Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 7th January 2023, 18:03   #376
BHPian

Re: Tata Altroz 1.2L Turbo-Petrol Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by shancz View Post
Will wait for the release to see if some magic has happened under the hood.
As an owner of Nexon petrol turbo, I find it quite sporty and fun in sports mode. In fact, I outdragged one XUV 300 once.

Also the fact that Altroz i-turbo is almost 200+ kgs lighter than Nexon, would make it quite a cracker me thinks in the same tune 120ps/170NM and 6MT.

Last edited by aah78 : 11th January 2023 at 19:24. Reason: Quote trimmed.
FireBlade is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th January 2023, 23:22   #377
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venkatesh View Post
Tata Altroz Sport variant to debut at Auto Expo 2023.
That sounds amazing. I feel this configuration is what the Altroz iTurbo should have been released with in the first place. I own the 2021 Model and the Tiago gearbox + clutch setup just does not cut it. But apart from that, the Nexon engine also has different power characteristics as in the torque does not continue as high in the rpm range as the Altroz (even though the turbo is the same). It'll be interesting to see how Tata plays it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SavoyWalrus View Post
The iTurbo has completed a year and exactly 10,000 kilometres since I bought it in December 2021. The car has served me well and I haven't encountered any issues thus far.
That sounds amazing! Thanks for sharing your story. Definitely on the same path. Here are a few things I have done yet.
  1. Conical Air Filter from BMC (mainly for the sound)
  2. End can upgrade, from a local retailer that gives it a bassier note
  3. Switched to Conti UC6 205/55/R16 on stock rims
Also have scheduled a remap around mid Feb, so looking forward to that.

My major grimes about the current setup is
  1. The clunky gearbox
  2. Cheap feeling clutch
  3. Random jerks from the EPS
The gear shifts don’t feel as refined, even though the odo reading is about 17k now. It feels very clunky. I cannot find a better way of explaining it. By no means is it not usable, it is fun.. But could have been much better was it the TA6300 from the Nexon .

The clutch feels unable to handle the torque of the turbocharged engine. straight from the Tiago, it slips when pushing gradients in 4th and just makes the shifts hell of a lot slower. I am exploring options about maybe upgrading to one that of the Nexon maybe.

Not sure if it is just relate to my car but the auto-center on the EPS feels a bit jerky from time to time. When the EPS re-centers after turns and i am very slightly resting my hand on the steering.. It feels as if it's turning is small jerks and feels very unpolished.

Looking forward to what other BHPians say about this.

Note from Support: Please quote only relevant sections of posts. Use MULTI-QUOTE/QUOTE+ when replying to multiple posts. Thanks!

Last edited by aah78 : 11th January 2023 at 19:26. Reason: Quotes trimmed, posts merged.
Old 11th January 2023, 09:14   #378
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CannedShroud View Post
  1. The clunky gearbox
  2. Cheap feeling clutch
  3. Random jerks from the EPS
I own a Turbo-petrol Zest Revotron (ODO = 66,000km, almost 7 years old).
I believe the gearbox in your i-turbo Altroz is the same as the one in my Zest (TA65). I'm assuming this on the basis that max torque in both cars is 140Nm (read somewhere that this is the max limit for this TA65 gearbox). If my assumption is right -
(1) Agree with your experience with the clunky gearbox. This is exactly how I feel about mine. Although, on the brighter side, it has remained the same over the 66000 kms I have driven. My suggestion: Get used to it

(2) Consider the torque limitation of this TA65 gearbox, before getting down to a remap.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by aah78 : 11th January 2023 at 19:27. Reason: Quote trimmed.
srvm is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th January 2023, 09:45   #379
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srvm View Post
Hope this helps.
Thanks for the input, good to hear about the life of the gearbox. Yes you are right.. It is the old TA65 box shared in all the JTP, Tiago, Tigor, Zest etc. I've actually inquired a lot about the limits of the TA65. The info I have received is kinda all over the place, but the tuner I am consulting currently says that it is not something to be worried about as of now (going for a Stage 1+ remap). Will keep you posted on how it turns out. Hopefully we can switch out for the Nexon or Altroz-Sport clutch once that drops. That would help immensely.

Heck, the Altroz-Sport release proves that there is clearance for the TA6300 from the Nexon and can be swapped down the road.

But that is an expensive affair.

Last edited by aah78 : 11th January 2023 at 19:28. Reason: Quote trimmed. Please quote relevant portions of posts only. Thanks!
CannedShroud is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th January 2023, 10:59   #380
Distinguished - BHPian

Just learnt that Altroz diesel and Altroz petrol get different gearboxes.

TA5260 has a torque limitation of 200 Nm IIRC. So it's the same pathetic case in diesel as well as altroz, that they can't be remapped. It's already running stock in full torque limit.
PrasannaDhana is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 12th January 2023, 10:58   #381
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srvm View Post
[/list]I own a Turbo-petrol Zest Revotron (ODO = 66,000km, almost 7 years old).
I believe the gearbox in your i-turbo Altroz is the same as the one in my Zest (TA65). I'm assuming this on the basis that max torque in both cars is 140Nm (read somewhere that this is the max limit for this TA65 gearbox). If my assumption is right -
(1) Agree with your experience with the clunky gearbox. This is exactly how I feel about mine. Although, on the brighter side, it has remained the same over the 66000 kms I have driven. My suggestion: Get used to it

(2) Consider the torque limitation of this TA65 gearbox, before getting down to a remap.

Hope this helps.
The torque limit for the TA65 is 150nm, if I remember right. The JTPs came with that tune.

Quote:
Thanks for the input, good to hear about the life of the gearbox. Yes you are right.. It is the old TA65 box shared in all the JTP, Tiago, Tigor, Zest etc. I've actually inquired a lot about the limits of the TA65. The info I have received is kinda all over the place, but the tuner I am consulting currently says that it is not something to be worried about as of now (going for a Stage 1+ remap). Will keep you posted on how it turns out. Hopefully we can switch out for the Nexon or Altroz-Sport clutch once that drops. That would help immensely.
I would take the opinion of some of these tuners with a pinch of salt. One tuner (shall not be named) claimed that he's remapped iTurbos which report 190nm of torque and that the cars are running fine. Another one was more realistic and said that 10-15% is a safe bet. I think the latter would make quite a big difference to the car's acceleration, especially in slow speeds.
SavoyWalrus is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 12th January 2023, 11:09   #382
BHPian

Quote:
The torque limit for the TA65 is 150nm, if I remember right. The JTPs came with that tune.

I would take the opinion of some of these tuners with a pinch of salt. One tuner (shall not be named) claimed that he's remapped iTurbos which report 190nm of torque and that the cars are running fine. Another one was more realistic and said that 10-15% is a safe bet. I think the latter would make quite a big difference to the car's acceleration, especially in slow speeds.
Oh, that sounds scary. To be brutally honest the block and the hardware components are capable of that output, probably with a decat exhaust though. Apart from that.. from my knowledge, the ECU has some built in cut-off values that are a difficult to reverse engineer and fix ( basically the Tata detune ).
For the same reason, Nexons can be remapped to about 130bhp with 230nm while, we are struggling with even 170-180nm torque.

Tuners that claim power and torque figures without dyno runs are a big red flag. As every engine is different, and so is the ECU firmware. The map from one ECU will not flash on another even if the cars were built lets say on the same month and year of production. ( mainly the reason why we can't just flash the Nexon tune and get that result ).

Thanks for sharing your concerns about the remap. Definitely thats something i will keep in mind from here on onward. I might have to postpone the remap due to some engine issues that have surfaced recently (thankfully I can still avail the warranty).

Apart from that the JTPs of the world had a different turbo than the one in the BS6 revision of the engines. So that might have an effect on the results.
Old 13th January 2023, 23:39   #383
BHPian

Just got back from the Tata Service Center. My warranty is ending at the end of Jan and they still haven’t been able to figure out a issue that was raised since week 1 of delivery. I am posting here so to know if anyone else has faced a similar issue or can help shed some light. Any help or inputs will be appreciated. Thanks a lot. Here we go...

Context: I own a Tata Altroz iTurbo XZ+. I have taken delivery of the car 1 Year ago ( on Jan 24th 2022 ). Everything was great. The delivery process was amazing, and the team and dealer were very helpful. I was completely in love with the car (still am), coming from a 1.3 JTD Diesel ( 2008 Swift Dzire ) the rev range from the 1.2 petrol engine brought a smile to my face even though I did not push it hard due to engine break in period.

Fast forward to a week into ownership of the car, I was heading out for a nice night drive over a straight with a slight uphill gradient, allowing the engine to stretch it's wings a little in 3rd gear.

The Issue: About halfway into the climb, the engine completely loses power and enters LIMP ME HOME mode. It switched back to city mode, limited revs to around 2k and had check engine light on. I calmly pulled over and shut it off. Waited a few seconds and restarted the car. It came back on just fine but had the Engine Check light on.

The DTC readings: The next day tata sends a rescue unit to test the car and check for any DTC errors. The system read error P016a (torque-power sensor reading out of range). The technician said the error was memorised by the ECU and was not a straight out failure of component. He then proceeded to test drive the car at various speeds/RPMs in both modes. Every checks out fine. We move on. Now over the the time of owning the car, the same issue has happened to me quite a few number of times. I am closing in onto my warranty end and I need this sorted out before I have to pay for the fixes.

What I know/suspect: Engine torque power estimate calculations happen at the ECU level with readings from the MAF sensor with correspondence to the Accelerator pedal positioning. I had not done any changes to the Intake system until recently where I opted in for a free flow conical air filter instead of the stock box. The issue also seems to occur usually when the car has a very small mix of fuel (91 and 95 RON) from the same pump.

Because I cannot accurately recreate this issue, it is very hard to present it to Tata, on my recent trip they have cleaned my spark plugs due to some misfire the system caught and also blatantly blamed my air intake setup. To which I have gotten to sparks cleaned and re-gapped under them and had them switch back to the stock intake for diagnosis sake.

But as 24th Jan is approaching, time is running slim at my end and they cannot seem to be able to find anything wrong with the car.

I also had planned a remap and some other changes which are canned for now. Please do shed some light on this, I would be glad to hear any insights or any inputs from fellow BHPians.

Thanks
Old 14th January 2023, 03:51   #384
BHPian

Quote:
Context: I own a Tata Altroz iTurbo XZ+. I have taken delivery of the car 1 Year ago ( on Jan 24th 2022 ).

But as 24th Jan is approaching, time is running slim at my end and they cannot seem to be able to find anything wrong with the car.
The Altroz comes with a standard warranty of 2 Years or 75000 KM. Unless you are past the 75K mark, I think your concern regarding warranty is not valid. Your standard warranty should end in January 2024.
red_nemesis is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th January 2023, 11:31   #385
BHPian

Quote:

I also had planned a remap and some other changes which are canned for now. Please do shed some light on this, I would be glad to hear any insights or any inputs from fellow BHPians.

Thanks
If the dealer is not providing a solution, raise it up with Tata directly. Although the dealers are lax compared to other manufacturers, Tata seem to respond swiftly to issues and the dealers then take your complaint more seriously. I did that for my key which accelerated the response.
Old 14th January 2023, 20:41   #386
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by red_nemesis View Post
The Altroz comes with a standard warranty of 2 Years or 75000 KM. Unless you are past the 75K mark, I think your concern regarding warranty is not valid. Your standard warranty should end in January 2024.
Thanks for your inputs. That is a relief to hear, dumbfounded that i didn't know of that yet. Thanks a lot

Quote:
If the dealer is not providing a solution, raise it up with Tata directly. Although the dealers are lax compared to other manufacturers, Tata seem to respond swiftly to issues and the dealers then take your complaint more seriously. I did that for my key which accelerated the response.
Hey, thanks for your inputs, the dealer has said that if they can't figure it out, they'll elevate it to Tata motors, apart from that should I contact tata in parallel? What would be the means of contacting them that are effective? (Twitter? HelpDesk? Mail?) Please if you can, let in on your experience with them over contact.

Thanks a lot for all your inputs
Old 15th January 2023, 10:04   #387
BHPian

Quote:
Hey, thanks for your inputs, the dealer has said that if they can't figure it out, they'll elevate it to Tata motors, apart from that should I contact tata in parallel? What would be the means of contacting them that are effective? (Twitter? HelpDesk? Mail?) Please if you can, let in on your experience with them over contact.

Thanks a lot for all your inputs
I think you can reach out through email and Twitter. Put a lot of pressure on them from all quarters.
Old 22nd January 2023, 23:21   #388
BHPian

Quote:
I think you can reach out through email and Twitter. Put a lot of pressure on them from all quarters.
Since the last time they have seen the car (they swapped back to the stock air intake system) there has been no issue. They also mentioned that they cleaned the throttle body, so that might have been the issue. I don’t know what to think of this. I know for a fact that the issue did happen before even with the stock system (week 1 of ownership).

On the flip side I also understand why my conical system might have a effect on this. With the strict limits new cars have on their MAF and MAP sensor readings, there might have been a loss of air pressure in the intake manifold.

But again, I have been having this issue since week 1.
CannedShroud is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th February 2023, 20:47   #389

Quote:
The Issue: About halfway into the climb, the engine completely loses power and enters LIMP ME HOME mode. It switched back to city mode, limited revs to around 2k and had check engine light on. I calmly pulled over and shut it off. Waited a few seconds and restarted the car. It came back on just fine but had the Engine Check light on.
I have the exact same car and have faced the described issue a couple of times myself. When I reported the same to dealership, they didn't really take it seriously (so did I, to be honest ) and checked for any errors in ECU which were not found. After having observed this same behavior (engine goes into city mode and just doesn't pickup until we restart the car) a couple of times, I have thankfully not observed the same ever again (just completed two years of ownership).

Please keep us posted if your dealer gets to root of this.
gourav88 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th February 2023, 13:11   #390
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gourav88 View Post
I have the exact same car and have faced the described issue a couple of times myself. When I reported the same to dealership, they didn't really take it seriously (so did I, to be honest ) and checked for any errors in ECU which were not found. After having observed this same behavior (engine goes into city mode and just doesn't pickup until we restart the car) a couple of times, I have thankfully not observed the same ever again (just completed two years of ownership).

Please keep us posted if your dealer gets to root of this.
Well, not really sure what's going on. But.. back in the stock intake system and it seems to have gone away for now. Will switch back to BMC and report eventually.

Just curious.. have you ever had the battery drain out on you? This is another pattern I've seen with cars having the same issue.

I've spoken to a few other fellow owners facing this random issue. Here's all I know, SCs don't know what it is and so they have escalated the issue to the Tata Team. But they don't exactly know what's causing this as well.

My personal opinion is that it's something to do with one of the 2.

1) MAP/MAF sensor
2) Throttle body

From what I know, the fault code is P061-A Internal Control Module Torque-Performance, signal bias level out of range / zero adjustment error. This calculation is basically the amount of air that's going into the engine (MAP/MAF reading) compared to the Accelerator Pedal Position.

Last time I asked them to clean the Throttle body when they switched to the stock intake system. That might be what fixed it for me.

Hope this gets sorted.. I have a remap due 18th Feb, after that I'll run the stock intake for some time to test the remap itself. Then I'll switch back to BMC and let you know. But I don't think it'll matter then anyway because the tuner might probably change the limits of the sensor readings.

Correct me if I'm wrong though.

Please let me know if you have any advancements as well.
Thanks and Cheers

Most Viewed