Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 5th November 2020, 14:55   #31
BHPian

re: Hyundai i20 Review

Not sure if its already mentioned here , but I find the door handle alignment a little bit odd. Once you see it you cant un-see it. Mods, please feel free to delete or remove it if it was already covered.
Attached Thumbnails
Hyundai i20 Review-screenshot-20201105-2.52.05-pm.png  

vj_torqueaddict is offline   (31) Thanks
Old 5th November 2020, 15:11   #32
Senior - BHPian

The 2020 Hyundai i20 TVC

RM Motorsports is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th November 2020, 15:17   #33
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by freakmuzik View Post
Altroz XZ(O) Diesel.
Altroz comes across as good VFM, but it also loses out on the specifications. i20 has an additional 10hp, 50Nm, a 6th gear, option of 6 airbags and much better refinement (going by other cars with this engine). Still hard to justify the premium over the Altroz.

Even more interesting battle in terms of price is with the Figo. In the Titanium Blu diesel MT variant - you get the same 100ps, slightly lesser 215Nm and the option of 6 airbags - at almost 2.5 lakhs (ex showroom) cheaper than the i20!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parts007 View Post
Pricing comparison with other premium hatchbacks from ACI.
No matter how hard the new i20 tries, Jazz is still higher in (over)pricing.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 5th November 2020, 15:18   #34
BHPian

The pricing kind of opened up a separate segment in premium hatchback category.
Other than that the car seems loaded with all features one can ask for.
Old 5th November 2020, 15:24   #35
KPR
BANNED

My first view opinion: In no angle this i20 looks premium to my eyes. Earlier i20 was a timeless design but this one looks nothing but a big brother of Nios i10. Hyundai has concentrated more Kia way on feature list but lost on retaining old i20's timeless design.
KPR is offline   (22) Thanks
Old 5th November 2020, 15:26   #36
BHPian

I am not impressed with the looks on this car, or those on any of Hyundai's latest launches for that matter. Something is very wrong with this new design language they have come up with, which makes their cars look a bit wonky, to be honest. Take the new i20 for example. From the front, the car looks like it's stooping lower and lower. This causes the car to have an awkward stance. Same is the case with rear, where the weird tail lamp clusters play the spoilsport. The Elite i20 styling was much cleaner and looked more sophisticated. In the interiors too, the horizontal slat like structure of the dashboard will be too much of a pain to clean the dust from.

It looks like Hyundai has given away their styling prowess to the Kia guys and has settled down to experimenting with styling instead.
mayd85 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 5th November 2020, 15:34   #37
BHPian

Thanks for a detailed review of initial impressions with lots of pics.

My personal take aways:

1) Pricing is a turn-off as reflected in most comments; However, that also shows the confidence of Hyundai in their market sensing and pricing strategy.
2) I would have liked more premium textures than boring horizontal slats everywhere
3) Hyundai should treat our customers in some maturity rather than feeling we are having too much love of tech cartoons than classiness. Instrument cluster is simply a weird cartoon image. I can't imagine myself staring at that while driving. Would wait for our official drive review.
4) Can't understand why Hyundai is simply adamant with that lifeless 1.2L Petrol. Just too many feedbacks on vast threads and forums. May be they are wanting to push Turbo by deliberate contrast!

I am not sure to personally feel Altroz will be in a advantageous position with this pricing difference. Apart from brand and whatsoever reasons, it's about how many willing to take a plunge to have a TATA for a premium hatch. Time will tell.

Last edited by Pam81 : 5th November 2020 at 15:39. Reason: Typos
Pam81 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th November 2020, 15:37   #38
Senior - BHPian

No automatic in diesel is either a big mistake for Hyundai. Or a strategy. So automatic diesel prospects can look towards Hyundai Aura/ Verna or Kia Sonet. Is that what it looks like the case, here?

Last edited by k_ajay : 5th November 2020 at 15:40.
Old 5th November 2020, 15:45   #39
BHPian

This indeed is a "KILLER" pricing by Hyundai!
Not that it wasn't earlier but now suddenly, Tata Altroz is extremely VFM car with 5 star safety rating!
rocketfinger is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 5th November 2020, 15:47   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Hyundai claims 10 First-in-Segment features on the all-new i20 –
  • Hill Assist Control
Wow Hyundai, Seems you haven't driven the GT TSI in 2013, which has a very similar feature called the hill hold functionality!

Or do is it due to the fact the i20 is not in the same class
1.2TSI7DSG is offline   (21) Thanks
Old 5th November 2020, 15:52   #41
BHPian

As per the latest manufacturing trend - Hyundai must have reduced the kerb weight and increased the structural rigidity of the new i20. I hope the decrease in kerb weight doesn't effect the high speed stability and vehicle dynamics.
Neelanjan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th November 2020, 16:10   #42
BHPian

The one things that no one seems to be talking about.

Only the Sportz variant of the new i20 has wireless Android Auto and wireless Apple CarPlay in India (This variant has 8-inch touchscreen unit). The Asta and Asta (O) variants don't get such an important feature even though they are costlier and more premium (These variants have 10-inch touchscreen). I have attached a screenshot of the brochure below for your reference. I don't know what's the logic behind this decision from Hyundai. How can they give one feature in a low-end variant and miss it out on the top-end? Doesn't makes sense from a customer point of view.

Hyundai i20 Review-screenshot_20201105160011.jpg

International variant of the new i20 with 8-inch touchscreen gets wireless Android Auto and wireless Apple CarPlay out of the factory, just like India. Whereas, the variants with 10-inch touchscreen will get this feature in H1 2021 (According to Hyundai's official launch video of the international variant; I've attached screenshot attached below for your reference). I wonder if that could be the case with Indian variant too. Hyundai should have clarified if the 10-inch variant will get the wireless Android Auto and wireless Apple CarPlay in future.

Hyundai i20 Review-screenshot_20201105155816.jpg

Below is my something that I'm considering with regards to my car buying decision and I think it is something that would concern many people.

I was looking for a car under INR 12 lakhs for my dad. I need it to have a good automatic gearbox (TC, CVT, DCT), wireless Android Auto and wireless Apple CarPlay (I don't want my dad to go through the hassle of connecting the cables. Plus, I don't want there to be wire clutter in my dad's car), cruise control, and most importantly, ESP. With the budget and all these features in mind, I was eyeing the new i20 and the Nissan Magnite as they were reported to have all the features that I want and come with a price tag that's suitable for me.

Now, if I get the top-end automatic gearbox variant of the new i20, the 1L Turbo GDi Asta (O) 7DCT, I'll get a good gearbox, cruise control, and ESP. However, I'll miss out on wireless Android Auto and wireless Apple CarPlay. If I get the Sportz variant, I'll get wireless Android Auto and wireless Apple CarPlay. However, I'll miss out on cruise control and ESP. So, no matter even if I'm willing to spend INR 13 lakhs on road for the top-end automatic variant of the new i20, I'll not get the features that I want.

Now, the top-end automatic gearbox variant of the Nissan Magnite, the XV Premium (O) CVT, has all the features that I want, i.e., ESP, cruise control, and also wireless Android Auto and wireless Apple CarPlay. Plus, that car is expected to cost around 11.5 lakhs on road (at least according to leaked comparison slides of the car). So, I'm getting everything that I want for 1.5 lakhs cheaper with the Magnite. No reason for me to go for the new i20. I know the quality of interiors (among other things) of the Nissan Magnite would not be as good as that of i20 but that's okay for me. Hard plastics don't bother me as much as the lack of ESP, cruise control, and wireless Android Auto and wireless Apple CarPlay.

Also, people undermining wireless connectivity of the Android Auto and Apple CarPlay will know its importance once you start using the Android Auto and Apple CarPlay on a regular basis. However, some people could say otherwise.

I think there are many people like me who would consider Nissan Magnite over the new i20 for the same reasons that I'm choosing the former over the latter.
AbidIqbalShaik is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 5th November 2020, 16:13   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by armaan_singh View Post
Touching 13 Lacs OTR for the top end variant is seriously premium hot hatch pricing, and only those who really want a hot hatch will concede, and IMO that these buyers are far and few between, and will mostly end up picking the Sonet or Venue over a "Hatchback".
Nobody in their right minds will buy it as a hot hatch either given Hyundai's vague steering.
chncar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th November 2020, 16:20   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1.2TSI7DSG View Post
Wow Hyundai, Seems you haven't driven the GT TSI in 2013, which has a very similar feature called the hill hold functionality!

Or do is it due to the fact the i20 is not in the same class
Not only GT TSI. Even Ford Figo 1.5 AT had ESP,TC and Hill Assist (although it is easier to sight a Loch Ness Monster than a Ford Figo 1.5 AT).

Pricing wise the i20 1.0 DCT has more features than the Venue SX+ DCT and almost matches the feature list of Kia Sonnet GTX+ DCT. Going by the Kia Sonnet's pricing of 12.99 Lakhs, I would say i20 1.0 DCT is reasonably priced. Going by sensibility, I would say Hyundai and Kia have gone bonkers with pricing.

Last edited by ashlil : 5th November 2020 at 16:21.
ashlil is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 5th November 2020, 16:27   #45
Senior - BHPian

Top end variant (7 DCT Asta (O)) costs 14 lakhs in Bangalore! I was thinking that this is very close to Venue and Sonet but I realized that Kia Sonet top end model costs 16 lakhs here. In general, cars are becoming expensive with every release.
Polo Highline AT (11 lakhs onroad) looks cheaper all of a sudden. Of course it misses on many features but the new i20 still may not be as nice to drive as the Polo AT even with DCT and 120 BHP Turbo engine.
Guna is offline   (12) Thanks

Most Viewed