Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews


Reply
 
Search this Thread
Old 22nd March 2021, 14:59   #166
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Reinhard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Pune
Posts: 4,397
Thanked: 14,768 Times
Default Re: Tata Altroz 1.2L Turbo-Petrol Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by yesyeswe View Post
So finally received my cousin's Altroz on 15th after just waiting for 25 days, fortunately someone had cancelled their booking and we got alloted their car. Total amount paid was 9.40 lakhs on road for XZ-O variant, we had booked the XZ variant but the cancelled Altroz was XZ-O and the showroom manager offered us that without any extra cost.
Congratulations to your brother (and you)! Now you have 2 solid cars in the family, including yours.

I'm quite intrigued with your case. Do you secretly own the dealership ? Previously you managed to get a really good deal/discount on the car. Now - you get an XZ(O) for the price of XZ? Why on earth would the dealer do this since there will be customers ready to pay the sticker price for immediate delivery anyway. He'd have no reason or urgency to give-away the car at a discount! Good for you though. Congrats again & enjoy!
Quote:
Originally Posted by coldice4u View Post
The last gen Revotron petrol engines and the Xeta petrol which were based on the same block used to make quite a racket after 5-6 years or 55-60k. Loud enough for people to ask if the car was a diesel. The newer gen engines launched with the Tiago will soon cross be crossing that mark.
Thats interesting. I have not heard a noisy 1.2 Revotron Bolt/Zest yet. They seem to run quite smooth even with their age. Of course - there are very few specimens in the sample set so that already skews the result.

Last edited by Reinhard : 22nd March 2021 at 15:00.
Reinhard is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2021, 04:34   #167
BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 98
Thanked: 36 Times
Default Re: Tata Altroz 1.2L Turbo-Petrol Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldice4u View Post
A more detailed Autocar review of the Altroz turbo. Concerns include the lower than expected FE and the high NVH which might ruin the premium experience.

I also wonder how the new gen Tata petrol engines will age. The last gen Revotron petrol engines and the Xeta petrol which were based on the same block used to make quite a racket after 5-6 years or 55-60k. Loud enough for people to ask if the car was a diesel. The newer gen engines launched with the Tiago will soon cross be crossing that mark. Awaiting feedback on the forum about the same.

https://www.autocarindia.com/car-rev...ad-test-420191
Thanks for the inputs. What's the practical FE expected ? Is the issue only high sound NVH or any fundamental engine issue ? If it's latter, it's something to ponder deeply.
manduvindupondu is offline  
Old 23rd March 2021, 10:17   #168
BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Bengaluru
Posts: 645
Thanked: 2,232 Times
Default Re: Tata Altroz 1.2L Turbo-Petrol Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldice4u View Post
....
I also wonder how the new gen Tata petrol engines will age. The last gen Revotron petrol engines and the Xeta petrol which were based on the same block used to make quite a racket after 5-6 years or 55-60k. Loud enough for people to ask if the car was a diesel. The newer gen engines launched with the Tiago will soon cross be crossing that mark. Awaiting feedback on the forum about the same.
.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard View Post
.....
Thats interesting. I have not heard a noisy 1.2 Revotron Bolt/Zest yet. They seem to run quite smooth even with their age. Of course - there are very few specimens in the sample set so that already skews the result.
Off topic to Altroz: Owner of 5-year old Zest Revotron (4-cylinder, Petrol, turbocharged) here. ODO is around 49,000 kms. Engine bay NVH is more or less same as day-1. Definitely not as smooth & silent as other 1.2 liter petrols out there. Clatter is more diesel like but importantly haven't seen much deterioration since day-1. Also, NVH is not felt inside the cabin.

Back to Altroz: As a current Tata owner, if I wanted to upgrade within the brand, what (petrol) choices do I have? Altroz & Nexon. Imagine, going for a premium hatch (Altroz) to get the same TA65 gearbox (not the best out there) with the same 140 Nm torque limitation. And one less cylinder, with the accompanying extra NVH. Not really an upgrade in powertrain terms. Perhaps, other premium features will make up for it!
With Nexon, at least one gets a newer 6-speed gearbox (TA6300?) but with the same 3-cylinder engine.

Last edited by srvm : 23rd March 2021 at 10:19.
srvm is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2021, 10:27   #169
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Reinhard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Pune
Posts: 4,397
Thanked: 14,768 Times
Default Re: Tata Altroz 1.2L Turbo-Petrol Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by srvm View Post
Back to Altroz: As a current Tata owner, if I wanted to upgrade within the brand, what (petrol) choices do I have? Altroz & Nexon. Imagine, going for a premium hatch (Altroz) to get the same TA65 gearbox (not the best out there) with the same 140 Nm torque limitation. And one less cylinder, with the accompanying extra NVH. Not really an upgrade in powertrain terms. Perhaps, other premium features will make up for it!
With Nexon, at least one gets a newer 6-speed gearbox (TA6300?) but with the same 3-cylinder engine.
Trust me - this is the dilemma for a lot of previous Vista/Manza/Zest/Bolt users. Me included. Maybe you should carry on a bit more for some years and then get a Harrier instead .

Even when you opt for the Nexon (I went from Vista to Nexon) - you end up with the same X1 platform, whereas the Altroz gets a more modern one. In my case - i at least got a better diesel engine since diesel was always my #1 requirement. If I was looking for a petrol - I'd probably have simply carried on with my diesel Vista. I'd not have found the Altroz or Nexon petrol to be convincing enough to spend the money.
Reinhard is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2021, 11:07   #170
Distinguished - BHPian
 
ashis89's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Bengaluru
Posts: 2,989
Thanked: 8,222 Times
Default Re: Tata Altroz 1.2L Turbo-Petrol Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldice4u View Post
I also wonder how the new gen Tata petrol engines will age. The last gen Revotron petrol engines and the Xeta petrol which were based on the same block used to make quite a racket after 5-6 years or 55-60k. Loud enough for people to ask if the car was a diesel. The newer gen engines launched with the Tiago will soon cross be crossing that mark. Awaiting feedback on the forum about the same.
The previous gen Tata Revotron petrol (4-cyl) was slightly louder from the factory itself. But the engine was smooth on the go.

Regarding longevity, there are few petrol Tiago owners nearing 1L mark. Diesel owners are past that mark. Their cars continue to perform well. Another thread which might pique your interest is this 50k kms non-stop endurance run conducted by Tata to show the reliability of these engines.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/india...ge-vrde-7.html (Tata - Great Endurance Challenge @ VRDE)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard View Post
I have not heard a noisy 1.2 Revotron Bolt/Zest yet. They seem to run quite smooth even with their age. Of course - there are very few specimens in the sample set so that already skews the result.
Quote:
Originally Posted by manduvindupondu View Post
Thanks for the inputs. What's the practical FE expected ? Is the issue only high sound NVH or any fundamental engine issue ? If it's latter, it's something to ponder deeply.
Quote:
Originally Posted by srvm View Post
Off topic to Altroz: Owner of 5-year old Zest Revotron (4-cylinder, Petrol, turbocharged) here. ODO is around 49,000 kms. Engine bay NVH is more or less same as day-1. Definitely not as smooth & silent as other 1.2 liter petrols out there. Clatter is more diesel like but importantly haven't seen much deterioration since day-1. Also, NVH is not felt inside the cabin.
There were 4 Zest Revotron petrol cars in my father's office. Each had done anywhere between 80k and 150k kms with daily running ~100-200 kms. They were doing very well with just routine maintenance. These were replacements for old Boleros and hence, the drivers were not very used to petrol cars. They used to start in 2nd gear, lug the engine and slip the clutch but the cars chugged along.

My father retired last year and I don't have the latest updates for these cars.

So yes, these engines are reliable and fairly abuse friendly.
ashis89 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 26th March 2021, 16:23   #171
BHPian
 
yesyeswe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: Pune - Jaipur
Posts: 592
Thanked: 1,693 Times
Default Re: Tata Altroz 1.2L Turbo-Petrol Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard View Post

I'm quite intrigued with your case. Do you secretly own the dealership ? Previously you managed to get a really good deal/discount on the car. Now - you get an XZ(O) for the price of XZ? Why on earth would the dealer do this since there will be customers ready to pay the sticker price for immediate delivery anyway. He'd have no reason or urgency to give-away the car at a discount! Good for you though. Congrats again &
Thank you, this discount and the the variant upgrade made me suspicious too, but it has been 10 days and 1200 kms and no issues whatsoever, so maybe we just got lucky.

So had my first highway trip in the Altroz, my brother had left the car with me to get some accessories installed, got 3d mats, seat covers and sun blinds. Moreover i found the height of the arm rest to be low, so got it raised by 2 inches by putting in foam and and a cover on top of it, it looks weird from the side but it solves the purpose.

We were 4 people in the car and boot full of luggage, we left early so no ac was required for the first 250 kms. I was averaging speeds of 80-90 kmph and gradual acceleration, the fuel efficiency reached 22.7 kmpl. Then for the last 100 kms, roads turned bad and the heat rose so turned on the ac. Final efficiency was 20.7 kmpl for a journey of 360 kms.

Now some comparison with my 2014 volkswagen polo 2014 petrol model. My parents were amazed by the space inside, coming from a polo it's a big improvement, the rear arm rest added to the comfort levels as well. The music system is fantastic, the 8 speaker sound system has a very good bass and clarity.

The ride quality is better as well, Road undulations and going over potholes felt better in Altroz. Even i wasn't tired at all after the journey! That amazed me a lot, in polo after the same journey I get some back pain. The arm rest adds to the comfort level as well.

I love the clutch, it's light and travel is less as well, coming from polo's clutch whose clutch travel starts from Kanyakumari and ends in Kashmir, the Altroz's clutch was a blessing.

Braking is better as well, has a sharp bite to it, it took me some time to get hang of it, but now I enjoy the better braking.

Now coming to the negative, the only gripe I had was with the gearbox, maybe it's new that is the reason but the gearshifts are not smooth at all. The travel of the gear shift is long, it's not smooth and sometimes you have to search for the gears. In polo I can change gears subconsciously but here in Altroz you are always aware of changing gears. One gets used to in some time, but Polo has super smooth gearshifts.

The car is in running period and I am a sedate driver, so haven't tested the performance aspect of the car yet. But in sports mode it's responsive and felt adequate.
Attached Thumbnails
Tata Altroz 1.2L Turbo-Petrol Review-img_20210325_132322.jpg  

Tata Altroz 1.2L Turbo-Petrol Review-img_20210325_132354.jpg  

Tata Altroz 1.2L Turbo-Petrol Review-img_20210325_132515.jpg  

Tata Altroz 1.2L Turbo-Petrol Review-img_20210325_221515.jpg  


Last edited by yesyeswe : 26th March 2021 at 16:26.
yesyeswe is offline   (20) Thanks
Old 26th March 2021, 17:47   #172
BHPian
 
akshay380's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Goa
Posts: 963
Thanked: 1,262 Times
Default Re: Tata Altroz 1.2L Turbo-Petrol Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by yesyeswe View Post
.
For iTurbo, XZ and XZ(O) are priced the same so technically you didn't get any discount there. But the initial discount was very good deal!

In other news, the rear glass does get murky in Altroz so soon. Lots of discussion about that in FB groups.

In some more news, my friend who worked on Altroz in initial design stage(he works with PB in UK ) said VW Golf was the benchmark in chasis design. It speaks for itself

Last edited by akshay380 : 26th March 2021 at 17:48.
akshay380 is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 28th March 2021, 15:09   #173
BHPian
 
indivic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Chennai
Posts: 827
Thanked: 160 Times
Default Re: Tata Altroz 1.2L Turbo-Petrol Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by yesyeswe View Post
We were 4 people in the car and boot full of luggage, we left early so no ac was required for the first 250 kms. I was averaging speeds of 80-90 kmph and gradual acceleration, the fuel efficiency reached 22.7 kmpl. Then for the last 100 kms, roads turned bad and the heat rose so turned on the ac. Final efficiency was 20.7 kmpl for a journey of 360 kms.

Now some comparison with my 2014 volkswagen polo 2014 petrol model. My parents were amazed by the space inside, coming from a polo it's a big improvement, the rear arm rest added to the comfort levels as well.
Congrats on the new ride .The highway FE is pretty good for the turbo engine, any pointers on the efficiency on city?

How was the rear seat comfort ? We as a family took a TD and my mother and wife felt the rear seat lacking in thigh support and we are all of average height only.
indivic is offline  
Old 31st March 2021, 09:42   #174
BHPian
 
yesyeswe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: Pune - Jaipur
Posts: 592
Thanked: 1,693 Times
Default Re: Tata Altroz 1.2L Turbo-Petrol Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay380 View Post
In other news, the rear glass does get murky in Altroz so soon. Lots of discussion about that in FB groups.
Even i noticed the rear glass getting dirty a lot earlier as compared to my polo, currently I'm in my village place where there's a lot dust and the Altroz's rear gets full of dust in a very short drive, whereas the Polo's doesn't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by indivic View Post
Congrats on the new ride .The highway FE is pretty good for the turbo engine, any pointers on the efficiency on city?

How was the rear seat comfort ? We as a family took a TD and my mother and wife felt the rear seat lacking in thigh support and we are all of average height only.
Thank you, well calculating the fuel consumption of a city ride is impossible as there are so many factors involved and the scenario is always different. Condition of the road, traffic on the road, number of stops involved, ac non ac use, hard acceleration used to get away from the traffic and whatnot. I only calculate the F.E. on the highway and on highway the Altroz turbo is very efficient when driven with light foot.

Now coming to the back seat comfort, even i noticed that the under thigh support is less and the height of the seat is low too, but I'm always on the front seats so it didn't effect me that much. But it could have been better.

Coming to the overall conclusion I think Altroz turbo zx is the best vehicle in the segment considering all the aspects of a vehicle. I thought Polo turbo edition or highline plus edition would a good option as well but after using the Altroz for 5 days and driving it for 500 kms and then coming back to my Polo, my polo felt actually dated in each and every criteria apart from the gearbox. Now I actually hate the clutch travel of my Polo.

P. S. The sexy one likes to get dirty a lot!
Attached Thumbnails
Tata Altroz 1.2L Turbo-Petrol Review-img_20210327_190251.jpg  


Last edited by yesyeswe : 31st March 2021 at 09:43.
yesyeswe is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 31st March 2021, 12:59   #175
BHPian
 
indivic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Chennai
Posts: 827
Thanked: 160 Times
Default Re: Tata Altroz 1.2L Turbo-Petrol Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by yesyeswe View Post

Now coming to the back seat comfort, even i noticed that the under thigh support is less and the height of the seat is low too, but I'm always on the front seats so it didn't effect me that much. But it could have been better.
This is the only point which is holding me back, the back seat will be occupied 70% of the time in my case and since both the home minister and prime minister voted against the back seat, I am checking how to overcome this issue
indivic is offline  
Old 31st March 2021, 13:04   #176
Distinguished - BHPian
 
ashis89's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Bengaluru
Posts: 2,989
Thanked: 8,222 Times
Default Re: Tata Altroz 1.2L Turbo-Petrol Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by indivic View Post
I am checking how to overcome this issue
1. Occupants taking turns to occupy the front passenger seat

2. A grand lottery at the start of every trip, winner takes front seat!

3. Forget Altroz and look for something where everyone is comfortable
ashis89 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st March 2021, 14:02   #177
BHPian
 
yesyeswe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: Pune - Jaipur
Posts: 592
Thanked: 1,693 Times
Default Re: Tata Altroz 1.2L Turbo-Petrol Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by indivic View Post
This is the only point which is holding me back, the back seat will be occupied 70% of the time in my case and since both the home minister and prime minister voted against the back seat, I am checking how to overcome this issue
One work around is to get custom seat covers made, even I got them made for the Altroz, starts very cheap as well, mine costed 4700rs as it was the premium material according to them, otherwise normal ones stars at 3500rs.

So while the covers gets stitched you can ask them to add extra foam at the bottom part, this would increase the seat height and increase the overall comfort.
yesyeswe is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st March 2021, 14:28   #178
Distinguished - BHPian
 
PrasannaDhana's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: TRICHY - TN
Posts: 2,666
Thanked: 15,645 Times
Default Re: Tata Altroz 1.2L Turbo-Petrol Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by yesyeswe View Post

Now coming to the negative, the only gripe I had was with the gearbox, maybe it's new that is the reason but the gearshifts are not smooth at all. The travel of the gear shift is long, it's not smooth and sometimes you have to search for the gears. In polo I can change gears subconsciously but here in Altroz you are always aware of changing gears. One gets used to in some time, but Polo has super smooth gearshifts.
Achilles heel of the Altroz!

My relative came to me for suggestion regarding which one to buy between Baleno and new i20. I asked them to test drive the Altroz. He came back very satisfied. He is a newbie, he gave this single comment about Altroz- "Excellent car, I like it in all areas but the gear shift was not smooth like the i20". Tata being a home brand, he considers that sentiment and is contemplating booking one soon.

This is what happens when you put in the Tiago's 5 speed gearbox in your premium hatch, Tata. If only Altroz had Nexon's 6 speed MT, the power figures would have also been segment best, making the Altroz a true driver's delight and a proper hot hatch.

Meanwhile, I am going to Tata dealer today to test drive Nexon diesel for a friend. Let me get my hands on the Altroz diesel. Clearly wanna know how bad that gearbox is.

PS: Don't let the polo's credentials go down comparing with the Altroz. Just drive the highline plus 1.0 TSi MT, you will convince yourself that you don't need space in a car

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 7th April 2021 at 21:06. Reason: typos
PrasannaDhana is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 31st March 2021, 15:41   #179
BHPian
 
Benoit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2020
Location: Madurai/Chennai
Posts: 225
Thanked: 481 Times
Default Re: Tata Altroz 1.2L Turbo-Petrol Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrasannaDhana View Post
Let me get my hands on the Altroz diesel. Clearly wanna know how bad that gearbox is.
Altroz petrol and diesel versions feature different gear boxes. Petrol version's gear box supports only 150Nm, while the diesel engine produces 200Nm. So it would be impossible to use the petrol gear box.
Benoit is offline  
Old 31st March 2021, 16:32   #180
BHPian
 
indivic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Chennai
Posts: 827
Thanked: 160 Times
Default Re: Tata Altroz 1.2L Turbo-Petrol Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by yesyeswe View Post
One work around is to get custom seat covers made, even I got them made for the Altroz, starts very cheap as well, mine costed 4700rs as it was the premium material according to them, otherwise normal ones stars at 3500rs.

So while the covers gets stitched you can ask them to add extra foam at the bottom part, this would increase the seat height and increase the overall comfort.
I am thinking of getting something fabricated like the product in the link below

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4001...archweb201603_

and to cover it up will get seat covers installed. My uncle's Amaze will be the test bed for this
indivic is offline   (1) Thanks
Reply

Most Viewed
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Copyright 2000 - 2022, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks