Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th April 2021, 21:13   #181
BHPian

Re: Tata Altroz 1.2L Turbo-Petrol Review

A close friend of mine located in Kerala recently picked up Altroz XZ(O) turbo variant in red colour.

He is an ardent fan of last generation i20 and was planning to pick the new generation one on the launch itself but the pricing played the major spoilsport. The only variant which was coming in his budget was almost bare bones.

Later on, he checked out Altroz, loved it, waited for the turbo pricing reveal and instantly booked it. i20's loss Is Altroz's gain here. Still in running-in period, and to be very honest this car looks rad from every angle. Hopefully, I will get to drive this next month when he will visit us in Bengaluru.

Attaching a pic of the beautiful machine.

Tata Altroz 1.2L Turbo-Petrol Review-whatsapp-image-20210407-16.09.58.jpeg
Highh5 is offline   (23) Thanks
Old 12th April 2021, 18:30   #182
BHPian

Completely off topic reply to Altroz, but worth a discuss ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard View Post
Thats interesting. I have not heard a noisy 1.2 Revotron Bolt/Zest yet. They seem to run quite smooth even with their age. Of course - there are very few specimens in the sample set so that already skews the result.
My Bolt is 5.5 years old and 60K run. This engine was never the smoothest or quietest in its class but now I can hear quite a bit of clatter inside the cabin post 2k RPM which did not exist before. Initially had thought it was down to the car nearing its service, but i didn't see any improvement post oil & filter change. I must say i did use a different brand of oil but with the exact same grade.

Quote:
Originally Posted by srvm View Post
Off topic to Altroz: Owner of 5-year old Zest Revotron (4-cylinder, Petrol, turbocharged) here. ODO is around 49,000 kms. Engine bay NVH is more or less same as day-1. Definitely not as smooth & silent as other 1.2 liter petrols out there. Clatter is more diesel like but importantly haven't seen much deterioration since day-1. Also, NVH is not felt inside the cabin.
Agreed, just that I noticed that the clatter has increased post 55k quite noticeably. This is quite similar to what i had observed on the pre turbo variant of the engine on the Indica Xeta. On that car, clatter & noise was acceptable at the beginning but as the car aged, it increased quite a bit for people to wonder if it was a diesel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard View Post
Trust me - this is the dilemma for a lot of previous Vista/Manza/Zest/Bolt users. Maybe you should carry on a bit more for some years and then get a Harrier instead .
If I was looking for a petrol - I'd probably have simply carried on with my diesel Vista. I'd not have found the Altroz or Nexon petrol to be convincing enough to spend the money.
A bang on comment ! Somehow going by the reviews & compared to TATA , Mahindra seems to do a better job on engines everytime ! Praises plenty for their new and old gen petrol engines !

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashis89 View Post
Regarding longevity, there are few petrol Tiago owners nearing 1L mark. Diesel owners are past that mark. Their cars continue to perform well.

So yes, these engines are reliable and fairly abuse friendly.
I think, the reliability of these engines was never in question. Its just the noise and clatter which was acceptable to begin with but seemed to degrade noticeably over longer periods(6-7 yrs).
Hence i was very curious as to how the new gen TATA engines on the Nexon,Tiago, Altroz would age out over longer periods
coldice4u is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th April 2021, 19:22   #183
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldice4u View Post
Completely off topic reply to Altroz, but worth a discuss ?

My Bolt is 5.5 years old and 60K run. This engine was never the smoothest or quietest in its class but now I can hear quite a bit of clatter inside the cabin post 2k RPM which did not exist before. Initially had thought it was down to the car nearing its service, but i didn't see any improvement post oil & filter change. I must say i did use a different brand of oil but with the exact same grade.

The old Revotron engine in the Zest and Bolt need regular valve clearance inspections and adjustments. Have you had it checked and adjusted in your car?

The new Revotron in the Tiago, Nexon and Altroz have self-adjusting hydraulic valve clearance adjusters. They are maintanence-free.
Motard_Blr is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 23rd April 2021, 20:59   #184
BHPian

Planning to pickup between iTurbo and 1.2 NA i20.

Test drove the iturbo, felt crude for a petrol as the vibration were present at all rpms which was frankly a downgrade from my 10 year old i10. Still to test drive the 1.2 NA i20, people say its a gas guzzler but at this price I dont have may options. And I think i20 with 1.2 NA will be more reliable and low maintenance in the long run.

What do you suggest?
Old 23rd April 2021, 21:37   #185
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sameer016 View Post
Planning to pickup between iTurbo and 1.2 NA i20.

Test drove the iturbo, felt crude for a petrol as the vibration were present at all rpms which was frankly a downgrade from my 10 year old i10. Still to test drive the 1.2 NA i20, people say its a gas guzzler but at this price I dont have may options. And I think i20 with 1.2 NA will be more reliable and low maintenance in the long run.

What do you suggest?
i20 1.2 petrol will inherently be smoother and quieter as it is a 4 cylinder engine. But yes, it will guzzle fuel and won’t have anywhere near the go as Tata’s turbo petrel.

You can expect the Altroz to have cheaper long term maintenance. Take gold AMC, it will cover all your service related expenses including wear and tear parts. Foolproof and no tension.
Old 23rd April 2021, 21:42   #186
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreyans_Jain View Post
i20 1.2 petrol will inherently be smoother and quieter as it is a 4 cylinder engine. But yes, it will guzzle fuel and won’t have anywhere near the go as Tata’s turbo petrel.

You can expect the Altroz to have cheaper long term maintenance. Take gold AMC, it will cover all your service related expenses including wear and tear parts. Foolproof and no tension.
Yes, its down on power, however iturbo engine being relatively new, is still to be tested and I have a feeling it wont be as refined as new in the long run.
Old 23rd April 2021, 22:51   #187
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sameer016 View Post
Yes, its down on power, however iturbo engine being relatively new, is still to be tested and I have a feeling it wont be as refined as new in the long run.
Tata’s turbo petrol isn’t the last word in refinement. Hyundai turbo petrol is certainly more refined. But it is also a lot more expensive. i20’s basic engine, the 1.2NA petro, is the one priced in vicinity of Altroz turbo petrol. The value proposition is hard to beat.

Tata’s engine is as proven as it gets, running successfully in lakhs of Nexons for many years now.

Last edited by Shreyans_Jain : 23rd April 2021 at 22:52.
Shreyans_Jain is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 23rd April 2021, 22:54   #188
BHPian

Quote:
at this price I dont have may options.
Taking of 3 cylinder engines at this price points, have you tried Ford's 1.2L dragon petrol? Quite refined.
Old 20th May 2021, 16:59   #189
BHPian

Guys,
Recently I took delivery of the Altroz . Is there speed restriction till 1000 kms ?
Old 20th May 2021, 17:53   #190
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manduvindupondu View Post
Guys,
Recently I took delivery of the Altroz . Is there speed restriction till 1000 kms ?
Not really necessary for modern engines. However it is a good practice to run in the engine for the first 1000kms. You can restrict engine rpm to 2-2.5k in all gears.
Old 28th May 2021, 21:18   #191
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motard_Blr View Post
The old Revotron engine in the Zest and Bolt need regular valve clearance inspections and adjustments. Have you had it checked and adjusted in your car?

The new Revotron in the Tiago, Nexon and Altroz have self-adjusting hydraulic valve clearance adjusters. They are maintanence-free.
OffTopic

Checked my previous service receipts and I cannot see anything indicating Valve adjustments on both 30K and 60K services. Any pointers on how complicated or simple is a valve clearance adjustment process and is it advised to get this done only with company service centers ?
coldice4u is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th May 2021, 22:54   #192
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldice4u View Post
OffTopic

Checked my previous service receipts and I cannot see anything indicating Valve adjustments on both 30K and 60K services. Any pointers on how complicated or simple is a valve clearance adjustment process and is it advised to get this done only with company service centers ?
The valve tappet clearance is easily adjusted and any good mechanic should be able to do it. But if you prefer the Tata service centre, stick to it. The job could be done during the next service.
Motard_Blr is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd June 2021, 01:23   #193

Altroz Turbo vs Hyundai Venue:

I am planning to buy a vehicle real soon and am having a tough time deciding between these two options i.e Venue turbo(MT) vs Altroz Turbo. I am not interested in the i20 turbo as I do not like its ride, steering feedback and handling. My wife is fine with both and tells me to go with the Altroz turbo as it will save quite a bit of money. Me on the other hand, feel like I can pay more and get a better product(Venue) which is more premium, reliable(?), refined and has the better engine and gearbox. I did like the handling and ride of the Altroz turbo very much, though want to re-test drive after reading quite a few reports of higher cabin and road noise. Perhaps someone can confirm the same? GC is not such an issue but is a plus for sure. Please advise on which is a better car to buy, as budget is not a constraint here?
Old 2nd June 2021, 02:04   #194
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gks777 View Post
Altroz Turbo vs Hyundai Venue:

I am planning to buy a vehicle real soon and am having a tough time deciding between these two options i.e Venue turbo(MT) vs Altroz Turbo. I am not interested in the i20 turbo as I do not like its ride, steering feedback and handling. My wife is fine with both and tells me to go with the Altroz turbo as it will save quite a bit of money.
The Venue does have a lot of drawbacks compared to the Altroz:

1. The rear seat is quite cramped in the Venue.
2. Being a much higher riding vehicle, Venue will suffer from greater body roll.
3. Issue of questionable safety in Venue.
4. Pretty expensive for what it offers.

Drawbacks of Altroz:

1. Tata A.S.S is a problem.
2. Perils of buying a 1st gen Tata.

However, money no object, I'd still go for the Altroz just for it's safety and better handling.

Just my 2 cents.
akash_v12 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 2nd June 2021, 05:29   #195
BHPian

Road noise is due to crappy tires. I switched to Continental UC6 on day of delivery and they are super silent. Mine is a diesel XZ.
akshay380 is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks