Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th November 2020, 16:38   #211
Senior - BHPian

re: Hyundai i20 Review

It has all the ingredients to woo public and will sell like hot cake for sure. But with Seltos/Nios crash results am sure at least a small percentage of informed buyers will stay away. Not that it bothers Hyundai as overall the sales will be stupendous. Expect some cross shopping between this and the venue but its all good as long as the customer stays within same showroom.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vik0728 View Post
So basically, other than VW and Skoda, ONLY the new Honda City gives this USEFUL feature of one touch power windows under 20 lakhs in India??
My 2019 jazz has one touch power window on the driver side and AFAIK even polo has it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by shobhit.shri View Post
Is anybody else also amazed that the i20 comes with a sunroof even when some 50L cars don't have it?
That was the case in 2006 maybe when i10 i20 had sunroof. But in 2020, same segment Jazz has it and all the Subcompact/Compact SUVs this side of 20L have it barring Magnite and Brezza/S-cross.

Last edited by SoumenD : 13th November 2020 at 16:40.
SoumenD is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 13th November 2020, 17:25   #212
BHPian

Based on my understanding, the Kia seltos was based on the verna platform and the new i20 is also based on the same verna platform. Wouldn't the "unstable bodyshell integrity" review of the seltos be applicable to the i20 as well?

Can anyone confirm or validate this?
Old 13th November 2020, 17:28   #213
BHPian

Well, Hyundai is catering to the mass needs in their products by adding many bells and whistles. Same here too. In India especially, vast majority of customers don't even have safety as a feature in their check list when they go out to buy their car. Heck, majority don't even belt up when they use a car, especially the rear seat. Then why would manufacturers spend money on making their cars safer when almost no one is not even going to notice?

Last edited by Aditya : 14th November 2020 at 09:01. Reason: Typo
eyeman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th November 2020, 18:29   #214
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoConsultant View Post

Coming from an automotive background, I know that strength of the type of steel used and the overall rigidity of the structure depends on a large number of factors apart from the amount of steel used. Then why do we use this as an indicator for the build quality?
Your statement on the amount of steel used not being the only factor affecting the rigidity of the structure is true. But, the automobile industry is more than a century old and have been using latest Finite Element methods and other optimization techniques extensively since, decades. So, I would assume the structure of cars have gone through several iterations and have matured in design. With a confined design space and similar set of constraints, there, is only so much you can do with optimization to increase rigidity of the structure. Beyond a point adding extra material would be the only way to improve the structure.

Offcourse, material change would be another big improvement but, automobile industry being such a huge market, most OEMs should be using similar grade steel for making their cars. Now, if you were to replace steel or high strength steel ( I am really curious how much higher the strength actually is) with another material like composites then it will be a whole new scope for optimization like in some of the higher end cars such as BMWs and Audis.

In conclusion, I believe the assumption that higher weight (more steel) equals more structural strength is a decent one. There is merit to that assumption.

The above explanation is speculative and an extrapolation of my experience in aerospace industry. I am not from automobile industry but, I have worked in the structural analysis field. So, I am actually curious what is the usual scope of optimization in cars such as i20. Any Bhpians who can enlighten me?
Utham123 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 13th November 2020, 19:53   #215
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utham123 View Post
Your statement on the amount of steel used not being the only factor affecting the rigidity of the structure is true. But, the automobile industry is more than a century old and have been using latest Finite Element methods and other optimization techniques extensively since, decades. So, I would assume the structure of cars have gone through several iterations and have matured in design. With a confined design space and similar set of constraints, there, is only so much you can do with optimization to increase rigidity of the structure. Beyond a point adding extra material would be the only way to improve the structure.

Offcourse, material change would be another big improvement but, automobile industry being such a huge market, most OEMs should be using similar grade steel for making their cars. Now, if you were to replace steel or high strength steel ( I am really curious how much higher the strength actually is) with another material like composites then it will be a whole new scope for optimization like in some of the higher end cars such as BMWs and Audis.

In conclusion, I believe the assumption that higher weight (more steel) equals more structural strength is a decent one. There is merit to that assumption.
Thanks! Makes a lot of sense. At least for the mass market cars it is fair to assume that a lot of R&D budget is not being spent on increasing/innovating in the structural rigidity department. Hence, weight can be used to make this judgement.
AutoConsultant is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th November 2020, 21:09   #216
RSR
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Potenza View Post

Got home this piece of gorgeousness on the 11th.

Its the all singing all dancing 1.0 Turbo DCT Asta (O) in Titan Grey Colour.

Congratulations! She's a beauty, more so in this shade.

Also, a great move on your part to get the top-spec Asta(O) with added safety features like side & curtain airbags, Electronic Stability Control & Vehicle Stability Management, Hill Assist Control, ISOFIX mounts, apart from loads of other features.

As things stand, the new i20 is the only car in its class (i.e. 4m premium hatchbacks) to get side & curtain airbags and ESC+VSM. Do not listen to anyone who tells you important safety features like side & curtain airbags and ESC+VSM are supposedly "gimmicks" or "bling". I've heard that piece of supposed "wisdom" from automobile illiterates before, and no doubt you will also come across it. Just have a hearty laugh at the sheer ignorance of those who make such statements.

I've got a query. Does your car make those horn beep sounds when locking/unlocking it while using the remote buttons?

Last edited by GTO : 16th November 2020 at 07:35. Reason: Toning it down
RSR is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 13th November 2020, 22:27   #217
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSR View Post
Do not listen to any fool (online or in real life) that tells you important safety features like side & curtain airbags and ESC+VSM are supposedly "gimmicks" or "bling". I've heard that piece of supposed "wisdom" from automobile illiterates before, and no doubt you will also come across it. Just have a hearty laugh at the sheer ignorance of those who make such statements.
Damn! Never came across any guy who calls these important features as "gimmicks"! Such people are really a disgrace!

However, I think if manufacturers like Hyundai can provide such important safety features in cars as small as the i20, they should also provide a stable car structure which can save the occupants, in case the tech fails to avoid the crash!
theAutomaniac is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 14th November 2020, 00:06   #218
BHPian

Being an avid team-bhp reader through years (though somehow not an avid poster in the forum), one thing I find encouraging, is over the years people questioning a car's safety have increased by leaps & bounds. Its the same scenario in the general public. Public has also started questioning a car's safety. Yes, i20 will be a runaway success without having NCAP ratings, but then any change takes time.... Give it a decade & no company will be able to sell below par safe cars.

Somehow I feel, car manufacturers should be given the option of buying a competitors car and donating it GNCAP for testing and show their expense under corporate social responsibility (CSR). This is the right way to deal with companies (read Maruti) who say "they won't send their car to GNCAP for testing" (Maruti literally said this & Hyundai is avoiding comment directly and just saying "they have increased the amount of high tensile steel").
[Currently, either a manufacturer have to send their car for testing and bear the expense or GNCAP can themselves purchase and test].

Second point, Venue tested 4 stars in ANCAP testing. Is the same version being sold here in India? Is it safe to assume then that Sonnet will also be 4 stars?
But then another question arise, Sonnet, Venue, Seltos, Creta & i20 all share the same K2 platform. How can one test 4 stars & the other test 3 stars with borderline unstable body shell??

Lastly, moderator can you comment whether i20 comes with an under-body engine guard?

Last edited by docswarna26 : 14th November 2020 at 00:08.
docswarna26 is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 14th November 2020, 00:33   #219
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by docswarna26 View Post
Second point, Venue tested 4 stars in ANCAP testing. Is the same version being sold here in India?
NO

Quote:
Is it safe to assume then that Sonnet will also be 4 stars?
No! In fact, the Seltos's low ratings have raised questions on the safety aspect of even the cars like the Hyundai Verna, Creta and even the Elantra!

Quote:
But then another question arise, Sonnet, Venue, Seltos, Creta & i20 all share the same K2 platform. How can one test 4 stars & the other test 3 stars with borderline unstable body shell??
The global Hyundai Venue is not the same as India spec version.
Reason being-

1. There are rumors regarding the Indian Venue being based on the Santro's K1 platform.

2. Even if the Venue and Sonet are based on the K2 platform, the Kia Seltos's low ratings take the assurance of being built on a so called "superior" platform away!
theAutomaniac is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 14th November 2020, 00:42   #220
BHPian

New I20 rendered in Glossy Black Tailgate Wrap

Hyundai i20 Review-20201114_005328.jpg

Hyundai i20 Review-20201114_013550.jpg

Looks like Glossy Black wrap on the Roof, Spoiler and Tailgate would make its contentious Rear look more bearable

Last edited by JS Kwt : 14th November 2020 at 01:07.
JS Kwt is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th November 2020, 02:25   #221
Senior - BHPian

Which of the new i20 trims have a rear wash and wipe ?
Mortis is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th November 2020, 10:03   #222
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nalin1 View Post
Many congratulations!.

The new i20 is a real beauty and will turn out to be another super duper hit from Hyundai, no doubt !.

With Hyundai's excellent reliability and service network, enjoy the gem for many many years .
Thanks a ton!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoConsultant View Post
Congrats on your purchase!

Could you provide details on a few points :-
1. On road price
2. Waiting period, when did you book etc
3. How did you decide on this car (and which other options you considered)
4. Early impressions on driving please (as compared to your GT TSI)
1. We paid 13.19 lakhs on road.
2. The car was booked on 2nd Nov and we got delivery on the 11th.
3. Will elaborate on this at the end of this post.
4. Will elaborate on this at the end of this post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fz_rider View Post
Congratulations ! I saw an i20 in the same shade today. Looks striking on the road. Altroz looked striking in pictures and not so much on the road, its the opposite for i20.
Thanks a ton!

Quote:
Congratulations! She's a beauty, more so in this shade.

Also, a great move on your part to get the top-spec Asta(O) with added safety features like side & curtain airbags, Electronic Stability Control & Vehicle Stability Management, Hill Assist Control, ISOFIX mounts, apart from loads of other features.

As things stand, the new i20 is the only car in its class (i.e. 4m premium hatchbacks) to get side & curtain airbags and ESC+VSM. Do not listen to any fool (online or in real life) that tells you important safety features like side & curtain airbags and ESC+VSM are supposedly "gimmicks" or "bling". I've heard that piece of supposed "wisdom" from automobile illiterates before, and no doubt you will also come across it. Just have a hearty laugh at the sheer ignorance of those who make such statements.

I've got a query. Does your car make those horn beep sounds when locking/unlocking it while using the remote buttons?
It did make the beeping sound. However it can be turned off by simultaneously pressing the lock and unlock buttons on the smart key for a few seconds.

To answer the two queries above:

1. We basically wanted an automatic hatchback and really liked the Baleno. However the Baleno is pretty much at the end of its lifecycle and i didn't quite fancy buying a product which was going to be replaced in a years time. Hence we waited for the i20 and pre-booked it. The availability of a turbo-petrol and dct combination also tilted the scales heavily in its favour.

2. When the prices were announced we were as shocked as everyone else was. But finally we still decided to go in for it because:
a. No other product at this price point offered the same level of equipment along with the turbo petrol and DCT combination (that was very important). The Kia Sonet came close but that cost 1.7 lakhs more.
b. We are not big fans of Sub 4m SUVs. The i20 is has more space than either the Venue or the Sonet and honestly buying a small SUV for 15 lakhs did not appeal to me. Spending 13.2 on a hatch was much more palatable.

3. Comparison with the GT-TSI: Its too early but initial impressions are that the GT will be more fun to drive since it has a much more aggressive power delivery as compared to Hyundai's 1.0 Turbo. The Hyundai engine is much more relaxed in its demeanour. However, the i20 seems to offer a much more mature driving experience since it drives and rides like a much bigger car. Final impressions will only happen after i push the i20 a bit. The gearbox seems to be pretty similar in both cars. In fact I think the Hyundai DCT seems to be smoother especially in upshifts.

More on this later.

Last edited by Potenza : 14th November 2020 at 10:22. Reason: Added more info.
Potenza is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 14th November 2020, 11:40   #223
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortis View Post
Which of the new i20 trims have a rear wash and wipe ?
Asta and Asta (O) are the only variants which get the wiper, typical Hyundai.
punto_ is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th November 2020, 12:01   #224
BHPian

Quote:

As things stand, the new i20 is the only car in its class (i.e. 4m premium hatchbacks) to get side & curtain airbags and ESC+VSM.[/i]?
Can't say whether we can classify Freestyle as a premium hatch or cross or whatever it is, but at the end of the day, it is a car with a price point of a premium hatch. And it does get 6 airbags, ESP, TC, HLA and ARP. So, it is actually the FS which is the trendsetter.
SansGT is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 14th November 2020, 14:13   #225
BHPian

I went to checkout i20 today and asked the sales rep about the safety ratings. He mentioned that Hyundai is going to send this car for testing this month.

Let's wait and see what happens and if it's true. Hopefully it will score atleast 4* rating.

About the car itself, it's spacious and look nice from the front. Rear is too busy I felt. I didn't like the chrome treatment on the rear and on the sides. Another bummer is no IMT on Asta O variant which is silly. And Asta variant does not have rear adjustable headrest, fixed ones are too low! I can't believe the kind of silliness from these manufacturers.
punto_ is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks