Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd October 2020, 15:08   #16
BHPian

Re: 2020 Hyundai Tucson Facelift Review : 2.0L Diesel with 8-speed AT

Test drove this a few months ago when the TD vehicles just came in as a replacement for my Creta. Drives really well and I like the looks, but the interior just feels too dated for me and I dropped it from consideration. Still, the most value for money and all round package in the ~30L SUV segment. Also, with the 2021 Tucson announced, its a hard sell to buy this now.
Old 23rd October 2020, 16:23   #17
BHPian

If the year-end discounts amount to 2-3L, this car (especially the AWD variant) has the goods to disturb higher variants of Harrier diesel auto. Jeep Compass (barring the trailhawk) doesn't make sense anymore.
Easily the best looking Hyundai in our market, very understated and classy looking both from outside and inside. Will age well.
Old 23rd October 2020, 19:32   #18
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Nice review of a lovely crossover . I love the Tucson! But it has no brand recall when someone with 25 - 30 lakhs is out shopping. No one really thinks of the Tucson.

Have experienced Hyundai-Kia's 8-speed AT in the Carnival and I can tell you it's a brilliant gearbox.

Quote:
Originally Posted by d3mon View Post
T-BHP: Hyundai new design language is terrible.

Also T-BHP: The Tucson is too old and dated, and needs to be updated.
Good one. On a serious note, you can wear contemporary + clean clothes, both. Doesn't have to be either / or.
GTO is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 24th October 2020, 01:44   #19
Senior - BHPian

Launching an outdated model is never gonna work. The Tucson is a great product but Hyundai must bring in the new generation.
McLaren Rulez is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 24th October 2020, 04:05   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMG Power View Post
It's a bit late to the party. The 2021 Tucson is already out.
I think majority of the car manufacturers are late to the party in India. However, this is one party I'm sure Indians will forgive Hyundai for being late too since not too many people have taste for the new funky design philosophy that Hyundai has now adopted.

If you want a reliable, powerful, elegant looking car for the corporate executive in you to go to meetings in, this is your last chance to get your hands on a new smart-looking Tucson. But if you're looking to buy it for your college-going kid who likes standing out in the college parking lot or probably pulling in the opposite sex to take for a quick spin, or maybe even for getting accolades on how unique his/her design sense is, it's better to wait for the next-gen Tucson to arrive.

Last edited by Starfire : 24th October 2020 at 04:08.
Starfire is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th October 2020, 05:59   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guna View Post
If someone is looking for a 30 lac SUV, Tucson is still a practical choice. Something like Karoq may have more upmarket interior or nicer to drive but in Tucson you get more space, reliability, diesel economy, AWD and rear independent suspension (not sure if it gets reclinable rear seats).
It absolutely does have rear reclining seats, which can be set to multiple levels to get a super comfort for the passenger. Probably the best recline in the business barring the uber luxury barges.
fhdowntheline is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 24th October 2020, 07:10   #22
MAS
Senior - BHPian

Amazing detailed review Thank you!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aditya View Post
Coming to cruisability, at 100 km/h in 8th gear, the engine is spinning at a lazy ~1,450 rpm and at 120 km/h, it is just above 1,750 rpm.
Such tall gear ratios make highway cruising effortless. I want to upgrade to a Tucson just for this one reason

Quote:
The 8-speed torque converter transmission is smooth-shifting. Drive with a light foot and it will shift up at just over 1,500 rpm. It’s overall a very refined experience & your passengers won't even notice the changing gears. Want to overtake? Floor the accelerator & the gearbox responds in a reasonably quick time. The transmission is never jerky, even if you get aggressive with it. The gearbox works well on the highway as well, since the AT downshifts eagerly when you step on the throttle. I didn’t encounter a single situation where the gearbox got confused or was hunting for gears. This is an extremely competent gearbox. Manual mode has been provided, but what we really missed are steering-mounted paddle shifters! It's the only fly-in-the-ointment of an otherwise flawless AT.
The above says a lot about how Hyundai engineers have worked hard to mate the 2.0 L diesel to the new 8 speed Torque Converter. 4 years back when i wanted to pick up the Creta AT, the 6 Speed Torque Converter was a disaster to drive. I picked up the brilliant Creta MT.
MAS is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th October 2020, 08:49   #23
BHPian

Great Review! I was waiting for this since launch. The Tucson is a great allrounder, it is spacious and practical, has a powerful engine, all wheel drive, etc. As compared to Karoq, Compass, etc., it seems a better value proposition. But, when compared to its own cheaper sibling Creta, it loses some of its charm because of the lack of feel good features e.g., ventilated seats, paddle shifters, the larger touch screen, digital instrument cluster, etc.
As a flagship Hyundai product and as a premium urban crossover, it got to have all what Creta has to offer and much more e.g., radar based driving aids as in the new Tucson launched worldwide.
Hopefully the new Tucson arrives in India soon as the fully loaded one with not much of a price increase and with the fantastic 2.0 crdi with AWD.
It's the car to buy for me as my next car.
Old 24th October 2020, 09:39   #24
Senior - BHPian

Tucson was always one of the better riding and handling products coming out of Hyundai. Good to see the facelift coming in, maybe for a short time before the new Tucson wafts in, but still, I personally feel it is priced quite well considering it's a CKD and comes with an AWD option as well compared to the obscenely priced Toyota Fortuner.
Possibly one of the last cars to retain the classy analogue dials in its instrument cluster?? Am sure the new Tucson will come with all the "bling-bling" digital stuff ! S-i-g-h!
arjab is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 24th October 2020, 11:44   #25
Distinguished - BHPian

Surprised they launched this facelift, when the next generation model is already out in the rest of the world. This one has very dated interiors and is totally out of sync with the refreshed image Hyundai has promoted in the India, with the new launches such as the Creta and Venue, which are based on newer generation design language. Generally, Hyundai brings its latest models to India fairly fast and with the smaller cars, we get it even before the ROW does or even earlier. Which is what makes this ultra-late launch very surprising. I drove this car over 5 years ago as a rental when in the US and found the build to be too light and tinny. With the newer launches such as the new Creta, Hyundai is actually building back some strength to its body panels etc. and this is another aspect that may deter buyers shelling out around 30 lakhs rupees. For a little bit more money one can get a Tiguan Allspace or a Kodiaq which feel much more modern and well built.
Old 24th October 2020, 11:49   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjab View Post
Possibly one of the last cars to retain the classy analogue dials in its instrument cluster?? Am sure the new Tucson will come with all the "bling-bling" digital stuff ! S-i-g-h!
Agreed 100%! I also hate the digital dials, they can never have the finesse and charm of analogue dials!
Unless of course they put 4K 120hz screens in place of cheap looking present ones!
Old 24th October 2020, 11:59   #27
Senior - BHPian

A few folks have been referring to the Tucson as Hyundai's flagship SUV.

As an FYI, The Tucson is NOT Hyundai's flagship SUV.

Above the Tucson sits the Santa Fe:

2020 Hyundai Tucson Facelift Review : 2.0L Diesel with 8-speed AT-3image.jpeg

And above the Santa Fe is Hyundai's flagship SUV the Palisade:

2020 Hyundai Tucson Facelift Review : 2.0L Diesel with 8-speed AT-1image.jpeg
AMG Power is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 24th October 2020, 12:29   #28
BHPian

Superb review. Ventilated seats and the paddle shifters shouldn’t have been missed in this facelift. Does the DPF Regen show up in the MID and is there an option to trigger it?
Also with the fuel lid lever gone, does it open up with every press of the central lock?

Quote:
Driving the 2.0L Diesel AT

The 14L DEF tank:
Attachment 2070862
Old 24th October 2020, 13:11   #29
BHPian

Being the owner of the previous-gen Tucson, all I can say is the 8-speed transmission looks top-notch from a technical point of view. The spare wheel should have been a full-size alloy as in my car. When shelling out such amounts one would expect a full-size alloy. The Ventilated seats are a big miss. Why Hyundai? The rest of the car looks pretty decent. I am not a fan of the new design language coming out from Hyundai. But that's a personal opinion. Oh and yes the all black interior looks premium. Wish i had them in my car as well.
The sales volume should be 100-120 units per month. But during these times those figures look impossible.
Liverpool is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th October 2020, 16:42   #30
BHPian

How does this fair against the Harrier ? Harrier is leaps and bounds ahead in design langaugae but what about refinement / engine performance ?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks