Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st March 2022, 14:40   #466
BHPian

Re: Hyundai i20 Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by goandude View Post
Got my second free service done this morning at Advait Hyundai Indiranagar. Car was exactly 12 months old and 8500 on the odometer. They filled 3.6 liters of BS VI Turbo Petrol Engine oil @ 338 per liter. Oil filter cost 75 and something called car care for 200. Let me see how she runs and will update.
Can you find out the exact spec of the engine oil used? It would be mentioned in your service invoice.
Old 31st March 2022, 14:47   #467
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Potenza View Post
Can you find out the exact spec of the engine oil used? It would be mentioned in your service invoice.
Invoice just mentions as I have quoted above but the container is as shown below
Hyundai i20 Review-img20220331wa0011.jpg
goandude is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th April 2022, 22:56   #468
BHPian

My car has started emitting this faint rattle while shifting from 1st to 2nd and onwards till the 4th gear. First it seemed that something is loose but the more I pay attention the more I’m convinced that it is from the DCT since its heard only while shifting upto the 4th gear. No rattle on any of the downshifts at all.

Couldn’t find anything about this on the web except some people talking about a similar rattling sound on their DCT equipped Velosters a few years back. Nothing recent.

Anyone else with an i20/Venue with a DCT with the same issue?
Old 12th April 2022, 13:43   #469
Distinguished - BHPian

Hyundai i20 scores 3 star Global NCAP safety rating.

Compared to the previous-gen model, the 2022 i20 gets lesser adult occupancy score, but has stepped up in child occupancy protection.

Hyundai i20 Review-1.jpg

ADULT OCCUPANT
The protection offered to the driver’s head was adequate and passenger’s head was good. Driver’s and passenger’s neck showed good protection.
Driver’s chest showed weak protection and passenger’s chest showed good protection. Driver’s and passenger’s knees showed marginal protection as
they could impact with dangerous structures behind the dashboard supported by the Tranfascia tube. Driver tibias and passenger right tibia showed
adequate protection while passenger left tibia showed good protection. The bodyshell was rated as unstable and it was not capable of withstanding
further loadings. Footwell area was rated as unstable.
The car offers standard SBR for driver and passenger. All of the above explains the three stars for
adult occupant protection.

CHILD OCCUPANT

The child seat for the 3 year old was installed FWF using the ISOFIX anchorages and TT. Even though it could prevent excessive forward movement of
the head its deceleration showed poor protection to the neck and good protection to the chest. The 1.5 year old was installed RWF with the ISOFIX
anchorages and support leg while offering good protection to head and chest. CRS marking was permanent. The recommended CRSs did not show
incompatibility. The vehicle offers lapbelt in the rear centre position. The car has ISOFIX anchorages as standard. All of the above explains the three
stars for child occupant protection.

Last edited by volkman10 : 12th April 2022 at 13:46.
volkman10 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 13th April 2022, 10:55   #470
BHPian

As usual, we care more about cost than about safety. The govt should incentives buyers to buy 5 star rated vehicles with tax breaks.
Valhalla1979 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th April 2022, 11:01   #471

Guys help! My steering mounted controls don't work when I use Bluetooth audio to play media through my phone. Even the on screen buttons don't play the next/previous song and play/pause.
Old 27th April 2022, 10:58   #472
BHPian

Dear All,

Can Diesel i20 owners please share their mileage figures for the city and highway conditions?

A relative is almost finalizing the i20.
N4Nikunj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th April 2022, 20:43   #473
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by N4Nikunj View Post
Dear All,

Can Diesel i20 owners please share their mileage figures for the city and highway conditions?
I get around 15 KMPL (from MID) in normal city driving conditions but only around 11 KMPL in bumper to bumper traffic.

Highway figures are much better at around 21 KMPL (tank to tank method).

I'm not a very sedate driver but not an aggressive one either and drive mostly with 4+ passengers and AC turned on always. Hope this helps.

Mod Note - Please do not post regarding high, illegal speeds.

Last edited by Turbanator : 28th April 2022 at 21:29. Reason: removed mention of high speeds.
Old 29th April 2022, 09:30   #474

What is this hole in the rear wheel arch for? Road noise creeps in due to absence of cladding on the rear wheels arch. The scoop like shape (*) at the bottom only facilitate deposit of dust and cleaning them is unbearable in case of mud. I can observe some surface rust developing here.

Hyundai i20 Review-82364d1a130e409383acc0cfcfff242d.jpeg
Hyundai i20 Review-a433a0a252f4402791748751aa37a458.jpeg
Hyundai i20 Review-f413ca326fa048e6ae9e363b4c00bf9b.jpeg
Old 9th May 2022, 10:52   #475
Senior - BHPian

Petrol vs Diesel

We almost finalized the i20 Asta(O) for my wife, as it is currently the most premium hatchback in the segment with class leading features, space and safety. One test drive and it sealed the deal for us. Current i20 has a WOW factor like no other car in the segment.

However, the petrol engine does not have the spark. On the other hand, the diesel is total fun to drive (not as fun as a TSI) and far better throttle response, even in City driving conditions and obviously far better mileage figures.

My concern is that Hyundai is one of the few companies left in India, who are still offering a diesel engine. One fine day, all companies will stop producing a diesel engine and move to Petrol/Hybrid/EV options only, just like Maruti or Honda have done already.

Is it safe to buy a diesel car in 2022 and will we be able to keep it for next 4-5 years at least?

Please share your valuable opinion.
Old 15th May 2022, 11:38   #476

Fuel Efficiency check

An eternity passed while beloved and I drove, has not even traversed 1000 km after months. I had to move abroad just after taking the delivery and hence the car remain immobile, occasionally driven by family member for the sake for running.

The mighty stagnation of the car was robbing my sleep. Today did a run of 36.6 km with a mileage of 22.4 Km/L. As it is still under 1k km, kept it below 2000 rpm with gear shifts at 1700 rpm and AC running at all time.

Hyundai i20 Review-219e2658094941ecbafc22c0175904d3.png

In the natural habitat.

Hyundai i20 Review-bc87664faa3c4cccba0071dec0d685b9.jpeg
Old 22nd May 2022, 19:17   #477
BHPian

In the new 2022 versions of i20, Hyundai has made a few additions and subtractions. Hyundai's online brochure has not been updated and still show the features of the old versions.

The 2020 version of i20 Sportz had wireless android auto. Does anybody know if this feature is retained in the Sportz variant of the 2022 version? Feedback from the owners of i20 Sportz (2022) would be appreciated.
Old 22nd May 2022, 22:09   #478
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrs1951 View Post
The 2020 version of i20 Sportz had wireless android auto. Does anybody know if this feature is retained in the Sportz variant of the 2022 version? Feedback from the owners of i20 Sportz (2022) would be appreciated.
Hi rrs1951, not an owner yet, but I've booked the 2022 i20 Sportz 1.0 Turbo DCT (new trim for 2022). The Sportz 2022 gets the 8-inch touch screen system so it has wireless Android Auto/Apple Carplay.
TejasKinger is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2022, 12:59   #479
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrs1951 View Post
In the new 2022 versions of i20, Hyundai has made a few additions and subtractions. Hyundai's online brochure has not been updated and still show the features of the old versions.

I am not a 2022 i20 owner yet. As per the updated 2022 i20 brochure wireless android auto /Apple carplay connectivity feature is available.

This feature is available in the below trims.
  1. Sportz (All Petrol variants 1.2L MT,1.2L IVT, 1.0 iMT, 1.0 DCT and Diesel variant 1.5L MT)
  2. Asta - Available in 1.2L MT only
This feature is not available in Asta 1.0L iMT, since it has a 10.25 inch(26.03) infotainment system. The same will be applicable in Asta(0) Variant.

The same information is already available in the brochure.
  • It means 8 inch (20.32cm) infotainment system has a default feature of wireless android auto /Apple carplay.
  • 10.25 inch(26.03) infotainment system doesn't have wireless android auto /Apple carplay.
Hyundai i20 Review-i20_wireless.png

Name:  i20_wireless_1.PNG
Views: 2105
Size:  20.3 KB

The updated information is already updated in my previous post

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offic...ml#post5273121 (Hyundai i20 Review)
Attached Files
File Type: pdf i20-Hatchback-2020.pdf (1.18 MB, 196 views)
JacksonStorm is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st June 2022, 08:02   #480

The 3rd gen i20 launched in India in 2020 with a completely new design and various engine and gearbox options. We were one of the first customers of this car back in December 2020, and our i20 has done over 30k km till the present day.

Design - Exteriors and Interiors

Ours is the Sportz variant with ivt gearbox. This is my father's daily driver, and I drive this when I come home during college breaks. I wasn't a fan of the looks of the car when it launched, but I have grown a liking for it since it entered our garage. Because it is the Sportz variant, the car comes with halogen headlamps, and I feel that it spoils the looks of the car a bit. The design of the car is busy but doesn't bother me much. It has a low slung stance, and I feel it would have looked even better if it was a little closer to the ground, but that would have hampered the practicality, so can't really complain. Overall I love the design, and it has grown on me so much that people around me always find me staring at any i20 passing by. I must say, this car is a rare sight compared to the previous-gen i20.

Hyundai i20 Review-img_20210307_174108.jpg

The car's interiors looked very plasticky when I first saw them in the videos, and it is true, but they don't feel bad in person at all. The dashboard has a nice texture to it. The handrest is soft-touch plastic, and I wish it was the same for the doors where you rest your elbows, but not exactly a deal-breaker. The layout itself is good. The 8" touchscreen comes with wireless android auto and apple car play, physical buttons, and is slightly tilted towards the driver. The manual AC controls don't feel cheap. The four-spoke steering feels good to hold onto and looks nice on the eyes, though its size could have been a bit smaller. The car comes with all-black interiors, but the air conditioner is strong and cools the cabin quickly. Overall the interiors have a nice premium feel to them.

The space inside is ample. There is good shoulder room between the driver and the front passenger. I have limited experience of the rear seat as I am generally the one driving, but from what I have experienced, the seats at the rear have good legroom, but thigh support is a bit lacking for me(I am almost 6 feet).

Driving experience (In the initial days)

The car is powered by a 1.2 l NA 4 cylinder engine that makes 85 hp and 113Nm of torque, and this goes to the wheels through an IVT gearbox that is basically a CVT gearbox in Hyundai's language. If I were to describe the performance briefly, I would say it is smooth and adequate. The engine delivers the power in a very linear manner. The driving experience is smooth as long as you drive with a light foot. Put the gearbox in D mode, foot off the brakes, and the car moves forward at a crawling speed that is helpful in bumper to bumper traffic. I noticed a few times that the car is not very responsive to light throttle inputs and suddenly accelerates if you apply a little more pressure on the gas pedal when crawling. This could catch you off guard sometimes when parking or reversing.

Honestly, I was a little disappointed, when I first heard that Dad was getting this car from his company. I had driven the Innova Crysta, Mahindra Scorpio, Honda Mobilio and the Toyota Corolla Altis before our i20, all diesel-powered and manual, and it's fair to say that I was addicted to the torque rush of the diesel engines. I always kept the gearbox in sports mode because I had this mental block that the car was underpowered, but things got better as I spent more time behind the wheel and got acquainted with the way it delivers its performance. I observed that the more I tried to push the car more I was disappointed. The rubber-band effect is not very pronounced if you drive with a light foot, which I didn't do in the initial days. Press hard on the accelerator pedal, and the revs will rise up, the engine that is otherwise very silent will sound louder, but the car itself won't make any progress. I remember a drive from Panaji to Netravali in Goa that involved some beautiful curvy roads. I was pushing the car with hard acceleration, only to be disappointed. My dad in the passenger seat, who obviously has had more experience with the car, suggested driving with a light foot, and to my surprise, I enjoyed doing that on our return drive. I was doing good speeds through the corners. It's just that I was getting to that speeds a little slower and in a more calm manner. The engine felt relaxed and was hardly audible in the car with the music off. Dad observed me enjoying the drive, and said "told you so" but in a friendly manner. After all, I wasn't making a hole in his pocket by wasting fuel due to unnecessary acceleration.

Driving experience part-2

I am writing this section after recently completing an almost 2000km road trip involving the scenic route of Chorla ghat, four-lane National highways, two-lane state highways and the highly unruly traffic of Pune city. We were four people in the car for the onward journey and five people for the return journey, with a week's worth of luggage. First, let's talk about the good things. The rear suspension was a little bogged down due to the weight in the rear, but that gave the car an even better stance. The boot is big enough to accommodate all our luggage and a few extra things. I was expecting the performance of the car to be disappointing in the ghats, but that wasn't the case. Yes, it takes its own sweet time to get up to speeds but doesn't feel strained at any point in time. The ground clearance too was never an issue during the whole trip. The car feels planted at high speeds until the road is smooth and there are minimum undulations. The potholes aren't felt inside, but the suspensions do make a thud sound if taken at high speeds through sharp potholes. High-speed stability is good enough for most occasions, but the car tends to lose its composure on sharp undulations. I tried doing speeds above 110kmph, but the steering felt unnervingly light, which I guess was due to the extra weight at the rear. Mash the throttle for a quick overtake, and the gearbox takes about a second to get the car in its powerband, after which the things are smooth, but still need some planning. The car is at its best at speeds between 80-100kmph. Also, let me add that the engine sounds sporty when revved above 3000rpm, which is fun sometimes.

The city driving is this car's forte. The car crawls ahead slowly after lifting off the breaks. It has enough grunt lower down the rev range to close the traffic gaps. The IVT gearbox ensures that your left foot is well-rested. You don't feel a single jerk during gear shifts. Overall the experience is extremely smooth.

Coming to the negative part. First has to be the brakes. The car comes with discs at the front and drum brakes at the rear. The stopping power is just about adequate, but they lack the bite. There have been instances where I felt like the car wasn't even slowing down. A couple of months back, I test drove the Skoda Slavia, and it has a strong braking bite that gives massive confidence to push the car. Since then I have been finding the brakes of our i20 inadequate. My father thinks the brakes are fine, but I asked him to get the brakes checked during the last service, and the service people said that there was no issue with the brakes. Engine braking or the lack of it is another negative point I observed, especially on downward slopes. I started using engine braking extensively on highways and ghats since I read about its benefits on Team-bhp. There is zero engine braking on the slopes. It's as if the car is unable to detect that it's going downward. On the highways, I used to put the gearbox in S mode or downshift by a couple of ratios to get maximum engine braking, and it did help. Same thing while driving in the ghats. The 3-4 ratio worked well enough for me on the downward slopes. Now, heading to the most important question in an Indian buyer's mind, Kitna deti hai? The answer to this could be a deal-breaker for many. The car gives an average mileage of 11-12 on the roads of Goa, which rarely have bumper to bumper traffic. Even worse is the mileage that I got on the highways. I saw an average fuel economy of 13.9 kmpl during my recent trip on the roads I talked about earlier. This figure wouldn't have hurt if the car was powerful, but that isn't the case either. I agree that I drive with a heavy foot, but my dad who is a light foot driver was able to extract a max of 16kmpl on his last trip to Pune. Even he agrees that the car has a bad drinking habit. Given his high running, the fuel bills have been extravagant. I tried adjusting my driving style on our return trip from Pune to Belgaum, which showed an average fuel economy of almost 14.9 kmpl.

Hyundai i20 Review-img_0349.jpg

Hyundai i20 Review-img_0352.jpg

Regardless of the bad points, I love driving our i20. Yes, it's not the best performer of all the cars I have driven, but it's the one I have driven the most. It's spacious, it's practical, it's loaded with enough features, and it's not exactly boring to drive. Rather, it can be fun in the corners if you maintain enough momentum. The engine grunt is not enough to give you a push back in the seat, but it's enough to give your family a comfortable drive to the destination. The deal-breakers and they are major ones, are its mileage and the safety. I feel it's best for people who have limited driving and that too mostly in city limits. It can handle occasional highway trips though. The three-star safety ratings are also a huge disappointment for a car that is otherwise a very good package of interior space, engine and gearbox options and features. I guess it's the personal connection I have formed over time that doesn't allow me to hate this car despite its shortcomings or maybe it is a good package after all.

Note: If you have read this far, I would love to hear your comments on my content and writing style. I am not sure if I am allowed to ask for this, so MODS please inform me if this is inappropriate.

Some random pictures of the car
Hyundai i20 Review-img_0293.jpg

Hyundai i20 Review-img_20210307_173712.jpg

Hyundai i20 Review-img_0338.jpg

Hyundai i20 Review-img_0345.jpg
Attached Thumbnails
Hyundai i20 Review-inkedimg_0295_li.jpg  

#drivingFreak is offline   (8) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks