Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 14th August 2021, 13:02   #151
BHPian

Re: 2020 Hyundai Tucson Facelift Review : 2.0L Diesel with 8-speed AT

Quote:
Originally Posted by AP_1812 View Post
seems hyundai just does not want to sell this car.
Similar Experience in Bengaluru. My BIL was looking at the Tucson. Residing in South Bengaluru, we went to Pavan Hyundai in Kanakapura Road and they told us they are not authorised to sell Tucson & Elantra.

Called up Advaith Bilekahalli and guess what - Tucson isn’t available for TD/display at all Advaith Branches.

We were told someone from the Bellandur (ORR) branch would call us back and arrange a TD, well it’s been 3 days now and we haven’t got a TD nor any follow up call.

This is supposed to be their most premium product and this is the pre-sales experience.

Ended up booking the Compass.

A great car let down by a very poor sales experience.
drhoneycake is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th August 2021, 13:17   #152
BANNED

I feel the success of the Creta offering a similar experience and the price difference between the Creta and the Tucson has ruined whatever chances the car has.

Tucson is overpriced in India makes it less desirable.

Maybe Hyundai also needs a premium sales showroom for some of their products.
Old 14th August 2021, 21:01   #153

I have had extensive and multiple test drive experiences with the Tucson in Bangalore. Both Petrol and Diesel. Basically we have three choices in Bangalore if we want to test drive Tucson.
(1) Advaith :-- Residency Road (They have both Petrol and Diesel vehicle available
(2) Blue : Mysore Road (They have diesel 4wd vehicle)
(3) Trident : KR puram (They have petrol on display and Diesel for test drive. on request might allow test drive for both)

If anyone wants contact points for the same please do let me know.
I had shortlisted the Tucson and the Compass so I test drove the compass and Tucson back to back. According to my humble opinion the Tucson is a far better vehicle to drive. There is no sluggishness when you either drive the petrol or the diesel variant and there is seldom scarcity of power when you want it.(especially for the diesel).The compass is a great car but I think the gearbox + engine combination has not been mated to perfection (At least for lower speeds).Every time I drove the Tucson it felt capable at low and high speeds in equal measure.
abhi_trekker is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th August 2021, 00:38   #154
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhi_trekker View Post
(3) Trident : KR puram (They have petrol on display and Diesel for test drive. on request might allow test drive for both)
Having been the co-driver for my Tucson's journey from Surat to Bangalore, it has been top of my brother-in-law's list for his Duster's upgrade. Finally this week we decided to check out the cars on our shortlist. We first visited Trident, KR Puram. The SA Kiran was very knowledgeable and kept the expectations realistic. There wasn't much sales talk after he noticed that we drove a current model. They had three new cars in their inventory 1 petrol and 2 diesels - all in starry night. He said if the color choice is available in Chennai they can deliver in 2 weeks, if not by 2nd week of September. He added that the wait period is slightly longer now as they were receiving limited kits from Korea. The test drive vehicle wasn't available, but we weren't really particular about getting the test drive. He has offered to bring it home to Whitefield on Monday.

Regarding the offers, he gave a reasonable cash discount but said he can't do much else as this would be a corporate lease the insurance would be from the leasing company. He called his contact in the leasing company and has already set things in motion. He seem quite updated about the car and the global market, including how Tuscon was faring vs other popular cars in the segment like RAV4, CRV, Tiguan. He was also aware of the discussions on this forum including the reported issues of the Nexen tires. Overall a good experience. The showroom was crowded with people checking out Alcazar, yet they ensured people were given the required attention.

Next up, we stopped at Volkswagen which was practically next door. Our intent was to check out T-Roc, inquire about Taigun and also Tiguan (this is another car on top of the list). The experience was polar opposite, with full scale apathy on show right from their staff standing in the way and refusing to move even to let us park the car or when we were trying to get to back to the road, the showroom drivers ignoring the security's plea to let us pass through. On the floor, a guy walked up to us and said they were only selling only Polo and Vento currently. We asked about T-Roc and was told no more cars were available (that left a bad taste as we saw three new cars being driven in, even if they were booked he could have offered us a peek). Taigun would be available from September and Tiguan as per the SA by the end of the year. He did not even take any effort to take our contact information.

The Skoda experience was stellar! Just a few steps away,* the energy and the people were like from another planet from the VW. There was a crowd around Kushaq, we went to check Kushaq as BIL prefers the SUV form factor. There was quite a bit of excitement all around with the crew preparing the delivery of a brand new car. 1.5 DSG has arrived but the showroom was waiting for registration before they could start test drives. Kushaq felt underwhelming, and we struck it off our list but we were enamoured by the Octavia L&K on display. My previous ride being a 2019 Octavia, I always have a soft corner for the car. In the L&K guise everything about the car screamed premium. Few things I didn't like though - the wheel design, the black roof lining made the cabin feel more claustrophobic (this cabin experience could have been enhanced with the addition of a sunroof). The SA was knowledgeable and tried his best to justify the increased prices, it did seem a stretch considering the new car comes at almost 8 lakhs higher than what it was in 2019. He said there were absolutely no discounts on Octavia and less than a lakh on Superb. The test drive car was running on the donut tire due to a puncture and he will bring the car home on Monday.

My brother-in-law is heavily favoring Tucson at this time, but I am also trying to get his attention to Octavia and maybe Compass, considering the shift in opinion about the ZF9. He was ready to wait for the Tiguan 5 seater but with the treatment meted*out to a prospective buyer, we wondered what the ASS would be like.
rahulraag is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th August 2021, 10:04   #155
BHPian

I have observed this as well. The service folks at Hyundai seem clueless about many features. The good part at least is that I wrote to Hyundai directly and they were able to advise. Also now the head of service at my dealership takes care of any matters personally.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AP_1812 View Post
Honestly, i think spares may be an issue. the dealer also said that no one buys a tucson and they are given a target to sell just 5 -6 cars a month.

We have a petrol tucson in the family for the last 3 years. it is super reliable and nothing has gone wrong with it for us to know if spares are an issue.

Hyundai needs to refresh this product and train its dealers better to be able to sell premium cars.
Old 15th August 2021, 15:25   #156
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahulraag View Post
He was ready to wait for the Tiguan 5 seater but with the treatment meted*out to a prospective buyer, we wondered what the ASS would be like.
A few of us friends have had very good experience with particular Apple Auto VW dealership. I can put you through to my SA if you are interested. That guy is quite resourceful and would get you the T-ROC if it is indeed available.
Jaguar is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 15th August 2021, 20:08   #157

I have actually gone ahead and booked the Tucson Diesel GL (O) diesel Starry night last week. I was in two minds about which vehicle to buy and was pondering on the decision for a long long time.
Special thanks to @QuadraticAmoeba , @LONG_TOURER , @ach1lles and @rahulraag for the detailed reviews of their respective vehicles. Their reviews went a long way in helping me decide my newest buy.

I am currently awaiting delivery.
abhi_trekker is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 16th August 2021, 11:50   #158
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
A few of us friends have had very good experience with particular Apple Auto VW dealership. I can put you through to my SA if you are interested. That guy is quite resourceful and would get you the T-ROC if it is indeed available.
Hi Jaguar, it would be awesome if you could put us in touch with your SA. We like the car and if it is still available would definitely like to give it a try.

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhi_trekker View Post
I have actually gone ahead and booked the Tucson Diesel GL (O) diesel Starry night last week. I was in two minds about which vehicle to buy and was pondering on the decision for a long long time.
Special thanks to @QuadraticAmoeba , @LONG_TOURER , @ach1lles and @rahulraag for the detailed reviews of their respective vehicles. Their reviews went a long way in helping me decide my newest buy.

I am currently awaiting delivery.
Congratulations on your new car! It is great to see the tribe growing on Team BHP.
rahulraag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th August 2021, 12:49   #159
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahulraag View Post
Hi Jaguar, it would be awesome if you could put us in touch with your SA. We like the car and if it is still available would definitely like to give it a try.
Since you are a newbee, couldn't send you a PM. Have used the email option to share the SA's contact.
Jaguar is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 16th August 2021, 18:06   #160

Hi guys,
I was planning to buy a used Hyundai Tucson and found two models of 2017 (GLS 2WD Auto CRDI) worth the attention. Both of these vehicles have clocked between 50k and 65k km, but look well-maintained. My main worry is the gearbox. Since Tucson comes with a six-speed torque converter, I am wondering whether it is reliable enough and how long it will last past 50k. Besides, whether spares are easily available and how much it will cost to fix the gearbox if it goes kaput. Despite the fact that third-gen Tucson is claimed to be much better than its predecessors in terms of technological advance, the horrors of auto gearboxes and their costly repairs simply refuse to go away. So, what do I do?
Old 16th August 2021, 23:13   #161
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
Since you are a newbee, couldn't send you a PM. Have used the email option to share the SA's contact.
Thank you for sharing the details and also putting in a word. We also connected with him later in the evening, as he had told you earlier T-Roc current batch is all sold out. The three cars we saw, it seems were from a lot that was booked 2 months back. He also gave a tentative timeline of November - December for Tiguan, and even though it sounded optimistic said the 5 seater was likely to be priced around 36-37 lakhs OTR Bangalore.

Coming back to Tucson, the Trident SA keeping up the trend from the initial inquiry followed up today with us. He is bringing the car on Wednesday. He wanted to check the leasing company that we might go with so he can prepare the proforma invoice. Skoda did not follow-up today. We also were able to connect with the KHT Jeep dealer. So it looks like a shoot out between Jeep Compass S and Tucson GLS. There is the slight itch to wait for Tiguan but I think the enthusiasm to get a new car sooner will sink that.
Old 17th August 2021, 10:03   #162
BHPian

I am sorry if this has been answered before.
Is there a way to perform a software update for the maps in the in built navigation system of the Tucson? I am from Hyderabad and I see a lot of new roads missing from the map. My car recently went for its first service and I had asked the engineer to check if there's an update for maps. He said there is none.
This makes me wonder if there's a way to manually check for updates and do the same on my own.
Any inputs/redirects will be much appreciated. Thanks!
Old 17th August 2021, 19:13   #163
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Singh101 View Post

As someone who's fond of cars (cars, not badges), this hurts my brain.

To each their own, though! Cheers!
I feel that there is some connection with price point and brand. Taking an analogy from clothing brands, in early 2000's till even 2005, Colour Plus had good fan following along with Allen Solly. The shirts used to be priced around Rs-800-1,600. When these brands introduced pricing in the range of INR 2,500-3,500 that's when brands like Tommy were available for 3,500 and buyers started shifting. So may be Hyundai, market perceives pricing of less than INR 18-20 L as benchmark. One thing is most of the cars have shared parts. So incremental value in each model may not be that visible to a customer. Hyundai broke the market in India buy brining stuff that was in 35 L segment to 15 L segment and now they cant expect volumes in older Tucson to kick in. Its not fair. The new one has all the bells and whistles and if they can price on road at INR 25 L, they can create a dent for Jeep, VW, Skoda etc. But at 40 L they wont be able to sell 2022 model also
Old 17th August 2021, 20:46   #164
BHPian

The update on the Tucson vs Compass conundrum :

We did a back to back test drive of Tucson and the Compass. I did not drive the Tucson as it is my primary car, but my brother in law's observation is that Tucson is more responsive, agile, car like. We both found Compass a bit laggard, where as Tucson the throttle response seems more eager. We did strictly highway and few broken patches. I am sure Compass will shine on a trail but on the roads we rode Tucson ride seem more plush. Both cars were run about 7,000 kms and hopefully maintained well too.

Now coming to the bits that I really liked about the Compass - I found the 360 degree camera very useful. The ventilated seats I am sure I would come to love, but to be honest I haven't felt the absolute need for this as long as the A/C is good. The infotainment system in Compass makes the one in Tucson seem like one from two generations back. I really like how everything is put together in the cabin, very classy. Powered seats with memory function is something that I really like especially when your car wash folks and valets change the seating position. This is something that I miss in Tucson. For the rear seat, I like that Compass seating is higher and you get a better view of the outside world. But Tucson still has better ergonomics (with the reclining function), under thigh support and overall space. I couldn't make much difference in the boot space and I think both should be comparable.

I really want to like the Model S but the overall ride and driving does not let me. I would have preferred to have a Jeep in the family but looks like another Tucson is coming home, unless VW announces the Tiguan relaunch soon.

Side note: The SA of both Hyundai and Jeep were very knowledgeable and weren't pushy. I think their arrival around the same time may get us really competitive quotes even though the Jeep guy insisted that there are absolutely no offers or discounts.

The jeep SA insisted on showing us the engine. He must have said that thrice and I wasn't sure what this was about until he asked me to lift the bonnet. I can assure you that I haven't lifted a bonnet that heavy in a very long time. I think that was the only time I felt he was trying to sell a separator. He said the body shell was build like a railway coach. I believe him.
Old 17th August 2021, 21:46   #165
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by umairalvi View Post
Is there a way to perform a software update for the maps in the in built navigation system of the Tucson?
This makes me wonder if there's a way to manually check for updates and do the same on my own.
Very good question! I also checked and no one knows. For now, I am just using Google maps via Apple CarPlay and ignoring the built in navigation.

Most Viewed