Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th October 2020, 09:38   #46
BHPian

Re: 2020 Hyundai Tucson Facelift Review : 2.0L Diesel with 8-speed AT

Quote:
Originally Posted by PPS View Post
X1 comes with an Aisin gearbox, so does the recently launched 2 series.
I stand corrected! For some reason I was under the impression that if it's a BMW with an 8-speed autobox, it'll be ZF sourced.

The mere mention of the 2-series makes me want to write a page long rant about it. I'll just say this- a small, FWD saloon car is not worth forty-five lakh rupees.
Singh101 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th October 2020, 01:13   #47
BHPian

I love the elegance and perfect-for-4 size of this car. Have this on my shortlist as an aspirational buy some years down the line.

Quote:
Originally Posted by g_sanjib View Post
I have a 2018 Tucson CRDI AT in my garage as one of my cars. I must say that it is a great machine and living with it has been absolutely wonderful! The 400 NM of torque and the smooth AT have never disappointed me and it is certainly worth the money I had paid 2 years back.
Ping me if you decide to sell yours in 4-5 years time
batladanny is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 27th October 2020, 08:16   #48
BHPian

I had called Modi Hyundai to check if there are any discounts being offered on the Tucson. On the phone he said INR 60k dealer discount.

I am sure with the festive season round the corner and towards the year end/Jan 2021, they will belt out discounts and many customers who are thoroughly convinced with the value proposition of the Tucson vis-à-vis the german rivals will definitely get a sweet deal.
RJ2285 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st October 2020, 18:03   #49
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Singh101 View Post
For BHP-ians going to be grossly offended by my upcoming comparison, I apologise in advance.

WHY the Tuscon doesn't sell well here, is simply beyond me. Yes, I get the 'draw' of the German Big Three and the under-the-skin engineering details and unquestionable quality but I would counter that with reliability issues, ownership costs and the thinness of service network, which IMHO is more important here, on our roads, in our conditions.

Purely based on a game of Top-Trumps, the Tuscon takes the cake.
In developing countries, there is concept called "Price perception" of Brands. That is to say, people see various brands in certain price range. For example MSIL < 10 L cars, Toyota 20 to 30 L, Honda around 10 L, German trio over 20 L, Hyundai < 15 L etc. based on their past and current performance of various models.

If manufacturers launch any new model, they should not jump above "Price perception" by wide margin (unless purpose is special) otherwise people will reject those new models initially and then it would be very difficult to regain good share in that model segment.

Also 70% of people buys car based on road presence, basic comparison, not going deep into BHP, Torques etc. while only 30%, like most of T-Bhpians, buys cars based on all round comparison based on truth worth.

I am also an average Joe hence I would compare Tucson more with Harrier, Compass, Hector etc. than German trio like you did. Hence I find it more costly than models I am comparing it with. This is my analysis and that's why Tucson failed (and also hatches, sedans for Toyota, SUVs for Honda, More than 15 L cars for MSIL etc.) even if Hyundai is strong brand in India.
arzala is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2020, 11:19   #50
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Sometimes, I take a car out just to appreciate its engineering, and of course know how it stands versus the competition:
2020 Hyundai Tucson Facelift Review : 2.0L Diesel with 8-speed AT-dsc04686.jpg

This engine and gearbox combination are better than what I see in 70-lakh rupee Land Rovers / Range Rovers! If I give BMW's ZF gearbox a 10 on 10 rating, I will give Hyundai's 8-speed gearbox an 8.5 / 10. It's pretty darn impressive, smooth & reasonably quick. Not once in the 200 km that I spent with her over the weekend did she choose the wrong gear. Not once.

Fairly quick and responsive steering as well. Well-tuned suspension; it's been a while since I drove the pre-facelift, but this one has sorted manners. That said, it's not as "tight" or the rear end "planted" like the new Creta's at high speed. If I have one complaint, it's with the dead and wooden brake pedal.

Excellent sound system - very bass heavy, just the way I like it. This car blows the Honda CR-V out of the water. I would pick the Tucson any day over the Honda.

I like the exterior styling, although it looks more "2017" than "2020". The main thing that's going to work against the car is that it feels very vanilla on the inside. In the same showroom, the potential customer will sit in the cheaper Creta and go "wow", but the Tucson's cabin feels old / boring.

Hyundai and Kia are becoming extremely capable in terms of engineering depth and product development. I'll put them way ahead of the Japanese & Indian competition. If I have to compare Hyundai-Kia, I'd only do so to the German manufacturers. Think about it: who else is giving smooth AMTs, the IMT, dual-clutch ATs, turbo-petrols, 8-speed ATs and what not in the market? Their execution is flawless - almost every engine & gearbox of theirs has left an impression on me.

2020 Hyundai Tucson Facelift Review : 2.0L Diesel with 8-speed AT-dsc04692.jpg
GTO is offline   (53) Thanks
Old 6th November 2020, 12:36   #51
BHPian

booked Blue Tucson AWD. waiting for delivery.

existing car Jetta diesel , 2013, manual

Other Cars considered

Jeep, felt cramped. (should have taken test drive as well.)

Ford Endeavour, loved it. but this would have forced me to keep a small car as well for city. plus the 170 BHP was just not enough for 2.3 ton monster. in city, i felt it is trying too hard to move the mass and running out of steam. was still tempted.

Mercedes GLC, . loved it, but just could not digest the price. though i did try to convince myself many times

not considered - X1, Q3, XC40. felt i would pay only for badge. real fun starts with next level of BMW, Audi etc.

Superb - i would have bought this if Bangalore had better roads

Why Tucson -
1. Engine and gearbox combo. it was just much better to drive.
2. handling not as good as Jetta but probably very close.
3. better service network. i do a lot of long drives. it was scary when my VW jetta clutch got stuck on the road near Murudeshwar. with Hundai, i should be able to get better support outside large cities.

hope i get better resale than VW. planning to use it for 2 or 3 years

hate the all black interiors. but i have no complain with features offered.

Question do people drive with stock tyres or upgrade them? 2013 Jetta was delivered with such pathetic tyres that i had to replace them within 2 months.

Last edited by rahulv : 6th November 2020 at 12:39. Reason: adding one question
rahulv is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 8th November 2020, 01:28   #52
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahulv View Post
Hi, what was the delivery time you were quoted? For my booking, I was told 7-8 weeks (Diesel 2WD). It's now been 6 weeks and no car in sight.
QuadraticAmoeba is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th November 2020, 12:14   #53

Yes, GTO I cannot agree with you any more on this. You stole my unspoken thought. I own the 2018 Tucson CRDI AT model and when I compare it with my 2010 Honda City, the brakes in the City are far better than what the Tucson has. I at times wonder if automakers keep a check on forums such as these, so as to get a first-hand feel of how their products are faring against the competition. And I really don't think so, else these defects would have got improved in this latest version. Any which ways the Tucson is a great vehicle to drive and completely worth the money being spent on it.

Quote:
Many congratulations on your booking this fantastic vehicle. Hope you have a great time and several joyful miles.

I own the 2018 Tucson CRDI AT and I haven't felt the need to change/upgrade the tires. It came fitted with the stock Nexen Tires and they have been performing very well in both city and highway driving conditions. I have always filled them with Nitrogen 33 Psi inside the city and prefer to have 35 Psi for the highway drives. Also, one of the tires got flattened during the first few months of ownership itself, due to a sidewall damage and that’s when I realized that the replacement would cost a whopping 25K minimum. Hence didn’t feel the need of any tire upgrades so far.

Last edited by Aditya : 1st December 2020 at 21:57. Reason: Back to back posts merged. Quote inserted
g_sanjib is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 8th November 2020, 16:22   #54
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post

This engine and gearbox combination are better than what I see in 70-lakh rupee Land Rovers / Range Rovers! If I give BMW's ZF gearbox a 10 on 10 rating, I will give Hyundai's 8-speed gearbox an 8.5 / 10. It's pretty darn impressive, smooth & reasonably quick. Not once in the 200 km that I spent with her over the weekend did she choose the wrong gear. Not once.

Fairly quick and responsive steering as well. Well-tuned suspension; it's been a while since I drove the pre-facelift, but this one has sorted manners.

Excellent sound system - very bass heavy, just the way I like it. This car blows the Honda CR-V out of the water. I would pick the Tucson any day over the Honda.

Attachment 2075336
Thank you GTO for sharing your driving impressions. I was waiting for your view.
I am an “engine” person and you have helped me freeze my next upgrade. The interiors of the new Creta look too busy for my liking and with too much tech and features like ventilated seats etc in cars off late, in our kind of climate, I keep wondering how these cars will age, despite peace of mind ownership owing to the extended warranty.

I would personally be more happy with an excellent engine + gearbox combo coupled with a well-tuned suspension, all black decent looking interiors and excellent exterior styling.

Last edited by RJ2285 : 8th November 2020 at 16:28.
Old 8th November 2020, 18:08   #55
BHPian

The top model costs approximately 33/36 lakhs on road in India. For about 6/8 lakhs more, one can easily get the Mini countryman with the stonker 190bhp diesel or petrol. Besides the 6/8 lakhs doesn't mean much if one buys on EMI. Even otherwise bmw has a decent program where in one is assured of a minimum 16/17 lakh buyback after 4 years. The Tucson meanwhile may sell for peanuts due lacklusture sales.
Old 9th November 2020, 11:57   #56
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuadraticAmoeba View Post
Hi, what was the delivery time you were quoted? For my booking, I was told 7-8 weeks (Diesel 2WD). It's now been 6 weeks and no car in sight.
4WD was i think 1 week less. also some colors are easy to get. but still 5-6 weeks of wait

i guess the car may be selling more than Hyundai thought. so it is messing their production calculation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirbusCapt View Post
The top model costs approximately 33/36 lakhs on road in India. For about 6/8 lakhs more, one can easily get the Mini countryman with the stonker 190bhp diesel or petrol. Besides the 6/8 lakhs doesn't mean much if one buys on EMI.
it is 33 something on road in bangalore.6/8 lakh more is a never ending temptation. notice my temptation took me all the way to GLC,

plus i needed some boot space and support in small cities also.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirbusCapt View Post
Even otherwise bmw has a decent program where in one is assured of a minimum 16/17 lakh buyback after 4 years. The Tucson meanwhile may sell for peanuts due lacklusture sales.
resale value part is scary for me also.

X1 "for me" is not a Beemer. only carries that badge. plus to get 16/17 buyback, you need to keep the car in showcase. not sure but you can't cross 30k in that assured by back. at merc that number is 10k

if you have only city drive and not too many km to do, it will make sense.

Last edited by moralfibre : 1st December 2020 at 14:21. Reason: Back to back posts. Please use the EDIT / Multi-QUOTE function within 30 minutes of posting.
rahulv is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th November 2020, 20:37   #57
BHPian

Quote:
4WD was i think 1 week less. also some colors are easy to get. but still 5-6 weeks of wait

i guess the car may be selling more than Hyundai thought. so it is messing their production calculation.
I am finally getting my hands on the car, hopefully in the next few days. Have you already gotten hold of yours? What has been your experience thus far?

I have some questions that more experienced folks may kindly advise on:

- is it ok to drive a car with a "REGD" number plate, while the HSRP number plates are being prepared?

- I am currently not planning any accessories for the car (other than the included mats and Ganesha). I am considering getting a ceramic coating done since the car is in black colour and Bangalore is very dusty. Is this a good idea? Any recommendations on a good place in Bangalore? If it helps, I stay in the HAL area.

- The car will be parked in the basement (covered from rain but not from dust, etc.). I have bought a Jopasu duster and some microfibre cloths. Do I need any thing else? I assume dusting with the Jopasu, washing with plain water and then drying with the microfibre cloth is good enough. Am I correct?

- Another accessory I am thinking about is a dashcam. Is this a good idea? I am not good at DIY stuff, so is there a good recommended shop where I can get it done?

- the FASTag will be from ICICI, it seems. I would much prefer it to be from PayTM. Can I close the ICICI one and get a new one from PayTM?
QuadraticAmoeba is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th November 2020, 17:22   #58
BHPian

Quote:
I am finally getting my hands on the car, hopefully in the next few days. Have you already gotten hold of yours? What has been your experience thus far?
congratulations. i will get it soon. waiting for call. it has been dispatched from chennai.

Quote:
- is it ok to drive a car with a "REGD" number plate, while the HSRP number plates are being prepared?
yup, my friend did it. i am getting a temp registration just for that purpose

Quote:
- I am currently not planning any accessories for the car (other than the included mats and Ganesha). I am considering getting a ceramic coating done since the car is in black colour and Bangalore is very dusty. Is this a good idea? Any recommendations on a good place in Bangalore? If it helps, I stay in the HAL area.

[
i also need answer for ceramic coating. there is a discussion thread on that topic. worth a search
rahulv is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th November 2020, 03:53   #59
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

Quote:
Originally Posted by g_sanjib View Post
Thanks for the great write-up Aditya. I am a new member in the forum and I have a 2018 Tucson CRDI AT in my garage as one of my cars. I must say that it is a great machine and living with it has been absolutely wonderful! The 400 NM of torque and the smooth AT have never disappointed me and it is certainly worth the money I had paid 2 years back.
Ya. Totally agree. I used to travel in my colleague’s Tucson to office. This SUV is spacious, comfortable, powerful and with the 6-AT it was very very smooth as well as punchy(torquey). All round a very good & luxurious SUV. This was the car where I experienced the panoramic sunroof for the first time and it is really awesome.
Napalm is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th November 2020, 14:22   #60
BHPian

I have gotten some more information, hence adding some details here in the hope that it might help others. Apologies for replying to myself.

Quote:
After some research and talking to many people, I have a better understanding of the process. Below is my understanding, please correct me if I am wrong.

Here is one document that I referred to.

- For a new vehicle, the default today is to go for a permanent registration. I read some news about temporary registrations being illegal since July of 2020.

- The process starts with the dealer uploading a file to the RTO. Note this usually happens only after full payment. This was done on day 1 (I am excluding weekends and holidays).

- The dealer will then pay the road tax, and a receipt for the same will be generated. Typically, you should get an SMS from the VAAHAN portal with the application number and amount. Take note of this number. This was on day 2.

- If you have applied for a fancy / custom number, the number will be blocked at this point. For me, I had opted for something called a "running series number". This means that I could choose any number in next 50 or 100 numbers from the current series (minus the truly fancy numbers). I am not sure if this is an official service from the RTO or simply an informal arrangement between the dealer and the RTO. In any case, I got a call from the dealer giving me the numbers to choose from. I had 10 min to choose a number. I was advised that the farther from the current number that I chose, the longer I would have to wait for the registration, since the queue has to "catch up" to that point. My wife (who wanted a multiple of nine) chose a number nearby. This number was "blocked" for me according to the dealer. All this was also on day 2.

- At this point, I knew the number my car would have, but it was still illegal to drive it since the registration was not currently done yet.

- The next steps are all in the RTO, and the amount of time taken depends on the specific RTO as well as the backlog of registrations that they have. For me, it was the Bangalore Indiranagar RTO, which the dealer said was on the faster side.

- The RTO will inspect (virtually, there is no actual inspection of the vehicle), verify and approve the registration. You can follow the process at the Vaahan website by entering the application number from the tax paid receipt.

- Once the approval is done, the registration number is actually allocated to your vehicle. You should get an SMS with the details. At this point, you can check the vehicle details in mParivahan or on the Vaahan website, as well as download the virtual RC. This was on day 3 for me (though with 3-4 days in between days 2 and 3 due to holidays and the weekend).

- It is legal to drive the vehicle at this point. I was advised to print out the licence number and stick on it the front and back windshields.

- The number then goes to an RTO contractor for printing of HSRP (High Speed Registration Plates). This can take anywhere from a week to a month. I will update on the timelines since I have not received this yet.

- The system will also print an RC smart card as a physical RC copy. This process apparently takes 1-2 months and the card will be delivered to your address by registered speed post.

Quote:
- the FASTag will be from ICICI, it seems. I would much prefer it to be from PayTM. Can I close the ICICI one and get a new one from PayTM?
I decided to go with ICICI since the dealer convinced me that it's pretty easy to operate. It was easy to login to their website and recharge my wallet there. It did take them 4 days to send an SMS acknowledging that. Let's see how it fares when I actually use the FASTag.
QuadraticAmoeba is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks