Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 7th December 2021, 17:45   #1531
Senior - BHPian

Re: 2021 Tata Safari Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffHanger View Post
Shame on Tata and shame on people who keep supporting Tata blindly. 27 Lakhs and you cant even make a plastic panel properly and fit it properly, ...
Not sure such language qualify for healthy discussion in an open forum. Without experiencing car and then writing against it, I do not think it is wise.

There are many in this forum driving Tata cars for decades but not experienced anything like that. Also, quality cannot be observed in highly abused TD cars. Once I took TD of Innova Crysta with a friend and whole of rear bench seat was shaking and loose in TD car. It does not mean all Innova Crysta is like that.

Using words like Shame on Tata and Shame on people should be used carefully.
anujmishra is offline   (20) Thanks
Old 7th December 2021, 18:02   #1532
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poitive View Post
The support might not be as blind as it may seem to some. Many knowingly sign the check for a Tata, being well aware what it offers.

Edit: Recollected my post from a decade ago. Sure there is some change in a decade, but some things and perspectives haven't changed too much.

Link: https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/sedan...ml#post2440755 (Choosing a Spacious Diesel Sedan upto 12L)

Extract:
The moral of your story is that Tata is offering you a slightly unfinished vehicle at a 20-30% lower cost, given the spacious cabin.

Does this hold good in this case? Nope, this is not a typical Tata. I don't think any of the typical Tata exists anymore.
Old 7th December 2021, 18:43   #1533
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosfactor View Post
The moral of your story is that Tata is offering you a slightly unfinished vehicle at a 20-30% lower cost, given the spacious cabin.
No morals of the story. I guess the part that the linked/quoted post is a decade old post was missed. This was to provide context, and how some things have changed, and some (might be called perception or bias to an extent) have not.

IIRC, the discussion in the linked post/thread was an interesting and healthy one, in case one is inclined to read.

Quote:
Does this hold good in this case? Nope, this is not a typical Tata. I don't think any of the typical Tata exists anymore.
True, Tata has changed a lot. Perceptions probably lesser so.

Last edited by Poitive : 7th December 2021 at 18:53. Reason: Reformatted and added the second quote/reply.
Poitive is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th December 2021, 19:00   #1534
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolling_Stock View Post
Can anyone confirm if the Wireless update is limited only to Safari or it is deployed as well for the XZ trims of Harrier ?
When I checked with the SA he mentioned that it should come to the Harrier in some time as well. But, I really doubt that. In the case of the Safari it is a feature that is there in the feature list of XZ variants. Only that the buyers until September didn't get it. So they have now made it available to those owners. In the case of the Harrier this is currently not in the feature list of any variant. May be this could added in a face-lift.

Anyways, it's best for you to check with the service centre. Also, please share the feedback with the company. They are listening. If not you, it will help prospective owners.
Jude300 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th December 2021, 15:43   #1535
Senior - BHPian

Tata Safari automatic variants pricier by up to Rs 7,000.

- XTA+ sees the largest jump at Rs 7,000.
- XMA and XZA by Rs 3,000,
- XZA+ models, including the Adventure Persona and the Gold Editions, are now dearer by Rs 2,000.

The prices for manual variants remain unchanged.

Source

Last edited by Venkatesh : 8th December 2021 at 15:47.
Venkatesh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th December 2021, 20:04   #1536

Hi. I own a Tata Safari XE, the base variant. The car sufferred a leak in the diesel pipeline along the undercarriage. It was the return pipeline. The PVC pipe had a punctured hole,probably a rat or a stone missile. A steady stream of diesel on turning the key, would immediately sprout into a gushing out flow under the car after cranking the engine. An exchange of photos with the service advisor and the replacement pipe was identified. With diesel spewing out , it was unsafe to drive. Help from a mechanic came in the way of fitting a Maruti Gypsy fuel filter between the ends of the pipe that was cut on either side of the hole. This was improvised by introducing a 10mm pneumatic connector to either end of the PVC fuel pipe. The pneumatic connector held effectively. An innovative application by the mechanic.
Attached Thumbnails
2021 Tata Safari Review-img_20211128_141339.jpg  

2021 Tata Safari Review-img_20211128_141335.jpg  

Attached Images

UPC7955 is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 8th December 2021, 20:30   #1537

The innovative patch repair performed by inserting the two ends of the PVC fuel pipe into the 10mm pneumatic connector. The ends of the connector are push fit type. On pushing the ends in, the moderate mini sized saw teeth inside the blue black PVC connector collapse and fold inwards, on releasing the ends the serrated teeth clamp the inserted pipe at each end. The moderately serrated mini teeth inside the cylindrical clamp at both its openings hold the pipe tight and snug. I am now carrying a couple of these connectors in the car. Just in case. . Hope this helps fellow enthusiasts, if ever in a similar situation.
Attached Thumbnails
2021 Tata Safari Review-img_20211205_151038.jpg  

UPC7955 is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 8th December 2021, 22:13   #1538

Mod Note : Personal attacks on fellow BHPians & rude posts are STRICTLY prohibited on Team-BHP. All members are part of the Team-BHP family, and any discriminating or derogatory comment will NOT be permitted.

Please ALWAYS be civil, polite & respectful to other members...even in debate.

We advise you to read the Forum Rules before proceeding any further.

Thanks for the support & understanding

Last edited by Sheel : 9th December 2021 at 10:51. Reason: Mod note attached.
ashishkg is offline   (4) Thanks Received Infraction
Old 9th December 2021, 09:56   #1539
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jude300 View Post
I think it is high time that we move away from the GNCAP discussion as its becoming more and more speculative and hypothetical and not adding much value. Until Tata does a test lets leave it there and consider it as not safety rated. Any discussion further on the topic will only be speculative and not factual.
That's the whole point of the discussion - there is no "until Tata does a test". They wont be testing it, because they should have already done by now. A company who brandishes crash test ratings like gallantry medals, on all their models, right from lower segment to mid segment to CSUV segment... don't want to do it with their flagship models offered in the highest segment they are in currently ? Smells wrong. That means, I as a consumer have to assume that the thing doesn't score 5 star. How else does it justify the marketing of TATA motors, where the level of aggression to highlight safety is to such level that they take direct potshots in mocking Maruti. From such a company, not having crash test rating for harrier/safari simply means, they don't get 5 star. As simple as that.
Neither am I convinced about the way Global NCAP functions - they claim that they "buy" cars off the shelf with shadow customers - what prevents them from buying one of harrier/safari and testing ? and how come they are able to "buy" a car like TATA punch before it starts selling in showrooms and then release a 5 star rating for it ?
It's murky business, the underhand deals between a vehicle manufacturing company and a privately owned testing company (GNCAP, who claim to be non-profit) who have cleverly kept "global" in their name to appear 'international'.

Last edited by venkyhere : 9th December 2021 at 10:08.
venkyhere is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 9th December 2021, 11:27   #1540
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by venkyhere View Post
A company who brandishes crash test ratings like gallantry medals, on all their models, right from lower segment to mid segment to CSUV segment... don't want to do it with their flagship models offered in the highest segment they are in currently ? Smells wrong. That means, I as a consumer have to assume that the thing doesn't score 5 star.
Yes Tata brandishes crash test ratings like gallantry medals for every right reason. They are building safe cars and have crash tested them. So they have every right to be proud of it. Atleast it is a company that is leading the industry in terms of focussing on safety while others were focussing on giving you tin cans with gizmos. If you and I are taking safety seriously, they have a role to play in it as well.

But does that mean that it has to be for all the models in their portfolio? If Safari / Harrier are tested, it might not score a 5 star or even a 4 star or may be no stars at all, you and I dont know the outcome now but can only speculate. But I would consider things more positively considering Tata to have proved that they are serious about safety.

Though there might be elements that would render a lower crash test rating I would be more confident in believing that Safari / Harrier would have been built with safety in mind unlike the top 2 in the market (Maruti / Hyundai) and other who have not shown a sincere attitude towards safety. How many of the hot selling cars in India have a safety rating? Do we share so much of frustration on those manufactures as well?

Happy to have healthy discussion and meaningful ones. But chewing on assumptions and speculation beyond a limit does not give a forum reader like me any value and thats my point.

Last edited by Jude300 : 9th December 2021 at 11:33.
Jude300 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 9th December 2021, 18:14   #1541
BHPian

Hi All, I have been reading all the posts (some very heated) on TATA being TATA and some defending the safari to the point of being branded fan boys. As an owner, I give below my continuing observations/hurdles/quality issues and I urge you all analyse it objectively. As mentioned in my previous post, the check engine light along with the def light came on again after visiting 3 TASS centres and finally the call was taken to tow the vehicle to TAFE ACCESS Chennai and do a detailed analysis. I can tell you honestly that I was very upset that the Safari was towed after finishing only 11000 kms but the silver lining was that the service of towing and call support was very professional.
2021 Tata Safari Review-safaritowed.jpg

It took TATA 3 days to analyse that the urea tank was faulty and needed to be replaced. It took another 7 days for the parts to arrive and finally I got the safari back.
2021 Tata Safari Review-ureatank.jpg
As soon as I received the car, I took it for a 1000 km drive and ended up falling in love with the safari all over again. Finished the entire drive with my 78 year old Dad and even he was very comfortable throughout the journey.
2021 Tata Safari Review-backontheroad.jpg

In case you didn’t notice the handle, here it is.

2021 Tata Safari Review-doorhandle.jpg

As soon as I called up TASS regarding the door handle, they said that they will replace it within a week and parts have been ordered. The point that I’m making is that there are vendor issues/quality issues/service issues with TATA. But I am cautiously optimistic that they are really putting an effort in the right direction to get their act together. The moment my car went in for the 3rd time for the check engine issue, the TASS GM was on call with me everyday regularly updating me on the progress. There was also a TATA senior regional head for Tamil nadu who was available every time I needed clarification. While some may argue that a new product should not be like this, I say that stuff happens. It is the response to bad things that decide whether it is an experience to learn from or a bad situation to walk away from. So far, my vote is with TATA. I still believe in them for respecting the customer’s anguish and genuinely trying to solve the issue. Fingers crossed that like wine, the experience will only get better with time.

PS
Quote:
Originally Posted by UPC7955 View Post
The innovative patch repair performed by inserting the two ends of the PVC fuel pipe into the 10mm pneumatic connector. ....
Now, that's a member I can relate to. A guy who finds an answer to a problem instead of the other way around.
Neil Roy is offline   (57) Thanks
Old 9th December 2021, 19:54   #1542
BHPian

Safari owners. I am getting the attached view for the DEF gage. Can anyone clarify this icon as I am neither able to find it in the manual nor any pictures.
Attached Thumbnails
2021 Tata Safari Review-20211208_221556.jpg  

nainan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th December 2021, 20:00   #1543
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nainan View Post
Safari owners. I am getting the attached view for the DEF gage. Can anyone clarify this icon as I am neither able to find it in the manual nor any pictures.
I believe thats the DEF (Diesel Exhaust Fluid) gauge. Basically showing the level of "ad-blu" (the more commonly known name, like Xerox) in your DEF tank. You should top it up when it nears the lower mark, which won't happen any time soon given its usual usage quantities.

Last edited by Reinhard : 9th December 2021 at 20:12.
Reinhard is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th December 2021, 10:51   #1544
BHPian

Hello BHPians,

Has any Safari/Harrier owners installed front parking camera and/or sensors as official accessary? I am planning to install one of the two as at times it becomes difficult to park in tight spots. Also due to height of the vehicle, at times shorter objects in front are missed.

I will appreciate any feedback or suggestions if there are other alternatives.
varman742 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th December 2021, 11:26   #1545
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard View Post
I believe thats the DEF (Diesel Exhaust Fluid) gauge. Basically showing the level of "ad-blu" (the more commonly known name, like Xerox) in your DEF tank. You should top it up when it nears the lower mark, which won't happen any time soon given its usual usage quantities.
Actually the gauge I am familiar with but the cloud like icon is confusing me. That icon used to be like a petrol pump and thats how its represented in the manual(Attached pic). There is a smaller one if you look closely at the current level. I did get my first service done but am not sure if it changed then or is it some sort of warning.
Attached Thumbnails
2021 Tata Safari Review-def_gauge.jpg  

Most Viewed