Search this Thread
Old 29th December 2021, 17:13   #256
Senior - BHPian

Re: Tata Altroz 1.2L Turbo-Petrol Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenAvi View Post
Altroz AT has entered it's final phase.

Expect a launch in the next 3-4 months.
The Altroz which was spotted with covered gear lever could be Automatic?

Tata Altroz 1.2L Turbo-Petrol Review-fb_img_1640777975994.jpg

Camouflaged Altroz spotted testing, Automatic?

Tata Altroz 1.2L Turbo-Petrol Review-fb_img_1640777732852.jpg

Tata Altroz 1.2L Turbo-Petrol Review-fb_img_1640777735798.jpg

Source : PowerDrift
Venkatesh is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 29th December 2021, 19:14   #257
BHPian

Quote:
It is always advisable allow cars with Turbocharged engines to idle for anywhere between 30 seconds to a minute during cold starts and also before turning the ignition off after a drive. It helps prevent premature turbo failures.
That was my understanding as well- had indeed gone through the forum discussions here and elsewhere before booking my iturbo Altroz. But contrary to this conventional wisdom, ISS seems to turn off the engine at every signal/halt as soon as the vehicle is brought to neutral gear. Even as the feature comes from OEM itself, Is that healthy for the turbo in the long run? Or should we turn this particular feature off? iTurbo manual, incidentally, does not explicitly advise anything on this issue.
Old 29th December 2021, 20:20   #258
BANNED

Well Tata, we don't want a DCT due to it being unreliable and will heat up while the vehicle is in traffic, we don't want a jerky AMT because Altroz is a premium hatch, all we want is a CVT due to it being smooth, reliable and easy to maintain without significant drop in mileage.
Old 30th December 2021, 21:41   #259
BHPian

Took delivery of my Altroz iTurbo in white this week. The delivery process was smooth and there have been no issues so far.

The car is a breeze to drive in the city and has ample torque. Sport mode is fun, even though it may not rumble your stomach when you stomp on the loud pedal. Special mention to the clutch which is supremely light, while the pull away assist makes bumper-to-bumper traffic a breeze.

Tata Altroz 1.2L Turbo-Petrol Review-altroz-1.jpg

The engine noise does make its way into the cabin, but I don't mind it at all. It's not noticeable when there's music playing. One grouse I have is that the idle start-stop system doesn't seem to enable itself at all. Perhaps it was because I have used the AC throughout my short drives so far.

Swapped the MRF Ecotreads for Michelin Primacy 4ST. I haven't yet noticed a notable change, but I think it may be more evident on the highway. More on that in the future.

Tata Altroz 1.2L Turbo-Petrol Review-altroz-2.jpg

The HSRP plates have arrived and I should get them on the car in a day or two.

One thing that I have noticed is that the car collects a lot - I mean a LOT - of dust. I wonder if ceramic coating could perhaps help keep the dust away. Will make some inquiries to see if it falls in my budget. A noob question - how do I enable the rear washer? I can only seem to use the wiper.

So far, I'm a happy camper. The fuel average on the MID showed 14kmpl in peak Bangalore traffic, which is pretty decent, I must say. More pictures and updates to follow soon.

Last edited by SavoyWalrus : 30th December 2021 at 21:42.
SavoyWalrus is offline   (21) Thanks
Old 31st December 2021, 06:38   #260
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SavoyWalrus View Post
One grouse I have is that the idle start-stop system doesn't seem to enable itself at all. Perhaps it was because I have used the AC throughout my short drives so far.

Swapped the MRF Ecotreads for Michelin Primacy 4ST. I haven't yet noticed a notable change, but I think it may be more evident on the highway. More on that in the future.

A noob question - how do I enable the rear washer? I can only seem to use the wiper.
Congrats

ISS works only when the car is in neutral. Did it not work even when you were idling in neutral? Infact I would be happy if ISS isn't there at all. My celerio has it and it is weird to see it work.

The engine note being audible might be due to silent Michelins. I felt it even in my refined ciaz after replacing the continentals to Michelins. The tyre noise totally went down and all I could hear was the engine.

Don't waste money on ceramic coating. The dust will settle no matter what you do. We will have to make peace with that

To enable rear wash, turn the wiper stalk's end portion opposite direction to what you do to enable rear wipe. IIRC it is clockwise for wash and anticlockwise for wipe.

And dont trust the MID. Only tank to tank method helps.

Wishing you a happy ownership on one sexy car!!
PrasannaDhana is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 31st December 2021, 08:24   #261
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrasannaDhana View Post
Congrats

ISS works only when the car is in neutral. Did it not work even when you were idling in neutral? Infact I would be happy if ISS isn't there at all. My celerio has it and it is weird to see it work.
Thanks! No, it didn't work even when it was in neutral and at a traffic signal. I suspect the AC was taking a lot of the load hence it didn't trigger the idle start-stop. Yeah, I don't know if it's much of a help, especially if it comes on 30-40 seconds after stop time.

Quote:

The engine note being audible might be due to silent Michelins. I felt it even in my refined ciaz after replacing the continentals to Michelins. The tyre noise totally went down and all I could hear was the engine.
Perhaps! I might get some sound dampening if the noise becomes unbearable. So far, it's not much of an intrusion.

Quote:
And dont trust the MID. Only tank to tank method helps.
Yeah, the fuel figures on the MID acted very weirdly. Was showing 8 KMPL at one point.

Last edited by SavoyWalrus : 31st December 2021 at 08:26.
SavoyWalrus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st December 2021, 12:22   #262
BHPian

Quote:
Yeah, the fuel figures on the MID acted very weirdly. Was showing 8 KMPL at one point.
Heartiest congratulations for the new car!
In the same boat as I took delivery of Altroz iturbo about 10 days back and still figuring out the way various features work.
ISS is working flawlessly for me- I was in fact wondering if it's safe to use in city traffic on a turbo engine. Check if the feature has been turned on for you- the toggle switch sis below ISS button.
If you're keeping an eye over fuel efficiency using connectnext app on ICE screen, then 8kmpl is the default figure it starts with. It changes as you're driving- the figures start changing when you've driven 3-odd kms. The highest I got was 18kmpl on the morning open roads- the more common figure is 15-ish kmpl when driven in city traffic, with a light foot and gears changes at 1500-1700RPM.(Boring drive- did it as an experiment to play with the on screen figures).Agree though tank-to-tank would be more reliable and have installed Fuelio on my phone for same.

Last edited by Nikhil Beke : 31st December 2021 at 12:23.
Nikhil Beke is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st December 2021, 14:17   #263
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikhil Beke View Post
Heartiest congratulations for the new car!
In the same boat as I took delivery of Altroz iturbo about 10 days back and still figuring out the way various features work.
ISS is working flawlessly for me- I was in fact wondering if it's safe to use in city traffic on a turbo engine. Check if the feature has been turned on for you- the toggle switch sis below ISS button.
Congrats to you, too! Bring on the pictures!

I have kept ISS enabled so far. It hasn't gone off even once. Was your AC or radiator on when the engine shut?

Quote:
If you're keeping an eye over fuel efficiency using connectnext app on ICE screen, then 8kmpl is the default figure it starts with. It changes as you're driving- the figures start changing when you've driven 3-odd kms. The highest I got was 18kmpl on the morning open roads- the more common figure is 15-ish kmpl when driven in city traffic, with a light foot and gears changes at 1500-1700RPM.(Boring drive- did it as an experiment to play with the on screen figures).Agree though tank-to-tank would be more reliable and have installed Fuelio on my phone for same.
Oh, thanks for that. Yeah, it started off at 8kmpl. Will do more driving in the coming week when I'll learn more about its economy. I've been using a light foot too, apart from a few times when I've given it the beans. Tried the Sport mode twice and there is a noticeable difference in acceleration.
Old 31st December 2021, 16:14   #264
BHPian

Quote:
I have kept ISS enabled so far. It hasn't gone off even once. Was your AC or radiator on when the engine shut?
Yes, have kept AC and radiator ON all the time. If the temperature rises inside the cabin, it autostarts (with a message in the instrument cluster)- as it's been designed.
Talking of ISS and connectnext, I had a curious observation. Irrespective of engine turning off with ISS, connectnext continues to gather trip stats(including FE figures) as one continuous trip- but it starts counting from zero if I turn off the engine using engine start/stop push button.
Old 31st December 2021, 16:29   #265
BHPian

Quote:
Yes, have kept AC and radiator ON all the time. If the temperature rises inside the cabin, it autostarts (with a message in the instrument cluster)- as it's been designed.
Oh, right. I maybe have to put in a few more kilometers to figure out if there's an issue with my ISS.

Quote:
Talking of ISS and connectnext, I had a curious observation. Irrespective of engine turning off with ISS, connectnext continues to gather trip stats(including FE figures) as one continuous trip- but it starts counting from zero if I turn off the engine using engine start/stop push button.
I haven't yet fully explored this, but IRA seems to be very useful. Shows ample stats and the security functions are pretty useful, too.
Old 31st December 2021, 17:13   #266
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SavoyWalrus View Post
I haven't yet fully explored this, but IRA seems to be very useful. Shows ample stats and the security functions are pretty useful, too.
Wait till it surprises you with extensive amount of useful information it throws at you when you least expect it.

Tata Altroz 1.2L Turbo-Petrol Review-screenshot_20211227125643_tata-motors-ira.jpg

It even alerts you to not idle for longer duration.
PrasannaDhana is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st December 2021, 17:42   #267
BHPian

Quote:
Wait till it surprises you with extensive amount of useful information it throws at you when you least expect it.

Attachment 2252315

It even alerts you to not idle for longer duration.
The speed limit thing is a little annoying. But the idle warning is a good one. I wonder if they'll add more features in future updates.
Old 31st December 2021, 18:08   #268
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venkatesh View Post
The Altroz which was spotted with covered gear lever could be Automatic?

Source : PowerDrift
What if Tata after so many ages of testing ends up launching an AMT?

I mean, they obviously will not do so but what if in everyone's wildest dreams they go ahead and launch an AMT?
Old 31st December 2021, 18:12   #269
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saikishor View Post
I mean, they obviously will not do so but what if in everyone's wildest dreams they go ahead and launch an AMT?
Don't underestimate Tata mate. They will mostly launch AMT in the Altroz and will be proud about it too.
PrasannaDhana is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 31st December 2021, 18:26   #270
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenAvi View Post
Birdie confirms that the testing of the Altroz AT has entered it's final phase.

Automatic will be in petrol only.
Any idea whether the automatic-gearbox versions will also be paired with ESC?
ron178 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed