Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st June 2022, 17:26   #481

Re: Hyundai i20 Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by N4Nikunj View Post
Dear All,

Can Diesel i20 owners please share their mileage figures for the city and highway conditions?

A relative is almost finalizing the i20.
Hi Nikunj,
I have driven 8000kms in my BS VI i20 Diesel. I have seeing economy figures close to 15 kmpl in city conditions (Mostly at speeds below 20 in first or second gear) and just over 23 when on highways.
unmanojable is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd June 2022, 07:47   #482

Hello fellow BHpians
Previously I had posted about my 10 year old ertiga and my hunt for a new car. I thank everyone who took the time to read my post and give their valuable suggestions. I will admit that I had made a decision and booked an i20 Asta(o) vtvt MT in the colour "Starry Night" but I wanted to read suggestions from other people and post a buying experience separately. Inserting pictures in between.

Hyundai i20 Review-20220601-20_56_44.1020530.jpg
Hyundai i20 Review-20220601-20_56_17.8260530.jpg

What made me book the i20

Honestly, there is no perfect car for everyone but I think you have to find your requirements and whatever ticks those boxes is the perfect car for you. Having driven almost all cars around my budget the i20 met my needs well. The top most requirement was that I needed a relaxed driving experience which cocoons me when I drive back home after a long day at work.

The i20 is the smoothest, it cocoons me extremely well and oh that Bose sound system! Yes its a little expensive but you do notice where all the extra money has gone, the price finally justifies.

You may skip the dealer section if you don't need drama.

Dealing with the Dealer
On 12th March, 2022 I booked my car with 21,000/- at Koncept Hyundai, Green Park New Delhi. The price quoted was with no discounts and a pretty high insurance amount. I knew I wanted the insurance offered by the dealer even if I had to pay extra. The final amount quoted was 10,63,138/- including a full cover insurance of 41,200. No added warranty and no basic kit. This would be the biggest transaction of my life.

The promised delivery was in two months i.e 12th May, 2022. And the wait began. I read many buying experiences here in Team BHP and was expecting regular updates of my car getting manufactured, pictures etc. But any time I got updates was when I called.

In mid April I got a call from my SA stating the same car is available with another dealer which they will exchange and my delivery could be within a week. I got super excited and proceeded to ship my car to my parents. A week later I had sent my car and there was no sign of my new car. My SA called me and was asking for payment to which I requested to see the car in person and take the check by hand. Few days later he informed me that the car had dents so they didn't accept it. This was a little alarming to me, what if I had paid him before seeing the car? Would my money be stuck with the dealer?

Having sent my car, I was facing a lot of inconvenience traveling work everyday, thankfully my sister was kind enough to offer me her car.

Late April I was getting a little frustrated since my SA wasn't picking my phone, I went to the dealership and requested to be assigned someone else, I was assigned my SA’s team lead who promised me 5th May as my delivery date.

Soon the 5th passed, I was pretty anxious on the inside but wasn't pushing the dealer since the actual date was the 12th. Sidenote: had my delivery been on the 5th I wouldn't end up paying 5k extra of the revised price. Once the 12th passed I got a little mad, partially fueled because I had to give my sister’s car back two weeks back and Delhi's heat waves were relentless and hailing cabs was a huge inconvenience. On the other side you must have seen many videos of youtubers getting their cars within a day or two because “mere contact mein koi hain” I was skeptical if the dealer was making other customers jump the queue.

On a late night with no delivery date promised I started looking for any hyundai email ids I could find and wrote a loooooong email with all receipts. The next day I think all Hyundai employees took turns calling me and helping me sort the problem.

Maybe now I was back on the queue, I was promised my delivery on the coming weekend. I could pay whenever and however I like. I was given a stockyard inspection with pickup and drop from my work! My SA was pretty apologetic, and me being a young professional I know how hard things can be at work and I definitely didn't want to be the reason for someone's career setback, my SA would be around my age and I made sure any complaints raised against him were removed.

Delivery
After the email, in my mind things got a little uncomfortable between the dealer and me, which obviously I didn't want to be. Thankfully the SA made the delivery very smooth, I had made the payment a day before since I had the chassis no. I got a huge bouquet, some chocolates and keychains. When I was booking the car I had told the SA I will take Mats for free! And I did. Sadly I took the delivery all alone, my parents and sister stay in different citie and, all my friends were out of town. I had to sign a few forms regarding the email and got a few phone calls, gave maximum ratings, no complaints anymore, I got my car.

It is no surprise few customers are jumping queues, dealers are offering accessory loaded vehicles for early deliveries and customers are willing to pay extra. The balances have changed and so have dealings. In the end honest customers suffer who can’t afford to spend a penny more and are made to wait longer since people are skipping ahead. I think I should have written the email on the 13th, had I kept silent no way would I have gotten my delivery on the 22nd. Having said so, my dealer never asked for extra money or pushed me to buy accessories. He was even fine with getting insurance from elsewhere.

Starry night on a rainy night
Hyundai i20 Review-20220524-00_20_06.7270530.jpg

First impressions
“She’s an attention seeking wh*******” said my colleague. This car was launched 2 years back, but you hardly spot one on the road and everybody stares at it when it passes by. Sure some of them think it's ugly but I think it's like an iphone. It looks ugly at first but the more you look at it the better it looks. A week later she's the most gorgeous thing I have seen.

Pros
-There's nothing like this on the road, it’s small on the outside but huge on the inside.
-I like how deep seated you are in the driver seat, and the car sticks to the road especially on corners.
-The dashboard is years ahead in comparison, digital cluster, huge infotainment screen, steering feels very nice. The car feels segments above, the cluster is from the verna, the infotainment and steering is from the creta. Pictures don't justify the interiors.
-The Bose sound system is the best. period. Tata’s JBL is nowhere near including the 8 speakers in nexon which gains a lot of pitch in higher volumes. The woofer and amplifier makes the entire car a subwoofer.
-NVH levels are close to nil, I hear my engine at ignition that's it.
-Love the sharp design, leds in the front and back make it stand out.
-The ability to cool the car remotely is very convenient in this heat. The AC is very strong and cools the cabin very quickly.
-Unlike the tatas, cruisecontrol is seamless and works well even in city speeds.
-Fewer i20s on road means you stand out of all the cretas, seltos and balenos.

The interiors are "lit" at night literally
Hyundai i20 Review-20220601-22_21_53.7630530.jpg
Hyundai i20 Review-20220601_215851.jpg

Some unique features I noticed:
-I like how the auto headlights and puddle lamps light up when you unlock the car, a real showoff.
-The wireless charger is very convenient. Once I put my phone in the slot it auto connects the bluetooth and starts playing the music (or maybe this is a feature in my phone). It is also a fast charger with cooling so the charging is pretty quick
-The navigation separately shows which exit/lane to take with a picture and the voice commands are almost always accurate. You can also set a destination on the bluelink app and send it to the car beforehand so you don’t have to fiddle with the onscreen keyboard in the infotainment screen. I wish I could share locations from google maps to the bluelink.

lights at night
Hyundai i20 Review-20220601-22_19_38.8030530.jpg
Hyundai i20 Review-20220601_215559.jpg
Hyundai i20 Review-20220601_220459.jpg
Hyundai i20 Review-20220601_220557.jpg

Cons:
-No leather seats, I don't know if it’s safe to use those cut out aftermarket leather seats on airbag seats.
-Apparently the car is supposed to speak out a welcome message when you sit inside, that has happened only once.
-You can remote start the car only when it is in neutral, plane surface and no handbrakes. It's hard for me to trust my car won't roll. This feature would be enabled with handbrake.
-Unless you cross 20 the seatbelt chime doesn't start, I feel it should start beeping once driving starts because it can be distracting to put on the seatbelt after you have started.
-The car seems to be very well damped, door needs to be closed a little harder. I noticed if a window/sunroof is opened it closes softly.
-The seats are a little too firm, maybe it will help in long drives, it could also have some better side bolstering for that huggy feel.

Suggestions:
-Should I go for leather seats with cutouts for the airbag
I also went to detailing bull in promenade Vasant Kunj. They have quoted 80k for ppf, 25k for ceramic and 5k for bumper ppf. I haven't heard any positives for ceramics but i'm considering getting ppf in both bumpers, especially the front. Also the 80k for full ppf seems to be on a higher side.
-How effective are GPS devices, most devices are installed behind the dash, I’m sure burglars have that update.

Hyundai i20 Review-20220601-20_59_52.4400530.jpg

Conclusion
I love my car, I love how striking it looks. It has so many convenience features, everything feels plush to touch and it gives that relaxing drive I was looking for. I find myself constantly updating my playlist so I can enjoy that Bose sound system. This is my first car ever and I am so proud to own it, I am hoping to keep this car as long as I can.

Hyundai i20 Review-20220601-20_57_15.0410530.jpg
derick is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 2nd June 2022, 09:02   #483
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by derick View Post
I love my car, I love how striking it looks. It has so many convenience features, everything feels plush to touch and it gives that relaxing drive I was looking for.
This is crux of having your perfect car

Your words and pics accurately demonstrate the feeling I had when I was in one.
Excellent pics

Enjoy your Journeys.

Last edited by shancz : 2nd June 2022 at 09:03. Reason: Ccl
shancz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd June 2022, 12:13   #484
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by derick View Post
Conclusion
I love my car, I love how striking it looks.

Attachment 2315476
I completely agree with the sentiments here. Currently we are in the market looking for a car for my wife. When I test drove the i20 1.2 Asta (O) variant, I fell in love with the car. ONLY if they had given a choice of a manual transmission in the N line, I would have traded my Scross diesel for that car. The normal i20 top end is already crazily loaded and the N line adds even more great stuff on top (rear disc brakes, harder suspension, hill hold, those beautiful leather seats, etc...).

Yes, it IS expensive, no doubt about that. But, a good experience is beyond price, especially if it brings smile to you.

That last photo is stunning.
ajay_satpute is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2022, 08:43   #485
BHPian

Nice Review. I love my i20 Asta IMT for the same reason. I test drove the following cars before picking i20.

1. Tata Nexon - didn't like the bumpy ride as i feel nauseated if ride is bumpy, safety is important but if its so bumpy in city traffic, people would think twice before sitting in the car.

2. Honda Jazz CVT - Very Good Car and similar to i20, but the SA was not all interested in sales and fully occupied with Whatsapp chats and not giving proper response.

3. Honda Amaze - same as above.

4. Skoda Rapid - Excellent Choice, I would've picked it but as its at the end of its lifecycle, avoided it.

5. i20 IMT - absolutely loved the IMT transmission, its so easy to use and makes driving very relaxed and comfortable on both highways and city conditions. If Hyundai gives Hill Hold Assist, it could've been much better but I had adopted to manage with handbrake.

Will try to share my experiences in detail in a different post.

Name:  IMG_20220403_073754_HDR.jpg
Views: 2505
Size:  373.5 KB
chaitanyakrish is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2022, 09:41   #486
Senior - BHPian

I love the 1.0 L turbo engine of my i20 and the convenience and control of the IMT transmission. But one can't shift as quick as in a MT.

Another irritant is when driving against the sun, windshield reflections affect visibility to a large extent. Anyone else feel this? And any remedy like the felt type cloth cover?

There is this disconcerting "thud" when going over speed breakers at a slightly higher speed, when the front suspension reaches its limit of extension. So have to take the speed breakers real slow...

Could Hyundai improve on the vehicle? In my opinion add some damping material to the doors and boot and give us 15" wheels with 195/60 or 185/65 tyre

But overall I love the looks of the car and the comfort during long drives.
goandude is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2022, 11:11   #487
BHPian

Agree on those.

If a speed breaker is constructed scientifically with properly designed hump, a speed of around 20-25kmph is enough for a smooth move.

But if the speed breaker is built improperly, we need to bring speed to 10-15kmph or else, be ready for a "Thud"
chaitanyakrish is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th June 2022, 10:49   #488

Hey guys, purely from a real-life milage point of view which is the better i20?

1) Manual 1.2
2) IVT 1.2
3) Turbo 1.00 IMT (I am

Would appreciate honest feedback from existing owners.

Car to be used 80% City and occasional national highways.

Thanks in advance.
Old 5th June 2022, 18:55   #489
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkaria1970 View Post

1) Manual 1.2
2) IVT 1.2
3) Turbo 1.00 IMT (I am

Thanks in advance.
FE on 1.2 is substantially better than the Turbo (any 1.0 turbo engine for that matter) in city. For a sedate driver on open highways, mileage between the two should be more or less same.
Old 5th June 2022, 20:56   #490

Quote:

1) Manual 1.2
2) IVT 1.2
3) Turbo 1.00 IMT (I am

Thanks in advance.
I’d say the 1.0 liter my friends car gives a mileage of 14 in the cities(mid),it can go even more with a lighter foot.
Old 5th June 2022, 21:12   #491
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

1) Manual 1.2
2) IVT 1.2
3) Turbo 1.00 IMT (I am

Thanks in advance.
Can comment only on IVT. My average is around 10.5 kmpl in Bangalore. Highest I got till now is around 13.5 kmpl on nice road (more like a ring road). Since it’s my city car have never taken it to highways.
Old 7th June 2022, 13:01   #492

It would of great help if someone from the forum take me to a solution/measure to come out of the problem of my i20's lowering mileage.
My i20 is 2014 model 1.2 Asta VTVT. I am facing issue to extract decent average from my car. For the past 6-8 months my car is not returning average above 10Kmpl and 12-12.5Kmpl in city and highways respectively.
We generally travel 4 adult of average built and with AC on 90% of travel time. I up-shift gears around 1800-2100 RPM and never tried to be harsh with the A pedal.
Can anyone guide me to a practice or solution to achieve fuel efficiency at least close to what the ARAI has claimed for this particular model. I believe max 12Kmpl on the highways is too low for this car.

Last edited by ShreeUKale : 7th June 2022 at 13:10.
ShreeUKale is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th June 2022, 09:07   #493
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacksonStorm View Post
Hyundai India updated 2022 i20 and updated brochure is available on their website.2022 Hyundai i20 gets updated with new features. Here are some snapshots from the brochure from recent changes.
Which website is this? Can you give the URL? I checked this morning on https://www.hyundai.com/in/en/find-a-car/i20/features and it doesn't seem to be updated. Screenshot attached. Pardon the Font size - I had to zoom out to get all the details.
Attached Thumbnails
Hyundai i20 Review-screenshot-20220609-084051.png  

Old 9th June 2022, 09:39   #494
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrs1951 View Post
Which website is this? Can you give the URL?
This is Hyundai India official website. Please go to below Hyundai India official website link and download the i20 brochure then you can see the updated feature list.

https://www.hyundai.com/in/en/click-...est-a-brochure

Last edited by JacksonStorm : 9th June 2022 at 09:41. Reason: Correct the brochure spelling
JacksonStorm is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th June 2022, 09:44   #495
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacksonStorm View Post
This is Hyundai India official website. Please go to below Hyundai India official website link and download the i20 brochure then you can see the updated feature list.

https://www.hyundai.com/in/en/click-...est-a-brochure
Thanks a lot, Jackson! Strange that Hyundai should post two different brochures in two different places!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks