Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11th February 2021, 18:59   #196
BHPian
 
puntOOs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 47
Thanked: 107 Times
Default Re: 2021 Tata Safari Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard View Post
Or - should one buy 2 Nexons (or any CSUVs) within about 21 Lakhs, and have 10 seats + loads of luggage space, better mileage, redundancy around year with a car always available & lesser ownership costs? This was of course a discussion on a lighter note.
To each their use case! Two cars make sense for those with multiple drivers/commute requirements at home and if they like to make long drives with luggage and everyone traveling. The one bigger car makes sense for single driver/commutes and when not everyone at home is going on the long drives. Plus 2 cars maintenance and fuel also has to be considered.
puntOOs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th February 2021, 19:53   #197
GTO
Team-BHP Support
 
GTO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Bombay
Posts: 60,163
Thanked: 193,230 Times
Default Re: 2021 Tata Safari Review

With cars, the more the cupholders & such storage spots, the better. On my drive last weekend, see the kind of stuff I fitted in. Two coffee flasks, water bottle, Savlon disinfectant spray and a hand sanitizer. All MANDATORY for long drives. Still had lots of room for more.

2021 Tata Safari Review-0.jpg

2021 Tata Safari Review-1.jpg
GTO is offline   (22) Thanks
Old 11th February 2021, 22:54   #198
BHPian
 
abhisheksircar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 394
Thanked: 726 Times
Default Re: 2021 Tata Safari Review



It's good to see this wonderful forum's feedback proudly presented amidst the biggies like Top Gear, Autocar etc by Tata. They know the sentiments quite well.

And yes, saw the blue Safari in person today in a quite empty stretch without any distractions. It's a definite WOW when it comes to the design factor. Really good presence. The new Tata Safari, at least in this forum, went through the strongest scrutiny as it was standing against a pretty reputed product. Itself. It sure did shine splendid. The pricing will be the last checkbox which I hope Tata does not disappoint with.

Last edited by abhisheksircar : 11th February 2021 at 22:59.
abhisheksircar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th February 2021, 10:54   #199
BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2020
Location: Pune
Posts: 340
Thanked: 776 Times
Default Re: 2021 Tata Safari Review

Any specific reason Tata is delaying the price announcement? Tata needs to commence sales of Safari ASAP before the XUV500 arrives. I am pretty sure Mahindra will do a great job, and when it arrives will steal the thunder from the Safari.

IMO if the price will be 27~L for top end Diesel automatic Safari a sense of Deja VU is in the offing. Hector vs Harrier, anyone remember?
07CR is offline  
Old 12th February 2021, 11:15   #200
Senior - BHPian
 
ebonho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Pune
Posts: 4,388
Thanked: 5,101 Times
Default Re: 2021 Tata Safari Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
With cars, the more the cupholders & such storage spots, the better. On my drive last weekend, see the kind of stuff I fitted in. Two coffee flasks, water bottle, Savlon disinfectant spray and a hand sanitizer. All MANDATORY for long drives. Still had lots of room for more.
These cupholders make sense ergonomically. The ones in my Storme are ahead of the gear lever under the dash in a little cubbyhole. They've held all sort of stuff over the years (pens, change, toll receipts, goggles, etc) but never held a cup yet.

Cheers, Doc
ebonho is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th February 2021, 16:16   #201
BHPian
 
krishnakarthik1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 237
Thanked: 1,074 Times
Default Re: 2021 Tata Safari Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07CR View Post
Any specific reason Tata is delaying the price announcement?
I think the big bosses priced this at 30 lakhs OTR. A junior to the junior manager might have pointed out to him that it's more expensive than the Innova. Then the junior manager might have gone to the manager and the manager might have asked him to send a memo which was to be sent to the big bosses.

That memo which was sent to the big bosses might have come back with a question asking 'Is there a vehicle called Innova'.

Now as I type this the clerk to the junior of the junior manager is typing a reply which will be sent to the big bosses of the sarkari company who will deliberate over liters of tea and tones of biscuits and send a report to the biggest boss RT. He shall think and let us know and we shall wait till then.
krishnakarthik1 is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 12th February 2021, 17:08   #202
Senior - BHPian
 
ebonho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Pune
Posts: 4,388
Thanked: 5,101 Times
Default Re: 2021 Tata Safari Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by krishnakarthik1 View Post
I think the big bosses priced this at 30 lakhs OTR. A junior to the junior manager might have pointed out to him that it's more expensive than the Innova. Then the junior manager might have gone to the manager and the manager might have asked him to send a memo which was to be sent to the big bosses.

That memo which was sent to the big bosses might have come back with a question asking 'Is there a vehicle called Innova'.

Now as I type this the clerk to the junior of the junior manager is typing a reply which will be sent to the big bosses of the sarkari company who will deliberate over liters of tea and tones of biscuits and send a report to the biggest boss RT. He shall think and let us know and we shall wait till then.
I think you either have someone very close working in Tata Motors, or some time in the recent to remote past you've had opportunity to actually crack the facade behind the TASS and regional TaMo officials and take a peek into the HUGE sarkari morass that is Tata Motors.

I know I have. And it was NOT a pretty sight or remotely pleasant experience.

But EVERY word you've typed, satirical as others might take them to be, is 100% accurate as to the reality of the mega monolith behind these vehicles.

And I say this as a 3rd generation Tata boy. Unabashedly.

Jo hai so hai. Agar kaam kiya hai to bolna padega. Lol

Cheers, Doc
ebonho is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 13th February 2021, 12:46   #203
GTO
Team-BHP Support
 
GTO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Bombay
Posts: 60,163
Thanked: 193,230 Times
Default Re: 2021 Tata Safari Review

Mod Note: Please don't discuss the old Safari Storme & take this discussion off-topic. Some posts have been deleted. Thanks for the support & understanding
GTO is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 13th February 2021, 17:12   #204
BHPian
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: BLR/TVM
Posts: 43
Thanked: 131 Times
Default Re: 2021 Tata Safari Review

A review which has the Safari Storme side by side with the new Safari 2021, this helps to get a good perspective of how they compare visually in terms of size (height really) and looks



His comment at 14:30 - 14:35 about the old Safari is actually so true.

Note: Not discussing the old Safari, just posting a comparison between the old and new.

Last edited by kochup : 13th February 2021 at 17:14.
kochup is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 13th February 2021, 20:35   #205
Distinguished - BHPian
 
RavenAvi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Flying Around
Posts: 6,326
Thanked: 41,289 Times
Default Re: 2021 Tata Safari Review

The siblings, side-by-side. Thanks to Rajbinder.

2021 Tata Safari Review-photo20210211114303.jpg

2021 Tata Safari Review-photo20210211114304.jpg

2021 Tata Safari Review-photo202102111143042.jpg
RavenAvi is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 14th February 2021, 17:19   #206
Newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2020
Location: Delhi
Posts: 17
Thanked: 65 Times
Default Re: 2021 Tata Safari Review

TML would be shooting themselves in the leg if they price the Safari at a more than 1L premium for the lower models going up to 1.5L for the top end.

I did a test drive today at Prabhadevi, Mumbai and here is my experience. Positives have been focused by many so I will just focus on the stuff that were deal breakers for me.

Negatives:
1. Steering is very poor, its light at high speeds which kills confidence and is a disservice to the carís high speed capabilities
2. The white upholstery is a deal breaker, one shouldnít be expected to buy a top model and then invest in seat covers
3. The fit and finish misses and panel gaps are Tata trademark now
4. The NVH levels are still not fitting for a vehicle that demands 25L. Even the 2.2D and 2.0P engines from Mahindra (seen in the thar and to be seen in the XUV500) seem a generation ahead in terms of pure refinement and response
5. The music system (though JBL) has a poor response. Even a 10-15K after market upgrade to a stock system would yield better low frequency output and clarity
6. Horn is inconsistent
7. The armrests for the captain seats are ergonomically flawed
8. Co-driver electronic seat adjustment is a big miss for a top end at this price
9. The Top end variant at 25+ lacs should have have LEDís. Bi-xenons are pretty sad.
10. Tata sales and after sales service is a big hit and a miss. Many still donít feel confident in investing so much in this segment for such a risky proposition (even though TML has improved its still miles behind the others)
pelican90 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 14th February 2021, 19:15   #207
Senior - BHPian
 
PrasannaDhana's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: TN
Posts: 1,908
Thanked: 8,385 Times
Default Re: 2021 Tata Safari Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by pelican90 View Post

I did a test drive today at Prabhadevi, Mumbai and here is my experience. Positives have been focused by many so I will just focus on the stuff that were deal breakers for me.
Wow! You definitely should wait for the XUV 500.

That definitely seemed a bit too much of a nitpicking to me. You mean Fiat's 2.0 D has worse response than the 2.2 diesel of Mahindra? That's news to me. No offense meant.

Last edited by PrasannaDhana : 14th February 2021 at 19:16.
PrasannaDhana is offline   (20) Thanks
Old 14th February 2021, 19:49   #208
Senior - BHPian
 
PrideRed's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: BLR/PTR
Posts: 2,262
Thanked: 4,983 Times
Default Re: 2021 Tata Safari Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrasannaDhana View Post
Wow! You definitely should wait for the XUV 500.

That definitely seemed a bit too much of a nitpicking to me. You mean Fiat's 2.0 D has worse response than the 2.2 diesel of Mahindra? That's news to me. No offense meant.
I haven't heard the Safari, but 2.2 in XUV is quite refined from outside. It gets a bit coarse as it grows older but on a relatively new car, refinement is close to Hyundai diesel, which to me is best in business when it comes refinement among diesel.
PrideRed is offline  
Old 14th February 2021, 21:26   #209
BHPian
 
venkyhere's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: hump city
Posts: 787
Thanked: 2,226 Times
Default Re: 2021 Tata Safari Review

your opinions and conclusions are what you experienced, so no one can say you are wrong ; so my response is meant purely for people who are going to be reading/researching this thread before forming their own opinion of the car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pelican90 View Post
4. The NVH levels are still not fitting for a vehicle that demands 25L. Even the 2.2D and 2.0P engines from Mahindra (seen in the thar and to be seen in the XUV500) seem a generation ahead in terms of pure refinement and response
this I find to be an exaggeration. Had the comparison been with a hyundai diesel, I would agree, but such a conclusion about 2.0 MJD after comparison with a mahindra mhawk/mfalcon diesel, is, IMHO, prejudiced

Quote:
Originally Posted by pelican90 View Post
9. The Top end variant at 25+ lacs should have have LED’s. Bi-xenons are pretty sad.
HID (xenons) with projectors - still the better way to light up the road, rather than namesake "LEDs inside reflectors / behind projectors". Unless it is something similar to carefully designed multisource "matrix" lighting (audi/bmw/mercedes/volvo etc) , most LED lighting solutions (unless the bulbs are from GTR lighting or morimoto or such top notch brands) are crap, compared to HIDs behind projector lenses.

Last edited by venkyhere : 14th February 2021 at 21:28.
venkyhere is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 14th February 2021, 21:35   #210
Senior - BHPian
 
Sebring's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Dubai/Bengaluru
Posts: 2,058
Thanked: 5,893 Times
Default Re: 2021 Tata Safari Review

That's because you have probably experienced cheap Chinese rip-offs. I have top-of-the-line Philips LED set up, all from the US. If you're in Bangalore, I invite you home for an illuminating session.
Quote:
Originally Posted by venkyhere View Post
HID (xenons) with projectors - still the better way to light up the road, rather than namesake "LEDs inside reflectors / behind projectors". Unless it is something similar to carefully designed multisource "matrix" lighting (audi/bmw/mercedes/volvo etc), most LED lighting solutions (unless the bulbs are from GTR lighting or morimoto or such top notch brands) are crap, compared to HIDs behind projector lenses.

Last edited by Sebring : 14th February 2021 at 21:52.
Sebring is offline   (6) Thanks
Reply

Most Viewed
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks