Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 18th November 2020, 08:17   #241
GTO
Team-BHP Support

re: Hyundai i20 Review

Mod Note: No more off-topic posts please. Existing & potential owners are complaining that they want to discuss the actual car. Let's wait for the GNCAP rating and we'll start a new thread on it at that time.
GTO is offline   (20) Thanks
Old 18th November 2020, 09:47   #242
Distinguished - BHPian

Test-drive report of the 2020 i20, condensed and into crisp points :

Plus points :

# Very, very mature suspension, not bone jarring like GT TSi, soft and supple yet rides flat, very silent except when filtering sharp ridges.

# Very silent engine, almost electric in nature, no drama but it'll overtake almost any city car when revs hit the mid-range, there too its quiet.

# Spot-on haptics and interiors, from door shut to button feedback to gear lever, all feel 2 leagues above, D- Segment quality for sure (I own the Elantra)

# Bose kicks in at medium volume, perfect for vocals and Hindi jhatka matka songs (not my taste), fills the cabin with bass

# Rear seat space is excellent, no complaints here (5'10") despite adjusting for my own height in front

# The Verna is toast, aside from the boot space it offers I'd take the i20 every day of the week, perfect size for the city

# In terms of total interior packaging and build quality, this is the new leader, miles ahead of the competition including GT TSi, feels like you're driving a luxury car worth 30+ lakhs (as long as you don't focus too deep on soft-touch plastics and give Swedish massages to the dashboard)

# Steering is again, best in the segment I've driven, stable, predictable and has enough stiffness (stiffest in the segment), feedback is there too, unlike the numb Polo steering (YES, I know what I'm talking about)

# Visibility is fantastic, you know where the car is going and how the traffic around you is moving

Negatives :

# Poor low-end torque, it's gone the Vtec route, gotta smash the throttle to give the car a boost and even then its clunky and jiggly. Horrendous engine tuning, worst I've driven from Hyundai

# DCT is namesake, gotta smash the throttle and kick the A-pedal to get a boost, the Donkey-Clutch-Transmission always upshifts way, way, wayyyy too early, and I'm not even a speed-addict, I just want seamless smooth torque, not peak torque but early continuous torque. The Getz will destroy this car by miles in a drag even with just 84 ps and 134 nm purely because of ready torque.

# Missing convenience features like auto-dimming RVM, split folding rear seats, lit glove-box etc

I'd say if you want a quick automatic, the i20 DCT or for that matter any Hyundai/Kia DCT isn't for you, the Polo GT TSi has a way better programmed A-pedal and torque curve. The diesel i20 with manual though, combined with the new class-leading suspension should be a ton of fun to drive. Hope they bring the petrol turbo in manual option as well.
dark.knight is offline   (29) Thanks
Old 18th November 2020, 15:20   #243
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dexter_ View Post
Can anyone update on the real world fuel efficiency for Petrol Turbo DCT?
In my 600 odd km of driving:

City conditions- 11.8 ~ 12 kmpl.

Pune to Mumbai on the expressway- 19.6 kmpl with the cruise set to 100 kmph for the entire e-way except the downhill ghat section.

Overall Pune home to Mumbai home- 17.6 kmpl (145km)

All driving done with A/C on all the time

Last edited by Potenza : 18th November 2020 at 15:24. Reason: Correction
Potenza is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 18th November 2020, 15:36   #244
RSR
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Potenza View Post

The fuel efficiency you've got sounds good! Of course, being a small capacity turbo-petrol, FE can vary according to the driving style and conditions.

I'm sorry if you've already mentioned it somewhere on this forum, but if not, can you please take a look at your RC and share the kerb/curb weight (not gross vehicle weight) of your car here?

Last edited by RSR : 18th November 2020 at 15:39.
RSR is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th November 2020, 15:49   #245
BHPian

Quote:

Pune to Mumbai on the expressway- 19.6 kmpl with the cruise set to 100 kmph for the entire e-way except the downhill ghat section.

Overall Pune home to Mumbai home- 17.6 kmpl (145km)

Thanks a lot! The fuel efficiency figures are not too bad. Few of the amateur reviews on Youtube were reporting ultra low numbers like 6-8 kmpl.

You should be seeing this figure climb higher post your 1st service and run in period.

Understand that there is no DCT temperature gauge, but can you tell us if there is a transmission overheating warning light/ alarm?
jacob.thomas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th November 2020, 00:26   #246
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSR View Post
The fuel efficiency you've got sounds good! Of course, being a small capacity turbo-petrol, FE can vary according to the driving style and conditions.

I'm sorry if you've already mentioned it somewhere on this forum, but if not, can you please take a look at your RC and share the kerb/curb weight (not gross vehicle weight) of your car here?
Haven’t received the smart card as yet but a quick look at VAHAN gives me:

Unladen/kerb weight- 1076 kg

Laden weight/GVW- 1480 kg

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacob.thomas View Post
Thanks a lot! The fuel efficiency figures are not too bad. Few of the amateur reviews on Youtube were reporting ultra low numbers like 6-8 kmpl.

You should be seeing this figure climb higher post your 1st service and run in period.

Understand that there is no DCT temperature gauge, but can you tell us if there is a transmission overheating warning light/ alarm?
Yea the figures are not bad. So far so good. However I think bumper to bumper traffic figures will be somewhere around 8kmpl. Could be even lower but certainly not more than that.

Not too sure about the transmission temp warning light. It doesn’t show up on the cluster and haven’t read about it in the manual either.

Its been a week since we took delivery and my wife and I are both very very happy with the decision. Couldn’t have asked for more!

Last edited by Potenza : 19th November 2020 at 00:29.
Potenza is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th November 2020, 01:48   #247
RSR
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Haven’t received the smart card as yet but a quick look at VAHAN gives me:

Unladen/kerb weight- 1076 kg

Laden weight/GVW- 1480 kg
Thank you for sharing this!

I don't know what's it about Hyundai that sends all the rumour mongers and myth peddlers into overdrive.

Someone mentioned that Hyundai claims the new car is "lighter by upto 100 kg", and we already had folks claiming the new i20 weighs only 918 kg, which of course, turns out to be false!

So the new i20 1.0 Kappa T-GDi DCT Asta(O) has a kerb weight of 1076 kg.
RSR is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 19th November 2020, 12:20   #248
BHPian

Hyundai ought to bring the turbo petrol with a manual. That'll be the closest thing to a hot hatch of all the cars available in the market today.
Old 19th November 2020, 12:48   #249
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dark.knight View Post
Test-drive report of the 2020 i20, condensed and into crisp points :

Plus points :

# Very, very mature suspension, not bone jarring like GT TSi, soft and supple yet rides flat, very silent except when filtering sharp ridges.

# Spot-on haptics and interiors, from door shut to button feedback to gear lever, all feel 2 leagues above, D- Segment quality for sure (I own the Elantra)

# Bose kicks in at medium volume, perfect for vocals and Hindi jhatka matka songs (not my taste), fills the cabin with bass

# Rear seat space is excellent, no complaints here (5'10") despite adjusting for my own height in front

# In terms of total interior packaging and build quality, this is the new leader, miles ahead of the competition including GT TSi, feels like you're driving a luxury car worth 30+ lakhs (as long as you don't focus too deep on soft-touch plastics and give Swedish massages to the dashboard)

# Steering is again, best in the segment I've driven, stable, predictable and has enough stiffness (stiffest in the segment), feedback is there too, unlike the numb Polo steering (YES, I know what I'm talking about)

# Visibility is fantastic, you know where the car is going and how the traffic around you is moving

Negatives :

# Poor low-end torque, it's gone the Vtec route, gotta smash the throttle to give the car a boost and even then its clunky and jiggly. Horrendous engine tuning, worst I've driven from Hyundai

# DCT is namesake, gotta smash the throttle and kick the A-pedal to get a boost, the Donkey-Clutch-Transmission always upshifts way, way, wayyyy too early, and I'm not even a speed-addict, I just want seamless smooth torque, not peak torque but early continuous torque. The Getz will destroy this car by miles in a drag even with just 84 ps and 134 nm purely because of ready torque.

# Missing convenience features like auto-dimming RVM, split folding rear seats, lit glove-box etc
First of all the Dark Knight is my favorite Movie of All Time!

Now straight to the point: How does the i20 P compare to the Atroz P in terms of ride quality handling and high speed characteristics?

Further for the Bhpians who have driven the new i20 NA how does its performance compare to Altroz P ?

I recently drove Altroz P for almost 300 KMs on city/highway/hills combined and found the performance of Altroz far better than last gen i20 NA at low end and comparable on highway (Except refinement levels). Ride quality and handling of Altroz was miles ahead of Last gen i20.
Old 19th November 2020, 13:05   #250
BHPian

Detailed Comparison between i20,Altroz & Baleno/Glanza

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
What was the kerb weight of the outgoing 1.2L Kappa?

That should give a good comparo how much weigth the DCT and Turbo adds.
1018 Kgs if we go by the figures posted in our Official review:-

Hyundai i20 Review-picture1.jpg

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offic...al-review.html (Hyundai Elite i20 : Official Review)

Last edited by Car Architect : 19th November 2020 at 13:18.
Car Architect is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th November 2020, 13:12   #251
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSR View Post
Thank you for sharing this!

I don't know what's it about Hyundai that sends all the rumour mongers and myth peddlers into overdrive.

Someone mentioned that Hyundai claims the new car is "lighter by upto 100 kg", and we already had folks claiming the new i20 weighs only 918 kg, which of course, turns out to be false!

So the new i20 1.0 Kappa T-GDi DCT Asta(O) has a kerb weight of 1076 kg.

Old 19th November 2020, 13:17   #252
BHPian

Quote:

The current i20 is also offered with the 1.2 kappa. Comparing weight of both turbo variant vs non turbo would also give a good estimate.
Old 19th November 2020, 13:51   #253
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Nobody View Post
The current i20 is also offered with the 1.2 kappa. Comparing weight of both turbo variant vs non turbo would also give a good estimate.
But Hyundai doesn't publish the weight right? So we would have to wait for a Bhpian or owner to get his 1.2 NA variant and tell us the figures.
Old 19th November 2020, 14:13   #254
RSR
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Yep! The kerb weight of 1076 kg as mentioned before, is applicable only to the 1.0 Kappa T-GDi DCT Asta(O) variant.

Without the sunroof, side & curtain airbags, ESP+VSM etc., the lower variant is bound to be somewhat lighter (by 25 ~ 30 kg is my guess).

The iMT variants may weigh marginally less than the corresponding DCT ones.

The 1.5 CRDi variants are bound to be heavier. Hyundai U2 series diesel engines are generally heavy because of their cast iron blocks.

The 1.2 Kappa CVT variants may weigh in the same range as the corresponding 1.0 Kappa T-GDi iMT & DCT variants. This is again just a guess.

The 1.2 Kappa MT variants would weigh the lightest in the i20 range. By how much?

"Lighter by upto 100 kg compared to the previous platform" is the claim made by Hyundai, according to reports.

Does this mean a 1.2 Kappa MT variant would weigh a mere 918 kg compared to the 1076 kg of the 1.0 Kappa T-GDi DCT Asta(O)? A difference of a whopping 158 kg???

It's a pity that unlike some manufacturers, Hyundai does not provide the kerb weight range in their brochures.

Last edited by RSR : 19th November 2020 at 14:35.
Old 20th November 2020, 13:50   #255
BHPian

Hyundai India has revealed that they have received over 20,000 bookings for the new i20, in just 20 days since launch. 4,000 units have already been delivered.

https://www.rushlane.com/2020-hyunda...-12382356.html
Deadpool is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed