Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 5th July 2021, 22:16   #376
Senior - BHPian

re: Hyundai i20 Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by meetbhav View Post
Just booked the Magna variant, awaiting delivery.
Any suggestions that I should cancel the earlier booking and select this one instead cause we are just looking for bare necessities on the car.
Even the Magna variant misses out on alloy wheels(gets the wheel cover, heck even the Sportz has stylized steel wheels), so I am not missing out on much.
T-BHPians valuable advice required. Thank you
You need to be much more specific regarding your requirements, priorities in the car and importantly, your budget. Otherwise what advice can you get?
goandude is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th July 2021, 10:48   #377
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by goandude View Post
You need to be much more specific regarding your requirements, priorities in the car and importantly, your budget. Otherwise what advice can you get?
Well thank you for the reply sir. I had done a complete thread on this topic stating my requirements but unfortunately the thread was deleted by some moderator.
As of now I am going ahead and taking delivery of the magna variant as decided earlier.

Last edited by meetbhav : 6th July 2021 at 10:59.
Old 6th July 2021, 22:02   #378
Senior - BHPian

Mods : How come there isn't an Official Review for the new i20 ?
Mortis is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 12th July 2021, 09:00   #379
Senior - BHPian

Hyundai i20 Era base variant walkaround.

Hyundai i20 Review-screenshot_20210712085349_youtube.jpg

Hyundai i20 Review-screenshot_20210712085406_youtube.jpg

Hyundai i20 Review-screenshot_20210712085445_youtube.jpg

Hyundai i20 Review-screenshot_20210712085533_youtube.jpg

Hyundai i20 Review-screenshot_20210712085642_youtube.jpg

Hyundai i20 Review-screenshot_20210712085736_youtube.jpg
Venkatesh is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th July 2021, 11:13   #380
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venkatesh View Post
Hyundai i20 Era base variant walkaround.
I think they removed way too many features . Hyundai should have retained central locking and power windows for all four doors . Music system place holder looks ugly , they should at least closed it neatly .They are kind of forcing the customers to go for magna with all these omissions .
VigneshMC is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th July 2021, 13:47   #381
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by meetbhav View Post
As of now I am going ahead and taking delivery of the magna variant as decided earlier.
Good decision going ahead with the Magna. The Era has a fixed steering wheel! On a premium hatchback!

Hyundai is taking feature deletion to a whole new level here.
John316_WRC is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th July 2021, 14:21   #382
BANNED

This is a very good decision by Hyundai to launch the Era variant, the moment the ex showroom crosses 6L, the RTO charges balloon up, keeping this below that mark would help garner sales. No point launching it a penny over 6L.

Towards the fag end of the Elite i20 lifecycle, I was offered 5.70 OTR for the Era, that was phenomenal value, only rear power windows and a music system was missing. This updated one at 6.5-6.6 OTR shall be an absolute grabber when compared to the Baleno and other so called premium hatchbacks.

I just cannot digest the fact how Hyundai is milking the customers, with this decade old engine ranging from 5.5 OTR (Era Gi10) to 12+ OTR (Venue and Sonet).

As I said, the new i20 at 6.5-6.6, shall be an absolute steal.
Torquedo is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th July 2021, 20:13   #383
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torquedo View Post
This is a very good decision by Hyundai to launch the Era variant, the moment the ex showroom crosses 6L, the RTO charges balloon up, keeping this below that mark would help garner sales. No point launching it a penny over 6L.

Road tax slabs in Karnataka are 13% for cars under 5 L and 14% for those costing 5 to 10 L. I doubt if Hyundai can sell Era less than 5 L and besides that it's just one percentage difference.

Coming to the pics and video of the Era. IMO it looks hideous with those wheels and empty ICE space. But OTOH there is much scope for customising with a nice set of wheels/fog lights /DRLs and interior make up of your choice.
Old 23rd July 2021, 19:46   #384
BHPian

Is there any news regarding the launch of the n-line variant of the i20? I assume it will come equipped with paddle shifters and sport less chrome on the exterior.
Old 25th July 2021, 16:27   #385
Senior - BHPian

My cherry red i20: review at 2000 km

This is a short review of my i20 Sportz 1.0 turbo IMT bought on 31 March 21 and driven about 2k kms till now with a mix of city and highway drives including ghats. To understand my views, know that i have been driving Swift Dzire VDI for last 12 years and did 80k km in it, mostly highway runs. I’m a sedate driver and its usually only just two of us in the car, me and my Speed Governor, who I married 30+ years ago. My requirements were a comfortable hatch with a quiet cabin, powerful engine, automatic or clutchless transmission, light on the pocket to run and have extensive service network. Hyundai i20 Review-front-quarter-view.jpg

The car is a well rounded machine for both daily run about as well as highway. It has the pulling power to take 4 adults comfortably, NVH is great so that I can enjoy the music from the excellent Arkamys 4 speaker sound system while travelling on the highway at 80 to 90 kmph. Faster than this the wind noise tends to creep into the cabin. The head unit is a breeze to handle navigation, music, phone calls and it pairs wirelessly with my Realme 7 running Android 11, in about 15 seconds.

Visibility all round is good but the rear visibility is hampered by any stuff you put on the parcel shelf. The rear camera can be slaved to the HU while driving but this is not very useful due to it’s very wide angle lens and distortion of distance. It’s great for parking though and you can reverse right till your bumper nearly touches the limit. Rear ORVMs are internally adjustable and foldable. My use has been to lower the Left side mirror to be able to see the curb and my rear wheel while reversing as close to the curb as possible. The windscreen reflects light off the dashboard which is distracting.

Ergonomics are good, with horizontal and vertical adjustability of the seat and rake and reach of the steering one can find an ideal driving position. But one grouse is the arm rest. It’s practically useless as my elbow can’t rest on it while holding the steering. Hyundai i20 Review-elbow-rest.jpgAnd just the tip of my elbow can rest on it with my hand on the gear shift. The leatherette contoured seats are comfortable for long drives but it does get hot and sweaty in warm weather.

I can’t comment much on the driving dynamics of the car since I have not pushed it to it’s limits but on hairpin bends and on hard braking she handles well without too much body roll/dive. Haven't had the ABS cut in so far.

On start up the engine idles at 1.3 k and settles down to 8 k on warming up after which I can hardly feel the engine vibrations or sound in the cabin. Power is deficient under 1.5 k but it’s not like the DDIS engine with it’s dead feel below 1.8k and powerful surge after that. Here the lag as well as the surge of power is not as acutely felt, in other words smoother power delivery with the engine coming into the power band after 1.8 k. The MID suggests shifting at 2k in all gears and this is fine in city and gives good FE but on highway I generally shift up at 2.5 or so. At 80 kmph engine is at 1.8 RPM in top gear, 2.2 in 5th, 2.7 in 4th. Sixth gear is good for cruising at a steady speed but there is very slow acceleration in this gear. Engine breaking is not as strong as the DDIS engine. AC doesn’t cause appreciable difference to the engine power.

The IMT transmission is great, it took me some time to get used to it but my left leg thanks me in B to B traffic. The creep forward function at 1st and 2nd gear is a boon in traffic. One issue I found, is for example joining a main road from a side road which is on an incline, if you give it too much throttle the car will jump onto the main road, which is dangerous. One has to get used to the amount of throttle input required on slopes. The other thing is that there is a very slight lag from the time you depress the throttle to the time the car responds. This is important when starting off from an incline on a hill where you have to release the brake or hand brake to move forward. You have to allow for this small lag.

The suspension is firm but not harsh or uncomfortable (like Swift Dzire with 15” wheels), nor is it plush (like Verna on 16” wheels). It soaks up bumps on broken roads quite well. However, on speed breakers around my place which I am so familiar with, I have to cross them at much lower speeds than my Dzire, otherwise there is a resounding THUD when the suspension extends to it’s max limit after crossing the speed bumps. I changed stock steel wheels to gun metal grey alloys, OE of Verna SX, as they are of exact same dimensions but weigh 2 kgs less.Hyundai i20 Review-low-front-view.jpg

The car gives me a FE of 20+ kmpl on highway and around 15 in the city. I switch off at traffic lights more than 30 seconds and rarely cross 2k RPM. MID average reads less than tank to tank method by about 5%. AC drops FE by 2 kmpl on highway. Hyundai i20 Review-mileage-pic-mid.jpg

Other niggles worth mentioning are only a single horn is present, it is adequate but not nice sounding. If headlights are not in AUTO mode, it keeps beeping, reminding you to switch on lights if there is overcast conditions or passing under metro station. The paint job inside the engine bay and in the boot is not good. There is no anti theft alarm; that is the car doesn’t raise an alarm if you disturb it while it is locked. Hyundai i20 Review-tpms-sensor.jpgTPMS is quite accurate and shows increase in pressure of 2/3 psi after driving 20 odd kms. Opening the boot from inside is not possible, so in case of mall security check, either you get out of the car to open it or the security man needs to feel for a small nipple under the boot lit and press it, not very easy to do. Like I mentioned in an earlier post, the spare wheel can be filled with air only after taking it out as it is placed upside down.

Overall, I am quite happy with the car. It suits my requirements well and I especially like the way it looks from the front and sides but not particularly from the rear. OTOH the front grill is a nightmare to keep clean with all the diamond shapes it has.
goandude is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 30th July 2021, 07:05   #386
Distinguished - BHPian

Just came across a video on YouTube wherein the person claims that the tow hook bolt provided by the company doesn't fit the slot. There is a size mismatch between the tow bolt and the slot. Can the owners check if this is indeed true or is it just a fake alert?

Last edited by BoneCollector : 30th July 2021 at 07:08.
Old 2nd August 2021, 07:20   #387
BHPian

Hello folks. Need some help regarding the purchase of my car. As of now, I have zeroed in on the i20 in sportz trim.

I have already Test driven the 1.2 petrol. Coming from a much smaller car (GM Spark) i have no reason to complain.

However, have come across numerous posts about the poor fuel efficiency and the underpowered nature of 1.2 kappa engine. This has left me bothered.

My usage isn't much. Would clock around 10k km annually. But half of it would be Highway runs.

Not getting the best of both worlds is an area of concern. Add ever rising fuel prices to this.

Yes, my running is low. Doesn't warrant a diesel.

But considering the overall fuel efficiency, 50 percent highway runs & the fact that i intend to keep the car long term, does it make any sense to opt for the 1.5 diesel at additional cost ?
Or am i still better off with 1.2 petrol?
Old 2nd August 2021, 08:30   #388
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoneCollector View Post
Just came across a video on YouTube wherein the person claims that the tow hook bolt provided by the company doesn't fit the slot. There is a size mismatch between the tow bolt and the slot. Can the owners check if this is indeed true or is it just a fake alert?

https://Youtube.com/watch?v=IJy5qCXvzSY?feature=share
Let me confirm this from my friends’ cars. This in all likelihood is just a false alarm.

Coincidentally yesterday was the first time I was checking the tow hook bolt on the front cross bar on a friend’s Polo and it didn’t fit! Guess what? It is threaded in the opposite direction! i.e. not the usual leftie-loosie righty-tighty. We had to screw it in, in the opposite direction. This was something we learnt yesterday! Pretty sure this dude is doing it wrong.

EDIT: Just checked Google and seems like the front tow hooks are reverse threaded in some cars. Can you check on your Brezza how this is?

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 2nd August 2021 at 08:53.
Gannu_1 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2021, 08:31   #389
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahul_9327 View Post
Yes, my running is low. Doesn't warrant a diesel.

But considering the overall fuel efficiency, 50 percent highway runs & the fact that i intend to keep the car long term, does it make any sense to opt for the 1.5 diesel at additional cost ?
Or am i still better off with 1.2 petrol?
Ten thousand kilometers per annum is decent running, mine is about 8k and still I find diesel useful.

That apart, yes, the 1.2 litre engine is not only underpowered for cars the size of i20, it is also tuned in a way that power is felt only post 2k rpm, you need to test drive one asap to know how it feels to you personally. The 1.5 diesel in manual will be fun though, you can play with the gearing and feel the surge all the way from 1500 to 3000 rpm. It'll also fetch better resale for sure.

My opinion would be to take a long test drive of the petrol 1.2 and then decide, sometimes what is underpowered for one would be the sweet spot for the other. Hyundai in a bid to improve efficiency and longevity, has killed the torque in its petrol engines, because the 1.1 Santro engine and the 1.3 Getz petrol engines were a breeze to drive due to good torque supply from 1200 rpm itself, those days are long gone.
dark.knight is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2021, 17:45   #390
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post
Let me confirm this from my friends’ cars. This in all likelihood is just a false alarm.
Checked and fits just fine.

Hyundai i20 Review-89b094a9ca8440f69790c310a8149aba.jpeg

The tow hook screwed in, in the clockwise direction as usual.
Gannu_1 is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed