Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th October 2020, 18:30   #31
BHPian

Re: 2020 Hyundai Tucson Facelift Review : 2.0L Diesel with 8-speed AT

Really like this generation of the Tucson. With the facelift they made it even more mature and appealing. It's sad we don't see many of these on the roads.
Old 24th October 2020, 19:53   #32
Senior - BHPian

Having driven the new Tucson for a bit during my recent shopping venture, I felt that one would not be very comfortable with the gearbox performance in the city. With such a stretched out transmission, it may not be silky smooth in stop-go conditions unless one keeps it in Eco mode. It is better suited for highway trips on the whole.
Old 24th October 2020, 19:54   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by d3mon View Post
T-BHP: Hyundai new design language is terrible.
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/india...-language.html (What do you think of Hyundai's new design language?)

Also T-BHP: The Tucson is too old and dated, and needs to be updated.

Personally, I like the current Tucson's design, especially compared to the new-gen monstrosity.
Also T-BHP - the 15 year old unchanged Polo / Vento is super timeless.

Stribog is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th October 2020, 21:34   #34
BHPian

I feel that it's a shame that this facelift doesn't get all the bells and whistles of the new Creta. I guess we'd have to wait till 2022 for all those features in the Tuscon. I agree with other members that it's the same step motherly treatment by Hyundai for Tuscon. Wonder when we will see Hyundai going all gun blazing for the segments above Creta.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 24th October 2020 at 22:02. Reason: Removing unwanted capitalising of words. Please use only where necessary.
Old 25th October 2020, 02:48   #35
BHPian

While it may lack the swanky new features of the Creta, it certainly looks much better than the other hyundais on offer. But, the fact that the next gen is already out abroad, and the premium price tag will make sure that it's a slow seller.Some festive discounts may sweeten the deal though.
Old 25th October 2020, 09:28   #36

Mod Note : Please do NOT post messages that add little or no informational value to the thread. We need your co-operation to maintain the quality of this forum. We advise you to read the Forum Rules before proceeding any further. Request to post ONLY when you have something substantial to add to a discussion.

Last edited by GTO : 25th October 2020 at 14:19.
TwinTurbo is online now   Received Infraction
Old 25th October 2020, 10:45   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gallardo_17 View Post
I feel that it's a shame that this facelift doesn't get all the bells and whistles of the new Creta. I guess we'd have to wait till 2022 for all those features in the Tuscon. I agree with other members that it's the same step motherly treatment by Hyundai for Tuscon. Wonder when we will see Hyundai going all gun blazing for the segments above Creta.
The 2022 Tucson with all the bells and Whistles will easily be priced around INR 36-38 Lakhs on road. For someone who enjoys driving, the engine- gearbox combo especially with the 8-speed AT is very competent and fun to drive, both in the city and on the highway. All black theme looks sophisticated, even though old school. Features like Panoramic sunroof, Tyre pressure monitoring system being standard across variants coupled with Hyundai offering 3 years maintenance included in the on road price makes it a very sweet deal. In the ride and handling department too, Hyundai has come a long way, no longer a boat on the highway. Even a INR 2-3 Lac discount towards year end will make it a good deal as an excellent all rounder against the likes of the cramped compass and the Tiguan which is no longer competition with the all space variant retailing at INR 41 Lakh on road in Mumbai.

Last edited by RJ2285 : 25th October 2020 at 10:45. Reason: Typo
RJ2285 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th October 2020, 13:18   #38
BHPian

For BHP-ians going to be grossly offended by my upcoming comparison, I apologise in advance.

However,

The BMW X1, from a 2L, in-line 4 Turbo Diesel, produces 188 horses and 400 Nm, puts it down via an 8-speed ZF torque converter driving the front wheels.

The Tuscon, from a 2L, in-line 4 Turbo Diesel, produces 182 horses and 400 Nm, puts it down via an 8-speed torque converter driving all wheels.

The Tuscon is longer, wider and taller. What remains the same between the two is the wheelbase and the 225 section tyres.

The Tuscon also costs ~15L lesser than the X1.

WHY the Tuscon doesn't sell well here, is simply beyond me. Yes, I get the 'draw' of the German Big Three and the under-the-skin engineering details and unquestionable quality but I would counter that with reliability issues, ownership costs and the thinness of service network, which IMHO is more important here, on our roads, in our conditions.

Purely based on a game of Top-Trumps, the Tuscon takes the cake.
Singh101 is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 25th October 2020, 18:11   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Singh101 View Post
For BHP-ians going to be grossly offended by my upcoming comparison, I apologise in advance.

However,

The BMW X1, from a 2L, in-line 4 Turbo Diesel, produces 188 horses and 400 Nm, puts it down via an 8-speed ZF torque converter driving the front wheels.

The Tuscon, from a 2L, in-line 4 Turbo Diesel, produces 182 horses and 400 Nm, puts it down via an 8-speed torque converter driving all wheels.

The Tuscon is longer, wider and taller. What remains the same between the two is the wheelbase and the 225 section tyres.

WHY the Tuscon doesn't sell well here, is simply beyond me. Yes, I get the 'draw' of the German Big Three and the under-the-skin engineering details and unquestionable quality but I would counter that with reliability issues, ownership costs and the thinness of service network, which IMHO is more important here, on our roads, in our conditions.

Thankfully, car buying has not evolved into a 100% rational buying process- else everyone would be buying Hyundai, Kia and Maruti. People choose brands and models that appeal to the heart too.

Also, brand Hyundai still has negligible appeal to those willing to plump 30 lakhs on a car.
achyutaghosh is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 25th October 2020, 19:34   #40
Senior - BHPian

In my view, all cars sold in India costing upward of 20 lac are priced about 20% -25% higher than they should be, courtesy the ridiculous taxation and duty structure.

Bring all cars like Tucson, Compass below the 25 lac category and we will see the real numbers.
fhdowntheline is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 25th October 2020, 19:40   #41
BHPian

Quote:

Apart from the Better driving dynamics, X1 is more appealing and obviously has that snob value. It's a car many people dream to own . When presented with an opportunity to spend 10 lakhs more and get a BMW , I doubt anyone is going to miss that opportunity. These decisions are taken by heart and not mind. X1 has an aspirational value and that's the reason it's selling .
Gallardo_17 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th October 2020, 21:26   #42

Thanks for the great write-up Aditya. I am a new member in the forum and I have a 2018 Tucson CRDI AT in my garage as one of my cars. I must say that it is a great machine and living with it has been absolutely wonderful! The 400 NM of torque and the smooth AT have never disappointed me and it is certainly worth the money I had paid 2 years back. Yes agreed that it should have had some additional features at this price point such as ventilated seats (Elantra has it for the past 2 years) etc. however it is still worth the consideration if the budget is up to 30 Lacs for a CKD vehicle. Posting a few pictures of my machine

2020 Hyundai Tucson Facelift Review : 2.0L Diesel with 8-speed AT-at_hampi.jpg

2020 Hyundai Tucson Facelift Review : 2.0L Diesel with 8-speed AT-at_shivanasamudram.jpg

2020 Hyundai Tucson Facelift Review : 2.0L Diesel with 8-speed AT-at_teerthahalli.jpg
g_sanjib is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 25th October 2020, 21:48   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by achyutaghosh View Post
Thankfully, car buying has not evolved into a 100% rational buying process- else everyone would be buying Hyundai, Kia and Maruti.
We already do. Even entry-level "affordable" vehicles by these premium brands are so awfully overpriced, they're hardly a few percentage points of the total car sales in the country. Car buying, unless you have padded pockets is always going to be highly methodical and logical.

I did mention the draw of these coveted German brands and I understand "The heart wants what it wants", but it's not worth 15L. Not to me anyway, knowing that in a fairer market like the UK, both these cars are worth 30-odd thousand pounds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gallardo_17 View Post
Apart from the Better driving dynamics, X1 is more appealing and obviously has that snob value. It's a car many people dream to own . When presented with an opportunity to spend 10 lakhs more and get a BMW , I doubt anyone is going to miss that opportunity. These decisions are taken by heart and not mind. X1 has an aspirational value and that's the reason it's selling .
As someone who's fond of cars (cars, not badges), this hurts my brain.

I mentioned above that in markets like the UK where the concept of taxation is not executed like a burning dumpster fire, both these vehicles compete in the same segment and price bracket.

If you had been hyping the driving dynamics of a RWD 3 or their xDrive, I'd be right there with you. In a FWD crossover however, if your tyres are squealing, you're probably understeering into a hedge. I'd take the AWD Hyundai, personally.

Both the appeal and snob value of the X1 comes from the blue & white propeller on the front and rear, which us Indians attach way too much importance to. Absolutely not worth a million and a half rupees, IMO. The X1 should offer a lot more than a shiny badge (like the 320d/330i being RWD saloons over the FWD VRS, hence being justifiable) for that much money.

To each their own, though! Cheers!
Singh101 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 25th October 2020, 21:53   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aditya View Post
Thread moved out from the Assembly Line.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guna View Post
If someone is looking for a 30 lac SUV, Tucson is still a practical choice. Something like Karoq may have more upmarket interior or nicer to drive but in Tucson you get more space, reliability, diesel economy, AWD and rear independent suspension (not sure if it gets reclinable rear seats). Only reason (other reason for me would be the lackluster steering) for not going for this SUV is that the new model is around corner. But the year end discount of 2-3 lacs can make it an attractive purchase for many.
Yes certainly and I completely agree. I too had bought my Tucson in Sept 2018 with the same thought and I have not felt disappointed so far. IMHO, the Tucson will have a great chance to sell if its features are compared with SUVs of one segment above such as the Endeavour, Kodiaq etc.. The difference of price will justify the worthiness of the Tucson and it will be worth the purchase. That is why I believe that the Tucson is 90% of BMW X1 at 70% of the price of X1
g_sanjib is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th October 2020, 00:05   #45
PPS
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
X1 comes with an Aisin gearbox, so does the recently launched 2 series.
PPS is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks