Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th February 2021, 08:32   #151
Senior - BHPian

Re: 2021 Tata Safari Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by damodar View Post
This reviewer got a figure of 19kmpl in city traffic! Watch around the 6:00 min mark. Although for the entire trip he ended up with 13kmpl.
It's somewhat misleading. Mileage indicated by the MID is very volatile for the initial stages of the drive. As you can see it hovers around 9.xx mark at 5.20 min mark in video and rises quickly to 19 kmpl after few seconds. The mileage obtained in the end seems more realistic.
Old 7th February 2021, 08:40   #152
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kung_foo_fanta View Post
Guys! NEWS!
So, I called the nearest dealer to me in Kerala (Hyson Tata) and when I just asked him about the expected price for the Safari, he said that the base option would be starting at 18 and the top end, XZA+ would be going for 23L ex-showroom, which would apparently reach 28 OTR
He said he didn't have a pricing sheet with the breakdowns or on-road pricing yet... but I think we can figure that out.
Kerala is among the most expensive states to buy a car, isn't it? My cousins automatic fortuner cost him ballpark 45lacs on road, that's shocking!

I think the Harrier itself is 17.5 lacs ex showroom for the base, while the XUV500 starts close to 19 lacs ex showroom!

Albeit M&M do good offers across their range and I expect attractive XUV500 offers once the Safaris prices are announced.
Old 7th February 2021, 08:42   #153
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07CR View Post
It's somewhat misleading. Mileage indicated by the MID is very volatile for the initial stages of the drive. As you can see it hovers around 9.xx mark at 5.20 min mark in video and rises quickly to 19 kmpl after few seconds. The mileage obtained in the end seems more realistic.
Tata MIDs are badly exaggerated when it comes to fuel efficiency figures.

In my Storme v400, I have checked fuel efficiency over a couple tankfulls now. It returns a solid 13.5 kmpl overall. (30 : 40 : 30 - city : rural : highways & 100% ac, 2 occupants)

The 2.0 fiat diesel will surely be 1-2.5 kmpl more efficient than the 2.2 Varicor diesel in my storme. The new safari is lighter and more aerodynamic than the storme too. So I won't be surprised even if the overall fuel efficiency hovers between 15-16 kmpl. But with full load (read - 7 people + luggage), it might end up givingg 13-14 kmpl which is still very respectable.

Expecting anything over 16 kmpl is just asking too much from a 170 bhp diesel engine.

Last edited by PrasannaDhana : 7th February 2021 at 08:46.
PrasannaDhana is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 7th February 2021, 09:02   #154
Senior - BHPian

My friend booked the new Safari, after paying Rs. 30,000. His number was 35. He says he has never seen so many people at the Tata showroom. I'll go check it out today. Looks like the Safari branding has paid off (Many had said/predicted that Gravitas would be DOA, so the name change has definitely rocked), now the product has to deliver.
Sebring is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 7th February 2021, 13:45   #155
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortbread View Post
Kerala is among the most expensive states to buy a car, isn't it? My cousins automatic fortuner cost him ballpark 45lacs on road, that's shocking!

Albeit M&M do good offers across their range and I expect attractive XUV500 offers once the Safaris prices are announced.
Oh yes! Kerala is indeed one of the most expensive. I think the Flood Cess that we levy plays a role in this, along with the already high 20% road tax. We have become quite accustomed to the pricing now, actually.

Like, nowadays, pricing for all over India is released and then the next obvious question for us is, "Okay, but how much is it in Kerala?"

And yes, hoping for the XUV500 to spoil Tata's happiness with yet another wonderful pricing strategy.

Hope, it's a strange thing.

Just hoping that it will not be like how it turned out after we hoped for AWD in the Safari... a mirage.
Old 7th February 2021, 18:20   #156
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Took the Safari out for a long drive and enjoyed cruising in Tata's latest:
2021 Tata Safari Review-20210207-12.19.12.jpg

3rd-row access is far better in the bench seat variant, whose seat tumbles forward:
2021 Tata Safari Review-20210207-13.48.38.jpg

Tata has been making continuous improvements and the '21 Safari feels like a different beast compared to the '19 Harrier. Still not as "polished" as the Koreans though (whether Creta on the lower side or Tucson on the other side). Love the engine & Hyundai-sourced AT. So good that the MT is irrelevant now. Don't like the wheel upsize to 18 inchers; you feel more of the road now and sharper bumps are more prominent inside. I also think Tata might have firmed the rear end up to handle the additional weight of 120 - 140 kilos at the tail (3rd-row passengers). Steering is still heavy at crawling speeds and too light / sensitive at high speed. Car has amazing presence & turns heads.

I would buy the Safari over the Harrier simply because of the 3rd-row seat, and that iconic "Safari" brand. Even if I use the 3rd-row seat just once in 2 months, it's still eliminated the need for a 2nd car 6 times a year. With a big group of family & friends, more seats are always welcome.

Was hosting a party on the terrace, and everyone who came asked about the Safari parked downstairs. BRILLIANT marketing move in using the Safari brand.

Every time I drive a Tata, I face a bug. Now, in the Safari, the music's max volume would unpredictably become restricted in Bluetooth mode (would drop to 60% of actual max volume). It happened after a call, and then a couple of times without a call. Used the "windows" technique of restarting the car and the problem would disappear for a while, before appearing again.
GTO is offline   (46) Thanks
Old 7th February 2021, 18:35   #157
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Every time I drive a Tata, I face a bug. Now, in the Safari, the music's max volume would unpredictably become restricted in Bluetooth mode (would drop to 60% of actual max volume). It happened after a call, and then a couple of times without a call. Used the "windows" technique of restarting the car and the problem would disappear for a while, before appearing again.
Pretty sure it's the media volume limiter feature in your phone and not a bug - comes on by default for headphones and other Bluetooth audio devices
JishD is offline   (22) Thanks
Old 7th February 2021, 19:21   #158
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

I would buy the Safari over the Harrier simply because of the 3rd-row seat, and that iconic "Safari" brand. Even if I use the 3rd-row seat just once in 2 months, it's still eliminated the need for a 2nd car 6 times a year. With a big group of family & friends, more seats are always welcome.
I would buy the Safari more for the disk brakes all round as well as the more elegant handbrake
ajmat is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 7th February 2021, 19:56   #159
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Could also be due to the speed-sensing auto volume control that Tata ICE's have. My storme increases volume when the car goes beyond a certain speed, reduces the volume to about 30% when reverse gear is engaged. It also fades away gradually with the incoming call before letting out the ring.

Speed sensing volume control settings can be changed.

Last edited by PrasannaDhana : 7th February 2021 at 19:57.
PrasannaDhana is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 8th February 2021, 07:55   #160
BHPian

Quote:
Even if I use the 3rd-row seat just once in 2 months, it's still eliminated the need for a 2nd car 6 times a year. With a big group of family & friends, more seats are always welcome.
I read a few comments earlier in the thread that the new Safari, with the Pano Sunroof will not support roof mounted luggage carrier. This would be a bummer and render the 7 seater useless to be used for weekend gateways with family when you really need to haul 7 people. We would end up using this as a 5 seater at max and an occasional 7 seater in city usage.
The problem is with 7 people, there is no room for luggage even 2/3 suitcases and here is where my Hexa roof mounted luggage carrier comes handy.

Question - Does this mean that if someone buys a version without the Pano Sunroof, they can use the roof for mounting luggage carrier ? What about similar other cars with huge Pano Sunroof, do they have the same problem ? Like Jeep, Hector, Endevour ?

Last edited by swarnava.ch : 8th February 2021 at 08:15. Reason: adding other cars question
swarnava.ch is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th February 2021, 09:40   #161
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swarnava.ch View Post
I read a few comments earlier in the thread that the new Safari, with the Pano Sunroof will not support roof mounted luggage carrier. This would be a bummer and render the 7 seater useless to be used for weekend gateways with family when you really need to haul 7 people. We would end up using this as a 5 seater at max and an occasional 7 seater in city usage.
The problem is with 7 people, there is no room for luggage even 2/3 suitcases and here is where my Hexa roof mounted luggage carrier comes handy.

Question - Does this mean that if someone buys a version without the Pano Sunroof, they can use the roof for mounting luggage carrier ? What about similar other cars with huge Pano Sunroof, do they have the same problem ? Like Jeep, Hector, Endevour ?
1. Yes, you understand correctly. Since the front pane of the sunroof in the Harrier/2021 Safari, ie the part of the sunroof that opens, does so over the rear glass pane of the sunroof ("outside" the car), the roof rails are just cosmetic on the Safari models with panoramic sunroof.

2. Nope. All cars certainly do not suffer from this issue - better engineering solutions are employed by other manufacturers. In the Endeavour, the front pane of the panoramic roof opens and tucks in under the rear panel (ie inside the car), and is very much compatible with roof racks. Many owners use them as well.

Attaching illustrative pictures from TeamBHP reviews:
https://www.team-bhp.com/carpics/202...acelift-24.jpg

https://www.team-bhp.com/carpics/201...deavour-24.jpg
Mu009 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 8th February 2021, 09:50   #162
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Took the Safari out for a long drive and enjoyed .. 3rd-row access is far better in the bench seat variant, whose seat tumbles forward:
Wonder why Tata believes that the middle person in the second row (bench seat variant) does not need a headrest. It is absolutely needed both from safety (whiplash injury during a rear shunt) and comfort perspective.

Absence of rear-middle headrest is a glaring omission for most vehicles sold in India. In most cases, even if the international variant has it, it gets removed in the Indian version to save a few bucks.

If manufacturers want to skimp on the rear middle seat headrest for cost-cutting reasons, they should atleast provide two holes at the top of the seat so that customers can put their aftermarket headrest into those slots if they want to.

Except for the Kia Carnival, most of the 7/8 seaters don't have any practical storage space at the rear. With all the 3 rows up, occupants will have to literally carry their luggage on their lap. Wish we have a Kia-Carnival sized offering with AWD and higher ground clearance

Last edited by for_cars1 : 8th February 2021 at 10:05.
for_cars1 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th February 2021, 10:26   #163
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by for_cars1 View Post
Wonder why Tata believes that the middle person in the second row (bench seat variant) does not need a headrest. It is absolutely needed both from safety (whiplash injury during a rear shunt) and comfort perspective.
One of the reasons that I can think is that an head rest on the middle seat at second row will reduce the already reduced rear view. When the middle seat is occupied, its again reduced but on 70% of the normal commutes the car is not 100% occupied.
Superleggera is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th February 2021, 11:08   #164
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superleggera View Post
One of the reasons that I can think is that an head rest on the middle seat at second row will reduce the already reduced rear view. When the middle seat is occupied, its again reduced but on 70% of the normal commutes the car is not 100% occupied.
Yes it 100% blocks the view through the tailgate glass. But without belaboiring the obvious, regardless of the headrest, if a person is sitting there, the view is already getting blocked. So I believe they should definitely provide a headrest , which can be removed and neatly stowed away under the bench with Velcro straps and a covering flap when the car is being used in city commute mode.

Cheers, Doc
ebonho is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th February 2021, 11:38   #165
Distinguished - BHPian

So - I went to the nearest Tata dealership - Panchajanya Motors, NH48 bypass, Warje, Pune - to check out the new Tata Flagship. (Real purpose was to roll the wheels of my Nexon that wasn't moved since more than 2 weeks now due to workload.)

Summary of the visit -
  1. Dealership is good, sales attitude is not bad. Attended me within 5 seconds of entering the showroom, even when there were existing 10-15 customers on the floor.
  2. Safari AT is on display & MT is available for TD already. I'd have taken a TD - if AT was available. Gave this feedback to the sales rep.
  3. They asked if I wanted to exchange my shiny Nexon when they saw it. I only gave a smirk back.
  4. They've rather naughtily parked the display car with its back against a wall. There is no way to open the rear hatch. They don't want you to view the boot. Jokes apart - I think this has happened because they have parked the car bang in front of the entrance door for first sight.
  5. Anyone looking for a real 6/7 seater premium car - your search might end here. This is the elusive Yeti (pun not intended!)
  6. Yours truly is 6'3". Middle captain seat is at its rearmost position with comfortable recline. Yet - I have no problem in 3rd row.

2021 Tata Safari Review-row3_legroom.jpg

7. Similarly - even when sitting upright - my head does not brush the roof liner. There is about an inch or 2 left. Misjudged speed breaker / pothole may cause head touching the soft liner though. Yet - this space packaging is excellent for 3rd row in this segment I'd say.

2021 Tata Safari Review-row3_headroom.jpg

8. The car is an eye-catcher. Certainly distinct than the Harrier. The blue shade's sparkle, depth & finish is exquisite. A job well done surely. It looks uber-awesome especially in sunlight.
  9. One important aspect often when spending 20+ big ones on a car is - to impress the people around with your car & grab respect and attention. The Safari will serve this purpose beyond any doubt. It will make heads turn & conversations stop when you make an entrance. Just like the good-old Safari Storme did.
  10. Now the one bit I didn't like. With the driver seat in somewhat middle height setting - this is the view I got. A lot of it was roof and a lot of it was bonnet! I can certainly get a better view if I lower the seat - but that would bring it to near Nexon seat height. That takes away the Safari's king of the road position altogether when driving. Bummer. (That said - average height folks won't face this issue.)

2021 Tata Safari Review-driverview.jpg

11. Since it was an XZA+ and key wasn't available - I was not able to move the electric seat to the right position to try. Showroom should take care of such things.
  12. Material quality & finish - both are excellent. Nothing to complain as such. Cabin layout and storage spaces are good.
  13. Steering height and reach adjustments have healthy travel ranges. Would be easy to find a good position immediately. Glad that the reach adjustment is available from base trim.
  14. Another silly mistake in showroom - the sun-roof was closed & key was not given with easy access. (I believe due to safety aspects considering frequent occurrences of people accidentally driving off the car through the glass!) This means - the biggest USP of the car - the massive sun-roof - is not visible to the customers when inside the cabin. With a TD car not available all the time - the showroom should tweak the wiring of the show-car to give access to seat controls, sun-roof controls and ICE of the car without the key being available. These are the items that are going to sell the car!
  15. Tata should really have provided an electric tail-gate with this car. This is an unforgivable miss for a car that will cost as much as its going to cost.
Quote:
Had a conversation with BHPian & Nexon owner @Zhopudey yesterday in a different context. If 7 seats is the only ask - would it make sense to have a car that costs 25 lakhs (and that on our horrible roads) to acquire & has in general higher ownership cost thanks to premium quotient?

Or - should one buy 2 Nexons (or any CSUVs) within about 21 Lakhs, and have 10 seats + loads of luggage space, better mileage, redundancy around year with a car always available & lesser ownership costs? This was of course a discussion on a lighter note.

Last edited by Reinhard : 8th February 2021 at 11:55.
Reinhard is offline   (38) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks