Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd November 2020, 19:36   #181
Senior - BHPian

re: Nissan Magnite Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuboid View Post
The biggest worry is the NA petrol weight of only 939kg. That means the basic body is very very light.
It is the same with the Triber. And unfortunately, Nissan and Renault are stuck between a rock and a hard place w.r.t build quality. They can only woo the customers with features, create another segment by killer pricing and keep themselves afloat.

If priced along with other CSUV's they (Renault, Nissan) would be written off even before the car hits the streets. Some corners would have to be cut, and it is up to the consumer to aware on where the comprises are made.
jetsetgo08 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2020, 20:45   #182
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JithinR View Post
Even their brochure seems to have no errors as such
I could spot couple of mistakes
a) Cruise control is available only in XV Premium but Cruise control indicator is available in XV as well.
b) Front Armrest available only in XV Premium and Rear Armrest available on all variants except XV Premium(Mistake or Intended?)

Last edited by DImPo : 3rd November 2020 at 20:47.
Old 3rd November 2020, 23:52   #183
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DImPo View Post
I could spot couple of mistakes
a) Cruise control is available only in XV Premium but Cruise control indicator is available in XV as well.
b) Front Armrest available only in XV Premium and Rear Armrest available on all variants except XV Premium(Mistake or Intended?)
A) Could be a possibility of mistake of marking "s" under xv for the indicator. Because the odo TFT start from this XV variant all its features has been marked as "s".

B) Its perfect in the brochure.

Below is text copied and pasted from pdf.

Front Centre Armrest - Dark Grey with Stitch. - - - S

(First 3 variant has "dash" and last has "yes")

Rear Centre Armrest with Mobile Holder - Turbo only S S

(First variant alone has "dash" and second yes only in Turbo, 3rd and 4th "yes" in both turbo and NA)

Last edited by jeganatu : 3rd November 2020 at 23:54.
jeganatu is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th November 2020, 00:40   #184
BHPian

Feature list looks rich, but but Thin sheet, just two airbags. And made for India car (read safety not the top priority) It is Not the car I would want to be caught in accident.
Old 4th November 2020, 08:09   #185
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurgaon_lyon View Post
Feature list looks rich, but but Thin sheet, just two airbags. And made for India car (read safety not the top priority) It is Not the car I would want to be caught in accident.
The safety of the car should be viewed from multiple aspects.
  1. How well the car stops Most Indian cars come with ABS & EBD. However, at this price point most manufactures skip on ESP. ESP is rated as one of the most important safety invention after seat belt. BUT in India no one even talks about it. Kia does not offer ESP on Diesel variants of Seltos selling at 20 Lakh and people happily buy.

2. Dynamics: How does the car handle moose test. This depends on how the manufacturers tune the suspension and steering. Hyundais are known for the soft suspension and light steering with is a death card under emergency manoeveurs. ESP also improves dynamics at high speeds.

Both Braking and Dynamics are critical to avoid an accident. Even when the crash becomes unavoidable good braking and handling will reduce the impact and can be life saving.

Now, crash testing comes next where the car is designed properly to give good crash protection. The weight of the car or the thickness of metal used DOES NOT MATTER . The crashability of a car and the protection it offers depends on how well they have designed it. Even if you have the heaviest of metal sheets such as an ambassador if it is designed poorly the occupants will suffer maximum damage. See how a light car such as smarttwo offers protection

Magnite offers good safety features such as ESP(VDC), traction control and hill assist in many of their variants which is a welcome move considering Most of the cars in the market (sub-10 Lakhs) dont come with ESP.

Last edited by Godzilla : 4th November 2020 at 08:20.
Godzilla is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 4th November 2020, 08:58   #186
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurgaon_lyon View Post
I agree with the airbag deletion, they could've added at least side airbags as an optional with the tech-pack

But the thickness of sheet metal doesn't impact the crashworthiness of the vehicle directly. The crumple zone depends not on the thickness but on the structure (honeycomb etc.). Nissan India offered well built International models here in India and failed to sell due to the impact of MSIL's & HMI's Made for India vehicles.

I really appreciate Nissan India for this daring effort, considering their downfall in the global market as well as India market. Nissan NEXT strategy might be their comeback
starke is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 4th November 2020, 09:46   #187
BHPian

A lot has been discussed to death about sheet metal not amount to actual safety or lack of it. But a thicker sheet metal definitely prevents the minor dents and dings which are so easy to occur during daily use and cause pain to the owner's heart (if he bothers that is) every day and not just during a fender bender.

A lot of new cars these days look new out of the showroom but within a few months end up looking like moon's surface even if not to that extreme extent.

Let's just hope that even though Magnite has less weight it doesn't pick up those dents and dings easily by the use of some way of innovative materials.
RavSam is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th November 2020, 10:44   #188
BHPian

Related to Safety of sub-10 Lakh cars in India.

Below are the best.

1. Tata Nexon
2. Ford Freestyle
3. Skoda Rapid
4. Nissan Magnite

Ford Freestyle is the only car as far as I know that offers 6 Airbags in sub-10 Lakh price point.

If you want 6 airbags + ESP in compact crossovers segment, Venue, Sonet and Ecosport offers them at a price of 11-13 Lakhs Ex-showroom.

Another important thing is Nissan Magnite offers ESP + Hill Assist + Traction in 3 variants unlike most others who offer only on Top variants.

I am appalled when people comment and question the safety without proper research and then talk about sheet metal thickness BS. I do hate the super thin sheet metal on Baleno due to aesthetic reasons, but I really hope Magnite is not as thin as Maruthi's. Let's see.

* I might have made mistakes while compiling this table, please feel free to correct the attached excel if needed.
Attached Thumbnails
Nissan Magnite Review-safecars.jpg  

Attached Files
File Type: xlsx SafeCars.xlsx (17.8 KB, 153 views)

Last edited by Godzilla : 4th November 2020 at 10:49.
Godzilla is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 4th November 2020, 10:50   #189
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godzilla View Post

Below are the best.

1. Tata Nexon
2. Ford Freestyle
3. Skoda Rapid
4. Nissan Magnite

* I might have made mistakes while compiling this table, please feel free to correct the attached excel if needed.

XUV 300? 5 star NCAP (India's safest car)
Brezza (4 star NCAP)
VW polo (4 star NCAP)
Tata Altroz?
turbo is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 4th November 2020, 11:08   #190
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbo View Post
XUV 300? 5 star NCAP (India's safest car)
Brezza (4 star NCAP)
VW polo (4 star NCAP)
Tata Altroz?
XUV 300 has all the safety features, I have included it in the table it is above 10 L.

Altroz, Polo and Brezza do not have ESP or 6 Airbags. I do agree they have good crash rating. However, crash rating is only one side of the story, what about crash avoidance systems such as ESP?

Crash rating are usually done on top variants what about the lower variants?

https://www.thrillist.com/cars/natio...ults-are-wrong

https://www.autonews.com/commentary/...total-overhaul
Godzilla is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 4th November 2020, 11:21   #191
BHPian

Quote:
I don't think Jazz and Rapid - Rider plus have the stated features. Dzire AMT does have ESP, TCS and Hill hold. The new i20 is likely to have all the safety features you've mentioned, although price could be above the million mark.
2cents is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th November 2020, 12:22   #192
BHPian

Yes it's equally important to have a good suspension setup along with the electronic aids. Tata made it standard with the Nexon and now Nissan has done it with the Magnite(Turbo variants). If the Magnite does well in the market, we may see a 4-airbags/6- airbags variants as well.

Regarding the front armrest being available only in the top-end XV premium, is it the only variant which gets rear ac vents as well?
ATRONIX is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th November 2020, 13:07   #193
BHPian

I would not want to be caught in an accident even if the car weighs 10,000 kgs and has 20 airbags .

DRIVER prevents accidents. Driver assistance programs assist in the same as Godzilla has explained in his posts.

NOTE: That is just my way of looking at a safety of a car. Not interested in getting into arguments with anyone .
Nalin1 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 4th November 2020, 13:11   #194
BHPian

Quote:
The safety of the car should be viewed from multiple aspects.
  1. How well the car stops Most Indian cars come with ABS & EBD. However, at this price point most manufactures skip on ESP. ESP is rated as one of the most important safety invention after seat belt. BUT in India no one even talks about it. Kia does not offer ESP on Diesel variants of Seltos selling at 20 Lakh and people happily buy.

https://www.Youtube.com/watch?v=P4NXu7q_VHo
  2. Dynamics: How does the car handle moose test. This depends on how the manufacturers tune the suspension and steering. Hyundais are known for the soft suspension and light steering with is a death card under emergency manoeveurs. ESP also improves dynamics at high speeds.

https://www.Youtube.com/watch?v=NbpWpFj4JY4

Both Braking and Dynamics are critical to avoid an accident. Even when the crash becomes unavoidable good braking and handling will reduce the impact and can be life saving.

Now, crash testing comes next where the car is designed properly to give good crash protection. The weight of the car or the thickness of metal used DOES NOT MATTER . The crashability of a car and the protection it offers depends on how well they have designed it. Even if you have the heaviest of metal sheets such as an ambassador if it is designed poorly the occupants will suffer maximum damage. See how a light car such as smarttwo offers protection

https://www.Youtube.com/watch?v=TJzZ7-Od6KY

Magnite offers good safety features such as ESP(VDC), traction control and hill assist in many of their variants which is a welcome move considering Most of the cars in the market (sub-10 Lakhs) dont come with ESP.

I totally agree with your point.

ESP, I believe, is the most important safety feature in a car. It is way more important than airbags or thickness of the metal used for the car. I would any day prefer a car with ESP that has less airbags over a car without ESP that has more airbags.

Airbag is a passive safety feature in a car accident; it deploys when the car crashes to prevent passengers from hitting their head on a hard surface to avoid injury.

ESP, on the other hand, is an active safety feature in a car accident; it intelligently brakes each wheel depending upon the steering input and car's movement to force the car to go in the direction that driver desires thus avoiding a crash. ESP saves you in imaginable ways. India is country where there are many inconsistencies on road with regards to traffic. Anyone can come on the road from anywhere. And this is where the ESP comes in. It helps you maneuver your car in the right way, away from the harm.

If there is no crash, there is no need for airbags or thick metal. Technologies that avoid crash, in my opinion, are more important than technologies that reduce the impact of a crash on passengers. After all, prevention is better than cure (I know this phrase doesn't exactly match in this situation but you get what I'm trying to say).

I am in no way saying that airbags or thickness of metal doesn't matter. Those things do matter. But what I'm saying is ESP, and of course, other vehicle dynamics matter more (at least in majority of cases).

Since the Magnite has ESP, I think it will be very safe on the road. In my opinion, it is much safer than every car that is on the road that lacks ESP (In most cases). Take Hyundai Creta and Kia Seltos for example. Only their top-end variants come with ESP. That's a shame, in my opinion. You spend 17 lakhs on top-second variant of these cars and you still don't get ESP. Magnite, on the other hand, offers ESP at 11 lakhs. Of course, even Magnite doesn't offer ESP in its base variant. But the thing is the top-end variant with ESP will just cost you 11 lakhs, which is much cheaper than 17-lakh worth variant of Hyundai Creta or Kia Seltos that lack ESP.

Sadly, most people in India don't talk about ESP. I think Indian government should've made ESP a compulsion rather than airbags. But I guess that would've increased the cost of cars. So I think the decision from Indian government is only fair. Moreover, ESP is said to become mandatory in India from 2023. I eagerly waiting for that day.

Also, if anyone of you don't know how ESP works (I'm guessing most people know), please watch this video. It is very informative.

AbidIqbalShaik is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 4th November 2020, 14:05   #195
BHPian

Couldn't agree more with Godzila, Nalin1 and AbidIqbalShaik regarding safety features. ABS+EBD and ESP(TC is part of it) - these three are the most important safety features for a car, of course, there are Airbags and stability control, but with these three safety features in your car the chances of an accident reduces.

Govt of India is making ESP mandatory in all new cars from 2023 which is very welcome move. This will save thousands of lives every year by avoiding accidents.

Personally, I will always prefer "crash avoidance" system rather than "crash support" system in my car. I will try to avoid crash/accidents always rather than being in such scenario. Of course, 4 or 6 airbags will give you peace of mind but it won't guarantee that you will escape the crash unscratched.

Above are my personal opinion only. I am looking forward to experts here for their view in this regard.
Deadpool is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks