Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Old 25th November 2020, 20:03   #46
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: MG Gloster : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schnitzer View Post
1) What does BRIT dynamic even mean? Has any BRIT ever laid their hands on one of these?
Hope Jeremy Clarkson gets to drive it soon and settles the matter I am dying to see his reaction.
Guna is online now   (7) Thanks
Old 25th November 2020, 20:18   #47
BHPian

Thanks for the lovely detailed review.

My question is which car should i buy?
1. Endeavour
2. Gloster
3. New Innova crysta

My driving is sedate, but want a good responsive AT with a super comfortable ride.
Driving is mostly city and occasional highway.
sabujsen is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th November 2020, 20:27   #48
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabujsen View Post
Thanks for the lovely detailed review.

My question is which car should i buy?
1. Endeavour
2. Gloster
3. New Innova crysta

My driving is sedate, but want a good responsive AT with a super comfortable ride.
Driving is mostly city and occasional highway.
My take is #3. New Innova Crysta
For Reliability, Comfort and of-course the Money saved.

Last edited by RemingtonSteele : 25th November 2020 at 20:28.
RemingtonSteele is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 25th November 2020, 20:41   #49
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post

The city driving personality is the "bad cop" version. The Gloster's engine has nothing low down and the tuning of the gearbox further exacerbates the lack of low-end grunt. If you're driving at 40 km/h and slow down at an intersection or for a speed breaker to 20 km/h, after which you want to again get going and press the throttle, there is just no power!! And when I say no power, I mean nada / zilch / zero.
I skipped most of the review just to know how the engine performs. When I read 200 bhp and 480 nm, I had high expectations. But after reading how poorly it performs in city driving, I stopped reading the review after that. This is absolutely not acceptable from a 200 bhp, 480 nm, twin turbo, diesel SUV ! A big thumbs down to MG ! Like GTO, I am an engine guy. An engine is what makes or breaks a vehicle.
shaheenazk is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 25th November 2020, 20:42   #50
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RemingtonSteele View Post
My take is #3. New Innova Crysta
For Reliability, Comfort and of-course the Money saved.
Thanks for your suggestion. Do you think a petrol Innova makes sense?
I stay in Delhi.
Old 25th November 2020, 21:01   #51
BHPian

Quote:
I stay in Delhi.
Not sure whether this is the correct thread to post your query friend.

Anyways, It largely depends on your usage. Please do give us a detailed view of the your requirements.
Coming back to the petrol VS diesel Crysta, if your daily usage exceeds 50 to 60 Kms a day then get yourself a diesel. Petrol on the other hand should be bought if your usage is low or minimal and you are looking for utmost refinement.
Coming to the part that you live in Delhi, that 10 year diesel ban and 15 year petrol ban is one pathetic policy IMO and us car enthusiasts maintain our cars so immaculately. I too am a resident of Gurgaon and trust me, I really don't want to sell my diesel Innova simply cause I have been attached emotionally to it. I may not be able to comment on your situation of a petrol or diesel car but I have told you my experience.

Verdict:
Buy a diesel if -
1) Your usage is high
2) You wont be heartbroken when you sell the car after 10 years
3) Your usage would primarily be on highways (Due to diesel's superior torque figures)

Buy a petrol if -
1) You are looking for refinement
2) Car usage is minimal
3) Petrol I hear, is cheaper than its Diesel equivalent.

Last edited by Tachyonites : 25th November 2020 at 21:03.
Tachyonites is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th November 2020, 21:09   #52
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post

MG Gloster Cons:

Engine and gearbox tuning are shockingly terrible inside town. Turbo lag and the gearbox's reluctance to downshift make things awful in city traffic
4,000 rpm redline is too early. Engine has a very narrow powerband
Urban fuel economy is mediocre due to the power & fat kerb weight
Twin-turbo diesel, 8-speed AT & gizmos bring a lot of complexity. Long-term reliability is unknown (unlike the Fortuner & Endeavour)

This says it all about the Gloster! Thanks for sharing, most of the YouTube reviews look biased, may be sponsored by MG. They did not mention about poor engine and gear box tuning, turbo lag and the narrow power band of Gloster. Team-BHP is the only place where I find unbiased reviews. Now that we know about this car, Endeavour and Fortuner will make better sense to buy. There are other behemoths like Chevrolet Trailblazer, Mahindra Alturas which flopped, and we should see if MG goes Endeavour and Fortuner way or Trailblazer and Alturas way in the sales charts in coming days.

Quote:
I stay in Delhi.
If your running is less than 5k kms a year, Petrol Innova makes sense, if more, go for a diesel Innova. It might cost more initially but you get almost double the mileage on highways on a diesel Innova, only problem with a diesel is it has only 10 years life in NCR, but you get a decent resale value after 10 years on a diesel Innova. Amongst Endeavour, Gloster and Innova Crysta, I'd blindly suggest you to buy the Crysta. If you want a butch looking SUV, go for Endeavour or updated 2021 Fortuner.
WhiteSierra is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 25th November 2020, 21:52   #53
rkw
BHPian

I feel the design especially badging & cosmetics are simply outdated or atleast out of place. Seems design is on a different trajectory. Else who badges at present with a foreign country flag logo (Brit Dynamic??)?? So many badging/cosmetics (Internet...., ADAS...., Brit Dynamic, dummy exhaust) just spoils the aesthetics & looks cheap/borrowed. Not to mention the giant sized name at the rear. I am curious to know what happens when one or few letters drop off. It will look so awkward. Does one have to replace the whole set "GLOSTER" then? If so, it will turn out to be costly. I think it is important understand Indian conditions & market better.
rkw is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th November 2020, 22:01   #54
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karanddd View Post
The fact that a Chinese manufacturer, having been in the market for only a couple of years, offers a competing product, says a lot about the state of Indian design and manufacturing. Tata despite having JLR could only offer the Hexa, which was later discontinued. What's stopping Tata or Mahindra from making a 35-40 lakh rupee full size SUV? Are Indian manufacturers like Harley-Davidson in being heavily dependent on protectionist tactics to survive in their own home turf?
Indian manufacturers like Tata and Mahindra are more than capable of building proper off-road worthy cars that can compete with world class products (not Chinese). But the question is this: Would you buy one at 40L INR OTR ? The majority would answer with a definite NO. A large chunk of MG customers believe they are getting a car with British pedigree and they look down upon Indian manufacturers.

At this point of time (when I am typing this post), I know at least half a dozen customers who ignored XUV300, Nexon and Harrier and are happily going ahead with the purchase of Seltos, Venues and Sonets despite the fact that they are fully aware of the recent 3 Star GNCAP rating of the Seltos. Why ? "Oh, Tata and Mahindra are Indian manufacturers. They are not good. My uncle/cousin/friend said so. They will tease me of I buy one". So if Indian manufacturers are not bringing out capable and safer cars that can beat other products, there is no one to blame but us. No point ranting about it. Just my opinion.

Oh, and if there is any car manufacturer in India that was dependent on "protectionist tactics", it is Maruti. They still cannot compete with Tata or Mahindra in terms of building safer cars. Forget safer cars, they are still trying to build a 1.5L oil burner that is BS6 compliant while Tata and Mahinda have BS6 compliant 2.2L diesel engines plying on the streets since day 1.

Last edited by DieselAddikt : 25th November 2020 at 22:30.
DieselAddikt is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 25th November 2020, 22:06   #55
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tachyonites View Post
Verdict:
Buy a diesel if -
1) Your usage is high
2) You wont be heartbroken when you sell the car after 10 years
3) Your usage would primarily be on highways (Due to diesel's superior torque figures)

Buy a petrol if -
1) You are looking for refinement
2) Car usage is minimal
3) Petrol I hear, is cheaper than its Diesel equivalent.
Pardon my ignorance. And thank you so much for your reply!
sabujsen is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th November 2020, 22:52   #56
BHPian

Off topic but that Brit Dynamic badging has been copied from Nissan.

https://images.app.goo.gl/jhh2dpvPt9rKjuF28

Maybe the same china factories make the dies for this sticker and were happy to change the color scheme for SAIC.

Also, 4 fake exhausts? It was bad enough when Mercedes gave 2 but this one aims to be class leading in all departments. The font size for gloster looks like it was made by someone who was desperate for attention.

Last edited by Cessna182 : 25th November 2020 at 22:55.
Cessna182 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th November 2020, 22:56   #57
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteSierra View Post
Now that we know about this car, Endeavour and Fortuner will make better sense to buy. There are other behemoths like Chevrolet Trailblazer, Mahindra Alturas which flopped, and we should see if MG goes Endeavour and Fortuner way or Trailblazer and Alturas way in the sales charts in coming days.
I quite think that the Gloster might not be a runaway success in India like Toyota's evergreen Fortuner or even the robust-built Endeavour by Ford. MG would need some serious brainstorming to do and a very indestructible marketing strategy in India as Indians prefer SUVs over sedans any day. India is really not an easy market to sell cars in. What I feel from my experience is that only two kinds of cars find success in India
1) Cars of established brands i.e. Toyota, Honda, Hyundai
2) VFM packages.

Sadly the Gloster doesn't fit in any of these to criteria. Hope that MG engineers and marketing strategist find a good way of selling this car. My advise would be to make this car cheaper and offer bench seats in the top variant so as to appeal to a larger percentage of Indian buyers.
I for one, would avoid the Gloster right now since it's a freshly baked product. Come three-four years, I would consider it unless its final outcome is like the Alturas or Trailblazer.
Old 25th November 2020, 23:11   #58
BHPian

After looking at the exterior pics, the thought I had was :
(No malice meant, this is only in jest, to add some light hearted news to a serious topic)
What would have been the meeting like, to discuss what badges to put on the car ?
A : internet inside is must.
B : how about endorsing the Britishness of the brand , because indians were colonized by Britain and still think a white skinned man is superior to them.
C : we must somehow indicate that we are a "dynamic" brand, you know, something that will appeal to youth , because young india will love anything with dynamic written on it.
B : nice idea, C. How about "Brit dynamic" ?
C : yes, bingo. I like it.
D : we must advertise for sure , about stage 1 autonomous tech. An ADAS badge is mandatory.
E : hello ? If we don't put 4WD, the drive train engg team will kill me.

Boss-man of badges at MG : all of you A,B,C,D,E made excellent suggestions. All are going in. From my side, i want to have a HUGE "gloster" in capitals, in MS word 64 size font, to be slapped on the back of the tailgate. Leave no doubt to even truck drivers, what car this is...

ABCDE : brilliant, boss!!
Boss man : thank you guys that was a quick meeting. Whew.
venkyhere is online now   (19) Thanks
Old 26th November 2020, 00:19   #59
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoJack View Post
There is this video by a Youtuber (will link below) reviewing the Gloster. It is clear that the car is struggling to get over a very simple "off road" track which most front wheel drive vehicles can easily go through. The car even threw a transmission warning at the end. This Youtuber is not an automobile journalist or a car expert but he was able to take an endeavour through some really really bad roads without getting stuck.The car is a media car (all the more reason to not suck) I mean I have taken a friend's RWD bolero with almost no treads through much worse roads and I don't even have any experience off-roading. This review is in Malayalam but that won't be a problem.
https://Youtu.be/WkOQzratuCk

This is a video that created some controversies that involve MG/MG showroom I think. What I heard is these got heated up and finally youtuber end up in selling his MG hector. There are few videos related to this in youtube (in Malayalam)
arunrajk81 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th November 2020, 00:27   #60
pms
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by venkyhere View Post
After looking at the exterior pics, the thought I had was :
(No malice meant, this is only in jest, to add some light hearted news to a serious topic)
What would have been the meeting like, to discuss what badges to put on the car ?
A : internet inside is must.
B : how about endorsing the Britishness of the brand , because indians were colonized by Britain and still think a white skinned man is superior to them.
C : we must somehow indicate that we are a "dynamic" brand, you know, something that will appeal to youth , because young india will love anything with dynamic written on it.
B : nice idea, C. How about "Brit dynamic" ?
C : yes, bingo. I like it.
D : we must advertise for sure , about stage 1 autonomous tech. An ADAS badge is mandatory.
E : hello ? If we don't put 4WD, the drive train engg team will kill me.

Boss-man of badges at MG : all of you A,B,C,D,E made excellent suggestions. All are going in. From my side, i want to have a HUGE "gloster" in capitals, in MS word 64 size font, to be slapped on the back of the tailgate. Leave no doubt to even truck drivers, what car this is...

ABCDE : brilliant, boss!!
Boss man : thank you guys that was a quick meeting. Whew.
Liked the way you put it

It looked like someone asked them to utilize the vast exterior space to write something or the other (doodles?)

Jokes apart, the review was crisp and to the point. Gearbox tuning and power should have been spot on even with lesser features to really compete at this price point. If it struggles in City traffic, no matter how good on highways Gloster will find it difficult to pull prospective customers from Endeavour and Toyota Fortuner.

Mod Note : Please do NOT use acronyms (e.g. ANHC, T-Fort, Endy) when referring to cars. You are ONLY permitted to use the full Make & Model name for cars. This will make our content useful, searchable & easy-to-understand for experts & newbies alike.

Any further usage of acronyms will invite Moderator action on your account.

Thanks!

Last edited by Sheel : 27th November 2020 at 17:14. Reason: Mod note attached.
pms is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed