Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Old 26th December 2020, 09:49   #91
BHPian

Default Re: MG Gloster : Official Review

Took a comprehensive test drive of the Gloster last week.
I was curious to understand the working of ADAS on this particular car.
The system is just a Camera based one and does not use front Radar/Lidar of any type.
As per the salesman, ADAS features don't work properly at night or in bad weather which is more of a safety concern and there is no mention of this detail anywhere and there is no warning on the instrument cluster also
123.rishabh is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th December 2020, 11:12   #92
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 123.rishabh View Post
The system is just a Camera based one and does not use front Radar/Lidar of any type.
As per the salesman, ADAS features don't work properly at night or in bad weather which is more of a safety concern and there is no mention of this detail anywhere and there is no warning on the instrument cluster also
Camera based ADAS systems work as well as the camera can 'see'. Not sure of the exact type of camera in the gloster system, but if it is an IR camera is should work very well at night also. If not, it is more dependent on the illumination available. Should also work in rainy weather conditions, but will definitely not work effectively in dense fog. A lidar would obviously work better, but having said that ADAS systems are supplementary systems designed to aid the human driver and hence should not be relied upon as the primary system (example - depending on a lidar in conditions where human visibility is severely compromised may not be advisable)
Rajeevraj is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 27th December 2020, 20:13   #93

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
Camera based ADAS systems work as well as the camera can 'see'. Not sure of the exact type of camera in the gloster system, but if it is an IR camera is should work very well at night also. If not, it is more dependent on the illumination available. Should also work in rainy weather conditions, but will definitely not work effectively in dense fog. A lidar would obviously work better, but having said that ADAS systems are supplementary systems designed to aid the human driver and hence should not be relied upon as the primary system (example - depending on a lidar in conditions where human visibility is severely compromised may not be advisable)
These two pages from the MAXUS D90 Manual talk about driver assistance systems.

While the parking assistance system clearly talks about radar use. The driver assistance system only talks about the windshield-mounted camera(still not clear if it uses radar)

Here are the links :
Parking assist system

Driver-assist system

These pages are in Chinese. would need to use translate.
bark1234 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st December 2020, 11:45   #94
BHPian

I have had my Gloster since the last 15 days, and I have put 2100km on it, driving from Bangalore to Kochi to Coonoor, and then to Trivandrum. ADAS, for me, is a nice-to-have feature-set. In my highway drives, I did use adaptive cruise control quite a bit (night drive, so, less traffic). Lane departure warning is also a good feature, as long as you are in the mood for it. When I was weaving in and out of city traffic, the warning sound was an annoyance! Forward Collision Warning is also nice to have, but an annoyance when I (and everyone else) was tail-gating each other in the towns/cities! Blind Spot Detection is a blessing every time I want to change lanes, or even otherwise. Automatic Emergency Braking hasnt been triggered yet. Automatic Parking Assist isn't something I see myself using much. At best, it is a party trick I wish Gloster had Lane Centering/Lane Keep Assist, but that would make it a Level-2 Autonomous car. I had a 2016 Civic and a 2018 Honda Clarity PHEV, in the US, which both had L2 features. The new XUV500 hopefully will start the L2 story in India and will make it mainstream in 2021-22.

Coming to Radar/LiDAR, this is what MG states in their website : "a state-of-the-art array of sensors and cameras that combine to bring together an automated safety ecosystem that alerts the driver to potential problems on the road". They don't explicitly state what type of sensors are used, and I am not an expert in this field. From wikipedia : "Control is based on sensor information from on-board sensors. Such systems may use a radar or laser sensor or a camera setup".
civicsense is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 4th February 2021, 11:50   #95
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by civicsense View Post
I have had my Gloster since the last 15 days, and I have put 2100km on it, driving from Bangalore to Kochi to Coonoor, and then to Trivandrum. ADAS, for me, is a nice-to-have feature-set. In my highway drives, I did use adaptive cruise control quite a bit (night drive, so, less traffic). Lane departure warning is also a good feature, as long as you are in the mood for it. When I was weaving in and out of city traffic, the warning sound was an annoyance! Forward Collision Warning is also nice to have, but an annoyance when I (and everyone else) was tail-gating each other in the towns/cities! Blind Spot Detection is a blessing every time I want to change lanes, or even otherwise. Automatic Emergency Braking hasnt been triggered yet. Automatic Parking Assist isn't something I see myself using much. At best, it is a party trick I wish Gloster had Lane Centering/Lane Keep Assist, but that would make it a Level-2 Autonomous car. I had a 2016 Civic and a 2018 Honda Clarity PHEV, in the US, which both had L2 features. The new XUV500 hopefully will start the L2 story in India and will make it mainstream in 2021-22.
Seems you are pretty happy with the purchase? Any plans to start a ownership thread? Will love to hear more about the car.
07CR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th February 2021, 11:36   #96
BHPian

Mixed feelings about the car after going through the review. The shape of the car is a bit too generic and to overcome that, they have given it some loud badges. The road presence on the other hand seems to be massive. Saw one in Mathura, and it made a Scorpio look tiny.

A few observations from the official review that show that there is a lack of finesse and quality in this ‘premium’ SUV:

1. Brit Dynamic Badge- To be honest, this actually sounds derogatory to me. Whom are they trying to fool? No manufacturer goes to such lengths to highlight their country of origin. (unless they are lying.)
MG Gloster : Official Review-bb6e7ba47da4458db29731bb7d126e4a.jpeg

2. The Silly badges at the rear have no reason to be on the back of a premium SUV, but what really hurts me is the fact that the ‘G L O S T E R’ letters don’t seem to be perfectly aligned.
MG Gloster : Official Review-ef0bb5607fa04c568f9e4c9dcb8f33f8.jpeg

3. The ‘Full Tech LED’ badging inside the headlights reminds me of those cheap Chinese toy cars that come with labels like “Super Tech car”.
MG Gloster : Official Review-761426fb65ca4cd28190ebbbd3e7afc0.jpeg

4. The pedals look very out of place in a premium SUV. They look like they belong in an A-segment hatchback:
MG Gloster : Official Review-a5c7693d10614d4c8451f4b59b9439cc.jpeg

5. At this price point, how can they not give a felt lined glove box?
MG Gloster : Official Review-3ae4ee3844be4cd395c103c5c5adbc4a.jpeg

But as one can see, none of these are deal breakers and can easily be fixed with a facelift. Apart from these minor issues, I feel like this is a decent package that brings a lot to the table for those shopping in this segment.
The only challenge for this car would be that it’s reliability and drive durability are unknown at the moment, and that matters a lot to someone looking for a car to travel to far off places.
Also, the Chinese origin may put some people off.
Sanidhya mukund is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 9th February 2021, 17:29   #97
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07CR View Post
Seems you are pretty happy with the purchase? Any plans to start a ownership thread? Will love to hear more about the car.
Overall, I am quite happy with the Gloster so far, with the odo at 3800. Let me see, I'll start an ownership thread soon.
Old 13th February 2021, 17:46   #98
BHPian

As always, a very nicely detailed and unbiased review.
On a side note, it makes me think really hard that will a very well done engine + gearbox remap/patch along with some really intense debadging with a shovel fix things for the Gloster? If yes, then it sounds like a really nice used proposition in 5-6 years. That is, if my finances and luck don't allow me to get hold of a 3.2L Endeavour first.

In case anyone was wondering that I was concerned about economy? No, more than economy, I want a decent tank range and it will be hard to obtain while gunning a 3.2 and smiling ear-to-ear. I wish that the 3.2 came with an 8/10 speed AT box. Would have been best of both worlds.

Last edited by vredesbyrd : 13th February 2021 at 17:48.
Old 21st February 2021, 13:14   #99

I took delivery of the Gloster savvy variant in the first week of Feb. I Am very happy with the vehicle till now.

Very minor turbo lag as has been mentioned numerous times in all the reviews, Power delivery is gradual and never sudden. The issue is so minor, that you get used to it in 2-3 days unless you are really looking for adrenaline-rushing acceleration every time you press the pedal.

From a long-term reliability perspective, though Gloster has just been launched in India, it has been in the market(exact same engine and same models) since 2017. They had sold 20k units in Australia by July 2020. In China, the sales must be even higher. This is sold in Newzealand and UAE as well.

I have also researched a lot on forums in china and Australia regarding reliability and problems reported by users. Haven't found any major issues so far in their forums. Here is the link for some of those forums :
Chinese forum
Australia forum one, two, three
Some videos where this guy takes it apart and also talks about rust etc.

One point I noticed, which hasn't been mentioned anywhere is that this car was originally designed for right-side drive countries, where the driver sits on the left of the car ie. china. When they moved it to countries with left-side drive, i.e. Australia and India(the driver sits on the right), They just moved the steering wheel. They should have also mirrored the center console and MMI display buttons. In Chinese design, the longer armrest is with the driver, but in Indian/Australian design, it goes to the passenger, and the bottle holder comes near driver, which is a little uncomfortable for the driver.

Similarly, the power button and volume buttons of the central MMI display are left exactly at the same place in both variations. The net result for Gloster is, that driver has 2 sets of volume controlling buttons(one on the steering wheel and the other just behind it on the MMI display itself) but the passenger has none.

MG Gloster : Official Review-20191119073602_002.jpg

MG Gloster : Official Review-mgglosterdashboard.jpg

Last edited by vb-san : 21st February 2021 at 13:53. Reason: Photos alignment
bark1234 is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed