Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 4th November 2020, 15:02   #196
BHPian

re: Nissan Magnite Review

The concern is not so much about Sheet metal thickness. It was about the core unibody structure's strength. The previous news that it was originally conceived as a Datsun car does not also help this concern. Generally lighter cars have not fared well in the overall robustness. The sheet metal is just a touch-and-feel point, but there is lot beyond that which does not meet the eye, but impacts safety.

As you pointed out ABS+EBD+ESP helps a lot in that aspect. So does the strength of the body-shell. The ABS+EBD+ESP are crash-avoiding measures, while the Airbags and bodyshell strength are for protecting the passengers in case of a crash. They are not exactly "either-or", ideally both should be comprehensive. That's why we have crash tests and ratings, despite cars having most or all of crash-avoiding technologies.

In this particular context, generally everybody is appreciating Magnite and the effort Nissan put into this. We all expected Nissan to cut corners to be aggressive on the price, it's a optimization game. Nobody is blaming them for doing that.

But that does not mean we go gung-ho and throw all concerns to winds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godzilla View Post
I am appalled when people comment and question the safety without proper research and then talk about sheet metal thickness BS. I do hate the super thin sheet metal on Baleno due to aesthetic reasons, but I really hope Magnite is not as thin as Maruthi's. Let's see.
cuboid is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th November 2020, 16:07   #197
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuboid View Post
The concern is not so much about Sheet metal thickness. It was about the core unibody structure's strength. The previous news that it was originally conceived as a Datsun car does not also help this concern. Generally lighter cars have not fared well in the overall robustness. The sheet metal is just a touch-and-feel point, but there is lot beyond that which does not meet the eye, but impacts safety.

As you pointed out ABS+EBD+ESP helps a lot in that aspect. So does the strength of the body-shell. The ABS+EBD+ESP are crash-avoiding measures, while the Airbags and bodyshell strength are for protecting the passengers in case of a crash. They are not exactly "either-or", ideally both should be comprehensive. That's why we have crash tests and ratings, despite cars having most or all of crash-avoiding technologies.

In this particular context, generally everybody is appreciating Magnite and the effort Nissan put into this. We all expected Nissan to cut corners to be aggressive on the price, it's a optimization game. Nobody is blaming them for doing that.

But that does not mean we go gung-ho and throw all concerns to winds.
The Nissan Magnite is based on CMF A+ Platform, whereas the older Datsun cars were based on Nissan V platform (Not the same). I agree with you that crash testing is needed to determine the crash worthiness of the new CMF A+ platform.

CMF B platform had secured 5 stars safety rating in Euro NCAP. Renault Kwid based on CMF A received 3 stars in latin NCAP. I hope CMF A+ crash worthiness is between 3-4 stars. I guess we have to wait till the crash testing results are out to be sure.

https://www.carandbike.com/news/rena...or-the-2041494

https://www.latinncap.com/en/result/...id-+-4-airbags

Last edited by Godzilla : 4th November 2020 at 16:32.
Godzilla is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th November 2020, 16:45   #198
BHPian

This is the best variant distribution I have seen among Indian cars in the recent past.

Even the base XE variant looks sufficiently loaded for a car. If I need a car just to roam around the city limits or for small commutes the XE looks perfectly fine. Maybe you can add a basic music system if in case that is a necessity.

If this car cannot change the fortunes of Nissan brand in India, no other car can.

And regarding the safety of sheet metal or gross weight, this is what most of the Indian customers deserves, DOT.

You offer them a 50 star car or 20 ton car, but they will be buying the Kitna Deti Hei one or Sunroof Wali Gaaadi , so that's all.

Last edited by kamilharis : 4th November 2020 at 16:47.
kamilharis is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 4th November 2020, 19:01   #199
Distinguished - BHPian

Nissan Magnite XE Base Manual Variant First Photos – Expected Price ₹ 5.8 lakhs,

Nissan Magnite Review-nissanmagnitexebasevariantdetails6.jpg

Nissan Magnite Review-nissanmagnitexebasevariantdetails8600x338.jpg

Nissan Magnite Review-nissanmagnitexebasevariantdetails1600x338.jpg

Nissan Magnite Review-nissanmagnitexebasevariantdetails4600x289.jpg

Nissan Magnite Review-nissanmagnitexebasevariantdetails11600x294.jpg

Nissan Magnite Review-nissanmagnitexebasevariantdetails10.jpg

Link

Last edited by volkman10 : 4th November 2020 at 19:04.
volkman10 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 4th November 2020, 19:17   #200
BHPian

Nice ! Things caught my attention :

*Adjustable headrests
*Split fold rear seat ?

If they target premium hatchback pricing with this car and packaging, then I guess it would do more than 4K per month.
Old 4th November 2020, 19:51   #201
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
Nissan Magnite XE Base Manual Variant First Photos – Expected Price ₹ 5.8 lakhs,

Link
These do not look like actual photographs, these are digitally generated ones. Not authentic for sure, I would say.
Engine_Roars is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th November 2020, 20:13   #202
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Engine_Roars View Post
These do not look like actual photographs, these are digitally generated ones. Not authentic for sure, I would say.

Thats because they are.
They are literal screenshots taken from Nissan India website. Just scroll to the bottom of the screen, click on the 360 degree view, select variant and colour, and you can take the "pictures" too.

And as for the price guess, thats just, umm, 'guesswork'.

Wonder why such clickbait is even posted, but maybe some people actually stand to gain from this, especially those who've not visited the website.

EDIT: Here's a "pic" of a white base model XE that I just took.
Maybe Rushlane should hire me. Oh, and as for price guess, since I'm feeling particularly bold today, I'll go with 5.49 ex-showroom Delhi.
Attached Thumbnails
Nissan Magnite Review-white.jpg  

Last edited by turbo : 4th November 2020 at 20:26.
turbo is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 4th November 2020, 20:14   #203
BHPian

One genuine question --which other base version of a car under 10L has a rear wiper?
RaghuVis is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th November 2020, 21:17   #204
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaghuVis View Post
One genuine question --which other base version of a car under 10L has a rear wiper?
The new Honda Jazz has rear wiper in all variants.
rajivr1612 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 4th November 2020, 21:21   #205
BHPian

Found these from a pdf which a dealer shared to me today. A lot of best in segment and first in segment details (need to fact check, but i think as an OEM they won't lie )
Attached Thumbnails
Nissan Magnite Review-screenshot_20201104211513.jpg  

Nissan Magnite Review-screenshot_20201104211451.jpg  

Nissan Magnite Review-screenshot_20201104211429.jpg  

Attached Files
File Type: pdf 20102572_Nissan-Magnite_Mobile-Brochure.pdf (8.06 MB, 765 views)
starke is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 4th November 2020, 22:01   #206
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by starke View Post
Found these from a pdf which a dealer shared to me today. A lot of best in segment and first in segment details (need to fact check, but i think as an OEM they won't lie )
Wow I know Rakesh Srivastava is a magician and he is spot on when it comes to delivering bang for the buck (maximum value to customers). Look at those slides, perfect for those sales reps to share to potential customers who are considering competitors. Can’t wait for the price reveal. Kudos Nissan. Really impressed to see the fight Nissan is bringing to the table.
Godzilla is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 4th November 2020, 22:19   #207
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by starke View Post
In these slides they have pitted the Magnite XV Premium Turbo (CVT) against the Venue Turbo S (DCT) which is priced at Rs. 9.66 lakhs ex-showroom. I am assuming a similar pricing for the Magnite. If yes, it should be around 11 lakhs on-road mumbai.

Similarly, they pitted the Magnite Turbo XL against the Tata Nexon XE variant which is priced at 6.99 lakhs ex-showroom. This should be a clear indication of what the pricing of the magnite might be like.
ATRONIX is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 4th November 2020, 23:14   #208
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATRONIX View Post
In these slides they have pitted the Magnite XV Premium Turbo (CVT) against the Venue Turbo S (DCT) which is priced at Rs. 9.66 lakhs ex-showroom. I am assuming a similar pricing for the Magnite. If yes, it should be around 11 lakhs on-road mumbai.

Similarly, they pitted the Magnite Turbo XL against the Tata Nexon XE variant which is priced at 6.99 lakhs ex-showroom. This should be a clear indication of what the pricing of the magnite might be like.
I feel like it will be positioned below those rivals and that's why they pitted specifically the market leaders. XE NA might start at 5.5 and turbo around 6.5 with a cvt turbo topping at 7.5
starke is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th November 2020, 23:18   #209
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATRONIX View Post

For the additional feature lists they compared in the table, no offence even if they add 50k additional over competition. Still magnite will look commendable. But with current brand image, less dealer point, poor market acceptance, they should price it close to competition.

If they hit the market with such a lowest jaw dropping price, am sure, someone who never having an Idea of buying a car, would buy a magnite!

Last edited by jeganatu : 4th November 2020 at 23:22.
jeganatu is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 6th November 2020, 15:07   #210
Senior - BHPian

Nissan Magnite's 1.0L Turbo Petrol engine revealed

Nissan has released details of the 1.0-litre turbo-petrol engine that powers the upcoming Magnite crossover.

Nissan Magnite Review-hra0-mt.jpg

The HRA0 1.0-litre, 3-cylinder, turbocharged petrol engine produces 99 BHP @ 5,000 rpm and 160 Nm @ 2,800-3,600 rpm. It will be offered with either a 5-speed manual gearbox or a continuously variable transmission (CVT). In the CVT version, the peak torque of the engine is restricted to 152 Nm @ 2,200-4,400 rpm.

The HRA0 Turbo engine borrows "mirror bore cylinder coating" technology from the Nissan GT-R sports car. It is claimed to reduce resistance inside the engine, reduce weight and improve heat management and combustion.

Name:  HRA0 CVT.png
Views: 15698
Size:  126.1 KB

According to Nissan, the HRA0 Turbo engine features 6 technical improvements that are said to improve fuel economy and lower its CO2 emissions (118.5 g/km). The engine is also claimed to have lower NVH levels and provides 50% better acceleration compared to naturally aspirated engines.

The Magnite will also be offered with a 1.0-litre, 3-cylinder naturally aspirated motor that puts out 71 BHP @ 6,250 rpm and 96 Nm @ 3,500 rpm. It is paired with a 5-speed manual gearbox.

Link to Team-BHP News

Last edited by TusharK : 6th November 2020 at 15:08.
TusharK is offline   (20) Thanks

Most Viewed