Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th April 2022, 23:31   #466
Senior - BHPian

Re: 2020 Hyundai Tucson Facelift Review : 2.0L Diesel with 8-speed AT

Folks,

Background:
After much confusion, consideration and deliberation a friend has come very close to finalising on a Tucson Diesel. He has one concern: brakes on the the diesel version. He says that the ones on his test drive vehicle were inadequate. Just might be an issue with the TD vehicle. There is only one diesel Tucson in Delhi which moves between dealers, so not being able to TD another piece. He had no complaints on the petrol, which left us wondering if the 6 speed GB on the petrol vs the 8 speed on the diesel could influence engine braking enough to be the reason. I would not imagine it to be a big enough factor.

Question:
How effective are the brakes on the Diesel Tucson? Do any of the owners find them inadequate?

I don't want him to lose out on a vehicle he otherwise likes and one which suits he needs well, due to insufficent information and confidence on it's brakes.

Last edited by Poitive : 28th April 2022 at 23:33. Reason: Refinement.
Old 29th April 2022, 03:20   #467
BHPian

Re: Another Tucson in Team-BHP

Quote:
Originally Posted by shady8701 View Post
I see. I should probably check this. Maybe I just never waited around for 15 seconds and assumed that they do not fold back.

It automatically folds back in my Elantra 2016 and the puddle lamps too turn off after that time range but if it doesn’t work in yours, you could once try toggling the welcome lights function on/off from the MID setting screen. Welcome lights essentially being the puddle lamps.
TechSavvy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th April 2022, 05:25   #468
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poitive View Post
Question:
How effective are the brakes on the Diesel Tucson? Do any of the owners find them inadequate?
I’ve had the diesel Tucson for a while now and the brakes are definitely not inadequate, either in city or highway conditions.

But, the brake “feel” is inconsistent. Meaning, the feedback from the brake pedal is not very good. So, it “feels” like you are not pressing the brake pedal enough for the car to stop and you seem to want to press it more. But, actually the car is stopping perfectly fine. I have seen that many other BHPians have also observed this in their ownership reports. It is something that you get used to after a while.

Another thing to remember is that the diesel is about 100+ kgs more than the petrol. I have not read anywhere about the diesel having different brakes, so it stands to reason that the petrol’s braking performance would just naturally be better than the diesel.

So your friend was either observing the “brake feel” phenomenon, or the diesel TD car really had some brake issues.

This is what the official Team-BHP review says about the brakes for the diesel Tucson:
“The brakes are another strong point of the Tucson. The all-wheel discs do an excellent job and bring the Tucson to a stop quickly...without any drama. ABS with EBD works very well from high speeds and it is reassuring to know the vehicle will stop when you want it to. Area of improvement? The pedal feels spongy after the initial bite (this has been observed in other Hyundai cars too).”

Last edited by lordrayden : 29th April 2022 at 05:43. Reason: Typo
lordrayden is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 29th April 2022, 19:49   #469
BHPian

So, the Tucson AWD is booked. It was a hair raising experience, which is always a good thing for a bald person. And a bit of adrenalin rush. Here's the story.

Backstory We are selling our Fortuner 4x2 AT due to the NGT 10 year rule on Diesels. Research showed AWD Tucson as the ideal replacement. Ticks all the boxes of space, comfort, reliability, number of dealer outlets and service centres. Suddenly appears to be in great demand too, which is very reassuring. Did not TD any other car.

What did I book? Black AWD. My original choice was silver, then white.

The big scare When we went to book, the dealer Lamba Hyundai, Malviyanagar, Delhi, checked for availability before collecting the booking amount. He was told that they had stopped manufacturing the AWD and it will restart at some point. As such, no AWDs are available! Can someone please confirm this?

Of course, that resulted in complete pandemonium. Other dealerships were contacted for availability. The only ones available were: 1 Black AWD, 1 White Diesel GLS. Petrols are not an issue apparently.

So I paid a booking amount of Rs. 5L and grabbed the 1 Black AWD.

What's next? They will confirm chassis number within a day or so and I should have the car in the next two or three days for a PDI. On registration front, apparently it is all online and they cannot even guarantee an odd number. Which is a bummer given the penchant of our mathematically inclined chief minister for odds and evens.

The black Tucson obviously will be a dust magnet, scratch magnet, basically a *.* magnet. Hence visited 3M Car Care, Adhchini to explore PPF. Two options were on offer (a) Self Healing PPF at 90K (b) Self healing with Ceramic Coating PPF for 110K. The give the car back the next day as they operate double shifts. You need to bring back the car in a week for inspection. So my plan is to compare a couple of others against this and then choose without over engineering or overthinking the process.

The Fortuner has been inspected by Spinny Max and they have offered 12.5 (2015 reg, 4x2 Auto Diesel) - I have asked them to offer their best price. Apparently, if you approach a dealer in Punjab, you can get better prices. So far the thought is to go with Spinny.

In closing I am speculating here. If Hyundai have stopped manufacturing the AWD, the general sentiment is that they will raise prices. There is now no confirmation of dates and it looks like 8-12 weeks waiting for the AWD from the point they start manufacturing. Fingers crossed and hopefully I will get a car! As Mr. Wodehouse might say, if not actually disgruntled, I was far from being gruntled with the whole thing.
xantia is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th April 2022, 21:40   #470
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by xantia View Post
So, the Tucson AWD is booked.

He was told that they had stopped manufacturing the AWD and it will restart at some point. As such, no AWDs are available! Can someone please confirm this?
Congratulations ! Wishing you many miles of happiness.

As per the SA I am in touch with, it's not a temporary stop. This is to make way for the next generation Tucson. It is more of a stock clearance (based on available kits that they have).
neel911 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th April 2022, 23:12   #471
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neel911 View Post
Congratulations ! Wishing you many miles of happiness.

As per the SA I am in touch with, it's not a temporary stop. This is to make way for the next generation Tucson. It is more of a stock clearance (based on available kits that they have).
Thank you neel911 for your wishes and also for this input. All indications are for the next generation to be available in Diwali later this year in that case.
Old 1st May 2022, 02:05   #472
BHPian

Quote:

2. Car unlock - when you move close to the car with the key in your pocket, the ORVMs open up and the lights inside the car door handles turn on. However, the car only really unlocks on pressing the request sensor on the door handle. If you do not do that, but just walk away, the ORVMs do not fold back. That, I think, is a miss since you could inadvertently just walk by and have the ORVMs open up without even noticing it.
It should lock. Takes around 10 seconds for me. You need to be a few few away as well, probably more than 6 feet or so.
Old 1st May 2022, 08:37   #473
BHPian

Quote:
please do provide inputs on whether I should go for a ceramic coating (I think PPF is crazy expensive in India right now). Even the ceramic coating feels like a bit of an overkill since cars would be just fine without as well.
I know lot of us have done Ceramic Coating + PPF (in some sections)... You can reach out for more info.
rave20 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st May 2022, 17:51   #474
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks a lot for reading through and if you've made it all the way here, please do provide inputs on whether I should go for a ceramic coating (I think PPF is crazy expensive in India right now). Even the ceramic coating feels like a bit of an overkill since cars would be just fine without as well.
Absolutely. Neither on the Tucson nor on any of the cars have we ever got any of the above done. And all our cars see some ridiculously high amount of running in a very short period in all kinds of weather and terrain.

To each his own, but I find these PPF and ceramic coating and what not all overkill. Cars will do just fine without them.
drhoneycake is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 1st May 2022, 18:25   #475
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by xantia View Post
If Hyundai have stopped manufacturing the AWD, the general sentiment is that they will raise prices. There is now no confirmation of dates and it looks like 8-12 weeks waiting for the AWD from the point they start manufacturing. Fingers crossed and hopefully I will get a car! As Mr. Wodehouse might say, if not actually disgruntled, I was far from being gruntled with the whole thing.
I was also interested in booking the tucson awd recently, one of my business associates also owns a hyundai dealership told me, awd production has stopped the new tucson should be launched in a few months. Whatever is available would be the ones with the dealers.

Last edited by Axe77 : 1st May 2022 at 21:42. Reason: Minor typo.
Born 2 Be Wild is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2022, 15:02   #476
BHPian

My first post on this forum and its my biggest dilemma now

Is there a micro-hybrid planned at launch of New Tucson? I paid booking amount in anticipation of this offering.
Old 2nd May 2022, 17:59   #477
R_R
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by atluri_rkc View Post
Is there a micro-hybrid planned at launch of New Tucson? I paid booking amount in anticipation of this offering.
AKAIK, Hyundai Tucson comes only with a regular hybrid and plug-in (PHEV) hybrid, so not sure what a micro-hybrid is (unless you mean the regular, non-plugged in hybrid). Would be terrific if they offer the hybrid version, which is actually more powerful. I think the hybrid loses the spare tire though, but I am not sure about this.
R_R is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2022, 18:20   #478
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by R_R View Post
AKAIK, Hyundai Tucson comes only with a regular hybrid and plug-in (PHEV) hybrid, so not sure what a micro-hybrid is (unless you mean the regular, non-plugged in hybrid). Would be terrific if they offer the hybrid version, which is actually more powerful. I think the hybrid loses the spare tire though, but I am not sure about this.
I doubt. The ones getting exported to Nepal and also the one in Australia only comes with Petrol/Diesel option (without Hybrid). The cost will also significantly go up.
Old 3rd May 2022, 18:56   #479
BHPian

Quote:
2. Car unlock - when you move close to the car with the key in your pocket, the ORVMs open up and the lights inside the car door handles turn on. However, the car only really unlocks on pressing the request sensor on the door handle. If you do not do that, but just walk away, the ORVMs do not fold back. That, I think, is a miss since you could inadvertently just walk by and have the ORVMs open up without even noticing it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gary View Post
It should lock. Takes around 10 seconds for me. You need to be a few few away as well, probably more than 6 feet or so.
This is a little bit surprising! I have a GL(O) petrol variant and the mirrors do not open until I press the request sensor button. Same with the lights inside. Not sure, but probably there are some settings for this in MID.

Last edited by Bhargav7 : 3rd May 2022 at 18:59.
Bhargav7 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2022, 20:28   #480
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhargav7 View Post
This is a little bit surprising! I have a GL(O) petrol variant and the mirrors do not open until I press the request sensor button. Same with the lights inside. Not sure, but probably there are some settings for this in MID.
I see this in the owners manual:

Name:  1DDEC1095F11498E8105F3DDA86BD827.jpeg
Views: 583
Size:  178.1 KB

Not sure if the GL(O) has this feature or not as “if equipped” is mentioned there.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks