Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th November 2020, 15:02   #121
BHPian

re: Hyundai i20 Review

I saw this car near my place in the morning. It was out for a test ride . Looks like a puny car and the dimensions are almost Altroz like. After visiting this thread I am even more surprised to learn that one needs to shell out 13 lacs to get the top end variant for such a small looking car. People would just flock to buy sonet over this. Sonet looks really big, butch and matured on the road and even then I consider some of its variants to be overpriced.

Last edited by psbali : 7th November 2020 at 15:03. Reason: Rephrased
psbali is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th November 2020, 15:22   #122
BHPian

To make matters worse for the Hyundai i20, Tata has launched XM+ variant of the Altroz which comes with 7-inch touchscreen infotainment for 6.60 lacs ex-showroom.

https://gaadiwaadi.com/tata-altroz-x...uchscreen/amp/
ATRONIX is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 7th November 2020, 18:29   #123
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATRONIX View Post
To make matters worse for the Hyundai i20, Tata has launched XM+ variant of the Altroz which comes with 7-inch touchscreen infotainment for 6.60 lacs ex-showroom.

https://gaadiwaadi.com/tata-altroz-x...uchscreen/amp/
This time is extremely crucial for both Tata Motors and Maruti to introduce as much VFM models and different configurations possible in the Altroz and Baleno.

If both manufacturers manage to do so before the i20 gains traction, the tables might turn!
Old 8th November 2020, 01:58   #124
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
...At Asta(O) prices - you also get the very competent Diesel 6 speed AT in the Sonet HTK+ trim.
And you lose 4 airbags, ESC & HAC, adjustable rear headrests, ISOFIX, rear wiper & washer

Looks like the prospective customers (enthusiasts and non-enthusiasts) have to either undermine safety in order to fulfil their desire (superior powertrains or myriad features) or pay through the nose to get everything (necessary or not). The Koreans are blurring the line between the mass market and BHPians who want to follow their heart but can't afford atrocious prices.
k_kumar is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th November 2020, 07:03   #125
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by psbali View Post
I am even more surprised to learn that one needs to shell out 13 lacs to get the top end variant for such a small looking car.
If people took buying decisions by only looking at the size there would be no need for detailed reviews covering engines, gearboxes, suspension, ride, handling and features.

The review only needs to say "It's big, go buy it."

It is this mindset that has led to manufacturers treating the Indian market the way they do - Audi putting in a 1.4 TSI engine in an A4 is a classic case in point.

Last edited by AMG Power : 8th November 2020 at 07:31.
AMG Power is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 8th November 2020, 08:30   #126
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMG Power View Post
If people took buying decisions by only looking at the size there would be no need for detailed reviews covering engines, gearboxes, suspension, ride, handling and features.

The review only needs to say "It's big, go buy it."

It is this mindset that has led to manufacturers treating the Indian market the way they do - Audi putting in a 1.4 TSI engine in an A4 is a classic case in point.
That's precisely why I didn't compare it with something like nexon or ecosport etc and compared it to its newly launched sibling. A lot of people would find more value in the sonet as all gearboxes, transmission, engines etc are the same. Unless hyundai is planning something even special for i20 which will be unavailable in venue, sonet, creta and seltos.

Here the comparison is between Apple and bada apple.
psbali is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th November 2020, 12:27   #127
Senior - BHPian

It looks like Hyundai is gradually positioning themselves as a slightly premium offering compared to Kia. If you want a cheap Hyundai, buy a Kia. If you want a Kia with the probability of finding a service centre almost everywhere you go, pay slighly higher prices and buy an Hyundai. After all cars are the same and there should be some premium for buying the same car from a brand who has done the grunt work in India for two decades now. They may have plans to bring Rio to India to compete with Baleno and Altroz.

Last edited by padmrajravi : 8th November 2020 at 12:30.
padmrajravi is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 8th November 2020, 14:19   #128
Team-BHP Support

Saw two new i20s on the roads today, one grey and black. As against pictures - I really did like how it looks from the rear! Those Z shaped tail lamps add to the looks and doesn't look out of place as seen in most pics. Black might just be the best colour for this car.

Hyundai - Kia really doesn't waste time getting cars on the road soon after launch. I've seen the Sonet almost a dozen times already, and the new Creta is everywhere. In contrast - seen only two 5th gen City till date, and the less said about the Thar - the better.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 8th November 2020, 15:44   #129
BHPian

Typical Hyundai formula is here again:
  • Nice Interiors - Check
  • Love or hate exteriors - Check
  • Feature list - Check
  • No Crash Test - Check
  • New update with reduced kerb weight - Check
  • Atrocious / Disastrous pricing - Check

Way to go TATA. Now you have enough space to play with the pricing, bring in all the combinations soon and spoil the TRICK!
kamilharis is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 8th November 2020, 16:22   #130
BHPian

I am not able to understand the hue and cry about the i20's pricing on Team BHP. Yes! The 1.0 GDi is priced on the higher side but where are those people who wanted a "Performance Hot Hatch" in the mainstream market by a mass Manufacturer?

Hyundai is finally providing you that with the specs matching almost the Thai Spec Honda City Turbo and one expects them to not price it on the higher side?

The 1.2 DSG Polo was retailing around 11 Lakhs with lack of space and a platform developed years ago and people are still fine buying a 11 Year old car but not an i20?
The reviews aren't out hence I am not going to comment on the handling but seeing the engineering finesse in Seltos and the likes, I am expecting a much more matured setup in the way the i20 Turbos is going to handle, no way a German but definitely a lot better.

Furthermore, people quoting it to be in the range of 13-14 Lakhs is not the Manufacturer's fault, it's your state government which wants to cash in on here. The 1.0 GDi is anyway not a mainstream engine, Hyundai will continue to see the volume in 1.2 MT & iVT which isn't too expensive compared to Elite, along with the diesel which at around 10.5 for Asta (O) ain't too bad seeing how Nexon and Altroz diesel are priced.

For the first time, a mass Manufacturer has entered the scene all guns blazing providing something for the enthusiasts and here we see so many just bashing the brand left right and centre. I am in no way biased towards Hyundai or anything like that but I appreciate a brand's move which was unexpected. No other manufacturers dared to do this! Heck, consumers are still crying for Honda to plonk in the 1.5 i-vtec in WRV & Jazz, Baleno RS is dead for good, Ford never attempted a powerful powertrains even after being a driver's car. Skoda discontinued Fabia 1.6 ages ago, Polo is the only option today for auto enthusiasts which can be called a jack of all but it has it's own set of flaws the major being it's the same car being sold since 2009. Tata launched the Altroz with a 1.2 3 Cylinder engine! I am really not getting the logic here that just because HMIL is trying to create a niche it's being bashed up?
YashD is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 8th November 2020, 16:56   #131
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by YashD View Post
The 1.2 DSG Polo was retailing around 11 Lakhs with lack of space and a platform developed years ago and people are still fine buying a 11 Year old car but not an i20?
Even today the polo will handle better than the new i20, and will have better steering.
Quote:
Ford never attempted a powerful powertrains even after being a driver's car.
Wow, I don't understand what you're trying to say here, the 1.5Tdci is the diesel enthusiasts choice!!
Quote:
Tata launched the Altroz with a 1.2 3 Cylinder engine!
I agree with you on this.
Quote:
I am really not getting the logic here that just because HMIL is trying to create a niche it's being bashed up?
No one is bashing Hyundai without reason. Top end prices simply don't make anymore sense! Logic is simple, please read my post here where I've compared the diesel variants with other cars here.
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/india...ml#post4924988

Also safety concerns are still up in the air. For the sake of the i20, I hope it can atleast get 4 stars on the GNCAP ratings.
John316_WRC is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 8th November 2020, 17:50   #132
BHPian

Quote:
I am not able to understand the hue and cry about the i20's pricing on Team BHP. Yes! The 1.0 GDi is priced on the higher side but where are those people who wanted a "Performance Hot Hatch" in the mainstream market by a mass Manufacturer?
I think you'll start to understand it if you compare it with the segment. We are talking about a 2-2.5 lakh premium on road compared to a similar 1.0 TSI Polo for what, a new platform (not necessarily superior), little more space and a sunroof ? Also, remember the true hot hatch, the Abarth was available for 9.9 L not long before. One more thing is even if we compare the NA engines, the Asta(O) has jumped more than 1 L in price compared to a year back for basically a new design and a sunroof.
drpudhi is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 8th November 2020, 18:51   #133
Distinguished - BHPian

I'm trying to be as bipartisan as possible, but in a launch thread that has become overwhelmingly negative and about just ripping apart the brand for the pricing aspect, I have only two questions to ask :

1) How many of you were/are planning to buy the i20 and stopped the plan after hearing the pricing? If so, why not the other "VFM" alternatives like Ecosport/Figo/Polo GT TSi and perhaps the most loved car of all time, the Altroz? The fact that so many are lamenting the pricing shows that either they loved the car and they are angry about the pricing, or they simply want to trash the model before its even up for test-drives.

2) Have you personally inspected the i20, before coming to conclusions of size, interior room, build quality, music system, feel good quality etc?

As I've said before, and I've said this with full respect to the other brands and what they deliver in terms of safety/value/driving dynamics etc, do NOT expect Hyundai to drive like a German (people like me do not want stone hard suspensions), or to have gearbox tuning like GT TSi (which is well calibrated and impressive to say the least) or have certified safety ratings (it hasn't been done until now, why keep crying about it?), the fact of the matter is, one should buy a car or brand they like, whether its TATA, or VW or Maruti, but pulling up Hyundai for not having the safety of TATA, driving dynamics of VW or FE of Maruti is plain silly to say the least. As far as Indian NCAP goes, lets not forget even VW and Skoda haven't sent their models for local crash tests yet, not indicating that they're poor as a result but they are uncertified, much like Hyundai.

Yes there is a big question mark in the braking system of the platform twins Seltos and Creta, how many are affected is unknown and it's a fact that Hyundai is losing its bulletproof reliability tag and their silence isn't helping matters at all, but is Hyundai truly alone in this? Toyota recalled 45 lakh cars for cutting costs and using an unstable compound in the airbag inflator systems of Takata, they recalled millions more in the sudden accidental acceleration surge issues and both problems resulted in the deaths of at least a dozen people, Honda recalled 14 lakh cars for potential entry of petrol into the engine oil system which might result in fires and hundreds of thousands more for the same Takata inflator problem, all suppressed and all fatal issues.

I have no problem with criticism, but I would hope that people take a first look, or a drive or simply wait for reviews before putting down a model, I've NEVER critiqued a model without sitting in it, and driving it personally, that's why I've not commented on the Altroz or Baleno, ever, but I have very much driven a GT TSi so I confidently can write about it.

Last but not least, like voting, you do have a choice to put your money on the car you love and influence others to do the same, but that shouldn't come this early on when a car hasn't even been made available for a test drive.

P.S - i20 and Sonet are strong contenders in our line of sight, I didn't flinch at the price tag of either, at all, not because I want to throw money away, but because I know this package works for 100% city use, with service centers at 1/2 km proximity and an undisturbed reliable ownership experience thus far over 15 years and 3 models.
dark.knight is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 8th November 2020, 19:29   #134
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dark.knight View Post
I'm trying to be as bipartisan as possible, but in a launch thread that has become overwhelmingly negative and about just ripping apart the brand for the pricing aspect, I have only two questions to ask :

1) How many of you were/are planning to buy the i20 and stopped the plan after hearing the pricing? If so, why not the other "VFM" alternatives like Ecosport/Figo/Polo GT TSi and perhaps the most loved car of all time, the Altroz? The fact that so many are lamenting the pricing shows that either they loved the car and they are angry about the pricing, or they simply want to trash the model before its even up for test-drives.
I completely agree. It's more of a good car spoilt by the pricing. I'm fully aware as a manufacturer, they have full rights to price their product they seem fit. But I'm not sure how their strategy of milking the situation of no worthy competitor to the fullest will pan out. They might still be able to get away with it, but it's definitely not going to redefine the segment in terms of sales. The overall negative sentiment regarding price is a testimony to that. More than bashing, its mostly the frustration that it's been priced out of range for most who were considering it. Some people may find the price worth it, as its completely subjective, but the overall sentiment is not so.
drpudhi is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th November 2020, 20:04   #135
BHPian

Make hay while the sun shines . The sun will continue shining for decades, by the way.

Hyundai is India's top manufacturer, in my opinion, though sales numbers put them in second position. India's mass market will look at Maruti first as they cost 'less' to purchase and maintain. But the feeling exists that they are not exactly premium.

A huge chunk of customers are willing to pay more for that premium and Hyundai is the default choice. Add the lovely interiors, long list of features, a dealer and a service center always round the corner and Hyundai will keep churning out super hits.

Looks like they have one more now. Yes priced quite high!. It is for those reasons mentioned above.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks