Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd March 2022, 12:34   #331
BHPian

Re: Tata Altroz 1.2L Turbo-Petrol Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vedantoyota75 View Post
people who want an Altroz Petrol with automatic transmission and don’t even care what type of automatic gearbox it is Cvt, Amt or Dct, people who just want an automatic for the convenience part for daily driving that includes only Home-Office and Office-Home drives accompanied by traffic jams and all,
DCT is the wrong transmission if this is the use case they are targeting, they are widely known to not work the best in traffic conditions.
CVT or TC AT would have been the right choice. TATA product planners should definitely be given an award.
Turrrb0 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd March 2022, 13:04   #332

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turrrb0 View Post
DCT is the wrong transmission if this is the use case they are targeting, they are widely known to not work the best in traffic conditions.
CVT or TC AT would have been the right choice. TATA product planners should definitely be given an award.
Yes TATA's plan of giving a DCT in a naturally aspirated engine is not the best but
here I was taking about masses who don't even know the types of Automatic transmissions and which type of the same would be better for what purpose. Won't say anything more until something official comes for their side.

Regards,
Vedant.
Old 2nd March 2022, 14:37   #333
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vedantoyota75 View Post
Masses who don't even know the types of Automatic transmissions and which type of the same would be better for what purpose.
All the more reason to give something fool-proof and simple. Keeping in mind TATA's aftersales reputation (Dismal, experienced it first hand). A complex gearbox like a DCT should've been last on their list of probable options.

I shudder imagining a customer, having to break his head if something were to go wrong with the transmission, after just wanting something easy to drive.

But these are specualtive after all. Lets wait and see what happens after their official statement.

When manufacturers like Ford and VW ditched their problematic dual-clutch units for TC ATs, and Hyundai/KIA too being reported with the units failing and having issues in some instances, god save TATA.

cheers.

Last edited by Turrrb0 : 2nd March 2022 at 14:51.
Turrrb0 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 6th March 2022, 13:31   #334
BHPian

Is the 1.2 Revetron i-turbo engine an inference engine?
Old 7th March 2022, 20:21   #335
Senior - BHPian

I drove the Altroz Turbo today and it was extremely underwhelming. It felt nowhere near the i20 turbo, Heck, it felt worse than the punch I drove immediately after it. So bad that I asked them for another Test drive of the altroz just to confirm.

Apart from the underwhelming acceleration, power delivery was very jerky. It felt exactly like my 15 year old indica - When you Give the throttle, it jerks, when you lift off the throttle, it jerks even worse. Perhaps the TD car was old, but so will be mine after a few years, and I do not want to end up back to where I am right now. The i20 on the other hand was exhilarating. I had a smile plastered over my face, but the imt transmission was atrocious. The 4 pot engine sound was sublime too!
greenhorn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th March 2022, 20:34   #336
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
I drove the Altroz Turbo today and it was extremely underwhelming.
If you haven't, try the Sport mode- I use that almost all the time and feel that's the only mode iturbo should have on offer. The poor low end torque in city mode is what gives you underwhelming vibes.
Old 7th March 2022, 20:43   #337
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikhil Beke View Post
If you haven't, try the Sport mode- I use that almost all the time and feel that's the only mode iturbo should have on offer. The poor low end torque in city mode is what gives you underwhelming vibes.
I did turn the sport mode on - The Sales guy made me turn it on when I said it felt underpowered. I didn't feel any noticeable difference
Old 7th March 2022, 21:02   #338
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I did turn the sport mode on - The Sales guy made me turn it on when I said it felt underpowered. I didn't feel any noticeable difference
May be a case of a sticky switch

Try a different car next time so the switch is proven innocent.

Last edited by ashis89 : 7th March 2022 at 21:18.
Old 7th March 2022, 21:38   #339
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashis89 View Post
May be a case of a sticky switch
That's unlikely- there's an audible alert as well change in the driving mode instrument cluster display.
I had felt the same, transitioning from a light-weight 800cc Hyundai Eon. What's your current drive? Also, do try it on an open road, if not on a highway.
Well, there's at least a remap potential as a solace on a turbo, vis-a-vis a NA engine

Last edited by Nikhil Beke : 7th March 2022 at 21:40.
Nikhil Beke is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 8th March 2022, 20:23   #340
Senior - BHPian

Update: I td'ed an altroz turbo from another dealership and this one felt much nicer to drive. So probably some issue with the earlier one. If you want to td the altroz iturbo in Trivandrum, don't go to derik Tata. Their iturbo td car very badly needs a tune up.
greenhorn is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 8th March 2022, 23:13   #341
BHPian

Quote:
Update: I td'ed an altroz turbo from another dealership and this one felt much nicer to drive.
Good to know! As a former indica owner, how did you find Altroz diesel, if you test drove one?
As someone who was strictly looking at safe hatchbacks while choosing my latest acquisition, I did find iturbo somewhat 'underwhelming' due to its weight and relative lack of torque, although engine is still a vast improvement over NA petrol and really comes to life in sport mode, improving even the city drivability. Had Mahindra given us a hatchback with mStallion turbo from XUV300(like Ford did with Figo/Freestyle)- that would have been one hot hatch!

Last edited by Nikhil Beke : 8th March 2022 at 23:15.
Old 13th March 2022, 13:02   #342
BHPian

Hi: came across this interesting thread while reading about ECU remaps (more accurately, related threads thereof). PEDAL TUNE BOX: Customisable throttle response. https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modif...-response.html (PedalTune: Customisable throttle response)While ECU remaps is a distant dream for me as the car is well within extended warranty period for next 5yrs, this does seem like an exciting option. Has any of the Altroz owners tried this- assuming this is still available in India on BS6 models? Should give some much wanted life to the city/eco modes of Altroz.Plug-and-play feature (built in reversibility) sounds particularly lucrative

Last edited by Nikhil Beke : 13th March 2022 at 13:05.
Old 22nd March 2022, 18:02   #343
BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
The Altroz iturbo was the worst of the lot. It was beaten in driveablity by the Grand i10, Santro, it's own sibling the Punch.
Getting back on this reading your response on the Altroz DCT(A) thread.
I am a recent iturbo owner, and let me share my experience on this: I openly wondered at this 'underwhelming' engine aspect (please refer to my posts in this thread)- then discovered the Sport mode for city commutes post running-in period, and was awed by it for few days. Then the sprint feeling sort of... wore out. On few of the days, it gets a quick/lively throttle response in the sport mode (city mode is underwhelming from an enthusiast's perspective on any given day, although it does it's job in going from point A-to-B in city commutes), but on some (most?) days I have to push the accelerator really deep to build up the necessary torque, and the throttle response seems rather subdued thereafter as well. The car doesn't hide its weight! Tried having it shown to TASS guys while ISS stopped working for few days (and check engine light showed up) but according to their diagnostics there, everything seems OK. Even wondered aloud here if a device such as Pedal tune would be of any help, but it seems to have disappeared from the user community (last post in that thread in from 2019 or so). Thinking of having it shown to FNGs in Pune for a possible diagnosis- but hesitant as the vehicle is under warranty.
It's a pity that the otherwise commendable package is getting ruined by the engine/gearbox experience. Will keep you all posted about this issue, if it gets fixed.

Last edited by Nikhil Beke : 22nd March 2022 at 18:11.
Nikhil Beke is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2022, 18:25   #344
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
On few of the days, it gets a quick/lively throttle response in the sport mode (city mode is underwhelming from an enthusiast's perspective on any given day, although it does it's job in going from point A-to-B in city commutes), but on some (most?) days I have to push the accelerator really deep to build up the necessary torque, and the throttle response seems rather subdued thereafter as well.
How are the fuel efficiency figures? If that is consistent chances are your vehicle is fine as is.
Old 22nd March 2022, 20:57   #345
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Good to know! As a former indica owner, how did you find Altroz diesel, if you test drove one?
Sorry I did not look at it seriously. The local dealer did not have one for TD, and I am not looking seriously at any BS6 diesels until all these DPF issues are sorted out OR my usage shifts to more highway use again. In my current city, I will need to drive to the other side of the city to the NH bypass if I am to find a stretch of road where i can legally drive for 60kmph for 20 minutes
Quote:
Getting back on this reading your response on the Altroz DCT(A) thread.
I am a recent iturbo owner, and let me share my experience on this: I openly wondered at this 'underwhelming' engine aspect (please refer to my posts in this thread)- then discovered the Sport mode for city commutes post running-in period, and was awed by it for few days. Then the sprint feeling sort of... wore out. On few of the days, it gets a quick/lively throttle response in the sport mode (city mode is underwhelming from an enthusiast's perspective on any given day, although it does it's job in going from point A-to-B in city commutes), but on some (most?) days I have to push the accelerator really deep to build up the necessary torque, and the throttle response seems rather subdued thereafter as well. Tried having it shown to TASS guys while ISS stopped working for few days (and check engine light showed up) but according to their diagnostics there, everything seems OK.
This is sort of my worry too. The test drive car at the second dealer was better - at least the drivability issues were not there - but my deeper concern was, and your post somewhat affirms it
1. That a one year old car can develop such major issues
2. That despite this car sitting in a Tata dealership all day, they still can't get it to run right.

I used to work in software testing, and the old adage is that you can only prove the existence of issues, and not their absence.

For what it's worth - Based on my experience with my Indica's Turbo diesel engine, and info I've read from reviews of its doomed younger brother the dicor - it feels like an air/ fuel supply issue -Try talking to Nexon petrol and tiago JTP owners - They should have more experience with this engine.
greenhorn is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks