Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th January 2022, 15:45   #286
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Tata Altroz 1.2L Turbo-Petrol Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrasannaDhana View Post
I am not getting it. Isnt it the same eco mode button? What am I missing?
From the official brochure.pdf:-

i-Turbo:

Tata Altroz 1.2L Turbo-Petrol Review-1.jpg

Normal 1.2 NA:

Tata Altroz 1.2L Turbo-Petrol Review-2.jpg

Which one does it resemble?
RavenAvi is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 9th January 2022, 08:53   #287
BHPian

A DCT with the Nexon tune of the 1.2 turbo-petrol in the Altroz is all that I want for a perfect hatchback. The car already has sorted dynamics, just needs the right amount of power to be a proper alternative to something like the N line DCT
Old 12th January 2022, 15:35   #288
BHPian

Quote:
Any idea at what RPM does the turbo kick in? (Couldn't find it in owners manual). Felt driving in city traffic a little tricky (lower pickup than expected) than my prior NA engine and had certainly felt the pickup to be better on the test drive vehicle(must confess In driving only in city drive mode and haven't yet engaged sports mode- as the vehicle is still in its running-in period).
Not sure if this is just the turbo lag that I should get used to- or am I overreacting and should allow the engine to run some more and familiarise myself with the driving dynamics more (present ODO 200kms)? Does changing the spark plug(as had been tried with NA petrol) help, considering it's the same 1.2L revotron engine? Did enquire about ECU updates- there are none for iTurbo.
A follow-up post to my prior one. While experimenting with features of the new vehicle, found out that both pick-up (from stationary state) and fuel efficiency get a big boost (latter climbing up from 9kmpl to 14kmpl in MID, on the same route, at the same time of the day with nearly equivalent traffic). While a bit of it is expected as usual with AC turned off with any vehicle, I found the difference rather exaggerated- even the turbo kicking-in in mid-range (2500RPM onwards) is much more pronounced. Also, below 2000RPM, one can easily and comfortably move around in city traffic, with lightest of the pedal taps with light foot- the engine suddenly becomes much, much more responsive. Is this something experienced by fellow iturbo users, or is there something abnormal with my AC module? Planning to have the latter checked when the vehicle goes for first service soon.
Old 13th January 2022, 18:47   #289
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikhil Beke View Post
A follow-up post to my prior one. While experimenting with features of the new vehicle, found out that both pick-up (from stationary state) and fuel efficiency get a big boost (latter climbing up from 9kmpl to 14kmpl in MID, on the same route, at the same time of the day with nearly equivalent traffic). While a bit of it is expected as usual with AC turned off with any vehicle, I found the difference rather exaggerated- even the turbo kicking-in in mid-range (2500RPM onwards) is much more pronounced. Also, below 2000RPM, one can easily and comfortably move around in city traffic, with lightest of the pedal taps with light foot- the engine suddenly becomes much, much more responsive. Is this something experienced by fellow iturbo users, or is there something abnormal with my AC module? Planning to have the latter checked when the vehicle goes for first service soon.
I think you should give it some time. You haven't done a lot of kms yet, so give it a while for the engine to bed in.

What I've observed is - at least as per the MID - keeping it between 1000 and 2500 rpm helps keep the kmpl between 15 and 17. This was in city mode. In Sport mode, it reduces by quite a bit (but you're also egged on to drive more aggressively). City mode has ample and more torque to even do runs on the ring road and some highway runs.
SavoyWalrus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st January 2022, 13:50   #290
Senior - BHPian

Tata Motors to introduce the automatic variant of the Altroz soon.

Quote:
Shailesh Chandra, MD, Tata Motors Passenger Vehicles Ltd., and Tata Passenger Electric Mobility Ltd., said, “From a product perspective, there are certain options that are missing from our portfolio. The Altroz hatchback doesn't have an automatic transmission, so we have to fill this open gap.”
Quote:
Tata Altroz automatic is expected to use a 7-speed DCT unit
Source

Last edited by Venkatesh : 21st January 2022 at 13:58.
Old 22nd January 2022, 20:43   #291
BHPian

Wanted to buy a tyre inflator for my Altroz iturbo and went through this amazing thread https://https://www.team-bhp.com/for...foot-pump.html
Any thoughts if I buy a new one from Amazon or just use one that comes with Tyre puncture mobility kit provided by Tata? The thread mentions it's a very slow process to fill air with the OEM one.

There's also a mention of mismatch between the wattage required by the inflator (e.g. 150W, Bergman Typhoon digital) and the same that's safely permissible on 12V socket (especially with Maruti Suzuki vehicles-120W) with some senior members warning blowing up of the fuse.
Are Altroz 12V sockets compatible with an inflator with 150W wattage? Couldn't find this information in user manual of the car.

Also, any suggestions for a good brand/model? An inflator that offers AC/DC power option would be interesting. Don't think Mi inflator(although appears very portable) would help in emergency- as in with a flat tyre.
Old 25th January 2022, 12:06   #292
BHPian

Powerdrift pitted the iTurbo against the i20 Turbo and surprisingly beat it the second time around. And that too with an impressive time of 11.8 to 100kmph, on a damp track. It gets off the line much quicker than the i20, but the Hyundai eventually catches up.

SavoyWalrus is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 25th January 2022, 14:39   #293
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SavoyWalrus View Post
Powerdrift pitted the iTurbo against the i20 Turbo and surprisingly beat it the second time around. And that too with an impressive time of 11.8 to 100kmph, on a damp track. It gets off the line much quicker than the i20, but the Hyundai eventually catches up.

https://www.Youtube.com/watch?v=ZyQH...ist=WL&index=6
And not to forget the fact that Altroz has 10 bhp less power and 32 Nm of less torque!

Moreover it costs significantly less and is GNCAP 5 star rated as well.
Altroz i turbo is a great buy
yesyeswe is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th January 2022, 14:53   #294
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by yesyeswe View Post
And not to forget the fact that Altroz has 10 bhp less power and 32 Nm of less torque!

Moreover it costs significantly less and is GNCAP 5 star rated as well.
Altroz i turbo is a great buy
I think a remap to get a little more low-end torque and clearing one or two weak spots during acceleration would make it perfect. And maybe a different end can to make it sound a little more aggressive
Old 5th February 2022, 13:51   #295
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by yesyeswe View Post
In my short experience with my cousin's Altroz turbo what I had noticed was city mode was useless in city conditions, the car really feels slow and laggy. I always used the sports mode in city conditions, don't worry, it won't hurt the engine, keeps the revvs low and be gentle with the throttle, that's all.
This advice was a godsend! After having completed the running-in period of the car, am driving the car exclusively in sports mode since last couple of days. It makes life in stop-and-go traffic so much easy! Gentle throttle taps followed by coasting is all that's required! One gets to enjoy the torque, even at low revvs- something that's sorely missed in so-called city mode(Started imagining what it would feel like in Altroz EV)Surprisingly, the fuel efficiency doesn't seem to have suffered a lot(at least by ICE/connectnext figures- shows a difference of at the most 0.5-1kmpl at the most between city and Sport modes, driven at <2K RPMs)- would run it for a week or so and then would calculate the realistic figures.
Really enjoying the spurt in performance! It should be the default mode while starting the car!The so-called city mode is best reserved for the highways.

Last edited by Nikhil Beke : 5th February 2022 at 13:58.
Nikhil Beke is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th February 2022, 18:12   #296
Distinguished - BHPian

Speculated to be the Altroz DCT, spied again!

Quote:
Expected fuel mileage is around 16-17kmpl
Tata Altroz 1.2L Turbo-Petrol Review-1.jpg

Tata Altroz 1.2L Turbo-Petrol Review-2.jpg

Link
volkman10 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th February 2022, 13:35   #297
BHPian

Did a 850km trip from Bangalore to Pondicherry and back over the weekend. The car performed well, which included me and two passengers and luggage. On the highway, though, I had to keep it in Sports mode at all times. City mode just doesn't work well for overtaking and keeping pace at highway speeds.

Pushed the car a bit (it's run just 1200 km), body roll was a bit evident when cornering at high speeds; I think it desperately needs those Cobra lowering springs. It returned a decent 15kmpl even after some hard driving.

One issue (or a non-issue, maybe?) are some squeaks that come from the driver-side suspension. It goes away after 20-25 minutes of driving. Will ask the service advisor about it when it goes for its first service this week.

Last edited by libranof1987 : 16th February 2022 at 16:24. Reason: Removed reference to illegal speeds
Old 22nd February 2022, 10:17   #298
Senior - BHPian

Tata Altroz now comes with a new colour option called Opel Blue, spied at dealership.

Tata Altroz 1.2L Turbo-Petrol Review-20220222_101650.jpg

Tata Altroz 1.2L Turbo-Petrol Review-20220222_101653.jpg

Walkaround

Source

Last edited by Venkatesh : 22nd February 2022 at 10:22.
Venkatesh is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th February 2022, 11:02   #299
Senior - BHPian

Tata Motors teases Altroz Automatic, launch soon.

Tata Altroz 1.2L Turbo-Petrol Review-smartselect_20220228110130_twitter.jpg

Last edited by Venkatesh : 28th February 2022 at 11:07.
Venkatesh is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 28th February 2022, 11:08   #300
BHPian

On one hand, India’s best selling carmaker switches from a CVT to AMT and here’s Tata who is launching a proper Autobox/DCT for Altroz. Kudos to them!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks