Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th July 2021, 16:26   #136
BHPian

Re: 2020 Hyundai Tucson Facelift Review : 2.0L Diesel with 8-speed AT

My family is in need for a new car and we have decided to buy Tuscon.
We compared Innova, Compass and Tuscon in petrol and diesel and finally decided to go forward with Tuscon Diesel 2WD.

->What kind of offers/discount can i expect on this variant.

->And why is there an option to buy extended warranty for 4/5th year. Are 4/5 years not covered in wonder warranty that Hyundai offers with Tuscon ?

Thanks in advance
ghost-was-here is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th July 2021, 17:10   #137
Senior - BHPian

To put it simply the Tucson is a 'good' car that no one basically wants! It appeals to the brain rather than the heart. Who says you buy a car with brains and not the heart?? Least they could have spruced up the interiors and added features that made Hyundai popular in the first place: instead what we got with the update was same plain jane interiors with features missing and this step motherly treatment saw it fall of the radar of guys willing to splurge Rs 30L on a car.
Durango Dude is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th July 2021, 18:59   #138
BHPian

It's true. Mechanically Santa Fe was a great car and the Tucson is the same. The r-Series diesel engine is a hoot to drive. Sadly they have completely ignored updating these cars and you feel Creta has better interiors and features than this.
Old 26th July 2021, 20:24   #139
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durango Dude View Post
To put it simply the Tucson is a 'good' car that no one basically wants! It appeals to the brain rather than the heart. Who says you buy a car with brains and not the heart?? Least they could have spruced up the interiors and added features that made Hyundai popular in the first place: instead what we got with the update was same plain jane interiors with features missing and this step motherly treatment saw it fall of the radar of guys willing to splurge Rs 30L on a car.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnandB View Post
It's true. Mechanically Santa Fe was a great car and the Tucson is the same. The r-Series diesel engine is a hoot to drive. Sadly they have completely ignored updating these cars and you feel Creta has better interiors and features than this.
IMO a big part of Hyundai not investing more can be attributed to the poor sales this segment sees.

Most buyers spending so much would rather go the Fortuner / Endeavour / Compass way as can be seen by the sales figures.

Honda failed with the CRV, VW & Skoda didn't set the charts on fire either.
One can say that interiors and features are dated : segment leader fortuner is worse, and compass is arguably less VFM overall as well.
Same for the others too : CRV diesel underpowered - well the endeavour 2.0 isn't a sprinter either, VW/Skoda service keeping people away? - Ford / Jeep aren't better either.

The big issue in my opinion is that this segment just sees all rounder, plain jane cars - but there isn't anything that stands out : fortuner has reliability, work horse, butch appeal; the endeavour is more refined and equally imposing; Compass too appeals to the heart more than the head. At this price point, the heart plays an equal role in the decision making.
Old 26th July 2021, 23:42   #140

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dharmen View Post
I believe Tucson Petrol GLS is more than sufficient.
Thank you, Dharmen, for your inputs. They will definitely help me decide on the variant(inclined towards the Diesel for now due to the TD experience).

Quote:
Originally Posted by yd_gli View Post
I was at the Hyundai dealer in Pune yesterday to check out the Tucson for my wife. The dealer had no display/test drive Tucsons available.
I checked with the Hyd dealers. They are accepting orders for the current(facelift) model and are sure that the new gen is definitely a few months away. It seems the HMIL Chennai factory has some ready stock; deliveries being promised in 7-10 days.
Which dealer in Pune are you referring to? I called up Garve and Mira. They mentioned(atleast, on a call) having GLS 4WD for TDs and are promising deliveries in 1-2 months. The delivery time is in contradiction to Hyd dealers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghost-was-here View Post
->What kind of offers/discount can i expect on this variant.

->And why is there an option to buy extended warranty for 4/5th year. Are 4/5 years not covered in wonder warranty that Hyundai offers with Tuscon ?
I am currently being offered around 70k off on ex-showroom. Do you have kms mentioned along with 4/5th year extended warranty? Wonder warranty is 4yr/60k or 5yr/50k. I suppose one needs to pay extra to increase the kms coverage.
pbr88 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th July 2021, 00:32   #141
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamborghini View Post
IMO a big part of Hyundai not investing more can be attributed to the poor sales this segment sees.

Most buyers spending so much would rather go the Fortuner / Endeavour / Compass way as can be seen by the sales figures.
Aren't those two statements contradictory? I mean FCA did take efforts and made investments to bring in a good car and build a brand with just one car, right!!

Hyundai can do the same with Tucson or other cars from their portfolio. I guess it simply is about what you have on the table and have to choose/ignore a particular segment so as to focus your efforts/attention on what is earning more for you. In case of FCA, Compass was an all-in effort. For Hyundai, it seems like the case of Maruti - why split your efforts when you can make more money in lower segments?
sunilch is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 27th July 2021, 08:18   #142
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghost-was-here View Post

Thanks in advance
Most of the sales staff are not aware of the Tucson offers as they are not used to selling these. On your PI there should not be any cost other than Ex-showroom, RTO, Insurance, CESS and Fastag. Happened to me as well. They quoted me extended warranty. I had to show them about the warranty from Hyundai website for Tucson and Elantra. Tucson is offered warranty of 3 year unlimited, 4 year 60K or 5 year 50K. This also comes with zero maintenance for 3 years. Hope this helps.
Dharmen is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th July 2021, 08:58   #143
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbr88 View Post
Which dealer in Pune are you referring to?.
I got the info from Kothari Hyundai. Given the discrepancy between various dealers and the factory, I think it is safe to assume that the new one is around the corner. It doesn’t make sense to buy the current version now especially with no discounts.
yd_gli is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th July 2021, 14:51   #144
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbr88 View Post
I am currently being offered around 70k off on ex-showroom. Do you have kms mentioned along with 4/5th year extended warranty? Wonder warranty is 4yr/60k or 5yr/50k. I suppose one needs to pay extra to increase the kms coverage.
Thanks a ton for the info. I am being offered 1 lakhs on ex-showroom, but would want atleast 2.5 lakhs discount, seeing that new one is around the corner.

Thanks for the warranty suggestion. I will try and get some clarity from SA and post here. If the warranty can add kilometers to the already long 5 year warranty, I will be more than pleased
Old 30th July 2021, 16:06   #145
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunilch View Post
Aren't those two statements contradictory? I mean FCA did take efforts and made investments to bring in a good car and build a brand with just one car, right!!

Hyundai can do the same with Tucson or other cars from their portfolio. I guess it simply is about what you have on the table and have to choose/ignore a particular segment so as to focus your efforts/attention on what is earning more for you. In case of FCA, Compass was an all-in effort. For Hyundai, it seems like the case of Maruti - why split your efforts when you can make more money in lower segments?
Sorry, I didn't mean it in that sense.
I meant to say that this particular segment of Rs. 25-35L Smaller crossover / sedan based 'SUVs' do not see much in terms of sales as compared to similarly priced ladder on frame SUVs.

Given most of these vehicles : Tucson, Kodiaq, Tiguan, CRV are sold globally across Europe / USA (for some models) as mass market commuter vehicles, investing in a major redesign for India may not be viable, especially if it is to just generate an additional 200 units a month at most. This segment is meeting a similar fate as the entry level D Segment sedans in terms of sales v/s C segment (Civic v/s City).

The Compass is probably an outlier, attracting some of the Creta top-end buyers too + Jeep branding (same for Ford SUVs, and even Toyota), despite lacking those nice to have features, etc.
lamborghini is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2021, 11:43   #146
BHPian

I test drove the Tucson this weekend. The drive-train is fantastic and I loved the brakes. There are only two issues creating a doubt in my mind on considering it further:
- The rear seat felt quite low and the window line was at my shoulder. I am 5'7" and my mom who is shorter will have no view of the outside.
- The road noise inside the cabin was very high. I don't know if it is common across all Tucsons with the Nexen tires or if there was something wrong with the test drive vehicle. The vehicle had only run ~2k kms so it was not a tire wear issue for sure. The car didn't feel like a 30L car due to the road noise.

The first issue is a design issue and can't be solved. I'll have to live with it. But the second one bugs me more. I drive extensively on the highways and that road noise is a nuisance. Does anybody have thoughts on it? Has anyone changed the tires on their Tucson?

Last edited by yd_gli : 2nd August 2021 at 11:47.
Old 3rd August 2021, 14:57   #147
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by yd_gli View Post
But the second one bugs me more. I drive extensively on the highways and that road noise is a nuisance. Does anybody have thoughts on it? Has anyone changed the tires on their Tucson?
That's odd. The test drive vehicle i received had Bridgestone Turanza. My SA told they were from factory like this only. And what tyre brand will come depends on what factory has in stock (and not Nexen as they were out of stock). The TD vehicle had run close to 12000km and there was minimal road noise up to 70-75 kmph.

I would totally not get a vehicle with Nexen tyres. The experience of few of the team-bhp members have been sub-par which makes me feel like its a safety issue.
ghost-was-here is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th August 2021, 22:39   #148
BHPian

i took the deisel awd vehicle for a test drive in mumbai. seems hyundai just does not want to sell this car. first no one in the showroom knew what a tucson is, then when i spoke to a manager he arranged for a test drive.

the car itself was in a bad shape. also, it had hardly any deisel as a result i was requested to keep the TD short since the MID showed fuel for only 18 kms!!!. the wireless charging pad was removed " as they had used it to replace the part for an existing customer who had some issues". the engine was brilliant but the experience convinced me that hyundai is not where you spend 30 odd lakhs.

also, without even negotiating a was offered a 1 lakh discount.
AP_1812 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th August 2021, 18:13   #149
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AP_1812 View Post
the wireless charging pad was removed " as they had used it to replace the part for an existing customer who had some issues".
also, without even negotiating a was offered a 1 lakh discount.
I'm surprised they admitted to that! Is there a problem with spare availability? The discount doesn't surprise me since the next generation is already out.
Old 8th August 2021, 19:22   #150
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by caffeineAM View Post
I'm surprised they admitted to that! Is there a problem with spare availability? The discount doesn't surprise me since the next generation is already out.
Honestly, i think spares may be an issue. the dealer also said that no one buys a tucson and they are given a target to sell just 5 -6 cars a month.

We have a petrol tucson in the family for the last 3 years. it is super reliable and nothing has gone wrong with it for us to know if spares are an issue.

Hyundai needs to refresh this product and train its dealers better to be able to sell premium cars.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks