Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th November 2020, 10:32   #31
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Review: BMW 330i (G20)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ais View Post
All in all, would the enhancements in G20 over an F30 with Bilstein B6 be justified with the price difference outlay should I go for it in future?
Quote:
Originally Posted by dealer View Post
In short, don't sell the F30 to get a G20, it won't be worth the extra cost IMHO.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rahul_jo View Post
What do you guys suggest? Is it worth the upgrade to the new G20 330i or should I keep my F30 for a few more years?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbohead View Post
I think you got bit by the new car bug! I guess you need some time to recover from that bite!
Difficult times ahead for F30 owners. 6 months after having upgraded from an Octavia 1.8 TSI to a G20 330i, I can comment that F30 owners need to look higher up for that 'true upgrade' feeling. No doubt the G20 is an upgrade over the F30 (even factoring in the missing interior bits), BUT unless you're an out-and-out driving fanatic who lives and dies by the chassis feel /steering over everything else, the initial excitement will dull leaving you with that niggling thought whether you did the right thing in spending close to 60L on the 330i.

If new is the only way, then I'd suggest negotiating hard for the current 530D as the LCI looms closer. Alternatively, a true sports car like a pre-worshipped Porsche, Z4 or a well kept AMG rocket are the only real alternatives.
itwasntme is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th November 2020, 13:29   #32
BHPian

Quote:
What do you guys suggest? Is it worth the upgrade to the new G20 330i or should I keep my F30 for a few more years?
I understand you are based in NCR. The 10 years life and diesel ban is the only improbable threat that goes in favor of selling your current steed.

If you can make peace with the uncertainty, my suggestion like others would be to keep your steed and potentially run it for 10 years or its full life. The depreciation in this case comes to 3.5-4 Lakhs per year as against 5.5-6 Lakhs per year (considering you will end up losing about 22-24L in 4 years) if you sell now. Not to forget the new ride will also start depreciating again from today and the driving improvement is going to be marginal with increased fuel costs (there is still Rs 11/liter price gap and the diesel gives much higher mileage than the petrol). Just my 2 cents.
sid_deb is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th November 2020, 14:49   #33
BHPian

Hey Akshay,

Loved your review of the BMW 3 series. I am looking to get myself a sporty sedan but not getting any clear idea on what kind of mileage does the 330i deliver. My running is around 15,000 kms per year 80% of which is on Mumbai roads (sedate driving). What kind of efficiency can I expect from the turbo charged petrol as compared to the oil burner? (I saw figures in the range of 4kmpl -10kmpl on Youtube reviews). I am looking to replace my A3 35 TDI (already sold) and own the Seltos DCT.

My heart says go for the petrol but mind says diesel. Is the difference too big? (The other car that I am considering (with my mind) is the Superb Sportline.)

Regards,
Rahul Sharma
Old 9th November 2020, 15:16   #34
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahulsharma2008 View Post
I am looking to get myself a sporty sedan but not getting any clear idea on what kind of mileage does the 330i deliver. My running is around 15,000 kms per year 80% of which is on Mumbai roads (sedate driving). What kind of efficiency can I expect from the turbo charged petrol as compared to the oil burner? (I saw figures in the range of 4kmpl -10kmpl on Youtube reviews).
My 5,000 km / 6 month long term average (70% highway) during these COVID-19 times is a steady 10.5-11 km/lt with fairly spirited driving and one 700 km road trip
itwasntme is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th November 2020, 16:23   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
My 5,000 km / 6 month long term average (70% highway) during these COVID-19 times is a steady 10.5-11 km/lt with fairly spirited driving and one 700 km road trip
Those are pretty good numbers and I am assuming Bangalore traffic is no better than Mumbai. Its surprising how a 65bhp Maruti, 140bhp Kia and a 265 Bhp Monster all deliver similar numbers in the city!!!

Lastly, how has your experience with the ground clearance & do u miss the top spec M Sport in anyway?

Last edited by rahulsharma2008 : 9th November 2020 at 16:27.
Old 9th November 2020, 16:48   #36
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Its surprising how a 65bhp Maruti, 140bhp Kia and a 265 Bhp Monster all deliver similar numbers in the city!!!

Lastly, how has your experience with the ground clearance & do u miss the top spec M Sport in anyway?
I'm assuming it's the massive 400 Nm of torque working away quietly in conjunction with the ZF8 gearbox. These numbers are 70% Comfort mode, 29% Sport/Sport+ mode and 1% in Ecopro.

GC is better than the numbers suggest as the chassis is stiffly sprung and doesn't sag even with full load. Again the short overhangs and sharply raised rear bumper also help with BLR's insane speedbreakers.

If M Sport is missed at all it is only for the new wireless Android Auto (incoming on 2021 cars) and wireless CarPlay (already present). The looks are better in the M Sport as well with those huge rear 255 18 inchers. Mine are humble 225/50/17s :-)
itwasntme is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th November 2020, 21:24   #37
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Objectively, keeping money matters aside, the G20 330i is absolutely an upgrade over the F30 320d. But I think it's wildly overpriced, and would hang on to the F30 if I were you, and remap it (in case you haven't already) to enjoy some extra power on tap.

Edit: also, if you feel the itch and want a sportier ride, get Bilstein B6's. Zero regrets, 100% fun. Promise.

Quote:
Those are pretty good numbers and I am assuming Bangalore traffic is no better than Mumbai. Its surprising how a 65bhp Maruti, 140bhp Kia and a 265 hp Monster all deliver similar numbers in the city!!!
Rahul, note that itwasntme's numbers are predominantly highway numbers, while yours will be predominantly in the city. Expect 5-7 in Bombay's serpentine traffic, and 10-15 KMPL on the highway depending on how heavy that right foot is

Last edited by iliketurtles : 9th November 2020 at 21:40. Reason: Edited for Bilsteins!
iliketurtles is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 12th November 2020, 11:26   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iliketurtles View Post
Expect 5-7 in Bombay's serpentine traffic, and 10-15 KMPL on the highway depending on how heavy that right foot is
Spot On!!!
My 330i shows an average of around 5-6, only city driven and has done around 850KMS since September 2019
akash.1318 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th November 2020, 13:53   #39
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akash.1318 View Post
Spot On!!!
My 330i shows an average of around 5-6, only city driven and has done around 850KMS since September 2019
I constantly joke with my friends that this is BMW's way of preparing us for the ///M life; the mileage of these turbo-petrol 3er's aren't too dissimilar to their beefier big brothers.

Also, what are you doing sitting here and typing out messages, get out and drive
iliketurtles is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th November 2020, 22:16   #40
BHPian

Anyone have any info on a good quality sunshade/sunblinds that are compatible with G20, for all the 4 windows + rear? Preferably the roller type ones against the stick-on suction ones
Old 15th November 2020, 11:18   #41
BHPian

Hi,

Sorry if I missed this. How is the ground clearance of the 330 i ? I do go the mountins a lot so was wondering if ground clearance could be an issue especially in the moonsoons.

Thanks
Old 15th November 2020, 18:02   #42
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinnaclecap View Post
Sorry if I missed this. How is the ground clearance of the 330 i ? I do go the mountins a lot so was wondering if ground clearance could be an issue especially in the moonsoons.
Hi, from my 4500 km experience, the chassis is pretty stiff, and will beach only on the unscientific speedbreakers or tall protrusions. Only hope is to ensure inflation to the recommended pressure and 'crab across' them if possible.

Don't worry, it's mostly manageable
Old 3rd December 2020, 09:43   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqil View Post
Sure,
Here's a picture of the turbo and pistons.
Hey aqil, may I know what pistons you ordered and from where? And also, where are you planning to get them installed. I have been reading about detonation issues with the 320i B48 and wanted to check if it's feasible to go in for a forged setup. If possible, please do share the cost of the pistons too. Thanks!

Last edited by Aditya : 10th December 2020 at 21:56. Reason: Post split
dealer is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 5th December 2020, 20:48   #44

Re: Shadowfax- Lord of all Horses, the BMW 330i Sport (G20) Review

Quote:
Hey aqil, may I know what pistons you ordered and from where? And also, where are you planning to get them installed. I have been reading about detonation issues with the 320i B48 and wanted to check if it's feasible to go in for a forged setup. If possible, please do share the cost of the pistons too. Thanks!

They are cp pistons 10:1. Your b48, is 11:1. I bought through vac motorsports. Google them. I bought them at a discount and they cost me 80k rupees. If you want to buy pistons. Buy them through realstreetperformance. Ask for moe and tell moe you are aqil's friend and request a low invoice. Pistons will cost you whatever they will. But the low invoice on paper will help alot with customs.
B48 stock is quite reliable as it is. It can handle 400whp. Can't say about 20i b48 due to high compression ratio, compared to the 2019 30i.
If you're planning to put on a bigger turbo. You should also look into rods. Crank would be the least of your concern, as it can take around 700hp.
Buy 11:1 forged cp. Higher compression will allow you to make more power with less boost.
For f30 cars, there's pure turbo upgrade available for 400whp. You will ship them your turbo and they will upgrade the chra for more flow. Along with the housings. Simple plug and play.
. Or you can do what I did. Buy forged internals and a g25 550/660. External wastegate if you will tune via a boost controller or you will need to have the stock EWG fabricated for an internal wastegate. You can also use the boost controller for internally wastegated turbo.
G25 660 will give you 450+whp, easily at 2bar.
If not going the pure route and taking the cheaper way, like buying a garret or whatever you like. You will need fittings to allow oil and coolant. Pictures of fittings attached.

I have a gt2871r. And expected hp is 450 with the .86 internal wastegate housing.
Attached Thumbnails
Review: BMW 330i (G20)-16071814156792909815067660787078.jpg  

Aqil is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th December 2020, 11:27   #45

Re: Shadowfax- Lord of all Horses, the BMW 330i Sport (G20) Review

Quote:
Also, i think a water methanol injection will serve you better. You can spray 100% water even. Just buy a chargepipe and a w/m injection kit. Preferably snow performance. I use it for nitrous enrichment and it works wonders for knock suppression.
Now that PTF are coming out with a box that will allow users to control port injection, nitrous enrichment and some more stuff. I might just spray 100% water with the kit. Ofcourse, using a smaller nozzle or i might add some water to the methanol.
Spraying 100% methanol and/or Ethanol works wonders too. Cooler egt.
Basically, I wouldn't buy pistons to overcome ping. Because, pistons won't reduce knock, unless lowering compression ratio.
All you need is a chargepipe with bungs in it. Buy ftp from Taiwan. They have a charge pipe that will allow you to add an air to air intercooler. Which will also help towards knock suppression.
So, to summarise, you have the following options to supress knock.
1: use high octane fuel.(octane boosters don't do jack. Trust me)
2: spray chargepipe to lower IAT. This method is tried and tested. And tuners often spray methanol and water in 50:50 ratio, to advance ignition timings and/or not have to retard a lot of ignition time if Spraying nitrous.
3: add an intercooler to lower IAT.

I missed answering one of your questions previously. I have had a word with my dealership to install the pistons for me. I have the aftersales BMW workshop manual too, for the proper way to do whatever it is you wish to. It has everything you need. Torque specifications and all of it. It is what the guys over at bmw will refer to when doing anything. For example, after service, what torque to tighten the oil nut. In short, i can either have it done by bmw or do it myself, provided i have the proper tools mentioned i the manual to use.
Pistons will cost you 80k, then customs and then over a lakh to install. Near 3 lakhs for pistons. And chargepipe and methanol injection. I would say, around 50k.
Aqil is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks