Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 8th November 2020, 21:53   #136
BHPian

re: Hyundai i20 Review

Hyundai i20 N looks promising, wish Hyundai brings this to India. The engine in the N obviously is larger. however I am assuming the chassis is same, meaning this new gen i20 will have a monumental shift in driving dynamics and tremendous mod potential by swapping N performance parts. Also note the new R&D head Albert Biermann at Hyundai was VP of BMW M division.

‘The i20 N’s essence lies in its 1.6-litre turbo GDi petrol engine that puts out 204PS/275Nm -- and with the weight of 1190kg, it achieves 100kmph from a standstill in 6.7 seconds. The front-wheel-drive i20 N can clock a maximum clip of 230kmph. It’s paired with a 6-speed manual transmission and features launch control and mechanical slip differential that help increase track efficiency.’

Waiting for track reviews of the new i20.

Last edited by Godzilla : 8th November 2020 at 22:01.
Godzilla is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th November 2020, 22:19   #137
Senior - BHPian

Many gripes about the i20!! Fuel tank capacity at 37 ltrs is measly my son's Grand i10 has a 43 ltrs capacity. Price of top end at Rs 14L is Honda City territory. I think in playing the premium card Hyundai has priced it a bit to high. On the one hand we have Nissan trying to woo people with its VFM pricing with top end petrol CVT Magnite at Rs 9.55 L on the other we have the i20 priced sky high.

Last edited by Durango Dude : 8th November 2020 at 22:29.
Durango Dude is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 9th November 2020, 00:42   #138
BHPian

Can somebody post a rear picture of the magna version. The only version that does not have those hideous chrome bling.
Attached Images

Last edited by saion666 : 9th November 2020 at 00:43.
Old 9th November 2020, 01:00   #139
Senior - BHPian

That's the chrome running along the rear quarter panel.You can see it on any video of top variant.
Old 9th November 2020, 11:16   #140
BHPian

I happen to see the new I20 outside a dealership yesterday and I must say what a colossal blunder. The front looks hideous. I loved the previous i20. I just cannot fathom this design. Also it seems like it wont have much of a road presence either.
frewper is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 9th November 2020, 11:57   #141
BHPian

At this point, I see people going for the Altroz instead (which in itself is right in sedan territory price wise). Waiting for the TBHP comparison review.
Old 9th November 2020, 13:16   #142
BHPian

Performance figures of 1.2 brigade is compared in the list. Source : Autocar.

New i20 1.2 Petrol (thanks to the reduction in weight, which is claimed to be 100 kg lesser) has improved over the i20 elite which lagged almost every competitor in both outright and ingear acceleration.

Hopefully new i20 is more 'i10 Grand' in terms of performance.
Attached Thumbnails
Hyundai i20 Review-specifications.png  

Last edited by Turbokick : 9th November 2020 at 13:17.
Old 9th November 2020, 14:05   #143
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by frewper View Post
I happen to see the new I20 outside a dealership yesterday and I must say what a colossal blunder. The front looks hideous. I loved the previous i20. I just cannot fathom this design. Also it seems like it wont have much of a road presence either.
I don't mind the front grill, it's the rear that just disgusts me. Those tail lamps are just ugly. Maybe it's my taste :/.

I came across this huge thread on quality issues with Hyundai and that's the bigger reason I'd avoid the i20. Was curious to see the preview and hence popped in this thread. It would be great to see in-depth quality analysis of the new i20.
Old 9th November 2020, 14:11   #144
Senior - BHPian

I, alongside with my wife, drove past a new i20 (in White) today. Both felt it was classy, albeit bit shorter in height. But, the owner has opted for chrome package at the rear which made it look hideous.

IMO Hyundai pricing strategy will only results in other manufacturers following suit &/ or lengthy negotiations for discounts & accessories.
Old 9th November 2020, 14:39   #145
BHPian

I took a test-drive of the new 1.0 turbo DCT i20 the day before and here are my thoughts on it.
The exteriors are very aggressively styled, which in my opinion makes it polarizing, it works for me though, apart from that unnecessary chrome strip on the rear. Particularly liked the black highlights on the skirts, front and rear. The Starry Night shade furthermore accentuates the looks, which make it look quite premium if I might say so. Another new inclusion which I liked was the puddle lamps on the ORVMs.
On entering in, the vehicle feels and is wider than the previous elite i20, legroom in the rear is decent, boot space is adequate (for a 2nd car in a household) under-thigh support was lacking a tad bit, but what made things seem glum was the all black interiors. It works for some people , but personally, I would have appreciated a dual tone option. The sunroof though improves things, as it would let in some light.
Talking about the infotainment and instrument cluster, the touch response is quite slick, the sound quality of the Bose system is quite good as well, in short, being a Hyundai, it is technologically laden. I must mention the ambient lightning, it sets the environment and looks quite cool.
I must confess, this was the first DCT transmission I have driven, so my views may not be entirely correct. In comparison to my current 2016 manual elite i20, this 2020 i20 feels quite alive, the steering is quite responsive and not animated like the one from my car, and the engine seems to have quite a pull. However, before the acceleration kicks in, there is a bit of lag, after which the vehicle pulls forward (with an engine like this, would have loved to have a manual gearbox option). While being seated, I felt that the seating felt a little low, but that is possible because I hadn't altered my seating position. The brakes felt secure and responsive as well.
Our primary car is a 2018 Toyota Fortuner and we were looking to replace and maybe even upgrade from our i20. I do not see myself considering the 2020 i20, primarily because of the hefty 13.27 lakh price tag. At such a price, I would rather look at the Hyundai Venue, Kia Sonet or the upcoming Nissan Magnite.
sid__kaps is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 9th November 2020, 16:31   #146
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamilharis View Post

Way to go TATA. Now you have enough space to play with the pricing, bring in all the combinations soon and spoil the TRICK!
My guess is that Altroz Turbo in the highest trim will be significantly cheaper than the i20 1.0 GDI DCT. But I am also pretty sure that it wont be getting power figures anywhere close to 1.0 GDI. May be 100-110 bhp tops. But since Altroz is a heavy car, the real world performance wont be anything to brag about. C'mon Tata, give Altroz the engine it deserves.
anish5225 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th November 2020, 07:55   #147
BHPian

A small request to the Team-BHP members who will be compiling the official review of the new i20. Can you find some way to verify the 100 kg weight loss compared to the Elite i20 and maybe comment on how it affects the safety?
Old 10th November 2020, 08:58   #148
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacob.thomas View Post
A small request to the Team-BHP members who will be compiling the official review of the new i20. Can you find some way to verify the 100 kg weight loss compared to the Elite i20 and maybe comment on how it affects the safety?
That’s easy. All they need to do is take the car to any weigh bridge or ‘dharam kaanta’ as they are called, and you’ll get to know the weight. This should actually be made a part of the testing procedure for all cars so that there is no ambiguity.
Shreyans_Jain is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 10th November 2020, 18:28   #149
BHPian

Hi TeamBhpians, had a short visit to the Hyundai showroom to check out the 2020 I20. Test drive vehicles were yet to get registered so can only comment on the interior and exterior. Quite liked the sharp exterior and the car looks pretty wide from both the front and rear. The rear looks more striking in those Z LED taillamps and maybe a full LED headlamp setup instead of the projector ones would have done more justice to the front.

Coming to the interiors, although it was all black it somehow felt more spacious than my next gen Verna, both front and back. The seats felt nice and the Bose system sounds great. Everything felt in place, just that I would have preferred a pair of classy analog dials in the instrument cluster. Its a loaded package inside out and that extra Hyundai peace of mind in terms of service and cost of ownership will keep most buyers happy although its priced at premium for a hatchback.
Attached Thumbnails
Hyundai i20 Review-20201110_182546.jpg  

Hyundai i20 Review-20201110_182625.jpg  

purb_du is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 10th November 2020, 22:30   #150
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dark.knight View Post
I'm trying to be as bipartisan as possible, but in a launch thread that has become overwhelmingly negative and about just ripping apart the brand for the pricing aspect, I have only two questions to ask :

1) How many of you were/are planning to buy the i20 and stopped the plan after hearing the pricing? If so, why not the other "VFM" alternatives like Ecosport/Figo/Polo GT TSi and perhaps the most loved car of all time, the Altroz? The fact that so many are lamenting the pricing shows that either they loved the car and they are angry about the pricing, or they simply want to trash the model before its even up for test-drives.
Quote:
I have no problem with criticism, but I would hope that people take a first look, or a drive or simply wait for reviews before putting down a model, I've NEVER critiqued a model without sitting in it, and driving it personally, that's why I've not commented on the Altroz or Baleno, ever, but I have very much driven a GT TSi so I confidently can write about it.

Last but not least, like voting, you do have a choice to put your money on the car you love and influence others to do the same, but that shouldn't come this early on when a car hasn't even been made available for a test drive.
As I see, every thread is like this. This is a place where people express their views and it can be negative or positive. We have all seen the amount of negativity TATA motors gets for its every move in the forums. Similar thing for the safety of Maruti hatchbacks. The brand may or may not deserve it. We cant stop people from expressing their views. At the same time, the OEM brands have the right to price their cars as they like, and they do, if/when they feel they can get away with it.

That said, I don't think people are trying to trash the car here. Most people are trashing the pricing. Like it or not, for many people in India, possibly including some enthusiasts, many times the price trumps other considerations. So if a person is unhappy that a car they like or want to buy is not priced in the range that they can afford, they will express their unhappiness here. We cannot embargo it.

Quote:
As far as Indian NCAP goes, lets not forget even VW and Skoda haven't sent their models for local crash tests yet, not indicating that they're poor as a result but they are uncertified, much like Hyundai.
I would genuinely like to know more about this Indian-NCAP. I am not aware of any Indian-NCAP rating or its testing/rating agency like the Global-NCAP, Euro-NCAP, Latin-NCAP, Australian-NCAP etc. That's why I believe the Global-NCAP rating makes more sense in India because the Indian car safety regulations are watered-down. I don't see any point of a govt-rule based safety-certification in India that is not mandatory for every OEM.

Only this global-NCAP website gives the safety ratings of MADE & SOLD in India cars : http://www.globalncap.org/results/
Please correct me if this is incorrect. I can see VW polo with 2 airbags gets a 4 star rating.
Napalm is offline   (5) Thanks

Most Viewed