Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th April 2022, 09:41   #2086

Re: 2021 Tata Safari Review

Tata’s vehicle’s steering running left is endemic. I have had this issue in the Altroz diesel since my purchase 5 months ago. Two visits to the service station and repeated requests each time has not resolved the problem. By the way, I also completed 10k this week. Cheers!

Getting back to the issue, I have reported it to the service advisor, but every time the vehicle is returned in the same condition. I don't follow it up because the guys at the TASS I visited are just not competent.

My engine oil had severely degraded, even before 7500 kms on the odo. I asked them to replace it, even when the manual recommends a change at 15k kms. On asking the reasons for early degradation, they replied that the factory ECU settings were such that injectors were throwing in too much fuel which got mixed with the engine oil and hence, degraded the quality.

I don’t believe them one bit because I had got the ECU update done on the first (1k kms) service, on their recommendation. I had asked them, back then, to check if fuel was mixing with engine oil, to which they replied, after inspection, that it was not the case, and it won’t happen now since they had upgraded the latest ECU update. Now on the second service, their reply was just to answer my query, technical considerations be damned.

Just to emphasize, on the first service, I had asked them to do the ECU update, which they didn’t first and just sent out the vehicle with job card closed. When I asked before leaving if they had done it, they admitted that they had forgotten it but will do it now. Such a waste of my time!

So, the steering issue remains unresolved, as ever, and I don’t have the patience to follow up on everything with incompetent professionals. When you are paying for something, you expect some quality in service. Here, I have to fight for basic issues with TASS staff. Deep within, I am so frustrated that I think, if they try to resolve the problems, they will create more issues than fix one.

XZ+ comes equipped with cruise control, which I use extensively, while doing long 12-hour runs. But my right shoulder blade pains because of holding the steering for long hours to keep the vehicle straight. The left drift isn’t much, but it is noticeable.

All said and done, the vehicle is great, the diesel engine is sufficiently powered and the ride quality and seating comfort (front seats) is great too. Its just the service I am disappointed with. Planning to take it to MRF’s alignment facility and get it checked, something which TASS should have already taken care of.

I have read numerous posts stating this problem in various models, Safari, Harrier, Nexon alike. I don’t understand why the company does not do something about it.

Also, just to add a bit of info to address the concerns of prospective buyers of Tata’s BS6 diesels, I have not had any DPF issues until now, 10k kms done. Although my runs are mostly (>80%) highways, so the high revs, raise the temperature enough to keep the filter clean, may be a problem with city commuters. My brother has had these issues in BS6 diesel Seltos thrice, at just 5500kms with 100% city runs, in Kanpur, where high traffic volume does not allow shifting beyond the second motor. Even a BS6 diesel Innova in the family, reported DPF check light with mostly city-runs in Delhi.

At least I haven’t faced any DPF issues yet, which is a greater concern, thanks to the incompetence meted out by service station staff (including service advisors).

People who have had this steering issue resolved successfully, may pls advise fellow BHPians on how to proceed with the issue!
SomanshuK is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th April 2022, 19:08   #2087
BHPian

Please provide me suggestions for headlight upgrade. I am getting Kaziranga edition 7seater getting delivered in coming week. I am looking for suggestions from owners who have upgraded and can recommend for me as well. Please provide me the technical details of the upgrade so that I can get it planned to be done on the day of delivery itself. Thanks in advance
msk_kapoor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st May 2022, 00:30   #2088
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rshreyansh View Post
Hello everyone,
I wanted to share a recent positive experience with the Tata ASC here in Patna.
Updating on this:
Called the Service Centre today and was asked to bring the car to change the brake pads.

Went to the service centre and the work was completed in 30-40 minutes. Was able to see that the car originally came with RANE brake pads and the new brake pads that were installed today had SBK written on it. As mentioned by BHPians here, the brake pads costs around Rs.8000, though mine were replaced under warranty.

The pressing issue of noise from front brakes has vanished and I hope it stays that way.
Rshreyansh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st May 2022, 08:36   #2089
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashish2135 View Post
My Safari completed 1 year on 6th April. It has been driven almost 9900 kms. I took it in for the third service. I told the SA about the vehicle veering towards left and he said that wheel alignment will correct the issue.

After the service the vehicle was still veering towards left as if wheel alignment had never happened. I went in again the next day and the GM service joined for a drive and both agreed on the issue being present. He suggested that they do a wheel calibration but the issue might come up again if driven over bad roads. The dealer can vouch for the job only for 6 months if the vehicle is driven on proper roads. I left the car for wheel calibration. After collecting the car I took the SA and the GM service for a drive again and the problem was controlled but it still persisted.

The GM service tried to blame the uneven roads.
I knew that the problem here is something more than that can be corrected by whee alignment and calibration. I told the GM service about other cars on Team-BHP having the same issue. They simply refused to admit that their cars have a problem.

I took the contact number of the Regional Manager of Tata Motors and told him about the issue. Got a vague reply from him regarding an action plan from the production team. The mail has still not come their side an how to resolve this issue.

I’ve reached a point that I’m quite fed up of the vehicle. Although a small issue, it is quite dangerous and cannot be ignored. Many a times it also takes away from the pleasure of driving this otherwise amazing car.

Fellow members facing similar issues please let me know.
Hi, I've experienced a similar issue on our new Polo and Tiguan and will try my best to share my learnings as I tried a few things to fix the issue. Firstly, I'd request you to obtain a wheel alignment report from your authorised service center.

The issue could be due to multiple reasons but only time will tell which of these is most applicable to you.
  • New Tyres
  • Wheel Alignment
  • Steering Wheel Off-Centred
  • Camber Sensitive Subframe position
Tyres
If it is the tyres, you can let them take some time to see if the issue settles. Our Tiguan would slightly veer left but after covering 8000kms, this issue magically went away. If this doesn't go away, you can have the tyres rotated to see if a particular tyre was causing the left pulling.

Wheel Alignment
This is the first step that most service centers will end up checking for this complaint, but on most simple front wheel drive cars like a Polo for instance, a typical wheel alignment only ends up correcting the Front Toe. Not all cars have adjustable camber for the front axle.

If the toe is an issue, your car will not brake straight, nor will it accelerate in a straight line, assuming there isn't too much of torque steer that we are accounting for. The toe could still not be fixed after multiple alignments if the alignment specifications are incorrect, so please request Tata Motors to ensure their specifications are up to date.

Camber and Subframe
The camber setting depends to a huge extent to the tolerance available in the subframe as the subframe is mounted to the car during assembly. For roads in India, where we drive on the left side of the road, the typical road crown and inclination is towards the left. A small left pull is thus expected on our roads, but I totally understand you since my Polo has caused quite a hand ache during my initial ownership.

To battle the road crown, some cars are deliberately given some extra camber and caster on one side compared to the other side, so the car does not feel uncomfortable to drive on heavily crowned roads. Now as I mentioned earlier, not all cars have a scope for correcting the camber on the front and so the subframe can be slightly mediated perpendicular to the direction of travel to travel to adjust the left and right camber, caster.

I personally feel this should be the last resort after all of the previous simpler tests have been completed. A subframe shift might make the car weight sensitive, might just worsen the issue and make the steering crooked, steering might lose it's feedback and might feel sloppy. This is what happened to my Polo after the subframe was shifted by the service center but fortunately I had the factory camber caster values as a reference to correct the issue.

Steering Wheel Off-Centred
This could be if the steering wheel is not at the centre position with respect to the steering rack gears and hence the alignment has gone for a toss. In these cases, the car drives perfectly fine when the steering is slightly tilted say at 1 or 11'o clock positions. Removing the steering wheel and re-centering it or aligning the car with the wheel at the slight offset could solve the problem.

I have attached some videos and references which I had seen during diagnosis and fixing of this issue. Hope these help you try and fix your issue.

Last edited by fluidicjoy : 1st May 2022 at 08:37.
fluidicjoy is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2022, 19:36   #2090
Distinguished - BHPian

Tata Safari XZA+ Dark 7 Seater - PDI

2020 - 3 brothers with three c2 segment sedans

2021 Tata Safari Review-screenshot_20210916095738_facebook.jpg

Though my primary ride was the Ciaz 1.3 diesel, I enjoyed driving the Rapid 1.6 TDI and Vento 1.5 TDI whenever we met

2021 Tata Safari Review-screenshot_20210916095532_instagram.jpg

2021 Tata Safari Review-img20190816wa00122.jpg

Early 2021, I sold my Ciaz and decided to use my Storme Varicor 400 as primary ride

2021 Tata Safari Review-fb_img_1644389074666.jpg

Mid 2021, my brother had a major head on crash with a lorry. He was lucky to survive it without a single scratch, but the Rapid was declared total loss. 1.8 lakh km of reliable service in 8 years! He wanted to go for a SUV next and chose Harrier. I did suggest used Octavia 2.0 TDI (new octys came only in petrol), but his affinity towards the Harrier won.

So 2 sedans were out and 2 SUVs took their places.

2021 Tata Safari Review-20210619_064454.jpg

The only sedan was the 2018 Vento 1.5 TDI

2021 Tata Safari Review-20210827_112624.jpg

Now he wanted a 7 seater as the family is growing. Vento was put for sale. Lovely car! 4 years and 70,000 km of flawless ownership.

2021 Tata Safari Review-screenshot_20210916095157_instagram.jpg

He had booked a Safari XZA+ Dark 7 seater and the car reached the dealership. We did a PDI today. The car had no issues. It is getting registered tomorrow or the day after.

18 inch tyres. Will definitely ride stiffer than the Harrier.
2021 Tata Safari Review-20220503_161733.jpg

2021 Tata Safari Review-20220503_161700.jpg

2021 Tata Safari Review-20220503_161022.jpg

The infotainment screen looks a bit small for the area of the dash. Also wish they gave a nicer steering wheel. Nexon/Altroz get flat bottom steering wheel which is nice to hold.

2021 Tata Safari Review-20220503_160958.jpg

Leg room with driver seat set to 5'10 driver

2021 Tata Safari Review-20220503_160446.jpg

2021 Tata Safari Review-20220503_160510.jpg

2021 Tata Safari Review-20220503_160427.jpg

Just 19km on the odo
2021 Tata Safari Review-20220503_160357.jpg

2021 Tata Safari Review-20220503_160130.jpg

What I like about the Safari -

Engine - Fiat's 2 liter Kryotec is a nice engine. I loved every bit of extracting all those 170 PS in the Harrier MT on the highways. It's fun to drive in the sports mode with enough grunt and can munch miles effortlessly

Looks - it looks great and has nice road presence. Dark shade is awesome, though requires a lot of effort to maintain

That being said, I am sure that guys who are used to driving fun to drive sedans/hatchbacks will always feel that lacking in Harrier/Safari. My brother who bought the Harrier still misses the Rapid 1.6 tdi at times on ghats and twisties. He is completely impressed with the space and comfort the Harrier offers.

This one who is replacing the Vento with Safari will definitely appreciate the mile munching capability, ride quality and space. But he will definitely miss the driving dynamics of his previous cars. Specially when his last rides were all fun to drive machines -
Opel Astra - Skoda Octavia 1.9 Rider - Volkswagen Polo GT 1.6 TDI - Vento 1.5 TDI.

I hated the way the steering of Harrier remained light even at upper triple digit speeds. I am not sure if Safari is going to be any different.

Will have to wait till run in is over and I get my hands on it on the highway. Personally, owning Safari Dicor in the past and Storme currently, I feel the sense of space isn't as much in the new Safari as the old gen. Let's be honest, the older Safaris were practically very spacious 5 seaters and that's about it. Last row jump seats were useless. But then first 2 rows had unmatched legroom, headroom and shoulder room. New Safari, in comparison, doesn't feelas spacious. 3rd row is a joke. It's suitable only for kids. Front seats are nice, 2nd row is good provided you aren't 6ft+ and the front row is also occupied by 6 footers. Even Harrier feels more spacious in the 2nd row than the Safari, even after moving the Safaris 2nd row to the back most position. Don't get me wrong, I am talking from the perspective of a tall person. For an average Indian family, Safari is still a great 6/7 seater. Only that Storme/hexa owners won't find the space impressive in the new Safari. I must also admit that the body roll is much lesser in the new Safari/harrier vs the older gen Storme/Safari. The new Safari is also a faster car, being 200 kg lighter than the old gen Storme and also being shorter. Much better power to weight ratio and aerodynamics. New Safari also feels thoroughly modern in comparison to the barebones Storme.

Will I replace my Safari Storme with a new Safari in the future? Thats not going to be a quick yes, unless I check out MG Hector and XUV7OO thoroughly. Well, that decision is still a few years away and let's hope some more options are launched by then.

AC vents to all rows, USB outlet to the 3rd row were all nice touches. Wondering why rear AC controls were kept in the 3rd row instead of 2nd row.

It makes me wonder how the market underestimated the Hexa. It definitely was a better 6/7 seater than the current Safari. Varicor 400 was equally refined as well as powerful. Hexa had better ride quality too. It was a flop retailing at 21 lakhs on the road for the AT top end a few years ago.

Now, Safari top end AT costs 28.4 lakhs OTR! Surprisingly it sells much better than the hexa.

Will update about how the car performs after we clock a few thousand kilometers.

Last edited by PrasannaDhana : 3rd May 2022 at 20:04.
PrasannaDhana is offline   (25) Thanks
Old 4th May 2022, 12:29   #2091
BHPian

Greetings, fellow Tata enthusiasts and owners.
I need some advice regarding the purchase of an XZA+ Safari. My family had booked the Adventure persona XZA+ last month to be purchased through CSD, however the recent price hike has resulted in the model no longer being listed in CSD. The price difference as a result is 2.3lakh.
The biggest factor that made us pick that model was the beige coloured seats which are easier to maintain than the whites. Our predicament now is to either pay the 10% premium for those seats or to get the regular XZA+ with white seats.
Is it in any way possible to get the seat upholstery changed to beige aftermarket (with ventilated seats)?
Also, barring the XUV700, are there any good alternatives to the safari that offer similar space and features around the same price?
Old 4th May 2022, 14:53   #2092
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by grimmreaper_gtr View Post
Is it in any way possible to get the seat upholstery changed to beige aftermarket (with ventilated seats)?
Would recommend not to fiddle with them since the front seats also have airbags.
Instead either you chose another variant like Dark or Kaziranga or opt for a lower variant XTA+(but then you lose out other features too).
revved_up is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th May 2022, 16:32   #2093
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by grimmreaper_gtr View Post
Greetings, fellow Tata enthusiasts and owners.

Also, barring the XUV700, are there any good alternatives to the safari that offer similar space and features around the same price?
Having been in the same boat as you in Dec-Jan as far as looking for an alternative in the same price point is concerned, the answer is an overwhelming "NO"

The XUV 700 is a good machine no doubt, value for money may be, more bang for the buck too. However i booked, cancelled and went for the Safari, primarily 'cause i will not wait 6 months for a set of wheels.

The Consideration was also that my SUV has to seat my 70 year old Mother with two Total Knee Replacements in Comfort and she felt the the Safari seating was much better. She somehow felt claustrophobic in the XUV 700, and she said she didnt like to sit so low down, the seat apparently is a leather sofa in which she can doze off comfortably (Her Words)
With all due respect it might just be a personal bias as she had similiar complaints for my XUV 500 which i drove for more than a lakh km over a period of almost 4 years without any reason to complain. However almost 5000 kms later, i can safely recommend the Safari in terms of the comfort.
nairanupg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th May 2022, 18:05   #2094

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramjiramu View Post
Hello All,

In continuation to my post earlier here (2021 Tata Safari Review)
Great to see your Safari. Where did you do the car detailing in Pune & how was the experience (work quality, pricing, etc.)?

Last edited by vb-saan : 10th May 2022 at 09:15. Reason: For ease of reading, quote only the relevant portions. Thank you!
Tavinder is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th May 2022, 20:06   #2095
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rshreyansh View Post
the brake pads costs around Rs.8000, though mine were replaced under warranty.
Brake pads come under wear & tear parts and are not usually replaced under warranty. Any special reason here? Perhaps goodwill?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrasannaDhana View Post
Now, Safari top end AT costs 28.4 lakhs OTR! Surprisingly it sells much better than the hexa.

Will update about how the car performs after we clock a few thousand kilometers.
Congratulations on the new car. I too wonder sometimes how I got sold to top end at such cost. But with 2K plus on odometer, no regrets so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tavinder View Post
Great to see your Safari. Where did you do the car detailing in Pune & how was the experience (work quality, pricing, etc.)?
I got it done from a workshop located in Mundwa. Google for Moto Moto Works and you should be able to find it.

Overall work quality was excellent. So far no bubbles under PPF or any other issues.

Pricing breakdown as below:
- Full front PPF (Bonnet, Fenders, front bumper) - 18500
- Standard 14points (4 door cups, 4 door sills, 2 rear view mirrors, 4 bumper corners) - 12000
- PPF to some of the glossy plastic parts and center console - No extra cost
- For rest of the body, 3D brand Ceramic & for glass areas, 3D brand co-polymers - 10000
- Underbody coat - 2500

Total cost - 43000

It took full 2 working days to complete this work.
ramjiramu is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th May 2022, 00:40   #2096
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramjiramu View Post
Brake pads come under wear & tear parts and are not usually replaced under warranty. Any special reason here? Perhaps goodwill?
You are right. Brake pads do come under wear and tear parts.
As in my case, the brakes were making noises since Day 1 and they acknowledged it in the First Service too. Not sure on the goodwill term though, they had to do something about it as the problem emerged in a new car. Brakes on a new car making a racket is not normal. I am not undermining the prompt resolution by TATA in any way, I'm a happy customer and I hope it stays that way.

Last edited by Rshreyansh : 5th May 2022 at 00:47. Reason: Better phrasing
Rshreyansh is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th May 2022, 13:54   #2097
BHPian

Last Saturday, went for PDI of the Safari XZA+ Dark and found a small scratch on the front left Bumper area. Key Motors (JP Nagar, Bangalore) said they'll see if this can be handled by their technicians or else they'll request for a part replacement that'll take 15 days to come from the Factory. I am wondering whether the refitting of the Bumper can be done efficiently by local technicians..? Or should I accept the car with whatever they can do (it wasn't too big or too deep a scratch)?

May I request your thoughts on this, Friends?
Old 5th May 2022, 14:05   #2098
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandytimes View Post
Last Saturday, went for PDI of the Safari XZA+ Dark and found a small scratch on the front left Bumper area. Key Motors (JP Nagar, Bangalore) said they'll see if this can be handled by their technicians or else they'll request for a part replacement that'll take 15 days to come from the Factory. I am wondering whether the refitting of the Bumper can be done efficiently by local technicians..? Or should I accept the car with whatever they can do (it wasn't too big or too deep a scratch)?

May I request your thoughts on this, Friends?
I would just let them polish/repaint it. Part replacement is not needed unless there is a dent. Make sure their garage does a good job and it looks just as good as new. You can haggle for some freebies like mats to be thrown in if you are feeling upset.

Honestly, I wouldn't sweat it. Bumpers get damaged and repainted/replaced all the time in our road conditions anyway. My current car is on it's 4th bumper and it's pretty much impossible to tell if it's the one that it came with or not.
Old 5th May 2022, 19:47   #2099
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandytimes View Post
Last Saturday, went for PDI of the Safari XZA+ Dark and found a small scratch on the front left Bumper area.
Dark color with a scratch won't look good if it falls right into the line of our sight.
A picture of it will help in determining the next course of action.

Last edited by ramjiramu : 5th May 2022 at 19:48.
Old 5th May 2022, 22:48   #2100
BHPian

Dear All,

I need some inputs on a weird issue I started observing on my brand new Tata Safari Dark which just completed 1 month anniversary.

I started noticing weird grinding sound when steering is rotated to either left or right at low speeds.

Initially I thought it to be due to tire pressure. But, after correcting the tire pressure the issue is still persisting.

The more miles are getting added to the car the issue is becoming more prominent and moved from annoyance level to irritation and dissatisfaction.

Since, I had completed 2K on odometer, I got it serviced at nearby Tata Service Centre. SA says its the tire sound but I am not satisfied with the answer and hence posting here.

I did some more digging and could isolate and reproduce the issue.

- From 8secs in video you can hear a hard grinding sound when steering is slightly moved.
- Issue occurs while driving and taking turns and doesn't occur when not running.
- Issue reproduces when engine is revved in neutral and steering is slightly rotated.
- Issue does NOT occur when engine is not revved.
- AC on/off is irrelevant for this sound issue.

Fellow forum members, please share your thoughts what this issue could be on a brand new car.

I hope TATA takes some action before dissatisfaction moves into regret for me.
ramjiramu is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks