Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th June 2022, 09:40   #526

Re: 2020 Hyundai Tucson Facelift Review : 2.0L Diesel with 8-speed AT

@drhoneycake :- Yes, with BLR traffic its 3rd-4th gear drive. I can feel the Gearbox feedback change if i drive on highways after a long city usage.
The same is true after a ECM reset.
In short any details of this ? Plus if multiple drivers use the car then ?
Old 25th June 2022, 10:26   #527
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by desidino View Post

A rather short selection process:
Tucson:
Pros:
Service network: Although within Uttarakhand, Tucson can be serviced only in Dehradun, Hyundai service network in Uttarakhand is much more extensive than Jeep. So, even though I won't be able to service Tucson at Hyundai's other service centers in Uttarakhand, it is comforting to know that there would be a service center not too far away to help me in case anything goes wrong.
Have you considered the negatives associated with owning a CKD version, especially since you are not based in a Tier 1 city?

My understanding is that it gets very difficult to get the spare parts for a CKD version, even for people based out of metro cities.

Quote:
10,000 km update:
the front left bumper was hit due to which the bumper got dislodged a bit. Upon taking the car to the service center, I found out that the fog lamp lock was broken. Apparently, there is no way to replace the lock as it is part of the bumper itself, so the entire bumper would have to be replaced. Since, it is not a major issue, I discussed with the service center executive and have left it as it is.
Was that part readily available in that service centre? If not, what was the ETA quoted?

I have shortlisted the upcoming Tuscon & Scorpio N (definitely top-end variants) in my vehicle search, and I am based out of a Tier 2 location (Kurnool, AP).

I love Tuscon and am willing to stretch my budget to whatever they quote for their top-end diesel variant. However, if the new Tuscon is a CKD variant, my biggest worry about going for it is the availability of spare parts.

With the above context, CKD is a deal-breaker for me. So, I plan to go for plan B, the new Scorpio N.

@experts: Please suggest if any of my assumptions are baseless or if there is a workaround to mange the CKD constraint. Thanks
KNL_Bandi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th June 2022, 18:02   #528
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KNL_Bandi View Post
@experts: Please suggest if any of my assumptions are baseless or if there is a workaround to mange the CKD constraint. Thanks
Not an expert, but I have some personal experience with CKD Hyundais. Hope it’s helpful.

We have a 2014 Elantra (also a CKD) in our family and till date we’ve not had any delays for parts involved in regular servicing. Last year the fuel line needed replacement. Even though it was a 7 year old discontinued previous generation model, we were able to get a replacement part within a day. We had to contact 3 different service centres, but we DID get it.

I have the recently discontinued Gen3 Tucson (that’s also a CKD), but I’ve had it for less than a year so it hasn’t needed any parts replacement.

In this thread I have read of other Gen3 Tucson owners having faced delays in getting NON-CRITICAL parts.

Except the Jeep Compass, all foreign manufacturers’ cars in this segment are CKDs with some localisation. The VW Tiguan, Citroen C5, Skoda Octavia, Skoda Kodiaq are all CKDs. So it’s par for the course if you are looking at this segment.
lordrayden is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 25th June 2022, 20:08   #529
BHPian

Quote:
Have you considered the negatives associated with owning a CKD version, especially since you are not based in a Tier 1 city?
Yes, CKD did weigh on my mind. But, on the flip side, the quality of CKD would be better. So, it was an acceptable risk to me.

Not sure if being based in a Tier 2 city would matter that much since the main bottleneck is getting the CKD part into the country.

Quote:
Was that part readily available in that service centre? If not, what was the ETA quoted?
I did not ask them about this since getting the whole bumper replaced over such a minor issue didn't make sense to me.
desidino is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 26th June 2022, 18:38   #530
BHPian

I was never a fan of Hyundai. But then I saw a Tucson parked on the road when I came out of a mall. It was absolutely gorgeous with massive tyres and an aerodynamic design. It looked powerful yet not loud. This is probably my favourite Hyundai. Thanks for sharing the review and congrats on your fantastic car.
black.beauty is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th June 2022, 20:58   #531
BHPian

Quote:
As for the gearbox, I did not find the shifts to be problematic as others have indicated on the forum. So, do take a test drive if that's the only factor preventing you from considering Compass.
Congrats @desidino on your new steed. May I know how happy are you with the Tucson on mountain roads? Does the car struggle with finding the right gear while climbing steep hills compared to the compass , since you have driven both. I am waiting for the new Tucson and going by the media reports the same diesel engine and gearbox from last generation will be retained.
ChetanM6 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th June 2022, 22:27   #532
BHPian

Quote:
Requirements from the car:

F. Safety: This is critical.

I also read about Safari's safety concerns on the forum.
Surprised that you listed safety as a critical consideration and then went with a car (and brand) with a poor safety record. The 2021 Tuscon scored 0 stars in Latin NCAP. The one sold in India is slightly better equipped but this is still alarming:

https://www.autocarindia.com/car-new...sh-test-422943

Last edited by naru80 : 26th June 2022 at 22:29.
Old 27th June 2022, 01:20   #533
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naru80 View Post
Surprised that you listed safety as a critical consideration and then went with a car (and brand) with a poor safety record. The 2021 Tuscon scored 0 stars in Latin NCAP. The one sold in India is slightly better equipped but this is still alarming:
This generation of Tucson scored 5 stars in Euro NCAP, Australian NCAP and even NHTSA.
There is a whole thread on Team-BHP in which it’s clearly explained why it scored Zero in Latin NCAP and why it does not apply to the one sold in India.
midazolam is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 27th June 2022, 08:07   #534
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChetanM6 View Post
Congrats @desidino on your new steed. May I know how happy are you with the Tucson on mountain roads? Does the car struggle with finding the right gear while climbing steep hills compared to the compass , since you have driven both. I am waiting for the new Tucson and going by the media reports the same diesel engine and gearbox from last generation will be retained.
Hi, I could not take Compass on proper mountain roads during the test drive, so can't comment on it.

With the Sports mode, I am quite happy with the Tucson on mountain roads. Climbing steep hills in not an issue given that 400 nm of torque. Its mainly in the steep uphill hairpin bends when due to oncoming traffic or other reasons, I sometimes need to lift my foot off from the accelerator pedal to slow down the vehicle, due to which probably it doesn't downshift appropriately, so when I press the accelerator pedal again, it takes a few seconds before the power comes through. I am not sure if this is an issue as such or just how Automatic transmissions behave. In any case, don't be too bothered about this, as with the Sports mode it's not a major issue.
desidino is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th July 2022, 23:21   #535
BHPian

Dealers in Bangalore have started taking bookings for the upcoming new Tucson. Booking amount is 25,000 and fully refundable. No detailed information available yet with them expect that it would be mostly a 5 seater and would be priced at the top end between 36-38 lakhs OTR BLR.
Reveal in July and official launch in August.
EaurougeatSpa is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th July 2022, 21:24   #536
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahulv View Post
Been a week with the car. 900 km done.
Hi Rahul. Hope you are enjoying your AWD Tucson! I have a basic question. What is your engine RPM while you are cruising at 100 kmph? I want to know if there is a difference between AWD and 2WD variant.

Thanks in advance.
Old 26th July 2022, 07:54   #537
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wild child View Post
What is your engine RPM while you are cruising at 100 kmph? I want to know if there is a difference between AWD and 2WD variant.
Have a 4 month old GLS 2WD AT and it does 100kmph at 1450rpm in 8th gear. AFAIK, it shouldn’t be any different b/w the 2WD and AWD models.
drhoneycake is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th July 2022, 10:48   #538
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drhoneycake View Post
AFAIK, it shouldn’t be any different b/w the 2WD and AWD models.
I own a Duster AWD and there is noticeable gearing difference between mine and an equivalent 2WD duster. The gearing is shorter in mine resulting in high cruising RPM.
Hence the question.

BTW, hope you are having a blast with your car. How is the headlight throw at night and in the rains?
Old 11th August 2022, 10:38   #539
BHPian

I had upgraded my nexens after 27500 kms and wrote about it in the Tucson tyre thread. Crossposting it here so it could benefit somebody : https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/tyre-...ml#post5377764 (Hyundai Tucson | Terrible experience with the OEM Nexen Tyres)
ramprakashr is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th August 2022, 23:03   #540
BHPian

A 20k kms service update on the Diesel 2WD Tucson:
1) Routine engine oil and air filter change
2) Wheel balancing and rotation

The service is free till 30k kms. I only had to pay around 3k for wheel balancing and labour.

Happy to report zero niggles so far touchwood. Car performs like it did on day 1. Brake pads were also inspected but still had some life left in them. The Nexen tyres have been kind to us so far (at the recommended 35 psi). Do note that 95% of the driving has been in city and I can say with confidence that the Tucson is a great urban commuter. Consistent average figures of 10-11 kmpl in city and 15-16 kmpl in a highway scenario. Overall happy with the ownership experience. You also get special treatment from the dealership every time you go in to get the car serviced. Anybody looking to have a fuss free ownership and willing to compromise marginally on driving pleasure may go ahead and book the current gen with eyes closed. Trust me, the difference in drive quality is not night and day and I feel most of the reviews have an unconscious bias towards the Compass and Tiguan. I say this as an owner of a MkIII Skoda Octavia 1.8 TSI. The Octy, on any day, is more engaging to drive but the Tucson is not far behind as some of the popular reviews claim. Moreover, all of that thrill didn't matter when I experienced the infamous DSG failure and it set me back by quite a substantial amount. Hehe! Even I was skeptical of going to the Tucson coming from the Octavia but trust me, the ownership has indeed been fuss-free and cheap (a pleasant surprise for someone who came from an Octavia). I am glad I went for the Tucson after reading a few horrendous ownership stories of the Compass and the Harrier. The car is the best-selling Hyundai all over the world for a reason.

Shoot any questions/suggestions that you may have regarding the car.
umairalvi is offline   (5) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks