Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th February 2023, 18:29   #391

Re: Tata Altroz 1.2L Turbo-Petrol Review

Oh well, just when I was thinking I was the only one facing this problem. Love this forum haha.

Anyways, I have the same vehicle in the dark shade. Faced the exact same issue and I have noticed that the error only occurs when you are driving in sport mode. I have everything in stock and this still happened.

Went to the service centre and complained when faced this for the first time, and they checked and said it's a glitch with the oxygen sensor.

The very next day faced the same issue again but the warning light went away by itself after a while. So used the car solely in city mode and never faced this issue till now.

I mentioned these episodes to the service centre last month when I had the first oil change service and they actually took it seriously and kept the car for a day. But found no fault codes.

Well I'll be damned!! I only occasionally use the sport mode now and that too only when I take the car out which is kind of rare nowadays owing to the damned traffic and two wheelers .
RaceCyborg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th February 2023, 07:33   #392
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaceCyborg View Post
Oh well, just when I was thinking I was the only one facing this problem. Love this forum haha.

Anyways, I have the same vehicle in the dark shade. Faced the exact same issue and I have noticed that the error only occurs when you are driving in sport mode. I have everything in stock and this still happened.

Went to the service centre and complained when faced this for the first time, and they checked and said it's a glitch with the oxygen sensor.

The very next day faced the same issue again but the warning light went away by itself after a while. So used the car solely in city mode and never faced this issue till now.

I mentioned these episodes to the service centre last month when I had the first oil change service and they actually took it seriously and kept the car for a day. But found no fault codes.

Well I'll be damned!! I only occasionally use the sport mode now and that too only when I take the car out which is kind of rare nowadays owing to the damned traffic and two wheelers .
Sounds about right! Please keep us posted here about the updates if any. Thanks a lot
CannedShroud is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th February 2023, 08:01   #393
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CannedShroud View Post
Thanks for your inputs. That is a relief to hear, dumbfounded that i didn't know of that yet. Thanks a lot
Besides thee standard 2-yr warranty, there's also an extended warranty of 1-2 yrs (don't know which is available now). I suggest you apply for that, as quickly as possible.
discoverwild is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st March 2023, 17:07   #394
BHPian

Hi, update on the situation. It has been more than a month now since I have last faced the issue. I have switched back to my free-flow air intake by BMC for around 2 weeks now and have not faced any issues.

Context: Tata had made me go back to the stock air intake because they thought it was the one causing trouble.

2 weeks with the stock intake: constantly switching between city and sport NO ISSUES!
2 weeks with the BMC intake: constantly switching between city and sport NO ISSUES!

Takeaway: Not sure what fixed the issue but I am happy regardless, please try getting your throttle body and MAF sensor cleaned if you are facing the given issue.

Also, I have strictly filled 95 Octane fuel for the past month. That might also be a player in the results, as in my experience.. The car used to freak out and give these issues when I used to fill 91 octane (at a specific pump) after a 95 octane run. So might be something to do with fuel?

Hoping to gain some clarity on these issues.. Hopefully experts here can share their 2 cents

Thanks and Cheers
CannedShroud is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st March 2023, 17:52   #395
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Also, I have strictly filled 95 Octane fuel for the past month. That might also be a player in the results, as in my experience.. The car used to freak out and give these issues when I used to fill 91 octane (at a specific pump) after a 95 octane run. So might be something to do with fuel?
Ideally this shouldn't happen. The engine should be compatible with the primarily available fuel in the country. And of course it is.

Remember - countless number of Nexon Petrols are running with the 1.2 Turbo petrol. While with a different tune and possibly with minor differences - fundamentally its the same engine, and its safe to assume that most of the owners fill up regular 91O petrol at just any average fuel bunk accessible to them.
If fuel was the culprit - higher probability is that the place from which you had filled up previously, had sub-par quality fuel.

Last edited by Reinhard : 1st March 2023 at 17:53.
Old 2nd March 2023, 07:49   #396
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard View Post
Ideally this shouldn't happen. The engine should be compatible with the primarily available fuel in the country. And of course it is.

Remember - countless number of Nexon Petrols are running with the 1.2 Turbo petrol. While with a different tune and possibly with minor differences - fundamentally its the same engine, and its safe to assume that most of the owners fill up regular 91O petrol at just any average fuel bunk accessible to them.
If fuel was the culprit - higher probability is that the place from which you had filled up previously, had sub-par quality fuel.
Yes I've had a bad experience only when I've filled from there. But the funny part is it's usually just after a full tank of 95.

Maybe I just coincidently filled only at that pump after every 95 run. That could be a thing.

Thanks for you insists!
Old 25th May 2023, 08:36   #397
BHPian

Is Tata launching a Turbo automatic anytime in the near future? I am not in the market for a car but if at all a turbo automatic shows up then it will be the car for me.

Also, what happened to the altroz racer? When will 6 airbags, sunroof etc make it to the regular altroz?
Old 20th December 2023, 14:43   #398

Can someone please point me towards the soft copy version of Altroz I-turbo 2021 owner's manual ? Thanks in advance.
Old 10th January 2024, 13:21   #399

My Tata Altroz Dark XZ+Turbo 18k 2 year update,

My Tata Altroz Dark XZ+Turbo 18k 2 year update,

Greetings Bhpians,

I'm thrilled to share my two-year journey with my cherished Tata Altroz Turbo Edition, which has now clocked an impressive 18,000 kilometers. To provide some context, I've previously owned the Elite i20 Petrol and currently also have a Nissan Magnite Turbo Manual variant. In this recount, my primary comparisons will be drawn between these two cars.

In 2021, I set out to find a new car within a budget of 10 lakhs, with a willingness to stretch it to 12 lakhs if needed. My key criteria were exceptional build quality, spacious interiors, and good performance.

The initial contenders included the Ford Ecosport TDCI. Despite its solid build and impressive engine performance, rumors of Ford's potential exit from India and the prospect of a facelift caused some uncertainty. The back seat was a bit cramped, but not a deal-breaker. With a promise of delivery within 10 days and assurances about Ford's continued presence in India, the Ecosport remained a contender.

Next on the list was the Tata Nexon 1.2 Petrol. With a 5-star safety rating, robust build, and satisfactory fit and finish, the Nexon impressed. The 1.2 turbo petrol engine delivered decent city performance, with a fun sports mode for quick overtakes. However, a waiting period of 3-4 months for the XZ Plus variant made us explore other options.

Considering the budget constraints, the Hyundai Creta was a bit beyond reach. Having already owned an Elite i20, the focus shifted to exploring other Tata offerings.

Enter the Tata Altroz. While we initially settled on the Nexon, the lengthy waiting period prompted us to check out the Altroz, particularly the Dark Edition Turbo variant. Surprisingly, the dealer had one in stock and ready for immediate delivery. After a thorough pre-delivery inspection and VIN verification, the Altroz 1.2 Turbo Dark Edition found its place in my garage.

Here's to two years of driving joy with the Altroz, a decision that aligned with my preferences and provided a seamless ownership experience.

Tata Altroz 1.2L Turbo-Petrol Review-whatsapp-image-20240109-2.10.46-pm-1.jpeg

Tata Altroz 1.2L Turbo-Petrol Review-whatsapp-image-20240109-2.10.46-pm.jpeg

Pros:

Balanced Performance: The 1.2T engine delivers commendable driveability and satisfactory performance, striking a good balance on the road.

Looks: Altroz catches the eye with its stunning exterior, complemented by a solid build that adds to its allure.

Interiors: Step inside to experience a pleasant interior adorned with quality components and ample space for a comfortable ride.

Space Management: The Altroz boasts one of the largest boots in its segment, offering a generous 345-litre storage capacity.

Mature Road Manners: Displaying maturity on the road, Altroz excels at highway speeds, ensuring a stable and composed driving experience.

Top-Tier Safety: Achieving a 5-star NCAP safety rating, the Altroz prioritizes your safety with features like dual airbags, CSC, and a rest break reminder. Solid build and construction compared to almost all competitors in this category.

Music System: Elevating the driving ambiance, the Harman 8-speaker ICE stands out as one of the best audio systems in its segment.

Feature-Rich: Packed with impressive features like auto headlamps & wipers, cruise control, leatherette seats, and an adjustable armrest, Altroz caters to the modern driver's needs.

CONS:

Awkward seating entry, thick A-pillar design.

No wireless Android Auto or Apple CarPlay.

Mediocre paint quality.

Short service intervals at 7500 km or 6 months.

Headlights, especially low beam, are just average.

Tata ASS is a hit or miss.

Engine Performance:
I went for the turbo version because I wanted a decently powered car – 107BHP and 140NM torque. It handles a heavy load well, and you can smoothly drive at low speeds. The engine is strong at 1800 to 2400 RPM. It's not as quiet as some other engines, but it's a good mix of power and efficiency. Sports mode is enough for most of the cases.

Steering, Clutch, and Gearshifts:
The steering is light and gets a bit heavier as you speed up. It gives decent feedback. The clutch is super light. Gear shifts are mostly smooth, except for 1st and Reverse gear sometimes needing a bit more effort.

Braking:
At first, I thought the brakes weren't great, but they get better with more use. In the morning, the brakes feel sharp for a bit, but it's not a big issue.

City/Highway Driving:
It's easy to drive in the city or on the highway. The car feels sturdy, and the suspension handles bad roads well. It's a bit firm at slow speeds, but you'll get used to it.

Interior and Music System:
The music system from Harman is good, with clear sound from 4 speakers and 4 tweeters. More bass would be nice. Inside, there's plenty of space for your stuff. Some things could be put together better, but it's not a big problem. When I connect the audio system via Bluetooth, there's a 2-second delay, but it gets fixed when I connect to Android Auto, and the sound quality also improves. Radio reception is poor but i don't use it so ignored it.

Fuel Efficiency:
I'm getting around 10 to 12 kmpl (tankful to tankful) in city and 15-18kmpl in highway. I drive mostly in city, about 75% of the time.

Service Experience:

I bought my car from SRT Tata in Coimbatore. At first, the general service experience was average. However, things turned nightmarish when my car got into an accident, causing significant damage to the passenger-side doors. The impact was severe, and I was advised to replace both doors and the back bumper.

Tata Altroz 1.2L Turbo-Petrol Review-whatsapp-image-20240109-2.09.13-pm.jpeg
Tata Altroz 1.2L Turbo-Petrol Review-whatsapp-image-20240109-2.09.14-pm.jpeg

We filed an insurance claim, and they ordered the necessary parts, giving us a timeline of 2-3 weeks for the repairs. Unfortunately, what was supposed to take a few weeks ended up dragging on for two months. During this time, there was a lack of communication from the service center. I had to consistently reach out for updates.

Every time I called, they provided excuses such as staff being on leave, power outages, and even running out of paint stock for my specific dark edition, which needed a separate order. This lack of transparency and constant follow-up on my end made the overall service experience quite frustrating.

When I finally went to pick up my car after the repairs, I noticed that it was covered in dust. To my surprise, they were asking for an additional 5000 rupees for both interior and exterior cleaning. The problem was on their end, as they left the car unattended for so long with the windows open, leading to the dust issue.

They did a sloppy job with the repairs. When I picked up my car, the doors were jammed, and they weren't closing or opening properly. The locks and power windows were also not working. Exhausted and lacking the strength to argue, I took my car and left, planning to take it to another service center in Coimbatore.

I immediately took the car and gave it outside to a detailing mafia store for a thorough cleaning and got it cleaned. I am happy that SRT Tata was closed by Tata. They were lethargic and incompetent.

After reading Google reviews, I decided to give my car to SGA Tata for repairs. I explicitly mentioned all the problems, but to my dismay, they returned my car without fixing any of the issues. The service manager called for feedback, and I expressed my frustration about the unresolved problems.

He requested me to send the car back, promising personal attention. After some days, I sent the vehicle again, and this time they properly addressed and fixed all the issues before returning the car.

Driving Experience and Visibility:
The car is comfortable to drive, seats are also height adjustable for a better view. It's not too soft or too firm, but could use better side support. Visibility is mostly good, but the front pillar might block your view a bit. You'll get used to it quickly, though.

I've taken my car on many trips to places like Ooty, Munnar, Kodaikanal, Rameshwaram, Madurai, Allepy, and Kumarakom, and it has never let me down on the road. All the drives were comfortable. The only issue I faced was occasional screen jittering, but other than that, no problems.

Finally some images of my Black Beast:
Tata Altroz 1.2L Turbo-Petrol Review-whatsapp-image-20240110-1.14.43-pm-1.jpeg[ATTACH=WhatsApp Image 20240110 at 1.14.43 PM.jpeg]Tata Altroz 1.2L Turbo-Petrol Review-whatsapp-image-20240110-1.14.44-pm-1.jpeg[/ATTACH]Tata Altroz 1.2L Turbo-Petrol Review-whatsapp-image-20240110-1.14.44-pm.jpeg
Attached Thumbnails
Tata Altroz 1.2L Turbo-Petrol Review-whatsapp-image-20240110-1.14.43-pm.jpeg  

Max5414 is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 21st February 2024, 12:00   #400

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireBlade View Post
As an owner of Nexon petrol turbo, I find it quite sporty and fun in sports mode. In fact, I outdragged one XUV 300 once.

Also the fact that Altroz i-turbo is almost 200+ kgs lighter than Nexon, would make it quite a cracker me thinks in the same tune 120ps/170NM and 6MT.
The XUV owner may be rookie and it is the fastest CSUV and with the new TGDi addition it is a rocket. I too own a Nexon petrol 2021 running on NGK Iridiums, Mobil Fully Synthetic Oil, and BMC filter, it fails to beat XUVs in any scenarios.
the_wanderer1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th February 2024, 01:10   #401

Quote:
Sounds about right! Please keep us posted here about the updates if any. Thanks a lot
So I faced this same issue 6 months into the purchase and had this checked in the routine service at Service Center (Arya Tata, Gurgaon). They said that this issue has to do with a fault in the Accelerator position sensor which can misread the pedal position. They replaced the sensor and I have not faced this issue since then - its been 2.5 years now.

Hope this helps

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks