Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th December 2020, 09:50   #16
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Volvo S60 : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by FloatingCanvas View Post
What is the reason for such a large transmission tunnel in S60 though? Especially it being FWD, can't understand why they have such a large tunnel that effectively makes it a 4 seater?
Internationally, there is an AWD variant on sale. Also note that some FWD cars have the floor hump because manufacturers use it to tuck in the exhaust plumbing / other stuff.
GTO is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 26th December 2020, 10:46   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by FloatingCanvas View Post
I love the understated elegance of Volvo vehicles, be it sedans, estates or SUVs.

What is the reason for such a large transmission tunnel in S60 though? Especially it being FWD, can't understand why they have such a large tunnel that effectively makes it a 4 seater?

Also, wish they paid a bit more attention to the rear seats, with better seating support, because a significant number of owners will be travelling in the rear seat.. I so want Volvo to succeed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Internationally, there is an AWD variant on sale. Also note that some FWD cars have the floor hump because manufacturers use it to tuck in the exhaust plumbing / other stuff.
Gentlemen, refer this post: This is a strengthening measure as sheet metal is generally not supported by the frame.

The brake lines & wiring aren’t always placed right under the hump as it’ll be too deep for any repairs. They are mostly placed a closer to the ground with appropriate protection.

Last edited by landcruiser123 : 26th December 2020 at 10:47.
landcruiser123 is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 26th December 2020, 22:45   #18
BHPian

Great review.
Apart from luxury, Skoda octavia with 2L tsi 190ps/320nm is more practical than S60. Enthusiast will pick 330i over S60 any day. So the customer base for Volvo in India is very limited. Having said that, no auto maker can beat the Volvo safety features and that's their biggest USP.
Old 27th December 2020, 01:59   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by landcruiser123 View Post
Gentlemen, refer this post:

This is a strengthening measure as sheet metal is generally not supported by the frame. .
This is very surprising.. But not surprising that Volvo would choose to strengthen and add safety features in every way possible way..

Thanks for sharing the article link!

Btw, is this common for most Volvo vehicles? The S90 / V90 (fwd variants) as well?

Last edited by FloatingCanvas : 27th December 2020 at 02:01. Reason: Typo - using phone to reply
FloatingCanvas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th December 2020, 22:12   #20
BHPian

Having been put off by the recent experiences with Audi dealers, parents are looking to widen the scope for the A4 replacement candidate. Dad has always been a fan of the S90 though that might be too big. Which is why I'm thoroughly intrigued by the S60. It has the same striking design, don't see that many so would have somewhat exclusivity (which is a big deal for parents - particularly mum) - dad isn't a fan of BMW and is lukewarm on Mercedes so the current favourites oddly enough are from the Swedes or the Brits (JLR - Evoque or Discovery Sport, different segments I know).

However I'm curious of the Volvo ownership experience of members - are there any in the Calcutta area that members know of? Even a thread of the same would be very helpful because an uncle of mine is considering the XC40 to get his wife, so there might be two potential Volvo's in the family next year. Whatever replaces the A4 is likely to be around for a while and I would want something that offers the sort of fuss free ownership experience my parents had in the first year of the Audi. Thanks in advance!
ads11 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th January 2021, 12:19   #21
Distinguished - BHPian

Volvo S60 launched at an introductory price of ₹45.9L ex-showroom. Powering the S60 is a 2L turbo petrol motor pumping out 190Bhp and 300Nm of torque.

Volvo S60 : Official Review-8aff08fd5c2346a3ba0451ecb793bbd0.jpeg

https://www.instagram.com/p/CKQdD2yH...d=alqwrxizrmab
CEF_Beasts is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th January 2021, 12:47   #22
Senior - BHPian

3rd-gen Volvo S60 priced at Rs. 45.90 lakh; bookings open

Volvo has started accepting advance online bookings for the third generation S60. The introductory price of the sedan is Rs. 45.90 lakh (ex-showroom). This price is valid on online bookings for a limited period only.

Volvo S60 : Official Review-new-s60-image.jpg

The third-generation S60 is based on the Scalable Product Architecture (SPA) platform. The car measures 4,761 mm in length, 2040 mm in width, 1,431 mm in height and its wheelbase is 2,872 mm. It features Thor's hammer LED daytime running lights at the front and has a reworked rear end with C-shaped LED tail lights. The car rides on 18-inch diamond-cut alloy wheels.

On the inside, the car gets a vertically mounted touchscreen infotainment head-unit just like the second-generation model. It comes equipped with features such as 4-zone automatic climate control, Harman Kardon audio system, wireless charging and panoramic sunroof.

Volvo S60 : Official Review-download-47.jpg

Some of the safety features offered in the S60 include adaptive cruise control, pilot assist, oncoming mitigation by braking, city safety with steering support, Run-off Road Mitigation, lane keeping aid, driver alert control and brakes with hill start assist.

The S60 is powered by a 2.0-litre, 4-cylinder petrol engine that produces 187 BHP and 300 Nm.

Volvo S60 : Official Review-download-48.jpg

Volvo is also offering complementary membership to its exclusive Tre Kronor Experience program. It includes a dedicated Volvo relationship manager, doorstep solutions for certain services, complimentary pick up and drop of cars for service-related needs, benefits for referring new customers and rewards for new purchases.

Link to Team-BHP News

Last edited by TusharK : 20th January 2021 at 12:51.
TusharK is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 20th January 2021, 12:52   #23
BHPian

Re: 3rd-gen Volvo S60 priced at Rs. 45.90 lakh; bookings open

At this price it's DOA - Volvo has poor brand recall and resale in the Indian market. The 330i is a far better option for petrol heads at a similar price.
Old 20th January 2021, 12:56   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JishD View Post
At this price it's DOA - Volvo has poor brand recall and resale in the Indian market. The 330i is a far better option for petrol heads at a similar price.
Petrol heads/enthusiasts would choose the BMW 330i without thinking twice, but I think the Volvo is the perfect choice for people who prioritise A.S.S and reliability.

Think of it as a reliable alternative to the C class

Last edited by Darkviper : 20th January 2021 at 12:58.
Darkviper is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th January 2021, 13:17   #25
Distinguished - BHPian

Sedans of this category are bought by two types of customers: those who love driving and those who need a fancy-brand executive car. Rest trend to buy SUVs/crossovers. Even though Volvo sedans are of high quality (they are arguably better looking and with better fit and finish), they lack driving dynamics and brand cachet (relatively) which is the reason their SUVs tend to sell more.
androdev is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 20th January 2021, 13:35   #26
Senior - BHPian

Volvo fleet of safety centric cars grows in India with all new S60.

Volvo S60 : Official Review-20210120_133437.jpg

Link

Last edited by Venkatesh : 20th January 2021 at 13:38.
Venkatesh is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th January 2021, 14:38   #27
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkviper View Post
I think the Volvo is the perfect choice for people who prioritise A.S.S and reliability.
ESor a Camry will be a better option in that case. Being a CBU and with current exchange rate of Euro, Volvo will be in a spot.

Frankly, I don't see this moving.
Turbanator is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th February 2021, 22:59   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkviper View Post
Petrol heads/enthusiasts would choose the BMW 330i without thinking twice, but I think the Volvo is the perfect choice for people who prioritise A.S.S and reliability. Think of it as a reliable alternative to the C class
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
ESor a Camry will be a better option in that case. Being a CBU and with current exchange rate of Euro, Volvo will be in a spot. Frankly, I don't see this moving.
Exactly. I will also add that Volvos haven't been exactly niggle free in the past. At a matching price point, Bimmers or Mercs will offer a wider service network, parts availability, brand recall and resale value (more than value, it is easier to sell a BMW or a Merc in a 2nd hand market because they get lapped up easier into Tier II and III cities, where the FNG can source parts and work on them).

Volvo needs to get its price into the 30s to really make any impact - but that might not be possible given the high tax on CBU and the current Euro rates. So end result will be a slow moving product. Will hardly sell 10-20 units.
Old 11th February 2021, 18:10   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by autotranny View Post
Exactly. I will also add that Volvos haven't been exactly niggle free in the past. At a matching price point, Bimmers or Mercs will offer a wider service network, parts availability, brand recall and resale value (more than value, it is easier to sell a BMW or a Merc in a 2nd hand market because they get lapped up easier into Tier II and III cities, where the FNG can source parts and work on them).

Volvo needs to get its price into the 30s to really make any impact - but that might not be possible given the high tax on CBU and the current Euro rates. So end result will be a slow moving product. Will hardly sell 10-20 units.
Actually a shame given their line up is actually superior for practical use. Extremely well built, top notch safety aids that the competition mostly doesn't offer, excellent road manners and ride quality. I test drove the new S60 recently and was very much pleased with its refinement levels, sorted suspension and the overall cabin quality that nearly matched an S90. The legroom at the rear was better too comparatively. Having said that I wouldn't buy it without some good discounts that one can expect towards the end of this year or next year once they start to move some numbers.

The brand recall and value is where I totally agree that they need to work towards but again we are definitely seeing more Volvo on roads these days than we did 10 years ago. The brand certainly has a pull, I got to tell you. I am still keeping my eyes wide open for a used V90 CC despite the fact that I can very well access several other new vehicle options in that price bracket.
Old 22nd February 2021, 16:47   #30

My dad just got a test drive for the new S60 and was completely blown away. What was supposed to be just a 'Checking the competition' thing, has now become a must buy thing. He was earlier quite convinced with the 3 series GL version. I fail to see his point of view, but I have never in my life seen him so excited about a car. He is almost 60 and this will probably be the last car that he will be driving himself. Thats why I was pushing for a 3 series, as it is clearly more fun to drive. But, the heart wants what the heart wants I guess. I am having serious reservations. Any feedback about sales and service of Volvo Ahmedabad? Should we go for it? Also, there is a silver color available which is nowhere to be seen in the marketing.

Also had a look at the allocations for Ahmedabad for this CBU and looking at it they DO NOT expect the sales to be very good. I saw a total of only 21 cars allocated to Ahmedabad till August 2021 across all colors.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks