Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 23rd November 2020, 00:35   #421
BHPian

Re: Nissan Magnite Review

A very different review depicting off-road capability, performance, speed test and braking.

Deadpool is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2020, 01:34   #422
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amoghchaphalkar View Post
I do not see anything different in this car that will help it achieve, let alone sustain, strong volumes.
It does have some noteworthy differentiators like:

1. Segment first Wireless android auto/ apple CarPlay
2. Segment best space
3. Segment first CVT gearbox. Usually more reliable than AMT/DCT & more frugal than TC.
4. Defogger and rear wash/wipe from base variant.
5. Segment first 360 degree camera (although clarity not that great as per reviews)
6. Decent performance in turbo guise. ~12 sec 0-100 is not bad at all.
7. PRICING would be another strong point spanning across Tiago/WagonR top end to Venue/Sonet/XUV3OO/Nexon mid variant

Nissan really needs to get their dealership issues sorted ASAP for Magnite to gain some solid traction.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amoghchaphalkar View Post
The "killer" pricing is going to be at the expense of quality and safety
Well there are manufacturers with expensive vehicles selling in 5 digits monthly and still scoring 3 stars with unstable body-shell & then relatively cheaper vehicles scoring 5 stars (Nexon). So cheaper pricing is not really always synonymous to compromised safety. Let’s wait for GNCAP test results before passing blanket statement about safety

Last edited by SoumenD : 23rd November 2020 at 02:01.
SoumenD is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2020, 02:41   #423
BHPian

Nissan has 5 dealerships in Delhi now which were just 1 or 2 last month. Service centres in Delhi are still limited to 2 which I believe will increase based on Magnite's sales charts. Is it just Delhi or some other cities have also seen spike in Nissan's dealerships ahead of Magnite's launch?
r.joshi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2020, 10:23   #424
Senior - BHPian

Hope people rely largely on Team-BHPs unbioased review & also search around the net to make their own informed judgement by driving the car themselves. Many auto-Journos on YouTube & social media seem to be making contradictory observations & passing random uninformed "cautionary" ramblings devoid of even basic research, with their "reviews" of the Magnite.

Platform : Stellar platform allowed the design engineers to ensure the space within the car is optimised in a brilliant way. The Magnite being based on the same platform as Triber with parts shared has given Nissan the ability to keep costs in check. At this price point, I don't expect it to score 5-star in safety, 3-Star would be likely IMO.

Engine : A 1L turbo petrol would have a high compression ratio, but longevity can be well managed if the run-in period & timely oil change is given due care to ensure the engine & piston rings are well bed in. The turbo-band seems to be very wide. Going by the driving reviews, it turbo seems to spool from a low 1000RPM and goes up to 3000+RPM, and that is a very very good thing as it'd help drivability (ie the car will feel peppy/nimble) & prevent the engine from being a fuel hog.

Mileage : Although the ARAI figures say 20kmpl (MT) / 18kmpl (AT), IMO real world figures could likely be ~14kmpl (MT / AT, both) within medium city traffic.

Autobox : It is well known that small turbo-petrols often give poor mileage, especially with automatics of the DCT & TC type, and that CVTs are really good at the very same aspect whilst costing fairly low to manufacture as well as implement into their vehicles. Hence, mating a CVT without tiptronic mode, to a small sized turbocharged Petrol engine is a clever strategy. With Nissan possibly aiming for 30-40,000 units of just the Automatic in a year, CVT was the obvious choice.

Nissans' CVTs are made by their subsidiary, Jatco. Although Jatco CVTs weren't known to be reliable until a decade ago, they've since been improving the metallurgy of its components & CVT drive belt. Until I last came across reviews, they were known to only be reliable up to ~1.2-1.5L kms before requiring maintenance/complete rebuild of the GB. So, no matter what their manual may say, it'd be wise of people who buy the Nissan CVT to check if they should change the AT fluid after 90k kms itself, and every 70k kms thereafter. Of course, Toyotas' ultra reliable CVTs are made by their subsidiary AISIN and don't require such care, but they too got it right after spending years perfecting it.

In case of ideal usage by the average consumer in India, I don't think a small petrol car would be used more than 1L kms over 4-5 years before it is sold-off. I just believe people shouldn't expect great resale for the CVT variants as many owners would've eventually reported their CVT issues.

Price : Nissan is often known to try a sticker-shock price in many countries to gain market share. It is most welcome especially when we find Kia/Hyundai selling similar cars (Sonet/Venue) for about 25% higher price, viz a lot of premium. Kia/Any DCT is not cheap to own either, as their dry-clutches eventually DO wear out and cost pretty high in parts as well as take a lot of expert labour to replace.

Looking at some YouTube "reviewers"/salesmen, competition seem pretty unsettled as India is a price sensitive market.
Interesting times ahead. Lets see!

Last edited by GrammarNazi : 23rd November 2020 at 10:47.
GrammarNazi is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2020, 10:46   #425
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadpool View Post
A very different review depicting off-road capability, performance, speed test and braking.

https://www.Youtube.com/watch?v=1oFgUyr72z4
Love the way the suspension sorts itself out so quickly without going all over the place and nervous. Even in the braking, we can see there is not much of a dive before coming to stop.

The only part I dislike is the tacky console. They should have given a proper analog panel itself to look decent. Does it come with sunroof ?
srishiva is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2020, 10:54   #426
Senior - BHPian

Can you please tell me the price point in which the Magnite would be offered, and if its the same price point as Tata Nexon?
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrammarNazi View Post
The Magnite being based on the same platform as Triber with parts shared has given Nissan the ability to keep costs in check. At this price point, I don't expect it to score 5-star in safety, 3-Star would be likely IMO.
Old 23rd November 2020, 11:47   #427
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoumenD View Post
It does have some noteworthy differentiators like:

3. Segment first CVT gearbox. Usually more reliable than AMT/DCT & more frugal than TC.
Xtronic CVT needs a TC(Torque Converter) for clutch , just that the gearbox has no 'teeth' it just uses a belt, no prizes for guessing why it shows up in more affordable cars.

Considering the power transfer through a fluid and then a belt , I doubt if it is any good for fuel efficiency, I know for a fact that the City CVT was returning just ~ 9- 9.5 kmpl in Bangalore when offices were open.
Old 23rd November 2020, 11:58   #428
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srishiva View Post
Does it come with sunroof ?
Not as of now. Probably Nissan will provide it later if Magnite sets the sales chart on fire.

Quote:
Can you please tell me the price point in which the Magnite would be offered, and if its the same price point as Tata Nexon?
Expected price is in the bracket of 5.5 - 9.5 lakhs ex-showroom. It will undercut all its rivals by significant mergin even premium hatch like i-20, polo, jazz, altroz will be pricier.
Deadpool is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2020, 12:05   #429
BHPian

On the topic of the number of service centres inside the city or big metros, in my opinion two or three should suffice for getting the job done.

Not just Nissan, but generally speaking for any manufacturer.

Even the second or third is needed only for a second (third) opinion for major issues. What do we do with 22 service centers in the city?. If the car is hopping to all of them, it is a disaster anyway!.

Likewise it is very important to have at least one in and around the smaller towns and rural areas for peace of mind.
Old 23rd November 2020, 12:51   #430
BHPian

Performance numbers of Magnite when compared with its competitors is as mentioned in the list. (numbers are from Autocar India).

* Magnite MT is the quickest in terms of outright performance in its class. Ingear acceleration numbers are arent as impressive. Strangely NA Brezza is best in this regard
* Magnite CVT is quick both in terms of outright performance and kickdown mode. More powerful and sophisticated Venue DCT (Sonet too, most likely) is faster but not by much.
* Magnite is going to be the cheapest car doing 100 kmph under 12 seconds for MT and under 13 seconds for CVT if prices are as claimed.
* Magnite is among the cheapest car to get the hill hold/ESP/TC/EBD equipped in a car in India.
* Magnite will be cheapest petrol car with a Turbo charger.
* Magnite will be the cheapest 'proper automatic' in the country
* Magnite will be the cheapest car with 195 section tyres !
Attached Images

Turbokick is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2020, 12:52   #431
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srishiva View Post
Love the way the suspension sorts itself out so quickly without going all over the place and nervous. Even in the braking, we can see there is not much of a dive before coming to stop.
This doesn't align too well with the pretty good review from Overdrive. There they have specifically mentioned that the car has a pronounced and unsettling nose-dive on braking. Car loses stability especially if not fully loaded & doesn't stop in a straight line. Whats worse - there is a nose-dive skewed towards the right of the car - i.e. towards on-coming traffic the way I see it.

I really hope these problems don't stay as standard in all Magnites sold.

Below.
(P.S. - ODMag - if you are reading this - I like the way Rohit Paradkar covers reviews. His presentation & details are good. His persona is also very friendly on the screen. Just please fix the opening narrations in your reviews. They tend to be rather lame. Just a chain of some lines with references of no significance & adjectives that just don't fit the context.)
Old 23rd November 2020, 14:26   #432
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by r.joshi View Post
Nissan has 5 dealerships in Delhi now which were just 1 or 2 last month. Service centres in Delhi are still limited to 2 which I believe will increase based on Magnite's sales charts. Is it just Delhi or some other cities have also seen spike in Nissan's dealerships ahead of Magnite's launch?
Faridabad currently has no Nissan dealership and no service center. But YouWe Nissan which already has a dealership in Okhla, New Delhi, are opening up a dealership and service center in Faridabad. They are planning to open the service center to public in December first week.
Old 23rd November 2020, 14:42   #433
RSR
Senior - BHPian

It's all about having reasonable expectations from a product!

It's not fair to expect Sonet/Venue levels of NVH, fit & finish, powertrain options & feature list at the price Nissan are going to sell the Magnite.

Nor is it fair to expect XUV300/Nexon levels of 5* G-NCAP rating at the price Nissan are going to sell the Magnite.

Remember the rumoured 5.5 lac rupee starting price of the Magnite (for the base 72 PS 1.0 NA manual)? Forget 4m C-SUVs like Venue, Sonet, Vitara Brezza, Urban Cruiser, EcoSport, XUV300, Nexon & WR-V, that's in the range of micro-SUVs like the Ignis, KUV100 & Freestyle!

This product better succeed for Nissan and revive the brand from its deathbed in India. Otherwise, yet another carmaker would exit the Indian market and consumers will be the only losers. More the competition, the better it is for us consumers!

Last edited by RSR : 23rd November 2020 at 14:45.
RSR is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2020, 15:11   #434
Senior - BHPian

Seeing the interest this car is generating (both in the forum and off it), i expect it to be a reasonable hit in the market.

What is going for it is brisk performing engine (both manual and CVT), a low cost high value proposition, and the general likeability of pseudo SUVs in the Indian market.

What i am particularly impressed by is the CVT. From the reviews and feedback so far, its quick, nimble, has minimum lag and rubber band effect and is easy to live with.

CVT would be my variant of choice if i were in the market looking for the Magnite.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSR View Post
It's not fair to expect Sonet/Venue levels of NVH, fit & finish, powertrain options & feature list at the price Nissan are going to sell the Magnite.

Nor is it fair to expect XUV300/Nexon levels of 5* G-NCAP rating at the price Nissan are going to sell the Magnite.

While i agree somewhat with the NVH/quality part dependency on the price point, i strongly disagree with the association of safety with price point.

If TATA can provide a 4 star rated car at Rs. 4-5lacs (Tiago), whats stopping Nissan from giving 4+ star safety in the Magnite ?

Cheaper need not be unsafer.

Last edited by DCEite : 23rd November 2020 at 15:41.
DCEite is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2020, 17:55   #435
BHPian

I have a basic question, why are the companies mating 3 cylinder petrol engine with Turbo options? Is it not possible to add Turbo for 4 cylinder engines?

Most Viewed