, black and brown in XL. I think the Brown, Red, Blue would sell well - and Black may be the black horse here. Magnite looks better in darker shades.

Attachment 2075798
The top-end petrol automatic variant of the Tata Nexon costs approximately INR 13.5 lakhs on road. And this automatic gearbox is not even a proper automatic box; it is an AMT unit, which is much inferior in terms of feel compared to traditional automatics. As for the Mahindra XUV300, its petrol version doesn't even get an automatic transmission option and its top-end variant still costs 13.3 lakhs.

The top-end petrol automatic variant of the Nissan Magnite, on the other hand, is expected to cost around 11 lakhs on-road (as far as media reports suggest). Plus, you get a proper CVT automatic with this car.

So, Nissan Magnite is around 2.5 lakhs cheaper and also offers better gearbox. And it's not easy for any car manufacturer to achieve that. It will obviously have to cut corners some place or the other. In terms of Nissan Magnite, the brand might have done so by cutting corners on the thickness of metal. And I think it's only fair. You can't have your cake and eat it too, at least in this segment of cars.

If one wants a safer car, they can go with the Mahindra XUV300 or Tata Nexon or likes of them. However, if you want a car that's cheaper by 2.5 lakhs and also offers a better gearbox (along with a similar feature set as costlier cars), get the Nissan Magnite.

If Nissan would have used thicker metal for the Magnite (and thereby offer a heavy and stronger vehicle), it would have had to cut down on features, engine, or gearbox to keep the cost low. And then people would have complained that the Magnite doesn't offer as many features as the competition.

If Nissan would have used thicker metal for the Magnite and also cramped in all the features, the car would have been costlier (similar or most costlier than Mahindra XUV300 and Tata Nexon). And then most people would have said that they don't prefer to buy a Nissan at that price point over Tata, Mahindra, Hyundai, or Kia.

Having a stronger car is always better. But if someone prefers a better gearbox and more features, the Nissan Magnite is the one for them.

However, if one can compromise on gearbox and also willing to spend 2.5 lakhs more, they can look at other options in the market. It all depends on what an individual prefers. I think all these cars (XUV300, Nexon, and Magnite) have their own ups and downs.
AbidIqbalShaik is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2020, 15:18   #176
BHPian

Quote:

Attachment 2075798
Aptly pointed out. Closest is Honda WR-V with 1084-1188 kgs.

Also, Magnite(1572 mm) will be lowest in height amongst the CSUVs and it will be narrower than Ecosport with 1758 mm width.

But, It will have the best turning radius(5 m) which is a boon in city commuting.
Deadpool is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2020, 16:05   #177
BHPian

Would've loved to have 205mm or 215 mm wide wheels. Especially considering lower weight of the car.
Old 3rd November 2020, 18:24   #178
BHPian

Man that website is so beautifully made! I spent a lot of time with the 360° inside and outside interactive view. The color options are limited on the lower trims. A dark British green color would also have looked wonderful on this.

The feature distribution is also great across variants. The ONLY problem is no service center in (not Navi) MUMBAI!
RavSam is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2020, 18:34   #179
Senior - BHPian

A step in the right direction for Nissan, they have made a great car. Now please take the second step and improve dealers/sales/service and watch the Magnite fly off the shelves. The car really looks awesome, I like it better than the Sonet (frankly I keep forgetting the Sonet name).

Good luck to Nissan here, lets hope they make it.
sumeethaldankar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2020, 18:46   #180
BHPian

Regarding discussions on the vehicle weight, is that not the direction in which the country's leading manufacturer is heading. As a ballpark Swift VXI weighs 855kg and Brezza around 1100kg? What will matter more is the pricing and how safe it is structurally. A spacious car priced reasonably will always sound attractive. Would you not buy this car if its priced on par with something like a Swift(which is not exactly cheap by the way).
Arjun Bharadwaj is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks