Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 25th March 2022, 10:03   #1996
BHPian

Re: 2021 Tata Safari Review

I plan to buy the Safari Dark Edition. Have been in touch with Key Motors and KHT in Bangalore. I now am pondering over the following:-

1. Is it better to go for a bit of protection - PPF, Ceramic Coating etc?
2. Does this (PPF, Ceramic Coating) enhance the look/shine of the car?
3. I hear PPF is costlier but also better than Ceramic Coating. Is the extra cost worth it?
4. Is it better to have this done before taking delivery?

Would love to hear from you on these aspects.
Thank you.
Old 25th March 2022, 15:08   #1997
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandytimes View Post
Is it better to go for a bit of protection - PPF, Ceramic Coating etc?.
It is definitely better to have PPF or Ceramic done considering Safari dark color to get scratch marks easily.

My Safari Dark delivery is planned next week and I am planning for Ceramic on top and PPF on sides during 1st month itself.

Combination of PPF & Ceramic will be an cost saving option.

Below is a good video of PPF live demo.

ramjiramu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th March 2022, 20:15   #1998
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramjiramu View Post
It is definitely better to have PPF or Ceramic done considering Safari dark color to get scratch marks easily.
Hey thanks, Ram Ji. That was very nice of you. Thanks for the video too. Are you planning to get the PPF and Ceramic Coating done prior to delivery from the dealer itself?

Last edited by Sheel : 26th March 2022 at 08:01. Reason: Broken quote tag fixed.
Sandytimes is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th March 2022, 01:00   #1999
BHPian

I have done ceramic coating on my Safari.
So here are my two cents

PPF is better than ceramic in terms of paint protection from scratches.
Ceramic does maintain the gloss and shine of the paint . However it’s so thin layer (4 to 7 micron) , that it will not prevent even minor scratches. It had costed rs 30000 for my Safari.
For dark colour, it’s better to have PPF.
However in terms of cost - full PPF was estimated to around 1 lakh plus , by the leading brand . Also for deeper scratches or dents, replacing the damaged PPF involves changing the film on entire panel. Patchwork looks shoddy after some time.
It’s better to get PPF or ceramic done immediately after the delivery. So that original paint quality can be retained. The damage to paint in open sunlight, or due to bird dipping or swirl marks due to hard water exposure, all these can not be reversed if you do the coating later on .
It’s better to get the PPF or ceramic done from a dedicated workshop, rather than from the Showroom. It requires certain degree of expertise, and reliability.

There is a dedicated thread for PPf vs ceramic, which you can refer to.
NitSat is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th March 2022, 09:55   #2000
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitSat View Post
I have done ceramic coating on my Safari.
So here are my two cents
Wah! Thanks Friend for such a detailed and thoughtful response! This is most helpful.

Yes, I'll certainly go over to the thread you've mentioned.

Last edited by Turbanator : 26th March 2022 at 10:01. Reason: Fixed the broken link
Old 27th March 2022, 14:03   #2001
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by grimmreaper_gtr View Post
Tata had advertised a roof box for sunroof variants. On asking a dealer, I got a quote of 1.2L, which seemed exorbitant.
Update: The dealer confirmed that the box cannot be used on sunroof variants (unless we do some Desi jugaad with cross-bars) and the price is pretty much non-negotiable. On comparing with other branded boxes, the price bracket matches that of Thule products. For non-sunroof variants, the box comes with a max load rating of 75kg.

Another piece of info: The Adventure Persona models in white are available at half the waiting period of the tropical mist color option.
grimmreaper_gtr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th March 2022, 12:47   #2002
BHPian

Thanks @NitSat & @Sandytimes

I got a PPF quote ranging from 1.3 to 1.6 Lacs for Safari this weekend from both showroom and accessories stores. Accessories stores were cheaper ranging around 1.3 lacs.

As you pointed out rightly, in case of deep scratches or dent, that entire panel needs to be redone with PPF. This will be extra cost again.

I live in Pune and is highly prone to bikers and rickshaws scrapping doors, fenders and boot in spite of out best defensive driving techniques.
So, I felt a bumper to bumper insurance policy with NCB protector costing around additional 10k per year is a cheaper option.
This will allow me to get scratched or dented panels look like new for 3 times in a year for just minimal deductible amount of insurance (~500 Rupees)
When I discussed the same in front of salesman with my friend, salesman was speechless and had no further comments. He sensed that I got the ultimate logic and didn't further try to sell PPF.

Anyway, I decided for PPF on bonnet and below door handles alone where swirl marks or scratches will be very much visible. Rest of the body, I will get a standard Ceramic done to keep the shine intact.

Also, dealer gave me below option which is minimal package costing around 12K. I will get bonnet done here instead of front & rear corner panels.
Please add your thoughts.

2021 Tata Safari Review-capture.jpg
ramjiramu is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 28th March 2022, 17:50   #2003
BHPian

Hello all. Something interesting happened last day. One day, I noticed that my one week old Safari was missing a plastic cover inside front wheel arch. This was a Friday, and I had made plans for the weekend. I immediately called up the service centre to say that I will be there the next day to fix this - it was just a screw and can’t take more than 10 mins. Then came the unpleasant news that the part was not in stock and would take a week’s time to be received at the service centre. The service centre guy told that its not a big deal and that it was just a plastic part.

I took a peep inside the wheel arch to see what is exposed. Found that the headlamp housing and wires (possibly for headlamps) were visible. With the rains in Kerala on evenings, I was worried if water splashes would damage something else.

Decided to do something as a makeshift arrangement - the existing cover on the other side is not water sealed by any means. On Saturday, I used the following items to make a cover myself:
1. An old matrix notepad with plastic hard bound. The plastic hard bound was the main item.
2. One screw and a rubber washer from our tools kit.
3. Scissors.
4. 3M double sided tape.
The simple DIY was done in 30 mins. I figured out that the one screw might not be enough to hold the plastic cover in place. So I cut slits on the cover which would act as clips. Used double sided tape to re secure the set up.

I drove 100kms last day and found that this set up is intact and hadn’t moved at all. So I certified myself that this would be fine till the part arrives.

Pics
1. Missing cover before this DIY
2. Makeshift cover
3. A shot from the weekend drive
Attached Thumbnails
2021 Tata Safari Review-baab4287e0444e2d854d48a3296cebc7.jpeg  

2021 Tata Safari Review-980f166dc86c4d93b5622e1f6af0e71a.jpeg  

2021 Tata Safari Review-04e0b61e15a44b71a3a7beebd360455a.jpeg  

NotanF1driver is online now   (25) Thanks
Old 29th March 2022, 10:58   #2004
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramjiramu View Post
Thanks @NitSat & @Sandytimes

I got a PPF quote ranging from 1.3 to 1.6 Lacs for Safari this weekend from both showroom and accessories stores. Accessories stores were cheaper ranging around 1.3 lacs.
Thanks Ram Ji! This adds another dimension to our thoughts on protection for the vehicle. I think I need to think some more now

Last edited by Sheel : 29th March 2022 at 11:36. Reason: Broken quote tag fixed.
Old 29th March 2022, 16:26   #2005
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotanF1driver View Post
one week old Safari was missing a plastic cover inside front wheel arch.
It is disappointing to see Tata missing a part. I wonder if dealer's assemble some parts which are not fixed during transit.

I went for PDI of my Safari within same day of arrival at dealer stockyard and found it to be soiled inside and out. Not sure if it was driven directly from plant to stockyard but apart from soiled floor and dust rest all was ok.

But, appreciate your innovative makeshift arrangement. Hat's off to great Indian jugaad.
Old 29th March 2022, 17:46   #2006
BHPian

Zekardo provides PDI as service and I had hired them. They do a detailed check of the car as well as run some diagnostics. They charged me 2.5k. Alternatively, look up the PDI checklist of Team BHP.

Quote:
Originally Posted by saurabh_tan View Post
Hi Everyone,

I apologise if these issues have been discussed earlier and this post is repetitive. My questions are below:
  1. What to keep in mind and/or check while conducting the PDI
  2. Is there a diagnostics that the dealership can run to ensure that everything looks ok or is this demand an overkill?
Torque_Cruiser is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th March 2022, 18:42   #2007
BHPian

Can anyone comments on the ride quality of Tata Safari. Ride quality is of paramount importance to our family. I test drove Tata Safari, XUV700 and Carens and Carens was supremely comfortable followed by XUV700 and then Safari. Safari was too hard on the spine. My heart is stuck with SUVs but the practicality quotient is shouting CARENS!!
guru_to_be is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th March 2022, 10:39   #2008
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by guru_to_be View Post
Can anyone comments on the ride quality of Tata Safari. Ride quality is of paramount importance to our family. I test drove Tata Safari, XUV700 and Carens and Carens was supremely comfortable followed by XUV700 and then Safari. Safari was too hard on the spine. My heart is stuck with SUVs but the practicality quotient is shouting CARENS!!
I TDed both XUV700 and Harrier and while I found XUV ride quality to be better and lower speeds while Harrier had better ride quality at highway speeds. Please do check the tyre pressure of the TD vehicle if you find the ride too jarring - often they are overinflated, and it contributes to the bone-jarring ride.

--Anoop
Old 31st March 2022, 13:48   #2009
BHPian

Dear Friends,
I stay at Bannerghatta, Bangalore and wish to book the Tata Safari Dark Edition in the next couple of weeks. Request you to share your thoughts on the following:-

Is it better to buy the vehicle from the dealer nearest to me (Key Motors)? Or, should I also get quotes from other dealers (KHT Domlur, for example) and go for the best deal I get?

Thanks.
Old 31st March 2022, 15:53   #2010
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandytimes View Post
Dear Friends,
I stay at Bannerghatta, Bangalore and wish to book the Tata Safari Dark Edition in the next couple of weeks. Request you to share your thoughts on the following:-

Is it better to buy the vehicle from the dealer nearest to me (Key Motors)? Or, should I also get quotes from other dealers (KHT Domlur, for example) and go for the best deal I get?

Thanks.
My advice would be, to shop around and book with the showroom which gives the best experience.

--Anoop

Most Viewed